Red Shirt Diaries Episode Three
By: T'Bonz on Sep 15

Made Out Of Mudd Photonovel

Takei Has Growth Removed

Retro Review: Tears of the Prophets
By: Michelle on Sep 12

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

View Poll Results: How do you grade The Avengers?
A+ 149 46.42%
A 102 31.78%
A- 30 9.35%
B+ 17 5.30%
B 11 3.43%
B- 5 1.56%
C+ 0 0%
C 4 1.25%
C- 1 0.31%
D+ 1 0.31%
D 0 0%
D- 0 0%
F 1 0.31%
Voters: 321. You may not vote on this poll

Old May 29 2012, 11:43 PM   #1231
Crusher Disciple
Admiral

View Crusher Disciple's Twitter Profile
Re: AVENGERS: Grade, Reviews, Discuss, DVD & Sequel **SPOILERS**

Plus, a younger brother who's always felt he had something to prove will work harder in bed.
Old May 30 2012, 12:29 AM   #1232
zephramc
Commodore

Robert Maxwell wrote: View Post
Yeah, it's kind of absurd to think all women are into the buff Adonis type, as if all men want blonde, big-breasted supermodels.
Yeah us men are fine with big-breasted supermodels with other haircolors.
zephramc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 30 2012, 12:30 AM   #1233
Kirby
Rear Admiral

View Kirby's Twitter Profile

Yeah, it's kind of absurd to think all women are into the buff Adonis type, as if all men want blonde, big-breasted supermodels.
That's not true... I don't care at all about a woman's hair color.

Edit: Ah... zephramc beat me to it by one minute. Damn you!!!! **shakes fist angrily**
Old May 30 2012, 01:02 AM   #1234
Caliburn24
Commodore

Supermodels have breasts?

Does not compute, does not compute.
Caliburn24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 30 2012, 03:24 AM   #1235
Admiral Buzzkill
Fleet Admiral

It's too bad his best line ("He's adopted") is so out-of-character. I don't think he cracked wise the rest of the movie.
I had the same reaction. A little of that kind of underplayed humor would help his character a lot - what Hemsworth is handed in the role, in two movies so far, is almost all stereotype.

Well, with this many characters someone was going to get shorted I suppose.
Admiral Buzzkill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 30 2012, 04:39 AM   #1236
stj
Rear Admiral

Like Stark with Pepper and Coulson, Thor would be most emotionally relatable interacting with the people in his life, which would be Jane Foster, Selvig and Loki.

Foster's off-stage.

Selvig and Thor never interact.

Loki mostly spends his time making stupid speeches so that a hero can clobber him (metaphorically or literally) as a punch line. What precisely Loki means to do with Earth is never certain (which is why it isn't interesting either,) and his "plan" to distract attention by being taken prisoner is rather like planning to win a fight by breaking your opponent's fist with your chin.

Which is to say, the interesting Loki who actually had mixed feelings about Odin, Thor, Asgard and his place in the greater scheme of things is replaced by a cliche dumbass heavy. Since the brother is gone, Thor's relationship with his brother is gone. I suppose that Loki could have let the others take him prisoner so that they would end up fighting Thor when he came to collect Loki. And Loki could have sponsored the invasion so that he could offer to call it off in exchange for amnesty. In that kind of plot, interactions between Loki and Thor could have had an interest and intensity far greater than the silliness with the Black Widow.

But a real characterization for Loki was never a part of this script. Obviously the decision to keep apart the villain and his brother is a peculiar one but given that, Thor has nothing to do but be too powerful for the plot. So he had to be shunted aside. Too bad for Hemsworth. I read that he had reservations about Thor's most popular line which speaks well to his talent and judgment.

As for wisecracking, Robert Downey Jr. gets to do most of it, for the good reason that he does it best. You give the ammo to the sniper.
Old May 30 2012, 04:41 AM   #1237
Dream
Admiral

stonester1 wrote: View Post
Yeah, definitely not down with the "Thor as dullard", either. I thought he was great, as was everyone else here. They all had unique roles to play, as very few (like Joss) and this cast can make it plain..
This reminds me of how badly the first three X-men movies turned out. They were pretty much the Wolverine show and the rest of the characters, especially Cyclops, got screwed in terms of character development. Avengers was all about the TEAM and everyone got the chance to shine.
Dream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 30 2012, 07:22 AM   #1238
captcalhoun
Admiral

fwiw, my sister prefers Hawkeye. She said the Chrises were good looking, but she prefers Renner. She never mentioned Loki...
captcalhoun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 30 2012, 01:57 PM   #1239
Kira's Mom
Fleet Admiral

View Kira's Mom's Twitter Profile

captcalhoun wrote: View Post
fwiw, my sister prefers Hawkeye. She said the Chrises were good looking, but she prefers Renner. She never mentioned Loki...

I prefer Hawkeye, too... Loki is interesting, but does nothing for me. And Renner has the best ass in the cast.
Old May 30 2012, 03:02 PM   #1240
Captain Craig
Vice Admiral

The entertainment world can't stop talking The Avengers. Despite MIB3 being #1 over the weekend this article at USA Today is exploring what long term implications the film has on releases and it's place in cinematic history.

Though analysts doubt The Avengers can topple either Cameron film, Batman is dead in the water. The Avengers will overtake Knight this weekend, if not before.
Even for a second-place finish, "The Avengers was still very impressive" this weekend, says Ray Subers of Boxofficemojo.com, who notes that the film was easily the fastest to reach the $500 million mark, doing it in 23 days. Avatar held the record at 32 days.
"I'm not sure I've seen people talk about a movie the way they did like this," he says. "It was an old-fashioned cinema experience: popcorn, larger than life, fun. This may be the greatest word-of-mouth movie ever."
"In the past, the superheroes' moneymaking powers would have been good news for other summertime movies, like Dark Shadows, The Dictator and Battleship," the column said of films that challenged and fell to Avengers. "Instead, those movies have struggled to stay afloat."
In all seriousness if those films were either good enough or marketed properly(looking at you DS) then they would pull the business they deserve. Even in the face of the tidal wave that is The Avengers.
Captain Craig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 30 2012, 03:07 PM   #1241
Admiral Buzzkill
Fleet Admiral

Yeah, the business is set to have a real bad season. The movies themselves are no better or worse than most summers these days.

Be interesting to see whether DKR really competes with Avengers.
Admiral Buzzkill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 30 2012, 03:33 PM   #1242
Trekker4747
Fleet Admiral

stj wrote: View Post
Loki mostly spends his time making stupid speeches so that a hero can clobber him (metaphorically or literally) as a punch line. What precisely Loki means to do with Earth is never certain (which is why it isn't interesting either,) and his "plan" to distract attention by being taken prisoner is rather like planning to win a fight by breaking your opponent's fist with your chin.
Loki's plan was to do exactly what happened. Primarily unleash The Hulk and hope he tears everyone to shreds inside the Helicarrier. Hell, as an extension of that he also WANTED the Avengers to track him down in New York because he thought there was no way he could lose with his army and not only would he take the world he'd de-moralize eveyone by seeing their heroes defeated.
Old May 30 2012, 03:52 PM   #1243
Trekker4747
Fleet Admiral

How It Should Have Ended's take on The Avengers is now live.

LINK
Old May 30 2012, 05:14 PM   #1244
Agent Richard07
Admiral

It's like 2008 all over again. Iron Man came out and became a monumental hit. No one was talking about The Dark Knight. Then that came out and the rest is history. I wonder if the same thing will happen this year. The Avengers is getting the kind of attention that Iron Man got and the next Batman movie is about to come out. Can't wait to see what happens. Blowing The Avengers out of the water will be tough.

By the way... Love that avatar Trekker.

Looks like something Tony Starch could have used...

Agent Richard07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 30 2012, 05:49 PM   #1245
Trekker4747
Fleet Admiral

Agent Richard07 wrote: View Post
It's like 2008 all over again. Iron Man came out and became a monumental hit. No one was talking about The Dark Knight. Then that came out and the rest is history. I wonder if the same thing will happen this year. The Avengers is getting the kind of attention that Iron Man got and the next Batman movie is about to come out. Can't wait to see what happens. Blowing The Avengers out of the water will be tough.

By the way... Love that avatar Trekker.
Thanks. It's cropped something ThinkGeek posted through Facebook the other day: