Sci-Fried To Release New Album
By: T'Bonz on Jul 28

Star Trek/Planet of the Apes Crossover

Star Trek into Darkness Soundtrack

Horse 1, Shatner 0

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

View Poll Results: How do you grade The Avengers?
A+ 149 46.42%
A 102 31.78%
A- 30 9.35%
B+ 17 5.30%
B 11 3.43%
B- 5 1.56%
C+ 0 0%
C 4 1.25%
C- 1 0.31%
D+ 1 0.31%
D 0 0%
D- 0 0%
F 1 0.31%
Voters: 321. You may not vote on this poll

Old May 11 2012, 09:13 PM   #826
Captain Craig
Vice Admiral

Re: AVENGERS: Grade, Reviews, Discuss, DVD & Sequel **SPOILERS**

Second weekend tweets about Avengers being sold out. Mostly in frustration by I think people who felt this would be a better time to see it cause they skipped out last weekend.
Hope they don't give up, it needs to be seen on the big screen.

Kristina Allen ‏ @CookieKris_93
Considering that every time I try to get Avengers tickets they are sold out, I guess I won't be watching it again #darn

Ifaniel ‏ @Ogbevire_
It's 'it's' "@Ayamdizzy: Its "row" RT @Rated_X: Want to seeAvengers again but its been sold out 2 days in a roll now...

Nessie K ‏ @sexinessie69
Sigh Avengers is completely sold out for this weekend by@DigicelMAXTT. There goes my plans ☹

Chase Mitchell ‏ @ChaseMit
"Nah let's just go home." - guy finding out the 9:30 Avengers is sold out being asked if he wants to see the 9:45 Dark Shadows

♕Lℳ ‏ @dawggggggg
Yo the avengers was sold out AGAIN
Captain Craig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 11 2012, 09:31 PM   #827
Trekker4747
Fleet Admiral

Posted through the MCU's Facebook page:

Old May 11 2012, 09:49 PM   #828
Skywalker
Admiral

The Avengers is poised to smash Avatar's second-weekend box office record. $90 million seems to be the low end of the predictions.
Skywalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 11 2012, 09:53 PM   #829
captcalhoun
Admiral

FUCK YEAH!
captcalhoun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 11 2012, 09:55 PM   #830
Captain Craig
Vice Admiral

RE: $90m second weekend low end predict
At BoxOfficeTheory.com, sister site to BoxOffice.com, I'm predicting $108m. That is roughly only a 48% drop weekend/weekend, tough I know but this is a monster so my predict is treating it as such.

With a good Thursday total of $12.5m The Avengers domestic total after 7 days in release stands at $270 million!! With 16 days in international release it's total worldwide to date is $803 million!!!
Captain Craig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 11 2012, 10:00 PM   #831
trekkiebaggio
Vice Admiral

View trekkiebaggio's Twitter Profile

Trekker4747 wrote: View Post
I didn't take the joke about Loki being "adopted" (strictly speaking he was baby-napped) as being against adopted children just as someone said above it was Thor's way of "distancing" himself from Loki by saying his bloodlines aren't the same as Thor's.

It was a simple, small, Whedonistic joke nothing more. I doubt it was Whedon's way to insult people who've been adopted as I see no reason why he'd even want to do such a thing. Those upset about it are making mountains out of molehills over a nothing line. It's like the ado that was made over the infamous "don't go full retard" scene in "Tropic Thunder" where special-needs groups got all upset over the pejorative rather than catching the meaning of the scene/message.

Thor's line was a simple joke that Loki and he do not share any ambitions or likeness by blood.
Omg people are getting worked up about that line I thought it was obvious Thor meant it as distancing himself.

Man of Yesterday - My blog: movie, books and board game reviews.
trekkiebaggio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 11 2012, 10:12 PM   #832
Psion
Commodore

View Psion's Twitter Profile

Some people look for excuses to get outraged.
Old May 11 2012, 10:47 PM   #833
sojourner
Vice Admiral

Is that the "diner" from the movie?
Old May 11 2012, 11:21 PM   #834
Eduardo
Commander

Anwar wrote: View Post
Correct me if I am wrong, this is the first time in the MCU we were told exactly how "this Hulk" (technically Norton's Hulk) came to be. IIRC from the Ang Lee movie the experiment wasn't about trying to duplicate the super-soldier process but something else entirely. In fact the opening credits sequence to TIH suggests Banner willingly tested the process on himself. (In the Ang Lee movie, Banner is exposed to the Gamma Radiation accidentally when tries to save a co-worker from exposure apparently thinking his body is made out of lead.)

And, yeah, I realize the "Norton Hulk Origin" footage is available as a DVD extra or something, but I've never seen it.
Let's go by parts:

- In the Ang Lee movie, which is not connected in any way to the MCU, Banner (Kessler, sigh) was investigating, along with Betty Ross, using nanobots to heal injuries. It was a civilian investigation in an university, no military involved until the movie starts and former major Talbot tries to acquire their research.

The gamma radiation from the accident combined with the nanobots and the genetic modifications transmited to Bruce by his father create the Hulk.

- In the Inc. Hulk, Banner and Betty were working at Culver University, under the sponsorship of the US Military in a project to "strengthen cellular resistance to radiation" in soldiers (or so they are told).

General Ross actually was using Banner & Betty's research as part of restarting the Bio Force Enhancement Project (the Super-Soldier Program).

Banner, under pressure of funding being cut, tests the process on himself, iirc.

All of that is explained in two scenes, the one in which General Ross & Blonsky discuss what Banner is, and an scene between Betty and Banner, in which he tells her that her father wanted to weaponize the Hulk.

EDIT:

Here we go:

Gen. Thaddeus 'Thunderbolt' Ross: You must realize that what I'm about to tell you is very sensitive, both to me and to the Army. You know that we have a Bio-Force Department, and that we had a bio-force enhancement research project developed during World War II...
Emil Blonsky: A Super-Soldier.
Gen. Thaddeus "Thunderbolt" Ross: A simplification, but yes. We decided to dust it off, and give it another go, aiming to create the better soldier. Banner’s work was very early phase. It wasn’t even weapons application. He thought he was working on radiation resistance. I would never have told him what the project really was. But he was so sure of what he was onto, that he tested it on himself. And something went very wrong. Or it went very right. As far as I’m concerned, that man’s whole body is property of the US Army.
Emil Blonsky: You said he wasn’t working on weapons, right?
Gen. Thaddeus "Thunderbolt" Ross: No.
Emil Blonsky: But you were. You were, weren’t you? You were trying other things.
Gen. Thaddeus "Thunderbolt" Ross: One serum we developed… was very promising.
Emil Blonsky: So why did he run?
Gen. Thaddeus "Thunderbolt" Ross: He’s a scientist. He is not one of us.
Old May 11 2012, 11:31 PM   #835
Othello
Commodore

Seriously? Basically 90% give this an A- or better? While there were a few seriously laugh out loud moments like Hulk smashing Thor, as a movie it was like a B or B- (my vote) at best. True herd mentality on this one.
Othello is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 11 2012, 11:39 PM   #836
throwback
Captain

The only issue I have with this film is the same issue I had with Star Wars: The Phantom Menace. Why would an advanced civilization develop a robotic army that when the command center is destroyed automatically shut down? Our own civilization is moving incrementally toward building an autonomous drone fleet that can operate independently of a command center, and will continue to obey its directive when the command center is either incapacitated or destroyed.
throwback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 11 2012, 11:42 PM   #837
Turtletrekker
Vice Admiral

sojourner wrote: View Post

Is that the "diner" from the movie?
IIRC, the diner in the movie was the "Shawarma Palace".
Old May 11 2012, 11:43 PM   #838
Eduardo
Commander

throwback wrote: View Post
The only issue I have with this film is the same issue I had with Star Wars: The Phantom Menace. Why would an advanced civilization develop a robotic army that when the command center is destroyed automatically shut down? Our own civilization is moving incrementally toward building an autonomous drone fleet that can operate independently of a command center, and will continue to obey its directive when the command center is either incapacitated or destroyed.
Well, if it is Thanos, and he is like the comics, it kind of makes sense. For all we know the Chitauri are like zombified slaves.

That and if Loki tries to betray him by closing the portal and keeping the army & Earth for himself, the army turns worthless due to the loss of the connection.
Old May 11 2012, 11:47 PM   #839
Shazam!
Rear Admiral

Or they have the lowest morale ever.
Shazam! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 12 2012, 12:14 AM   #840
RAMA
Vice Admiral

I thought they were cyborgs, and that the whole army was bio-mechanical. If they all "died" that's a hell of a biological hazard in the city!

RAMA