Hulu Snaps up Abrams-Produced Drama
By: T'Bonz on Sep 25

Abrams To Receive Award
By: T'Bonz on Sep 24

Trek 3 Casting Rumor Reactions
By: T'Bonz on Sep 24

Trek Comics Sneak Peek
By: T'Bonz on Sep 23

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old April 27 2012, 08:09 PM   #1
Turtletrekker
Vice Admiral

New Mutants movie?

Spinoff Online is reporting that FOX may be thinking expanding their X-Movie franchise with a New Mutants movie.

Instead of an X4 maybe? In the article, they ask how this would be different from "First Class" other than the time period. A good question.

I'm a fan of the New Mutants, but am wondering if this would be tapping the well once to often?

Last edited by Turtletrekker; April 28 2012 at 01:49 AM.
Turtletrekker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 27 2012, 08:38 PM   #2
Geoff Peterson
Fleet Admiral

Re: New Mutants movie?

As long as the never actually refer to the group as "The New Mutants" it might be okay.
Old April 27 2012, 11:11 PM   #3
JD
Admiral

I don't know the characters, but if they can get some of the people behind FC involved I'd probably be up for it. I wonder if they'd treat it as an actual spin off of the first 2 X-movies or as a completely separate entity?
Old April 27 2012, 11:14 PM   #4
Admiral_Young
Fleet Admiral

View Admiral_Young's Twitter Profile

X4 was once rumoured to be developed as a New Mutants film with Zak Penn writing the script. This was a couple of years before they began developing what would ultimately become "X-Men: First Class". I still say don't rule out X4. Laura Donner stated as recent as last spring time that they're still considering it. I still believe they are holding out hope that Bryan Singer could come back to direct it after "Jack the Giant Killer". I know Singer has a couple movies on his slate but he's been known to drop some as well If they're developing a "New Mutants" film this is a clear sign that they're very pleased with the mutants right now. "X-Men: First Class" critical acclaim obviously has given them confidence to develop more films. Right now we have:

-The Wolverine
-Untitled X-Men First Class Sequel
-New Mutants
-Deadpool (still in development, waiting for Ryan Reynolds?)
-X4 (possibility)

Ignoring the The Last Stand since 2011.
Admiral_Young is online now   Reply With Quote
Old April 27 2012, 11:16 PM   #5
RoJoHen
Awesome

Admiral_Young wrote: View Post
Laura Donner stated as recent as last spring time that they're still considering it.
Last spring was a year ago. Is that really considered "recent?"
Old April 28 2012, 01:43 AM   #6
DarthPipes
Rear Admiral

I'd absolutely love to see a New Mutants film. I started reading the trade paperbacks two years ago. Read the first 47 issues. Great series and among the best Claremont's written. It'll be great to see Dani Moonstar, Cannonball, and Sunspot on the big screen. Though I wouldn't put it past Hollywood to whitewash the cast.
DarthPipes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 28 2012, 07:32 AM   #7
Admiral_Young
Fleet Admiral

@RoJoHen that's recent in hollywood IMO. I haven't seen anything about X4 since last year. Like I said though, I still believe they're holding out for the possibility of Singer returning. It would seem obvious though that they're in no rush to develop it and are content with First Class and Wolverine.

Old April 28 2012, 01:17 PM   #8
Mr Light
Admiral

I've always found the New Mutants characters to be incredible lame, personally...

Mr Light is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 29 2012, 07:57 AM   #9
JD
Admiral

Honestly at this point I think I'd rather see something like NM with the original cast in a supporting role. By the time the next movie could be coming out it'll have been either 8 or 11 year since the last move, depending on whether or not you want to count The Last Stand, so I say we move on to something new. If they go on much longer we'll be entering TOS movie territory with most of the cast 50 or older. Of the 8 regular cast members, only Anna Paquin, Rebecca Romjin, and James Marsden are younger than 40 right now.
Old April 29 2012, 08:09 AM   #10
Admiral_Young
Fleet Admiral

I think that First Class's success might have paved the way for the "New Mutants" to come out of development hell. Like I said the idea has been around since after The Last Stand wrapped up. James Marsden's character is dead so don't need to worry about Scott The others though are getting on in age and also on to bigger things and might be busy schedule wise. Who knows though. First Class though really seems to have re-motivated Fox's attitude on the mutant front.

JD I love your avatar

Old April 29 2012, 09:58 AM   #11
Turtletrekker
Vice Admiral

DarthPipes wrote: View Post
I'd absolutely love to see a New Mutants film. I started reading the trade paperbacks two years ago. Read the first 47 issues. Great series and among the best Claremont's written. It'll be great to see Dani Moonstar, Cannonball, and Sunspot on the big screen. Though I wouldn't put it past Hollywood to whitewash the cast.
I'd also love to see Magma and Wolfsbane. Although, as with "First Class", which did not resemble the comic it was named after, they might just use the name "New Mutants" and use "student" mutants from all of the various incarnations of the idea since New Mutants as well. We might just see characters like Monet St. Croix, Rockslide, Pixie, Anole or even, God help us all, Quentin Quire on the team.

Last edited by Turtletrekker; April 29 2012 at 10:38 AM.
Turtletrekker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 29 2012, 10:40 AM   #12
Admiral_Young
Fleet Admiral

Quire's awesome though!!!!

Old April 29 2012, 10:46 AM   #13
Turtletrekker
Vice Admiral

I actually wouldn't mind seeing Broo.
Old April 29 2012, 10:49 AM   #14
Admiral_Young
Fleet Admiral

^ Broo's awesome too! Aww...who am I kidding? I love all the students at the school. I really have a hard time disliking any of them. Even Kid Gladiator.

Old April 29 2012, 11:57 AM   #15
Xavier_Storma
Lieutenant Commander

Seems Fox is aiming to go the AVENGERS route: Having multiple movies series and maybe merging them later:
- The Wolverine (2013)
- First Class sequel (2014)
- Deadpool (2014?)
- New Mutants (2015)

Maybe cumulatin in X-Men 4 in 2016? AVENGERS will pull in a lot of money, and Fox will want to copy the formula. Their most popular franchise are the X-Men. Maybe they will throw the F4 reboot into the established X-continuity?!

Great times to be an X-Men fan.