Orci Drops Rangers Project
By: T'Bonz on Sep 22

Retro Review: Image in the Sand
By: Michelle on Sep 20

Star Trek: Shadows Of Tyranny Casting Call
By: T'Bonz on Sep 19

USS Vengeance And More Starship Collection Ships
By: T'Bonz on Sep 19

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

View Poll Results: How do you grade The Avengers?
A+ 149 46.42%
A 102 31.78%
A- 30 9.35%
B+ 17 5.30%
B 11 3.43%
B- 5 1.56%
C+ 0 0%
C 4 1.25%
C- 1 0.31%
D+ 1 0.31%
D 0 0%
D- 0 0%
F 1 0.31%
Voters: 321. You may not vote on this poll

Old May 4 2012, 11:07 PM   #331
Admiral James Kirk
Writer

Re: AVENGERS: Grade, Reviews, Discuss, DVD & Sequel **SPOILERS**

If beaker says he doesn't like Avengers, he's lying. It's easily the biggest, coolest, action packed, fangasmiest, funniest and funnest time at the movies I've had in... I can't remember. It was truly a fun couple of hours at the movie and an experience I hope to enjoy every couple of years between standalone Marvels.
Admiral James Kirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 4 2012, 11:26 PM   #332
od0_ital
Admiral

Send a message via Yahoo to od0_ital

A+

I am not gonna read through twenty-two pages of posts.

Saw the first 3D showin' at my theater today, after missin' out on the midnight openin'. It was awesome & kicked all kinds of ass.

I'll be seein' it again, and again, and maybe a bit more after that, before it leaves theaters.
Old May 5 2012, 12:58 AM   #333
foxhot
Fleet Captain

Already it's the highest grossing Powers Boothe/Jenny Agutter/Harry Dean Stanton movie of all freaking time!!!!

And Joss Whedon truly ended it the only way he could.
foxhot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 5 2012, 01:29 AM   #334
Aldo
Admiral

Just got back from it, and to say I loved it is an understatement. It was everything I was hoping it would be. And yet, it was even better than that. I mean, I expected to like it and all, but I just really enjoyed it, it was never slow for me, and everyone got their moment to shine. I could go on and on how I enjoyed it, but that's what everyone is doing. I do have a few gripes (or maybe just two):

Captain America and Thor. I love both of their solo films, I love the actors who play them, and yet in this movie I felt they were both overshadowed. It was a little disappointing to me. Then again, my friend did point out that in Thor, he was stripped of his powers for most of the film, so he was a more "human" character. In this film he was Thor, ThunderGod through the whole film.
Old May 5 2012, 01:42 AM   #335
Procutus
Admiral

Wow, what a great movie! I don't even know where to begin, there were so many things about it I enjoyed. I really want to see this again, and soon. Joss Whedon is a god for delivering a movie that for me, met and exceeded all of my expectations.

Old May 5 2012, 01:53 AM   #336
Caliburn24
Commodore

Best of the Marvel movies by far, probably in my top 3-4 superhero movies along with X2, TDK, Incredibles. Just not sure where at in that order quite yet.

But it is not a perfect movie. The score is instantly forgettable, but had they had some decent hummable character themes it could have been fantastic. Wasted opportunity.

The beginning of the movie drags a bit, getting all the characters to where they need to be. Whedon slips some humor in, which makes it more tolerable, but it still drags.

The Chitauri are weaksauce bad guys. And deeply uninteresting. Basically space pirates, with no piratical charm. The next movie needs someone who can go toe-to-toe with the heavy hitters of Hulk/Thor/Ironman and present a physical threat.

Finally, in the third act the council is way too quick to nuke New York. The Helicarrier should have positioned itself under the portal, and tried and failed to contain the alien invasion(c'mon, that would have been some sweet PEWPEW!). After the Helicarrier crashed or whatever, the council could have then ordered the nuke strike knowing their most advanced conventional military option wasn't going to cut it. It would also have given Nick and Maria some cool stuff to do instead of just watching things on the news.
Caliburn24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 5 2012, 02:31 AM   #337
CaptainCanada
Admiral

Since superheroes started making the transition to live action, by far the hardest things to translate has been the literal action and the larger-than-life sorts of stories. Superman II, in the very early period, delivered some decent-looking stuff, but the technology really wasn't all there. Most of the movies in the post-X-Men world have tried to play down some of the more fanciful elements of the genre -- Marvel's own Thor, a part of this series, was pretty out there, but went out of its way to tone down the magic in favour of science. Fantastic Four shows the downside of this, where they completely stripped what should have been the most adventurous Marvel property of its wonder. I don't know if this movie is more "magical" per se, but in terms of both scope and live action fights this sets a new bar. All future superpowered action movies will be measured against this.

After so many movies worth of buildup, Whedon knits things together fairly efficiently, and so many pieces have been put in place that things start running very quickly.

The cast all works fairly well. Some characters feel a bit more unmored from their settings than others (Captain America most pronouncedly, though in a way that's fitting; but the movie mostly leaves his character arc for his next solo movie). Iron Man and the two characters basically introduced here (Black Widow and Hawkeye) feel most at home, and Banner slips in very seamlessly. I'm still not entirely sure I like Johansson as the Widow. She's not bad in the fight scenes (the opening chair scene features a few poor stagings, but that's not her fault), and is a good actress, but she never really feels foreign, which this movie confirms that Natasha is supposed to be; she doesn't have the sense of mystery that I think the Widow should have.

- Homer Simpson
CaptainCanada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 5 2012, 02:37 AM   #338
Trekker4747
Fleet Admiral

LINK

The Cinema Snob begins again the Midnight Screening in-car afteward discussion videos. Usually pretty interesting and fun (more so if it was a bad movie.) Unfortuantly the group in the car with him this time aren't the "regulars" who normally do these Midnight Screenings with him (including his wife) but still and interesting chat.
Old May 5 2012, 03:35 AM   #339
Dream
Admiral

Anyone else feel that this movie ended up being a way better Iron Man sequel than Iron Man 2?
Dream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 5 2012, 03:47 AM   #340
Warped9
Admiral

I'm planning on seeing this tomorrow.
Old May 5 2012, 04:03 AM   #341
Dream
Admiral

I really liked Pepper Potts' cameo in this movie. She looked really looked nice in those jean short shorts.
Dream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 5 2012, 04:23 AM   #342
Turtletrekker
Vice Admiral

I've seen it twice now. Epic. Awesome. Utterly amazing. A+
Old May 5 2012, 04:55 AM   #343
Captain Craig
Vice Admiral

Ditto, seen it twice now.
I have a friend who couldn't go today(Fri) due to family obligations. However, tomorrow is Free Comic Book Day and after I hemmed and hawed told him I'd catch a 1:30 with him after we leave the sale at our LCS. Damn, twist my fricking arm.

I'm so sold on a "solo" Black Widow film. I use quotes cause Clint/Hawkeye could play a strong support role during part of the movie.

So Alexis Denisof is in this film right? Is he
Captain Craig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 5 2012, 05:11 AM   #344
Admiral James Kirk
Writer

He's the leader of the Chitauri.
Admiral James Kirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 5 2012, 05:23 AM   #345
Turtletrekker
Vice Admiral

^Right. The guy who we see Loki talking to early on and then reporting to ****** at the end.

Last edited by Turtletrekker; May 5 2012 at 05:35 AM.
Turtletrekker is online now   Reply With Quote