Star Trek 3 Potential Director Shortlist
By: T'Bonz on Dec 16

Official Starships Collection Update
By: T'Bonz on Dec 15

Retro Review: Prodigal Daughter
By: Michelle on Dec 13

Sindicate Lager To Debut In The US Next Week
By: T'Bonz on Dec 12

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

View Poll Results: How do you grade The Avengers?
A+ 149 46.42%
A 102 31.78%
A- 30 9.35%
B+ 17 5.30%
B 11 3.43%
B- 5 1.56%
C+ 0 0%
C 4 1.25%
C- 1 0.31%
D+ 1 0.31%
D 0 0%
D- 0 0%
F 1 0.31%
Voters: 321. You may not vote on this poll

Old May 5 2012, 06:02 PM   #376
davejames
Vice Admiral

Re: AVENGERS: Grade, Reviews, Discuss, DVD & Sequel **SPOILERS**

In my mind Jane was the least essential of the love interests. I never saw any kind of great connection between her and Thor; she was just the cute little Earth girl who had a crush on him because he was really hunky. If anything, I would argue Skarsgard's character actually had the bigger influence on him in that movie.
davejames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 5 2012, 06:10 PM   #377
Admiral James Kirk
Writer

I might be able to concede Skaarsgard to a degree, but I can't agree that Betty Ross was more essential to Banner's character than Jane was to Thor's. Banner's significant other has always been the Hulk. On the other hand characters like Pepper and Jane bring their men down to earth. If anyone was the least essential it was Peggy. I think Dr. Erskine and Bucky had far greater bonds with Cap than Peggy did.
Admiral James Kirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 5 2012, 06:11 PM   #378
AvBaur
Captain

View AvBaur's Twitter Profile

Flying Spaghetti Monster wrote: View Post
Did anyone stay for the second end credit scene where they are all eating together at the place Stark mentioned?
I stayed until the very end, but apparently, they only showed that one in the US.
Old May 5 2012, 06:22 PM   #379
Derishton
Vice Admiral

I made the group I was seeing it with stay for the final final scene. Very amusing. It's on the North American release, so Canada gets it too.

On the love interest(s), I assume they're saving the Peggy thing for Captain America 2. Maybe with Sharon?

On the Black Widow's "power level", they did have to find her something to do in the end. This isn't a knock on the film, but on Marvel's overall strategy. Why wasn't Ms/Captain Marvel in here? You wouldn't need to explain her, leaving that for a Carol Danvers film once casual audiences were interested.
Old May 5 2012, 06:25 PM   #380
Admiral James Kirk
Writer

I saw it too. Europeans shouldn't feel too bad about not having the scene. I mean they got the movie a whole week before we did. Marvel owed us one.
Admiral James Kirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 5 2012, 06:26 PM   #381
DarthPipes
Vice Admiral

davejames wrote: View Post
In my mind Jane was the least essential of the love interests. I never saw any kind of great connection between her and Thor; she was just the cute little Earth girl who had a crush on him because he was really hunky. If anything, I would argue Skarsgard's character actually had the bigger influence on him in that movie.
As far as superhero love interests go, Paltrow's Pepper Potts brings a lot to the table. The one from Captain America (Haley I can't remember her name) was also excellent.
DarthPipes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 5 2012, 06:34 PM   #382
CaptainCanada
Admiral

Derishton wrote: View Post
Why wasn't Ms/Captain Marvel in here? You wouldn't need to explain her
Yes you would. She's has superstrength, can fly, and shoot/absorb energy. Moreover, her whole origin is tied to the Kree (and to Mar-Vell, though you can cut that out if you want).

I don't think there was any need to have Jane in the film. Thor didn't have any downtime, and returned to Asgard immediately with Loki. That sensibly leaves his own storylines to continue in his next movie.

- Homer Simpson
CaptainCanada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 5 2012, 06:58 PM   #383
Brikar99
Rear Admiral

Hulk owned this movie. I had a great time.
Old May 5 2012, 07:15 PM   #384
gh4chiefs
Rear Admiral

SonOfMogh wrote: View Post
Saw this today, awesome!!

Has to be my favourite superhero movie so far.

Ah thank you. Everybody was laughing and I couldn't hear what he said.
Old May 5 2012, 07:16 PM   #385
Aldo
Admiral

DarthPipes wrote: View Post
davejames wrote: View Post
As far as superhero love interests go, Paltrow's Pepper Potts brings a lot to the table. The one from Captain America (Haley I can't remember her name) was also excellent.
And there was even a scene in the movie (scripted for sure, not sure if it was filmed) where Cap goes and visits her. Would have been a nice touch and given Evans a little more to do, as I felt he was a tad overshadowed by the others.
Old May 5 2012, 07:47 PM   #386
DWF
Vice Admiral

The movie seemed to take a while to get going and I was alittle bored of the car chase but once we start meeting the various Avengers and catch up with them the movie really got going. I loved the various hero on hero battles and the general dysfuction of the team until the they needed to come together to save the helicarrier.

The haliecarrier and the scenes on it was a fan's dream come true, I loved the cloaking device too. And Tony and Steve's attempts to save the carrier were fantastic and showed true teamwork and I think Steve's antics to help Tony were even more exciting than the scenes around the Burj in Mission Impossible: Ghost Protocol. And I loved all the various character moments as well, I really liked how even Nick Fury had some hidden depths too.

The final battle in New York was fantastic, I loved Cap's orders and how wild it all got, even with the various Avengers getting tired and still going on. Tony's selflessness was a nice touch and the Hulk's line of "Puny god" was pricless. And it was great seeing some of the other characters from the other movies like Pepper Potts and Eric Selvig and I like the mention of Jane Foster too.

I would LOVE to see a SHIELD movie now. And I really liked that some of the movie was filmed in Cleveland last summer.
--- Harlan Ellison, from his introduction
to the PINNACLE series of Doctor Who books
DWF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 5 2012, 08:09 PM   #387
Derishton
Vice Admiral

CaptainCanada wrote: View Post
Derishton wrote: View Post
Why wasn't Ms/Captain Marvel in here? You wouldn't need to explain her
Yes you would. She's has superstrength, can fly, and shoot/absorb energy. Moreover, her whole origin is tied to the Kree (and to Mar-Vell, though you can cut that out if you want).
You have Fury introduce her with a simplified (maybe even fake) origin: a gamma radiation thing, or hint that someone rediscovered the super-serum.

If you actually have the legal rights to the Kree on film at all (I'm surprised by what Marvel let go, and thought maybe the Kree were connected to the Fantastic Four rights), then you reveal the truth in a subsequent film. Or do something new. The film's Ms Marvel doesn't need, and probably shouldn't have, as complicated a back-story as Carol Danvers.

You'd still have revealed more than we actually know, from the films, about the Black Widow. We know she "was" Russian, was an assassin before Hawkeye turned her around, and shares a name with the last Tsar. What else do we know? And Hawkeye: he can see things real good-like. What else?
Old May 5 2012, 08:12 PM   #388
Methos
First Officer: USS Aventine

View Methos's Twitter Profile Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Methos Send a message via Yahoo to Methos

i'd love to see Ms Marvel done in the sequal, possibly not the 2nd movie, maybe the 3rd if they get around to it...

If they bring in the Kree, which I doubt, they could explain Ms Marvel away that way...

My personal 'storyline' of choice for her would be to first write her in as a SHIELD member... one of their pilots that launches from the helicarrier... perhaps a survivor from the new york battle when her plane got blasted by energy weapons fire from Loki's forces, or got caught in the discharges from the tesseract... the energy muted her body and left her with Ms Marvel's powers... moving more towards 'half asgard' than the typical 'half kree' storyline

M
Old May 5 2012, 08:52 PM   #389
DarthPipes
Vice Admiral

If they add any Avengers in the sequel, I would guess Ms. Marvel and Vision would be the likely choices.
DarthPipes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 5 2012, 08:55 PM   #390
Derishton
Vice Admiral

Which film company owns the rights to the Scarlet Witch and Quicksilver? I was assuming Fox, because of the Magneto connection. They, with Hawkeye, were the first members inducted into the Avengers after Hulk left.