RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 138,207
Posts: 5,346,477
Members: 24,605
Currently online: 561
Newest member: Disco

TrekToday headlines

Funko Mini Spock
By: T'Bonz on Jul 23

IDW Publishing Comic Preview
By: T'Bonz on Jul 23

A Baby For Saldana
By: T'Bonz on Jul 23

Klingon Beer Arrives In The US
By: T'Bonz on Jul 22

Star Trek: Prelude To Axanar
By: T'Bonz on Jul 22

Abrams Announces Star Wars: Force For Change Sweepstakes
By: T'Bonz on Jul 22

New Funko Trek Figure
By: T'Bonz on Jul 21

Saldana As A Role Model
By: T'Bonz on Jul 21

San Diego Comic-Con Trek Fan Guide
By: T'Bonz on Jul 21

Cumberbatch As Turing
By: T'Bonz on Jul 21


Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.


Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

View Poll Results: How do you grade The Avengers?
A+ 149 46.42%
A 102 31.78%
A- 30 9.35%
B+ 17 5.30%
B 11 3.43%
B- 5 1.56%
C+ 0 0%
C 4 1.25%
C- 1 0.31%
D+ 1 0.31%
D 0 0%
D- 0 0%
F 1 0.31%
Voters: 321. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old May 4 2012, 11:20 AM   #286
Skywalker
Admiral
 
Skywalker's Avatar
 
Re: AVENGERS: Grade, Reviews, Discuss, DVD & Sequel **SPOILERS**

I wouldn't mind seeing both Wasp and Ms. Marvel. Speaking of Danvers, I wonder if Marvel would bring the Kree into the MCU...
Skywalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 4 2012, 11:40 AM   #287
Gov Kodos
Vice Admiral
 
Gov Kodos's Avatar
 
Location: Gov Kodos Regretably far from Boston
Re: AVENGERS: Grade, Reviews, Discuss, DVD & Sequel **SPOILERS**

Skywalker wrote: View Post
I wouldn't mind seeing both Wasp and Ms. Marvel. Speaking of Danvers, I wonder if Marvel would bring the Kree into the MCU...
I love that idea more than the reveal at the end of the film. A Skrull and Kree battle would be cool. I would love Scarlett as Ms Marvel, myself, but I guess that won't be in the cards now. Another Marvel Lady I'd like to see is Monica Rambeau.
__________________
We are quicksilver, a fleeting shadow, a distant sound... our home has no boundaries beyond which we cannot pass. We live in music, in a flash of color... we live on the wind and in the sparkle of a star! Endora, Bewitched
Gov Kodos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 4 2012, 12:24 PM   #288
Procutus
Admiral
 
Procutus's Avatar
 
Location: Caught in a Prism...
Re: AVENGERS: Grade, Reviews, Discuss, DVD & Sequel **SPOILERS**

We're off to see it today at 12:30. The fact that virtually every review I've read is positive (and the grades here) have me super-psyched to see this. I've been waiting for this day since I first saw the 42nd Street set last August.






__________________
Proud user of Windows XP since 2006.
Procutus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 4 2012, 12:52 PM   #289
trekkiebaggio
Vice Admiral
 
trekkiebaggio's Avatar
 
Location: Dancing to the Jailhouse Rock
View trekkiebaggio's Twitter Profile
Re: AVENGERS: Grade, Reviews, Discuss, DVD & Sequel **SPOILERS**

Oh, one thing I thought of when I saw it again the other night.

__________________
Angelic Hellfire - My novel.

Man of Yesterday - My blog: movie, books and board game reviews.
trekkiebaggio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 4 2012, 03:35 PM   #290
Procutus
Admiral
 
Procutus's Avatar
 
Location: Caught in a Prism...
Re: AVENGERS: Grade, Reviews, Discuss, DVD & Sequel **SPOILERS**

The Plain Dealer also gave the movie a grade of 'A' and praised Joss' ability to balance everything and deliver a film that has broad appeal.

Two hours to go!


__________________
Proud user of Windows XP since 2006.
Procutus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 4 2012, 04:18 PM   #291
Hartzilla2007
Vice Admiral
 
Hartzilla2007's Avatar
 
Location: Star Trekkin Across the universe.
Re: AVENGERS: Grade, Reviews, Discuss, DVD & Sequel **SPOILERS**

It was a great movie

Hartzilla2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 4 2012, 04:39 PM   #292
Chemahkuu
Vice Admiral
 
Chemahkuu's Avatar
 
Location: United Kingdom
Send a message via Yahoo to Chemahkuu
Re: AVENGERS: Grade, Reviews, Discuss, DVD & Sequel **SPOILERS**

Finally got to see in it England on Wednesday, awesome film and thoroughly enjoyed it start to finish.
Chemahkuu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 4 2012, 04:40 PM   #293
Robert Maxwell
Respect the Beef
 
Robert Maxwell's Avatar
 
Location: Right behind you!
View Robert Maxwell's Twitter Profile Send a message via ICQ to Robert Maxwell Send a message via AIM to Robert Maxwell Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Robert Maxwell Send a message via Yahoo to Robert Maxwell
Re: AVENGERS: Grade, Reviews, Discuss, DVD & Sequel **SPOILERS**

Saw it last night. Was pretty much what I expected, which is good enough for me. High art, it ain't, but damn it was fun.
__________________
"Holy shit! It's Beef Supreme!"
The Journeyman - Buy it now! Maybe?
My world simulation project!
My blog
Robert Maxwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 4 2012, 04:44 PM   #294
Chemahkuu
Vice Admiral
 
Chemahkuu's Avatar
 
Location: United Kingdom
Send a message via Yahoo to Chemahkuu
Re: AVENGERS: Grade, Reviews, Discuss, DVD & Sequel **SPOILERS**

Yup I love Coulson's pretty blantant dig at Twilight, the audience reaction to that one was great.
Chemahkuu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 4 2012, 04:52 PM   #295
ITL
Vice Admiral
 
ITL's Avatar
 
Location: Palace Of The Brine
Re: AVENGERS: Grade, Reviews, Discuss, DVD & Sequel **SPOILERS**

Hartzilla2007 wrote: View Post
It was a great movie


And yep, it was great.
__________________
"Closed this morning as Ravenscroft, the bakery's dog, sprained his mouth whistling round a corner."
- Tockleys Bakery
ITL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 4 2012, 04:53 PM   #296
Venardhi
Vice Admiral
 
Venardhi's Avatar
 
Location: Constant transit
Send a message via AIM to Venardhi Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Venardhi
Re: AVENGERS: Grade, Reviews, Discuss, DVD & Sequel **SPOILERS**

DigificWriter wrote: View Post
Venardhi wrote: View Post
Normally this is the last thing on my mind, but the scene where Cap has to shield Black Widow kind of highlighted the fact that she isn't a "real" superhero. She serves a purpose in the story and has her action and heroic moments, but cowering from Hulk and manipulating Loki with tears seems hardly powerful feminist stuff coming from Whedon. By the next one they really need to have a proper female superhero to join the boys tossing punches and flying through walls.

Really my only notable complaint. The movie is goddamn fantastic.
A female character doesn't have to have superpowers for Whedon to make them strong. Black Widow joins Zoe Wasburne, Kaylee Frye, and Winifred Burkle in Whedon's pantheon of non-powered 'superwomen', and is written just as strongly and believeably as them. She more than holds her own against the guys, and is actually one of the best characters in the movie. Her moments of vulnerability in no way make her 'weaker' and in fact only demonstrate her strength.

Venardhi wrote: View Post
Looking through the Avengers roster through the years highlights very few superpowered female characters suited for the film treatment, much less their own movie. Wasp would be tricky too, and she might just have the most potential of all of them.
Gotta disagree. Carol Danvers/Ms. Marvel would fit very comfortably into the filmic Avengers lineup and is a character who very much fits into the mold of Whedon's stable of superpowered female heroes.
I'm not saying she wasn't a compelling character, but her physical weakness and moments of vulnerability in comparison to the big guys highlighted how much of a boys club it is. It isn't that there isn't a role for her, it just seems that there should be a woman on the team who doesn't need protecting when the real shit hits the fan.
__________________
"There is no reason why good cannot triumph as often as evil. The triumph of anything is a matter of organization. If there are such things as angels, I hope that they are organized along the lines of the Maffia." - Winston Niles Rumfoord.
Venardhi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old May 4 2012, 05:00 PM   #297
Chemahkuu
Vice Admiral
 
Chemahkuu's Avatar
 
Location: United Kingdom
Send a message via Yahoo to Chemahkuu
Re: AVENGERS: Grade, Reviews, Discuss, DVD & Sequel **SPOILERS**

Also, reading back over the last few pages:

Chemahkuu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 4 2012, 05:03 PM   #298
DigificWriter
Rear Admiral
 
Location: West Haven, UT, USA
Re: AVENGERS: Grade, Reviews, Discuss, DVD & Sequel **SPOILERS**

Venardhi wrote: View Post
Normally this is the last thing on my mind, but the scene where Cap has to shield Black Widow kind of highlighted the fact that she isn't a "real" superhero. She serves a purpose in the story and has her action and heroic moments, but cowering from Hulk and manipulating Loki with tears seems hardly powerful feminist stuff coming from Whedon. By the next one they really need to have a proper female superhero to join the boys tossing punches and flying through walls.

Really my only notable complaint. The movie is goddamn fantastic.
Venardhi wrote: View Post
DigificWriter wrote: View Post
Venardhi wrote: View Post
Normally this is the last thing on my mind, but the scene where Cap has to shield Black Widow kind of highlighted the fact that she isn't a "real" superhero. She serves a purpose in the story and has her action and heroic moments, but cowering from Hulk and manipulating Loki with tears seems hardly powerful feminist stuff coming from Whedon. By the next one they really need to have a proper female superhero to join the boys tossing punches and flying through walls.

Really my only notable complaint. The movie is goddamn fantastic.
A female character doesn't have to have superpowers for Whedon to make them strong. Black Widow joins Zoe Wasburne, Kaylee Frye, and Winifred Burkle in Whedon's pantheon of non-powered 'superwomen', and is written just as strongly and believeably as them. She more than holds her own against the guys, and is actually one of the best characters in the movie. Her moments of vulnerability in no way make her 'weaker' and in fact only demonstrate her strength.

Venardhi wrote: View Post
Looking through the Avengers roster through the years highlights very few superpowered female characters suited for the film treatment, much less their own movie. Wasp would be tricky too, and she might just have the most potential of all of them.
Gotta disagree. Carol Danvers/Ms. Marvel would fit very comfortably into the filmic Avengers lineup and is a character who very much fits into the mold of Whedon's stable of superpowered female heroes.
I'm not saying she wasn't a compelling character, but her physical weakness and moments of vulnerability in comparison to the big guys highlighted how much of a boys club it is. It isn't that there isn't a role for her, it just seems that there should be a woman on the team who doesn't need protecting when the real shit hits the fan.
Did you and I watch the same movie? Black Widow didn't 'need protecting when the real shit hit the fan. She kicked ass and took names just as much as the boys, and actually might've outdone them.
__________________
Starbuck: We're all friendlies. So, let's just... be friendly.

"Ze director's cut is ze film you saw in ze theater."
DigificWriter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 4 2012, 05:03 PM   #299
OdoWanKenobi
Ring Slinger
 
OdoWanKenobi's Avatar
 
Location: Mogo
Re: AVENGERS: Grade, Reviews, Discuss, DVD & Sequel **SPOILERS**

Venardhi wrote: View Post
I'm not saying she wasn't a compelling character, but her physical weakness and moments of vulnerability in comparison to the big guys highlighted how much of a boys club it is. It isn't that there isn't a role for her, it just seems that there should be a woman on the team who doesn't need protecting when the real shit hits the fan.
She was trapped in a confined space with the freaking HULK! Anyone in their right mind would be shitting themselves. The fact that she managed an escape, with an injured leg no less, and managed to stay relatively calm is a testament to her character. The manipulating with tears thing was just that: manipulation. She was playing at weak in order to trick Loki into revealing his play, and it worked.

Also, big freaking explosion and Cap has a shield that will completely deflect it. Had he been right next to Hawkeye, he would have been protecting him.

Honestly though, every single one of the Avengers had to be rescued by another at some point. But because Black Widow has some actual character, has vulnerabilities and isn't just an ice queen, that somehow makes her weak and unfit to be there?
__________________
"In Brightest Day, in Blackest Night, no evil shall escape my sight. Let those who worship evil's might, beware my power: Green Lantern's light!"
OdoWanKenobi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 4 2012, 05:53 PM   #300
Samurai8472
Vice Admiral
 
Samurai8472's Avatar
 
Re: AVENGERS: Grade, Reviews, Discuss, DVD & Sequel **SPOILERS**

Chemahkuu wrote: View Post
Also, reading back over the last few pages:

The Mark II suit was turned into War Machine in Iron Man 2


THE AVENGERS Pulls In $20M From Midnight Showings, But Fails To Break Record.

http://www.comicbookmovie.com/fansit.../news/?a=59127

It could have made more but it looks like it could still do some good.


I blame the bootleg.
__________________
"Inception" is a layer cake.
Samurai8472 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Tags
avengers, black widow, captain america, hawkeye, hulk, iron man, loki, marvel, thor

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT +1. The time now is 08:53 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
FireFox 2+ or Internet Explorer 7+ highly recommended.