RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 139,652
Members: 24,810
Currently online: 604
Newest member: Damix

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

View Poll Results: How do you grade The Avengers?
A+ 149 46.42%
A 102 31.78%
A- 30 9.35%
B+ 17 5.30%
B 11 3.43%
B- 5 1.56%
C+ 0 0%
C 4 1.25%
C- 1 0.31%
D+ 1 0.31%
D 0 0%
D- 0 0%
F 1 0.31%
Voters: 321. You may not vote on this poll

Old May 22 2012, 04:14 AM   #1081
Trekker4747
Fleet Admiral

Re: AVENGERS: Grade, Reviews, Discuss, DVD & Sequel **SPOILERS**

Ah, true, didn't consider the EMP. (Though it didn't seem to permanently disable Tony's chest arc-reactor.)

Oh, and tsk. tsk. Joss. You got lauded and praised so much for the "no sound in space" thing in Firefly but here you not only had sound in space but you also had the time delayof sound in space since we see the "flash" of the nuke's explosion and then a second or two later we hear the explosion.
Old May 22 2012, 06:08 AM   #1082
Joy
Commodore

Maybe the suit Tony was wearing just wasn't made for outer-space travel? I know Tony joked "skip the spinning rims" to Jarvis when told the suit wasn't fully ready, but there was probably something to Jarvis' warning. What were the metal things that came off the suit's shoulders when he let go of the nuke?

About the Chitauri falling dead when their mothership was blown up.... Isn't it possible that they have a hive mind? All their tech seemed fairly organic; I mean, their version of invasion ships were giant beasts that the soldiers rode in on. So maybe they were just tied to the ship because they were a PART of the ship? And they figured they would just win by sheer numbers.

Maybe they're like the Formic in Ender's Game--when a queen dies, her drones "lose their intelligence and ability to function immediately" (Wikipedia).
Joy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 22 2012, 06:34 AM   #1083
hyzmarca
Fleet Captain

Trekker4747 wrote: View Post
Ah, true, didn't consider the EMP. (Though it didn't seem to permanently disable Tony's chest arc-reactor.)

Oh, and tsk. tsk. Joss. You got lauded and praised so much for the "no sound in space" thing in Firefly but here you not only had sound in space but you also had the time delayof sound in space since we see the "flash" of the nuke's explosion and then a second or two later we hear the explosion.
Are we sure that the mothership was in outer space? It was a portal to another dimension. Alternate dimensions are weird. Like you could have one where there's an atmosphere in space. And you could have one made entirely out of shrimp.

But exploring alternate dimensions is more of a Doctor Strange thing. I wonder when that movie will come out. Hopefully they'll base it on some psychedelic 60s Strange stories instead of falling back on this more recent depictions.
hyzmarca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 22 2012, 07:55 AM   #1084
Aldo
Admiral

There's a shot, well more like a sequence in this film that I absolutely love. Near the beginning when Loki is escaping the SHIELD facility with Hawkeye, he's riding in the back of the Jeep. Here's a guy, no a God who is capable of doing things we can only imagine, and yet he's making his escape on the back of a jeep.

It's this mixture of the fantastical with the mundane that I really enjoy about watching these Comic Book character's/stories brought to life in a filmed medium.
Old May 22 2012, 01:08 PM   #1085
Admiral2
Vice Admiral

Aldo wrote: View Post
There's a shot, well more like a sequence in this film that I absolutely love. Near the beginning when Loki is escaping the SHIELD facility with Hawkeye, he's riding in the back of the Jeep. Here's a guy, no a God who is capable of doing things we can only imagine, and yet he's making his escape on the back of a jeep.

It's this mixture of the fantastical with the mundane that I really enjoy about watching these Comic Book character's/stories brought to life in a filmed medium.
That's why i like when Loki disguises himself as a young businessman with a walking stick.

-Tom Clancy
Admiral2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 22 2012, 01:53 PM   #1086
Chemahkuu
Vice Admiral

Send a message via Yahoo to Chemahkuu

Trekker4747 wrote: View Post

Both Asgard and the Chitauri homeworld seem to be artificial or otherwise not like a regular planet at all, with an atmosphere or something akin to it that more "immortal" races can exist in that extends beyond the weird mass that represents the solid ground of their world.

In fact the Chitarui one looked like rather than one larger planet it was a collection of small planetoids that had something of a thin weird atmosphere around it all.

Very weird stuff and not a good idea to apply our rocky planet standard to them.
Chemahkuu is online now   Reply With Quote
Old May 22 2012, 04:16 PM   #1087
Kira's Mom
Fleet Admiral

View Kira's Mom's Twitter Profile

Saw it yesterday. Really, really enjoyed it.
Old May 22 2012, 04:21 PM   #1088
Agent Richard07
Admiral

Admiral2 wrote: View Post
That's why i like when Loki disguises himself as a young businessman with a walking stick.
It really suited him.
Agent Richard07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 22 2012, 06:16 PM   #1089
Kosh Naranek
Captain

Kira's Mom wrote: View Post
Saw it yesterday. Really, really enjoyed it.
So does the avatar give us a hint as to your favorite Avenger?

Tom Hiddleston looked really nice in that suit. He was the one actor that was driving me nuts in that film. I could not place him. I had to look him up on IMDB, and then I felt silly.
Old May 22 2012, 06:33 PM   #1090
Agenda
Fleet Captain

Thanos is a demi-god who worships death, so wouldn't it be fitting if the Chitauri soldiers weren't even alive in the traditional sense? Maybe they are biological in essence but have no free will and are controlled by a machine.
Agenda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 22 2012, 06:34 PM   #1091
Kira's Mom
Fleet Admiral

View Kira's Mom's Twitter Profile

^ Yeah, I loved Hawkeye and wish there had been more of him, but I actually liked Banner/Hulk best of all. Mark Ruffalo really impressed me. I'm not usually a fan of his.

(that was in reply to Kosh)
Old May 22 2012, 07:20 PM   #1092
Chemahkuu
Vice Admiral

Send a message via Yahoo to Chemahkuu

Kira's Mom wrote: View Post
I loved Hawkeye and wish there had been more of him.
Ditto, hopefully they'll be a Hawkeye/BW movie with plenty of screentime with both of them.

I mean come on, how can they not use him again.

Chemahkuu is online now   Reply With Quote
Old May 22 2012, 07:23 PM   #1093
Aldo
Admiral

The people I went and saw the movie with had a problem with that moment. And thinking about it their issues make sense.

It's one thing to say Hawkeye is a expert shot with the bow. But how was he able to blindly fire at the scout ship behind him and get a dead perfect hit?
Old May 22 2012, 07:38 PM   #1094
captcalhoun
Admiral

cuz he's Fucking Hawkeye!
captcalhoun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 22 2012, 07:44 PM   #1095
Robert Maxwell
Not Your Toy

View Robert Maxwell's Twitter Profile Send a message via ICQ to Robert Maxwell Send a message via AIM to Robert Maxwell Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Robert Maxwell Send a message via Yahoo to Robert Maxwell

Aldo wrote: View Post
The people I went and saw the movie with had a problem with that moment. And thinking about it their issues make sense.

It's one thing to say Hawkeye is a expert shot with the bow. But how was he able to blindly fire at the scout ship behind him and get a dead perfect hit?
Maybe his hearing is also really good, so he was able to determine where it was (and how quickly it was approaching, and from what direction) just from its sound?

I dunno, it's Hollywood. Make something up. There was nothing at all "realistic" about this film, so nitpicking a moment like that is a bit silly.