Kirk’s Well Wishes To Kirk
By: T'Bonz on Apr 15

Quinto In New Starz Series
By: T'Bonz on Apr 15

Star Trek: Horizon Film
By: T'Bonz on Apr 14

Star Trek: Fleet Captains Game Expansion
By: T'Bonz on Apr 14

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

View Poll Results: How do you grade The Avengers?
A+ 149 46.42%
A 102 31.78%
A- 30 9.35%
B+ 17 5.30%
B 11 3.43%
B- 5 1.56%
C+ 0 0%
C 4 1.25%
C- 1 0.31%
D+ 1 0.31%
D 0 0%
D- 0 0%
F 1 0.31%
Voters: 321. You may not vote on this poll

Old May 16 2012, 03:20 AM   #991
The Borgified Corpse
Admiral

Location: Ouch! Forgotten already? You were just down there 20 minutes ago.
Re: AVENGERS: Grade, Reviews, Discuss, DVD & Sequel **SPOILERS**

Turtletrekker wrote: View Post
Actually.... Depp and Burton on Doctor Strange...?

Hmmm. That might be an interesting movie. Burton has worked on comic-based properties before, and was very good at it. His first Batman movie is still my favorite of all the Batman movies to date. He was mostly faithful to the source material (Danny DeVito's Penguin being the exception) while still having a distinctively Burton flair, which could work well for Doctor Strange. I think Burton would do very well at re-creating the Ditko-esque magical effects and the looks of other dimensions that make the early Dr. Strange books so cool.
It could be cool. But then, Burton & Depp might want more money than notoriously cheap Marvel Studios would be willing to shell out. (But I suspect they will come to a very lucrative deal with Robert Downey Jr., but only because they got stuck with him back when he was dirt cheap.)

Ethros wrote: View Post
Yeah, how do people feel about TIH now? It does definitely feel like the odd one out of the 5 preceding movies. And not just because of the actor change
If anything, I'd say Hulk's success in The Avengers has partially rehabilitated The Incredible Hulk. There are lots of people I know that saw the movie once when it first came out, totally dismissed it, then scrambled to see it again as part of their Avengers prep, only to admit that it's better than they remember. (For what it's worth, I still say that The Incredible Hulk is the worst of the 6 Marvel movies and not as good as the 2003 Hulk movie, though both are deeply flawed.)

Trekker4747 wrote: View Post
My problem with 3D glasses is that I wear eyeglasses anyway so my regular glasses' frames get pressed in more by the 3D glasses causing some discomfort and even a touch of pain in my temples just from the pressure of two layers of rims.
You know how they sell attachments to regular glasses to turn them into sunglasses? I think they should sell a similar 3D attachment for people who already wear glasses.

I agree with those who say that 3D adds nothing to this movie. It rarely does. There are only 3 movies that I've ever seen where the 3D was worth it: Avatar, Hugo, & Tron Legacy. The closing credits of Thor look pretty cool in 3D but the rest of it doesn't really benefit.

Scrawny71 wrote: View Post
Cap may not be my favourite Avenger, but I have to admit that Evans really sells the role, giving a performance that's remarkably believable and three-dimensional.
Yeah. One of my favorite lines in the film is, "There's only one God, ma'am, and I'm pretty sure he doesn't dress like that." I don't know how it is that Chris Evans is so able to completely nail that overly wholesome aspect to the character. I haven't seen anyone do such a compelling, convincing job of playing such a white bread character since Christopher Reeve in the 1978 Superman movie.

Alidar Jarok wrote: View Post
Othello wrote: View Post
Seriously? Basically 90% give this an A- or better? While there were a few seriously laugh out loud moments like Hulk smashing Thor, as a movie it was like a B or B- (my vote) at best. True herd mentality on this one.
Well, I didn't know what anyone else voted before I voted, so I don't know how it's a herd mentality. Maybe a telepathic herd, which would be the coolest herd ever.
The technical term is "gestalt."

Personally, I'm unsure quite how to rate the film since it's hard to compare it to anything else. As far as pure action awesomeness goes, The Avengers can't be beat. But I don't feel that there is a particularly compelling character arc to be followed. In a way, I often found myself wishing that, instead of watching The Avengers, I was watching separate sequels. I think Thor's reunion with Loki deserves its own movie. I think Captain America's new adventures adjusting to life in the 21st century deserve their own movie. Many times, I felt like The Avengers was less of a unified whole and more of a greatest hits compilation, combining the best bits of 4 or 5 separate Marvel sequels. In other words, the whole is not greater than the sum of its parts; though the raw sum is much larger than most other movies could ever dream. So it's fun, but I wouldn't quite but it on the upper tier of comic book movies alongside Batman Begins, V for Vendetta, & X-Men: First Class.

Skywalker wrote: View Post
In the official tie-in comics, Erskine tells Phillips that the formula for the serum exists only in his head. He never wrote it down so that others wouldn't misuse it. That's why nobody's ever managed to successfully duplicate it after Erskine's death.
Personally, I just can't imagine the Army agreeing to fund Erskine's project without him & Howard Stark agreeing to fully disclose all of the technical formulas & schematics relevant to the project. I think it would have made more sense if all of the files were destroyed when that Hydra agent set off a bomb in the research lab while he was stealing the serum.

Last edited by The Borgified Corpse; May 16 2012 at 03:48 AM.
The Borgified Corpse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 16 2012, 03:45 AM   #992
Klaus
Rear Admiral

View Klaus's Twitter Profile

I do want RDJ to stick around for a few more movies, but when the time does come to replace him (and the others), I hope Marvel doesn't reboot everything from scratch. Just recast the roles and keep going.
Agreed, and a glance at your current av is a reminder that they're willing to go that route...
Klaus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 16 2012, 03:55 AM   #993
The Borgified Corpse
Admiral

Location: Ouch! Forgotten already? You were just down there 20 minutes ago.

in 70 years, learning it is alive and how to leach energy from it without blowing a building up, i'd call that respectful progress given how advanced the Tesseract actually is...
Put, again, Red Skull and his little buddy are able to harness some of its power and make remarkable weaponry out of it using limited 1940s technology during a time of war when rare and valuable materials were hard to come by for the Axis (and by extension I'd assume Hydra.)
I suspect Hydra had other private resources outside of what the Germain Reich knew about. It's the only way to explain how Hydra was so well armed.
Old May 16 2012, 03:56 AM   #994
Skywalker
Admiral

Klaus wrote: View Post
I do want RDJ to stick around for a few more movies, but when the time does come to replace him (and the others), I hope Marvel doesn't reboot everything from scratch. Just recast the roles and keep going.
Agreed, and a glance at your current av is a reminder that they're willing to go that route...
Indeed.
The Borgified Corpse wrote: View Post
In the official tie-in comics, Erskine tells Phillips that the formula for the serum exists only in his head. He never wrote it down so that others wouldn't misuse it. That's why nobody's ever managed to successfully duplicate it after Erskine's death.
Personally, I just can't imagine the Army agreeing to fund Erskine's project without him & Howard Stark agreeing to fully disclose all of the technical formulas & schematics relevant to the project. I think it would have made more sense if all of the files were destroyed when that Hydra agent set off a bomb in the research lab while he was stealing the serum.
I agree, but IIRC, the formula for the Super-Soldier Serum died with Erskine in the comics, too. So if that's correct, the movie was just being accurate to the source.
Skywalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 16 2012, 03:58 AM   #995
Trekker4747
Fleet Admiral

Problem with that the recasting they've done in the other movies was with actors/characters who didn't connect with the audience or really resonnate. Terrance Howard may have been a better Rhodie but I didn't care that the part was recast. Norton did okay as Banner but, again, recasting him wasn't too much a big deal beyond a "Really? Again?!" He didn't really own and posess the role like Ruffalo now has.

But, RDJ? He is Tony Stark for all intents and purposes. He completely owns and dominates that role almost as much as Christopher Reeve dominated Superman. For anyone else to take on the role of Stark would just be awkward and wouldn't fit at all. The only person I could maybe see doing it is Johnny Depp.

Bu since RDJ largely owes the career he now has due to Iron Man and, really, his age isn't much of a factor in the hero scenes (given that inside the suit can be a stunt man or a CGI element) I think he could still keep doing it for a while longer, RDJ isn't even 50 yet and looks to be in good shape all things considered. If he does quit, well, they'd be better off ditching Iron Man -saying Tony Stark retired as a super-hero or remains as only a "consultant" for The Avengers/SHIELD who we maybe see only as Stark- and replacing him with another Marvel Hero.

EXCEPT ANT-MAN!
Old May 16 2012, 06:26 AM   #996
Agenda
Fleet Captain

Guess what. Thor is a dick!

Agenda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 16 2012, 10:13 AM   #997
Trekker4747
Fleet Admiral

I dunno, Captain America and Iron Man aren't doing that much better in that cover.

And, well, being a god tends to go to your head so Thor's dickishness sort of makes sense.
Old May 16 2012, 12:56 PM   #998
Pingfah
Admiral

Saw it last night, thought it was pretty OK for a throwaway popcorn flick.

Would prefer to see a talent like Whedon working on his own properties though.

- Richard "Richie" Richard
Pingfah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 16 2012, 02:25 PM   #999
Kosh Naranek
Captain

It is funny the things that you think of when falling asleep.

Forgive me if this has been addressed since I read the thread yesterday.

I forget what post/poster had a nitpick about Stark going through the hole/portal with the nuke.

Nitpick - Why not just point the nuke in the new/right direction and let it fly? I was thinking - He probably guided the nuke through the hole because he wanted to make sure it hit something vital on the other side.

As to their other nitpick - Yeah. I don't know how he fell so perfectly back through that hole.

I am going to watch it again tonight. I am in a movie going mood.
Old May 16 2012, 02:36 PM   #1000
Kosh Naranek
Captain

Captain Craig wrote: View Post
...news came last week of his one day replacement were met by him saying, "not too soon though I hope"(paraphrase).
Wait, what?

Since RDJ is the actor most entrenched it also means his deal is the closest one to up. Which means if deals can't be made then recasting happens and this link is reporting RDJ's response to what Kevin Feige said they'd likely do when a recast inevitably happens.
...At CinemaCon last week, Marvel Studios president Kevin Feige mentioned to Badass Digest that when it came time for Downey to leave the role of Tony Stark behind, a new actor could pick up right where he left off, like in the James Bond films. ....But Downey told MTV News on the red carpet that he wasn't so thrilled about the idea of someone else playing Tony Stark. "I would really hate for someone else to think they could step into my shoes," he said.

I suppose he (Feige) was flat out asked that question? I don't see Marvel screaming at RDJ - "Hey buddy you are so easy to replace."

I would be shocked if RDJ or Marvel would want to rock the boat just right now.

Of the Avengers we have seen thus far RDJ as Tony Stark has had the most face time. Plus, you would be blowing up the great chem Stark had with Bruce Banner 3.0. (or would it be 4.0 or 4.5 considering other actors?)
Old May 16 2012, 04:09 PM   #1001
Captain Craig
Vice Admiral

Kosh Naranek wrote: View Post
Of the Avengers we have seen thus far RDJ as Tony Stark has had the most face time. Plus, you would be blowing up the great chem Stark had with Bruce Banner 3.0. (or would it be 4.0 or 4.5 considering other actors?)
As far as the MCU is concerned Mark Ruffalo is only Banner 2.0
Captain Craig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 16 2012, 04:14 PM   #1002
Robert Maxwell
Respect the Beef

View Robert Maxwell's Twitter Profile Send a message via ICQ to Robert Maxwell Send a message via AIM to Robert Maxwell Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Robert Maxwell Send a message via Yahoo to Robert Maxwell

Is there no male role for which Johnny Depp won't be suggested?

I'm waiting for him to star in a Hitler biopic.
My blog
Robert Maxwell is online now   Reply With Quote
Old May 16 2012, 04:28 PM   #1003
Anwar
Vice Admiral

Beyond Antares wrote: View Post
Guess what. Thor is a dick!

Weren't those guys really Skrulls in disguise, trying to break up the Avengers?
Anwar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 16 2012, 05:17 PM   #1004
Mike Farley
Commodore

Look at Giant Man's costume. He deserves to be kicked out.
Mike Farley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 16 2012, 05:37 PM   #1005
tighr
Commodore

Robert Maxwell wrote: View Post
Is there no male role for which Johnny Depp won't be suggested?

I'm waiting for him to star in a Hitler biopic.
Depp would be awesome as Hitler. Although, he'd have to live up to Bruno Ganz in Downfall.

I bet he would struggle to fill the shoes of Martin Luther King Jr, but he'd probably give it the ol' college try.