Creature from the Black Lagoon remake?

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Gojira, Apr 30, 2012.

1. Gojira

Gojira Commodore Commodore

I just watched the origianl Creature from the Black Lagoon last night and knew at one point recently that a remake or reboot was being discussed. I found this on Wikipedia with no citations (big surprise) so I was wondering if there is any truth to this and what people here may know.

In March of 2012, Universal announced that a reboot is in production, and will simply be referred to as The Black Lagoon rather that The Creature from the Black Lagoon, in order the distingush the two, the film is expected to hit theaters by May of 2013.

2. Lonemagpie

Lonemagpie Writer Admiral

Stephen Sommers' original follow-up to the 1999 The Mummy was going to be Rick and Evey in South America, as a remake of CFTBL - but we ended up getting The Mummy Returns instead. I'd rather they'd stuck to the original plan...

3. Gojira

Me too. I would still love to see a remake of CFTBL.

4. Captaindemotion

Captaindemotion Admiral Admiral

IIRC Guillermo Del Toro was supposed to be interested in a remake some years ago but if he is to make all the movies that he's been linked to, he'll need to live to 200.

5. 23skidoo

23skidoo Admiral Admiral

I dunno if a remake of Creature would work. Unlike the Mummy, Frankenstein, Dracula, Wolf Man, there really wasn't a character behind Creature. The appeal was a guy in a rubber swimsuit canoodling with Julie Adams in an erotic undersea ballet. The other characters Sommers and others reinvented had strong backstories. Creature never really had that.

Alex

6. Gojira

I think with today's special effects they could give the creature more personality and better motives for his actions.