Trek Merchandise Sale
By: T'Bonz on Aug 28

Star Trek #39 Villain Revealed

Trek Big Bang Figures

Star Trek Seekers Cover Art
By: T'Bonz on Aug 27

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek TV Series > Deep Space Nine

Deep Space Nine What We Left Behind, we will always have here.

Old January 21 2012, 04:35 AM   #1
Eric Cheung
Fleet Captain

Season Seven: 13 years later

Okay, a couple of years ago I started rewatching DS9 with my girlfriend and I started a thread stating how Season 1 actually surprised me to an extent. I realized that a lot of the show at that point, though heavy on stand-alones, was better than I remembered.

In retrospect I remembered the show as constantly improving for the most part, but the first season was actually already strong in that the stand-alones weren't so much TNG clones as they were character and world-building opportunities set in the context of detective stories (as opposed to the more sci-fi style stories of TNG and VOY).

I'm finally in the middle of season seven and it too has surprised me.

I liked Ezri Dax at the time, but I read her as just sort of a quirky lightweight who wasn't in any position to be a counselor. But watching the season now, I'm impressed with her analysis, as well as the fact that she's quite conscious of how she uses her neurotic vulnerability as a counseling tool.

Before I took her role as counselor as akin to Keiko just deciding to be a teacher because she was "bored and stuff." But Ezri really was born to be a counselor.

And also, so far I think the only episode in the entire run where I genuinely agree with the crap it gets is "Profit and Lace." It was an episode I think I decided to pass the first time around, and I really do think it's as embarrassing as they say.

Overall, I'm quite pleased with how the show is going.

Any thoughts on late period DS9 upon recent viewings, especially if you haven't seen those episodes since they aired?
Eric Cheung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 21 2012, 05:11 AM   #2
Rush Limborg
Vice Admiral

Re: Season Seven: 13 years later

Eric Cheung wrote: View Post
I liked Ezri Dax at the time, but I read her as just sort of a quirky lightweight who wasn't in any position to be a counselor. But watching the season now, I'm impressed with her analysis, as well as the fact that she's quite conscious of how she uses her neurotic vulnerability as a counseling tool.

Before I took her role as counselor as akin to Keiko just deciding to be a teacher because she was "bored and stuff." But Ezri really was born to be a counselor.
Well said, good sir! I agree.

"Forget it, Jake...it's Chinatown."
Rush Limborg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 21 2012, 04:45 PM   #3
lvsxy808
Rear Admiral

I think the way she persuades Vic to get Nog out of the holosuite in "Paper Moon" is quite clever. And the way she manipulates Garak into a claustrophobic attack so she can force him to face it.

Read Deep Space Nine, Season 10
All 22 eps available to read on-screen or download and keep!
lvsxy808 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 21 2012, 04:49 PM   #4
BennyRussel
Commander

Eric Cheung wrote: View Post
Ezri was an Assistant Counselor before she was joined, so yes it was something she trained to do and was good at. Joining with the Dax symbiont (eventually) made her even better at the job because it made her more confident and wise.

The Ezri character just didn't have enough time. If she had been added at the beginning of Season Six, she would have gotten more development. But that would have meant losing Jadzia sooner. I'm not sure how I would feel about that.
BennyRussel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 21 2012, 07:50 PM   #5
Eric Cheung
Fleet Captain

Exactly. That she was already a counselor was something I had forgotten.

Also, I think Ezri and Jadzia could have run concurrently for a few episodes in season six if they wanted to do that.
Old January 21 2012, 08:05 PM   #6
Angel4576
Rear Admiral

I never had a problem with Ezri or season 7 in general. I know a lot of people did, but for me there's a lot of good episodes in there, and personally, I always preferred Ezri to Jadzia as I found Terry Farrell to play the character just a little too smug for my liking.
Old January 21 2012, 08:10 PM   #7
SJSharksfan39
Admiral

View SJSharksfan39's Twitter Profile

It's been a long while since I've seen Season 7, but I have grown to like Ezri over the years. I think what actually won me over the most was her opinion of the Klingon empire in Tacking into the Wind. For all the episodes before that, I think she was just trying to gain Worf's respect, and once she finally had it, hearing this woman talk about what is so wrong with the Klingon Empire and leading Worf to do what he did is probably my favorite moment of the entire season. It was then when I realized that yes Ezri was a great character, used the position of counselor well, and she really came into her own in that scene.
Old January 21 2012, 08:46 PM   #8
CommanderRaytas
Rear Admiral

You know, I used to think Ezri was a total ninny...but I guess that's because I loved Jadzia so much. But Ezri only had one season worth of character development, and she still managed to be an interesting, if at times silly (not to mention confused) character.

In short, I used to not care about her being there at all, but now I think she actually contributes to the show. The best scene ever (apart from Garak throwing her out of his shop) is where she tells Worf "I'm sorry to burst your bubble, but it wasn't that good".

Hehe.
CommanderRaytas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 21 2012, 10:10 PM   #9
P0sitr0nic
Vice Admiral

Send a message via AIM to P0sitr0nic

The only problem with season 7 was they didnt bring back Terry Farrell for her mirror universe chartacter to keep going. Maybe they tried to get her, maybe she said no, but they didnt have to kill off MU Dax (non-dax?) offscreen just because they couldnt fill the role.
Old January 22 2012, 02:10 AM   #10
MacLeod
Admiral

Has it really been 13 years? WAy to go to make us feel old(er) :P
On the continent of wild endeavour in the mountains of solace and solitude there stood the citadel of the time lords, the oldest and most mighty race in the universe looking down on the galaxies below sworn never to interfere only to watch.
MacLeod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 22 2012, 05:57 AM   #11
Eric Cheung
Fleet Captain

I think one of the only other things I thought about season seven that irked me at the time was that Ezri was being overused at the expense of the other characters, but even that's not true. I mean this was a season that had Odo hanging out with another changeling, and with Weyoun, and there was an episode focused entirely on Nog and Vic Fontaine!

Again, it sounds like I'm focusing on Ezri, or that I even had a major problem with her back in 98/99, but I actually had a bit of a crush on her. I had to laugh when Jake sort of revealed the same thing to his dad.

Not having Terry Farrell back was kind of too bad, but understandable, given she kind of felt done with her character and it seemed like there were some legal problems even getting the rights to use the clips in the finale.

But overall, again, I liked the way the show ended.
Old January 23 2012, 04:32 AM   #12
Rush Limborg
Vice Admiral

but I actually had a bit of a crush on her
Hey, mate--you're not the only one.

"Forget it, Jake...it's Chinatown."
Rush Limborg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 23 2012, 07:43 AM   #13
Bisz
Rear Admiral

I always liked Ezri and S7 and I don't think she was overused, so yah, pretty much agree with you.

As for terrible episodes, the only one I dont like in the whole run is The Muse.
Old January 28 2012, 03:42 AM   #14
Similitude
Rear Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Similitude

Good god I'm getting old. This was 13 year ago? Wow...
Similitude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 28 2012, 05:01 AM   #15
Kestrel
Vice Admiral

tomalak301 wrote: View Post
I think what actually won me over the most was her opinion of the Klingon empire in Tacking into the Wind.
One of my favorite scenes in Trek and really climaxes everything we've seen about the Klingon Empire over thirteen years of Star Trek.