Fan Film Axanar Kickstarter Success
By: T'Bonz on Aug 27

Two New Starship Collection Ships
By: T'Bonz on Aug 26

Trek Actor Wins Emmy

Trek Retro Watches

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

View Poll Results: How do you grade The Avengers?
A+ 149 46.42%
A 102 31.78%
A- 30 9.35%
B+ 17 5.30%
B 11 3.43%
B- 5 1.56%
C+ 0 0%
C 4 1.25%
C- 1 0.31%
D+ 1 0.31%
D 0 0%
D- 0 0%
F 1 0.31%
Voters: 321. You may not vote on this poll

Old May 29 2012, 02:12 PM   #1216
Chemahkuu
Vice Admiral

Send a message via Yahoo to Chemahkuu
Re: AVENGERS: Grade, Reviews, Discuss, DVD & Sequel **SPOILERS**

Captain Craig wrote: View Post
It was a throw away line(maybe) that Loki questioned "What dark magics did Father have to summon to bring you here?"

Now maybe that one little line will be revisited in Thor 2? Did Enchantress have anything to do with this, helping Odin perhaps?
Odin's Sceptor, we've seen the sort of power he wields with it and his arrival by it on the FG homeworld to chastise Thor.

I see no reason to believe it was anything other than him using to the sceptor's power to send one person on a one way trip to Earth with Heimdall's help to "aim".
Chemahkuu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 29 2012, 03:30 PM   #1217
Robert Maxwell
Not Your Toy

View Robert Maxwell's Twitter Profile Send a message via ICQ to Robert Maxwell Send a message via AIM to Robert Maxwell Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Robert Maxwell Send a message via Yahoo to Robert Maxwell

Trekker4747 wrote: View Post
My Name Is Legion wrote: View Post
I loved the Tony/Pepper scenes. Love Gwyneth. Their chemistry is great.

What makes the movie worthwhile is that the characters are charming as people and the dialogue is smart and fast. Downey doesn't dominate either as Stark or in terms of his (considerable) talent - Rogers and Banner are great and very specific. Romanov is surprisingly vulnerable, but you could say that about most of the characters including Loki. The two who get short shrift, really are Clint - we don't learn anything worthwhile about him - and Thor, who remains a dullard despite Hemsworth's evident talent (or maybe Hemsworth sees him as a stolid bore and that's what he's going for).

Samuel L. Jackson is just Samuel L. Fucking! Jackson, which is cool.
Paltrow was great. Interesting how she was always barefoot so she didn't tower over RDJ.
I thought that was just Whedon's foot fetish manifesting again.

Yeah, Hawkeye was underused and, really, it'd be hard to know where he came from if you weren't watching Thor very closely he didn't get nearly as established in the MCU as BW did.
Yeah, but then what we saw of him didn't make him out to be very interesting, anyway. I mean, he spent half the movie as a more or less silent slave to Loki.

I also agree that Thor was under used in this movie to some respects. A "dullard" I don't know if I agree about that the most "dullard moment" he had was during the arguing scene when everyone may have been under some influence of Loki's scepter. Other times he was pretty good. I just think his character got reset-buttoned as nothing in this movie really changed his character, his status-quo or anything. He came and then he went.
Yeah, when he was arguing with everyone, that was a bit silly. His mouthing off about humans was something that might have made more sense in his own movie, before he learned humans were worth protecting and all that. But, I guess we can chalk it up to the scepter.

It's too bad his best line ("He's adopted") is so out-of-character. I don't think he cracked wise the rest of the movie.

CA emerged as a leader of the team, Tony learned that he's capable of self-sacrifice (the ending echoing the argument he and Cap had), Banner learned more to accept and control The Hulk, even BW dealt with her issues somewhat and worked more into the "soldier role." Hawk, I dunno, way underused so not much changed with him.
Good summary. I wasn't sure if Chris Evans had the charisma to work as leader in a team with such strong personalities, but I think it actually worked better in that he is so forthright and earnest. The people around him know he doesn't have some hidden, self-serving agenda--what you see is really what you get.

I really enjoyed Loki's portrayal here, too. He wasn't your standard villain, doing evil for evil's sake. Seemed he was caught between his own ambition, thirst for revenge, and powers much more dangerous than himself. Although one wonders why he was so afraid of the Chitauri when they turned out to pretty much be chumps. I dunno, maybe they're more powerful in their home dimension.
"You are one of the most unpleasant individuals I have encountered on this forum. I have no respect for you, and I doubt I ever will, since you keep insisting on being a complete and utter ass." - Timewalker
Robert Maxwell is online now   Reply With Quote
Old May 29 2012, 03:47 PM   #1218
Trekker4747
Fleet Admiral

Chemahkuu wrote: View Post
Odin's Sceptor, we've seen the sort of power he wields with it and his arrival by it on the FG homeworld to chastise Thor.
From what I remember Odin used the Bifrost to get to Jotunheim. ... Hey... What happened to his horse in those scenes?!

I thought that was just Whedon's foot fetish manifesting again.
Well, I figure that played a lot into it too. But I noticed on repeat viewings that if GP was in heels she'd be quite a bit taller than RDJ which wouldn't look right.
Old May 29 2012, 04:06 PM   #1219
Chemahkuu
Vice Admiral

From what I remember Odin used the Bifrost to get to Jotunheim. ... Hey... What happened to his horse in those scenes?!
It vanished when they all came back through, which I sort of took to mean that the horse was a manifestation and that the staff took him there on this holohorse, but the Bifrost brought them all back. Which would also add to his fatigue and the need for the Odinsleep.

Odinsleep, ugh sounds like Adam West meets Norse Myth.
Old May 29 2012, 04:33 PM   #1220
Trekker4747
Fleet Admiral

Doesn't he need to go into the Odinsleep once a year or something like that? Why is it treated as sort of a big deal/like he's dead when he enters it?
Old May 29 2012, 04:35 PM   #1221
Captain Craig
Vice Admiral

Doesn't he need to go into the Odinsleep once a year or something like that? Why is it treated as sort of a big deal/like he's dead when he enters it?
It's not that frequent but it's treated with reverence on the off chance that, like a coma, he may not emerge.
Captain Craig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 29 2012, 04:42 PM   #1222
Chemahkuu
Vice Admiral

It looks like they all sleep normally, but Odin is so old that much like the Goa'uld he needs something more from time to time, perhaps increasing in frequency as he ages, like the sarcophogi.

In the film it looked like a weak forcefield, maintaining a type of life support/artificial environment for him, but the FG's state that he is technically "aware" of everything around him, even able to hear whats happening, just immobalised by the field.
Old May 29 2012, 06:06 PM   #1223
Kestrel
Vice Admiral

Robert Maxwell wrote: View Post
It's too bad his best line ("He's adopted") is so out-of-character. I don't think he cracked wise the rest of the movie.
Maybe he was going to with the Hulk before he got punched off-screen?
Old May 29 2012, 06:30 PM   #1224
Avalon
Captain

Kestrel wrote: View Post
Robert Maxwell wrote: View Post
Maybe he was going to with the Hulk before he got punched off-screen?
You're saying Hulk beat him to the punch?
Old May 29 2012, 07:10 PM   #1225
captcalhoun
Admiral

Loki's line to Thor was "how much Dark Matter did Odin (or Father, i forget) use up to get you here?"
captcalhoun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 29 2012, 07:11 PM   #1226
Captain Craig
Vice Admiral

With Monday daily totals The Avengers crossed the $1.3 Billion mark!!!

The latest numbers from Disney:
Dom: $10.6M
Represents holiday Memorial Day Monday
The Avengers estimated cumulative performance to date:
Int'l GBO: $781.6M
Dom GBO: $524.0M
GLOBAL: $1,305.6M

International
It currently stands as the #5 film of all-time internationally.

Domestic
It currently stands as the #4 film of all-time domestically, and crossed $500M in just 23 days, setting a new speed record overtaking Avatar which took 32 days to reach the same threshold. #3 is The Dark Knight which stands at $533M.

The Avengers stands as the highest grossing film in Walt Disney Studios Motion Pictures history.

Global
The Avengers currently stands as the #4 film of all-time globally. #3 is Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows Part 2 which stands at $1,328M.
CONGRATS to The AVENGERS for crossing $1.3 BILLION!!!!
Captain Craig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 29 2012, 09:55 PM   #1227
Harvey
Admiral

Adjusted for inflation, it's not doing so badly, either. Ranked that way, it's the 42nd highest grossing film of all time at the domestic box office, and it will probably finish in the 30s, if not slightly better.

My blog: Star Trek Fact Check.
Harvey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 29 2012, 10:53 PM   #1228
DWF
Vice Admiral

It looks like they all sleep normally, but Odin is so old that much like the Goa'uld he needs something more from time to time, perhaps increasing in frequency as he ages, like the sarcophogi.

In the film it looked like a weak forcefield, maintaining a type of life support/artificial environment for him, but the FG's state that he is technically "aware" of everything around him, even able to hear whats happening, just immobalised by the field.
In the comics Odin regularly enters into what's called the "Odinsleep" to allow him to repower himself, in reality it's a plot device to get him out the way because he's just too powerful.
--- Harlan Ellison, from his introduction
to the PINNACLE series of Doctor Who books
DWF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 29 2012, 11:37 PM   #1229
Crusher Disciple
Admiral

View Crusher Disciple's Twitter Profile

Skywalker wrote: View Post
So a greasy-haired, chisel-faced scrawny guy is considered hot?
You expect the ladies to go for Thor, the generic blond?
I'm not sure the "generic blonde" trope translates to men. But, yeah, I'd expect them to go for the muscular accented man, or the suave egomaniac, or even the other chiseled blonde guy.

The "Loki Love" seems... Odd. Not sure what the attraction is there (even going with we're talking about Hiddleston and not Loki himself who effectively calls BW "the c-word" and wants to destroy all of humanity.)
But you know that he'll be lots of fun in bed. Thor, not so much.

Besides, women don't like being told who we should be attracted to. Giving us blonde hair and big muscles is just too much of a cliche.
Old May 29 2012, 11:41 PM   #1230
Robert Maxwell
Not Your Toy

View Robert Maxwell's Twitter Profile Send a message via ICQ to Robert Maxwell Send a message via AIM to Robert Maxwell Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Robert Maxwell Send a message via Yahoo to Robert Maxwell

Yeah, it's kind of absurd to think all women are into the buff Adonis type, as if all men want blonde, big-breasted supermodels.
"You are one of the most unpleasant individuals I have encountered on this forum. I have no respect for you, and I doubt I ever will, since you keep insisting on being a complete and utter ass." - Timewalker

Last edited by Robert Maxwell; May 30 2012 at 12:10 AM.
Robert Maxwell is online now   Reply With Quote