Horse 1, Shatner 0
By: T'Bonz on Jul 28

Drexler TV Alert
By: T'Bonz on Jul 26

Retro Review: His Way
By: Michelle on Jul 26

MicroWarriors Releases Next Week
By: T'Bonz on Jul 25

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek TV Series > Deep Space Nine

Deep Space Nine What We Left Behind, we will always have here.

Old March 30 2012, 08:40 PM   #1
IntrepidMan
Fleet Captain

Were the first two seasons a waste?

It seems to me that a lot fans don't think DS9 became a really good show until season 3, with the introduction of the Defiant, and season 4, when the "war arch" began in earnest (first with the Klingons, then the Dominion). A lot of people have commented on the "TNG-style" of the first two seasons, with a lot of stand-alone episodes that don't seem to have any over-riding point or story to tell and that aren't all that good. When people make lists of the worst DS9 episodes, I've noticed that a lot of the episodes come from the first two seasons.

So were these seasons a total waste? Do they matter at all--that is, does anything important or interesting really happen in them? Or are fans better off just watching (and re-watching!) the series from season 3 on?

And on a related note, why did the series change? Whose decision was it to add the Defiant, add Worf, bring back the Klingons as adversaries and later introduce the Dominion War arch? Did it have anything to do with the end of TNG--thereby freeing up writers and producers to work on the new series? Who were the people that made the show was it is today--generally considered the best Star Trek spin-off?

These are a lot of questions I've had on my mind lately. No doubt this topic has been discussed before!
IntrepidMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 30 2012, 08:54 PM   #2
SJSharksfan39
Admiral

View SJSharksfan39's Twitter Profile
Re: Were the first two seasons a waste?

The Second season is my third favorite season of the entire series so no I don't think it was a waste. As for Season 1, it was a decent start with the final two episodes really taking the series off.
Old March 30 2012, 08:56 PM   #3
Sandoval
Fleet Captain

Arc not arch.

And I think the first two seasons are definitely worthwhile, even though they aren't directly part of the overall story in the manner that begins in season 3.

Seasons 1 and 2 have some very good stories.
Sandoval is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 30 2012, 09:12 PM   #4
Sindatur
Vice Admiral

Season 1 and 2 had most of the Bajoran episodes, where we got to know Bajor, and their Politics and Religion. I personally like this aspect of the Series very much. Sure, there are some weak episodes, but, I am very glad we got to know Bajor very well, and I believe most of those who actively dislike S1 and S2 are the ones who don't like the Bajoran Politics and Religion episodes. I don't think there are more than 5 or 6 episodes (if that many) that I would even consider removing from the tapestry in S1 and 2 combined.

Where are we going? And why are we in this Handbasket?
Sindatur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 30 2012, 09:31 PM   #5
Photon
Commodore

Sindatur wrote: View Post
Season 1 and 2 had most of the Bajoran episodes, where we got to know Bajor, and their Politics and Religion. I personally like this aspect of the Series very much. Sure, there are some weak episodes, but, I am very glad we got to know Bajor very well, and I believe most of those who actively dislike S1 and S2 are the ones who don't like the Bajoran Politics and Religion episodes. I don't think there are more than 5 or 6 episodes (if that many) that I would even consider removing from the tapestry in S1 and 2 combined.
Agreeing w/Sandoval....those season set up what was yet to come and there was some very good acting in those first 2 seasons. Agreed there were more stinkers, than later, but some pretty compelling shows
Photon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 30 2012, 09:38 PM   #6
Temis the Vorta
Fleet Admiral

S1 has a few good stories; S2 has several.
Temis the Vorta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 31 2012, 12:55 AM   #7
The Dominion
Fleet Captain

Season 2 was already a big step up from season 1 I'd say. I consider 2 to be where the show "hit its stride" but it's true 3 was where the series consistency really set in. Season 2 was hardly a waste though, and 1 is certainly not thoroughly awful either.
Old March 31 2012, 01:12 AM   #8
BennyRussel
Commander

The second half of the OP's question was "Why did the series change?" The official answer was that the producers listened to the "fans." They were afraid the Bajoran political stories and religion themes were not catching on with enough people to the point where the show would have lasted.

They added more Odo/Quark interaction, more Garak, a ship and enemies to fight/fear - The Klingons, The Maquis and The mysterious Dominion. They cut back on the Bajoran stories and the religious aspects. They added Worf because they wanted to utilize the Klingons more and adding Worf made sense. They also "softened" the Kira character just enough to not intimidate men who are afraid of tough-minded women.

I personally loved the story of Bajor and its religion. I loved Kira the freedom fighter being wary of the Federation on her turf. I wanted to see more of the Prophets and the Emissary at work, but what the heck, the TV graveyard is full of short-lived shows that I loved. If some of them had changed maybe they would have lived long enough to provide more great episodes.

In the end, it seems they made the right choice because adding the new elements kept the show viable and allowed them to do some damn good TV.
BennyRussel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 31 2012, 01:28 AM   #9
sonak
Vice Admiral

to answer the question: not at all.

season 2 was one of DS9's best, and as someone who preferred DS9's original premise to the later war show that it became, I really enjoy early DS9.
sonak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 31 2012, 02:52 AM   #10
teacake
Admiral

Location: Militant Janeway True Path Devotees Compound. With Sehlats.

You can't interrupt lives with a war and have any impact unless you've grown attached to those lives as they are before war time.

"Damnit Spock. God damnit!" Kirk ST:V
■ ■ ■
Janeway does Melbourne
teacake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 31 2012, 04:37 AM   #11
wissaboo
Captain

View wissaboo's Twitter Profile

The series finale ties back to the first episode so much and to all the religious and political stuff set up in the first two seasons that the ending would not have had the impact it did, or even been possible, without the first two seasons.
wissaboo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 31 2012, 07:41 AM   #12
marksound
Fleet Captain

Short answer:

B&B went off to screw up Voyager and left DS9 alone.
marksound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 31 2012, 08:37 AM   #13
Sjaddix
Lieutenant Commander

I think you can cut in the few good episodes from season 1 plus the several from s2 and make one hell of a season.
Sjaddix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 31 2012, 05:34 PM   #14
BennyRussel
Commander

Carcazoid wrote: View Post
Short answer:

B&B went off to screw up Voyager and left DS9 alone.
I hear ya!
BennyRussel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 31 2012, 07:56 PM   #15
Supernuke
Commander

I actually love the first two seasons. You get to learn about the characters for the first time and there is more about the Bajoran occupation during that time than any other part of the show which I've always found interesting.