New Funko Trek Figure
By: T'Bonz on Jul 21

Saldana As A Role Model

San Diego Comic-Con Trek Fan Guide

Cumberbatch As Turing

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

View Poll Results: How do you grade The Avengers?
A+ 149 46.42%
A 102 31.78%
A- 30 9.35%
B+ 17 5.30%
B 11 3.43%
B- 5 1.56%
C+ 0 0%
C 4 1.25%
C- 1 0.31%
D+ 1 0.31%
D 0 0%
D- 0 0%
F 1 0.31%
Voters: 321. You may not vote on this poll

Old May 4 2012, 11:20 AM   #286
Skywalker
Admiral

Re: AVENGERS: Grade, Reviews, Discuss, DVD & Sequel **SPOILERS**

I wouldn't mind seeing both Wasp and Ms. Marvel. Speaking of Danvers, I wonder if Marvel would bring the Kree into the MCU...
Skywalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 4 2012, 11:40 AM   #287
Gov Kodos
Vice Admiral

Skywalker wrote: View Post
I wouldn't mind seeing both Wasp and Ms. Marvel. Speaking of Danvers, I wonder if Marvel would bring the Kree into the MCU...
I love that idea more than the reveal at the end of the film. A Skrull and Kree battle would be cool. I would love Scarlett as Ms Marvel, myself, but I guess that won't be in the cards now. Another Marvel Lady I'd like to see is Monica Rambeau.
We are quicksilver, a fleeting shadow, a distant sound... our home has no boundaries beyond which we cannot pass. We live in music, in a flash of color... we live on the wind and in the sparkle of a star! Endora, Bewitched
Gov Kodos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 4 2012, 12:24 PM   #288
Procutus
Admiral

We're off to see it today at 12:30. The fact that virtually every review I've read is positive (and the grades here) have me super-psyched to see this. I've been waiting for this day since I first saw the 42nd Street set last August.

Old May 4 2012, 12:52 PM   #289
trekkiebaggio
Vice Admiral

View trekkiebaggio's Twitter Profile

Oh, one thing I thought of when I saw it again the other night.

Man of Yesterday - My blog: movie, books and board game reviews.
trekkiebaggio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 4 2012, 03:35 PM   #290
Procutus
Admiral

The Plain Dealer also gave the movie a grade of 'A' and praised Joss' ability to balance everything and deliver a film that has broad appeal.

Two hours to go!

Old May 4 2012, 04:18 PM   #291
Hartzilla2007
Vice Admiral

It was a great movie

Hartzilla2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 4 2012, 04:39 PM   #292
Chemahkuu
Vice Admiral

Send a message via Yahoo to Chemahkuu

Finally got to see in it England on Wednesday, awesome film and thoroughly enjoyed it start to finish.
Chemahkuu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 4 2012, 04:40 PM   #293
Robert Maxwell
Respect the Beef

View Robert Maxwell's Twitter Profile Send a message via ICQ to Robert Maxwell Send a message via AIM to Robert Maxwell Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Robert Maxwell Send a message via Yahoo to Robert Maxwell

Saw it last night. Was pretty much what I expected, which is good enough for me. High art, it ain't, but damn it was fun.
My blog
Robert Maxwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 4 2012, 04:44 PM   #294
Chemahkuu
Vice Admiral

Yup I love Coulson's pretty blantant dig at Twilight, the audience reaction to that one was great.
Old May 4 2012, 04:52 PM   #295
ITL
Vice Admiral

Hartzilla2007 wrote: View Post
It was a great movie

And yep, it was great.
Old May 4 2012, 04:53 PM   #296
Venardhi
Vice Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Venardhi Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Venardhi

DigificWriter wrote: View Post
Venardhi wrote: View Post
Normally this is the last thing on my mind, but the scene where Cap has to shield Black Widow kind of highlighted the fact that she isn't a "real" superhero. She serves a purpose in the story and has her action and heroic moments, but cowering from Hulk and manipulating Loki with tears seems hardly powerful feminist stuff coming from Whedon. By the next one they really need to have a proper female superhero to join the boys tossing punches and flying through walls.

Really my only notable complaint. The movie is goddamn fantastic.
A female character doesn't have to have superpowers for Whedon to make them strong. Black Widow joins Zoe Wasburne, Kaylee Frye, and Winifred Burkle in Whedon's pantheon of non-powered 'superwomen', and is written just as strongly and believeably as them. She more than holds her own against the guys, and is actually one of the best characters in the movie. Her moments of vulnerability in no way make her 'weaker' and in fact only demonstrate her strength.

Looking through the Avengers roster through the years highlights very few superpowered female characters suited for the film treatment, much less their own movie. Wasp would be tricky too, and she might just have the most potential of all of them.
Gotta disagree. Carol Danvers/Ms. Marvel would fit very comfortably into the filmic Avengers lineup and is a character who very much fits into the mold of Whedon's stable of superpowered female heroes.
I'm not saying she wasn't a compelling character, but her physical weakness and moments of vulnerability in comparison to the big guys highlighted how much of a boys club it is. It isn't that there isn't a role for her, it just seems that there should be a woman on the team who doesn't need protecting when the real shit hits the fan.
"There is no reason why good cannot triumph as often as evil. The triumph of anything is a matter of organization. If there are such things as angels, I hope that they are organized along the lines of the Maffia." - Winston Niles Rumfoord.
Venardhi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old May 4 2012, 05:00 PM   #297
Chemahkuu
Vice Admiral

Also, reading back over the last few pages:

Old May 4 2012, 05:03 PM   #298
DigificWriter
Rear Admiral

Normally this is the last thing on my mind, but the scene where Cap has to shield Black Widow kind of highlighted the fact that she isn't a "real" superhero. She serves a purpose in the story and has her action and heroic moments, but cowering from Hulk and manipulating Loki with tears seems hardly powerful feminist stuff coming from Whedon. By the next one they really need to have a proper female superhero to join the boys tossing punches and flying through walls.

DigificWriter wrote: View Post

A female character doesn't have to have superpowers for Whedon to make them strong. Black Widow joins Zoe Wasburne, Kaylee Frye, and Winifred Burkle in Whedon's pantheon of non-powered 'superwomen', and is written just as strongly and believeably as them. She more than holds her own against the guys, and is actually one of the best characters in the movie. Her moments of vulnerability in no way make her 'weaker' and in fact only demonstrate her strength.

Looking through the Avengers roster through the years highlights very few superpowered female characters suited for the film treatment, much less their own movie. Wasp would be tricky too, and she might just have the most potential of all of them.
Gotta disagree. Carol Danvers/Ms. Marvel would fit very comfortably into the filmic Avengers lineup and is a character who very much fits into the mold of Whedon's stable of superpowered female heroes.
I'm not saying she wasn't a compelling character, but her physical weakness and moments of vulnerability in comparison to the big guys highlighted how much of a boys club it is. It isn't that there isn't a role for her, it just seems that there should be a woman on the team who doesn't need protecting when the real shit hits the fan.
Did you and I watch the same movie? Black Widow didn't 'need protecting when the real shit hit the fan. She kicked ass and took names just as much as the boys, and actually might've outdone them.

"Ze director's cut is ze film you saw in ze theater."
DigificWriter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 4 2012, 05:03 PM   #299
OdoWanKenobi
Ring Slinger

She was trapped in a confined space with the freaking HULK! Anyone in their right mind would be shitting themselves. The fact that she managed an escape, with an injured leg no less, and managed to stay relatively calm is a testament to her character. The manipulating with tears thing was just that: manipulation. She was playing at weak in order to trick Loki into revealing his play, and it worked.

Also, big freaking explosion and Cap has a shield that will completely deflect it. Had he been right next to Hawkeye, he would have been protecting him.

Honestly though, every single one of the Avengers had to be rescued by another at some point. But because Black Widow has some actual character, has vulnerabilities and isn't just an ice queen, that somehow makes her weak and unfit to be there?
Old May 4 2012, 05:53 PM   #300
Samurai8472
Vice Admiral

Chemahkuu wrote: View Post
Also, reading back over the last few pages:

The Mark II suit was turned into War Machine in Iron Man 2

THE AVENGERS Pulls In $20M From Midnight Showings, But Fails To Break Record.

http://www.comicbookmovie.com/fansit.../news/?a=59127

It could have made more but it looks like it could still do some good.

I blame the bootleg.