Insight Editions Announces Three Trek Books For 2015
By: T'Bonz on Jul 24

To Be Takei Review by Spencer Blohm

Mulgrew: Playing Red

Hallmark 2015 Trek Ornaments

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek TV Series > Deep Space Nine

Deep Space Nine What We Left Behind, we will always have here.

Old April 23 2012, 02:14 AM   #1
ElimGarak
Ensign

Why is alien orthography intelligible to every species on ds9?

e.g. consoles with what i assume to be cardassian script seem to be used by everyone on the station without issue.

i have no problem suspending my disbelief but I'm curious if any of you trek-scholars have come across an explanation from the show's writers/creators?
ElimGarak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 23 2012, 02:20 AM   #2
JustKate
Rear Admiral

Re: Why is alien orthography intelligible to every species on ds9?

I've wondered this exact thing. And books and other documents, too - I can accept the dramatic convention of the universal translator for speech, but how could that possibly work for print?
JustKate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 23 2012, 02:25 AM   #3
Temis the Vorta
Fleet Admiral

Everyone one wears UT contacts.
Temis the Vorta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 23 2012, 02:31 AM   #4
JustKate
Rear Admiral

^

I wonder if those would be really bothersome during allergy season?
JustKate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 23 2012, 02:51 AM   #5
Gary7
Rear Admiral

LOL--love the UT contacts idea, Temis.

Actually, given the technological levels involved with the equipment, I would have expected there to be a custom language module whereby various Cardassian dialects could be swapped... and that this could be re-engineered to accept other languages the Cardassians hadn't anticipated (like English). The first order of business for Miles would be to convert the language system for all console displays, independently settable for each person in their quarters if they wish to use their own native language.
Old April 23 2012, 06:15 AM   #6
starfox
Lieutenant Commander

Something like http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h2OfQdYrHRs ?
starfox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 23 2012, 07:55 AM   #7
Vanyel
The Imperious Leader

I would imagine Bajorans would have a working knowledge of the Cardassian language. Odo and Quark I think would be fluent in Cardassian due to their jobs. Rom and Nog and other residents of the station may have had a working knowledge of Cardassian as well.

As for Starfleet, Jadzia and Ezri may have learned it - Jadzia may have taken the time to learn it and that was then passed to Ezri or one of the Dax Symbiont's past hosts may have learned it. Starfleet personnel assigned to DS9 may have had to take a course to learn to read Cardassian until the Station's computers could be set up to customize terminals to whoever was using them. Making that a prerequisite for assignment to DS9, would cut out anyone not interested in being assigned to the station unless they were essential personnel and were going there unless they quit Starfleet.
Imogene, get serious! Who do you think you're talking to?! I've known you for 27 years, and all I can say is, if God was giving out sexually transmitted diseases to people as a punishment for sinning, then you would be at the free clinic all the time! And so would the rest of us!
--Julia Sugarbaker
Vanyel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 23 2012, 08:13 AM   #8
Methos
First Officer: USS Aventine

View Methos's Twitter Profile Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Methos Send a message via Yahoo to Methos

to be fair, if you're familiar with a computer system, you don't really need to understand the language displayed to work the computer...

M
Old April 23 2012, 08:40 AM   #9
The_Baron
Commander

You seen that iPhone app that using augmented reality replaces the text in, say a road sign with the language of your choice?

It works really well, sure it might not be a perfect translation, but enough to get by on.

I'd guess that the UT's do something similar, it's it's a cranial implant it might augment what the user is seeing as well as hearing, or like Temis said, it could be as simple as contact's.

We never saw it, but in the 24th century, I'd fully expect pretty much everyone to be using something similar to Google's 'glasses' concept.
The_Baron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 23 2012, 04:54 PM   #10
Sindatur
Rear Admiral

Actually, in Enterprise, they did show the UT being used, in at least one episode to translate computer data.

As said, anyone Bajoran or around with the Cardassians for any period of time would naturally know Cardassian. The Command staff, are shown many times using unfamiliar Foreign Electronics with little to no fore-knowledge. In fact, I think the only time there was shown to be a learning curve was with the Dominion Ships.

Plus I think, as Methos points out, a computer is a computer, there's got to be some logic behind how it's laid out and so forth, so once you understand that logic, it really doesn't matter if you can read "Docking Clamp Release" or simply know the Docking controls are on this specific display and the green symbol releases the docking clamps.

Where are we going? And why are we in this Handbasket?
Sindatur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 23 2012, 05:05 PM   #11
Gul Re'jal
Commodore

Location: Gul Re'jal is suspecting she's on the wrong space station

Sindatur wrote: View Post
and the green symbol releases the docking clamps.
How can anyone be sure it's green that the Cardassians chose for "go" and not any other colour? Or that green means released docking clamps and not malfunction?

"Reagan, it appears, is really only an ardent unionist if the unions in question are in Poland" - Stephen King, Skeleton Crew
Gul Re'jal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 23 2012, 05:24 PM   #12
Draculasaurus
Lieutenant Commander

Probably like this but more complicated.

Draculasaurus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 23 2012, 05:28 PM   #13
Gul Re'jal
Commodore

Location: Gul Re'jal is suspecting she's on the wrong space station

I have a problem with two of those symbols and I'm from the same planet they are

"Reagan, it appears, is really only an ardent unionist if the unions in question are in Poland" - Stephen King, Skeleton Crew
Gul Re'jal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 23 2012, 05:47 PM   #14
Sindatur
Rear Admiral

Gul Re'jal wrote: View Post
Sindatur wrote: View Post
and the green symbol releases the docking clamps.
How can anyone be sure it's green that the Cardassians chose for "go" and not any other colour? Or that green means released docking clamps and not malfunction?
LOL, once it's known, I doubt it would change. I wasn't meaning that Green stood for anything particular, I meant once you know what button to press, that will always be the button to press for that fuction.

Where are we going? And why are we in this Handbasket?
Sindatur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 24 2012, 12:07 PM   #15
Timo
Admiral

...Yet damningly enough, those Cardassian interfaces appear to change shape and configuration just as readily as their Starfleet equivalents do.

However, we have no particular reason to think the UT doesn't translate visuals. After all, whenever an alien speaks, his or her or its lips appear to move in synch with English!

It instead seems that the UT doesn't do a "complete" job, so reading of Klingon remains hard work even after all the help the UT can provide to Scotty in ST4... Just like reading Japanese may be very difficult even after every word is translated.

Timo Saloniemi
Timo is offline   Reply With Quote