Retro Review: The Emperor’s New Cloak
By: Michelle on Dec 20

Star Trek Opera
By: T'Bonz on Dec 19

New Abrams Project
By: T'Bonz on Dec 18

IDW Publishing March 2015 Comics
By: T'Bonz on Dec 17

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Misc. Star Trek > Trek Gaming

Trek Gaming Program Complete - Enter When Ready.

Old July 5 2012, 12:06 PM   #31
Jim Gamma
Rear Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to Jim Gamma
Re: STO: TrekBBS Armada and House of TrekBBS - Fleet discussion and FA

Problem with merging is that the other fleet throws you out if you go inactive. That's totally against our ethos here, so it just wouldn't work.
Jim Gamma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 5 2012, 03:45 PM   #32
Scout101
Admiral

Then maybe they aren't the answer, but problem remains. Maybe we should have a few people start 'dating' other fleets and see if we can find a match
Perhaps, if I am very lucky, the feeble efforts of my lifetime will someday be noticed and maybe, in some small way, they will be acknowledged as the greatest works of genius ever created by man. ~Jack Handey
STO: @JScout33
Scout101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 6 2012, 02:09 AM   #33
Blamo
Fleet Captain

If we do decide to stick with TrekBBS Armada, I'd recommend we focus ALL of our attention on the military tiers since that seems to be where the majority of the good stuff lies.
Blamo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 6 2012, 05:45 AM   #34
intrinsical
Commodore

First of all, lets have a show of hands. Lets see how many of us are volunteering to build up the fleet base on a daily/weekly/casual basis.

For myself, I play on a daily basis and whatever I can spare will go towards the federation fleet base. Very likely, I won't be able to contribute much to the kdf base as I don't often play on my lone kdf character.

Last edited by intrinsical; July 6 2012 at 11:44 AM.
intrinsical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 6 2012, 06:00 AM   #35
Ruaidhri
Commodore

View Ruaidhri's Twitter Profile Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Ruaidhri

I will happily contribute to the fleet starbase as I collect resources.
Ruaidhri is online now   Reply With Quote
Old July 6 2012, 08:56 AM   #36
Harvey
Admiral

If the KDF side wants to get involved, I'd be happy to contribute. I'm not sure how active I can be this summer yet -- real life and all that.

My blog: Star Trek Fact Check.
Harvey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 6 2012, 04:17 PM   #37
Rocketeer
Captain

Where's the Reader's Digest version of what needs to be done for the starbase?

For now, I'll say that I'll be a casual contributor. I'll consider changing to weekly after I know more details.

Considering FEDCON 23 in Dusseldorf, 29 May - 1 Jun 2014
Rocketeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 6 2012, 05:21 PM   #38
Bird of Prey
Fleet Captain

Rocketeer wrote: View Post
Where's the Reader's Digest version of what needs to be done for the starbase?

For now, I'll say that I'll be a casual contributor. I'll consider changing to weekly after I know more details.
Same here. I'll contribute when I can, but most of my playing time is on weekends, as I just don't really have much time during the week to play. I occasionally log in during the week for DOFFing, but that's about it.
Bird of Prey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 9 2012, 01:46 PM   #39
Ruaidhri
Commodore

View Ruaidhri's Twitter Profile Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Ruaidhri

So sad, I don't have permission to contribute to the fleet projects.

But I did ream out a bunch of cadets at inspection for poor posture and soiled uniforms! LOL
Ruaidhri is online now   Reply With Quote
Old July 9 2012, 03:59 PM   #40
Scout101
Admiral

Think we're kinda making my point. Not a lot of activity, and from those that are a little more active, it's mostly the 'I'll do a little when i can'. I'm not all that more active than most, doing daily DOFFing for a few min a day, then usually a few STF runs a couple nights a week.

Not saying we should be going at this hard, but it just doesn't feel like we'll get far with the current numbers and activity level.

If we can find another group to merge with (or actively start grabbing smaller fleets to join us), we can get this thing going, and our contributions will get us there. If it's just us, we don't seem like we're going to make it with a Fleet focus this season. Would prefer a merger, as I'd hate to have to go join a random group to get the benefits that an active Fleet are going to provide...
Perhaps, if I am very lucky, the feeble efforts of my lifetime will someday be noticed and maybe, in some small way, they will be acknowledged as the greatest works of genius ever created by man. ~Jack Handey
Old July 10 2012, 06:57 AM   #41
intrinsical
Commodore

Scout101 wrote: View Post
Think we're kinda making my point. Not a lot of activity, and from those that are a little more active, it's mostly the 'I'll do a little when i can'. I'm not all that more active than most, doing daily DOFFing for a few min a day, then usually a few STF runs a couple nights a week.

Not saying we should be going at this hard, but it just doesn't feel like we'll get far with the current numbers and activity level.
My perspective is somewhat different from yours. Unlike some other MMOs I have played where the base can deteriorate if the fleet members does not put effort in constantly maintaining it, the STO fleet base does not deteriorate. So every little contribution is a permanent step forward in the goal towards a tier 5 base.

Personally, I am in STO on a long term basis so I am not terribly concerned that we won't have a tier 5 base in a year. Instead, I am much more concerned with having a small group of friends who can play regularly.
Old July 10 2012, 08:58 AM   #42
Harvey
Admiral

As someone who only intermittently logs on (mostly to send duty officers off), what will we have to do to set up the starbase, exactly? Stockpile resources? Play specific missions?

My blog: Star Trek Fact Check.
Harvey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 10 2012, 11:36 AM   #43
Scout101
Admiral

The "small group of friends who can play regularly" is one of the problems, though. Outside of a big 'event' weekend, I almost never see anyone else online. There's occasionally 1-2 others on with me, max. Really, only fleet interaction at this point for me is in this thread. My game play consists of pickup groups off of the EliteSTF channel.

If we DID have a small group of active players, it would be fun. Not convinced that we do. Think we've got enough people on the roster to be considered a decent fleet, which means it'll take a while to build things, but most are inactive, so are actually hurting us on numbers. (thought smaller fleets would have an easier time building things?).

Either way, would like to see what more people think, but tough even getting voices in this thread. Where's our new Fearless Leader?

See where it goes when Season 6 launches, but seriously considering taking my main toon Fleet shopping if it looks like we're not gonna be able to get off the ground. If Fleet Actions are going to be a bigger part of the game, would like to be in a fleet where there's another person logged in at the same time as me. I've got an alternate toon I'd leave in the fleet no matter what (and a KDF), but just feeling that we're pretty stagnant/dead at this point, which is sad for one of the larger, more organized, groups of Trek fans on the web.
Old July 10 2012, 02:01 PM   #44
Trek
Fleet Captain

I'm here! My apologies for my absence over the last couple of months. I've been moving home and, along with another couple of personal issues, this has prevented me for getting into the game. However, these issues are now all cleared and I will now be online much much more (Starting from last night, I will try to be online every week night).

I'm thinking of running a fleet event at least once a week to encourage more of us online. I really want to get the fleet moving again and geared up for Season 6's release. That way we will be able to take full advantage of the new fleet actions.

I'll also take a look at the inactive members and see if we can encourage some of them back.
Twitter: @Trek88
Trek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 10 2012, 02:25 PM   #45
intrinsical
Commodore

Harvey wrote: View Post
As someone who only intermittently logs on (mostly to send duty officers off), what will we have to do to set up the starbase, exactly? Stockpile resources? Play specific missions?
Building up the base involves fleet members contributing toward projects selected by fleet leaders and senior officers. Each project has different requirements but in general they require fleet members to contribute stuff like equipment, commodities, crafting materials, bridge officer experience (to be renamed expertise soon), duty officers, refugees, dilithium, "Fleet Marks" and possibly more.

"Fleet Marks" are be earned when you successfully complete new fleet actions that will be released in Season 6. They include starbase defense (space and ground), convoy defense and "No Win Scenario" fleet action.