Kirk’s Well Wishes To Kirk
By: T'Bonz on Apr 15

Quinto In New Starz Series
By: T'Bonz on Apr 15

Star Trek: Horizon Film
By: T'Bonz on Apr 14

Star Trek: Fleet Captains Game Expansion
By: T'Bonz on Apr 14

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Welcome to the Trek BBS! > General Trek Discussion

General Trek Discussion Trek TV and cinema subjects not related to any specific series or movie.

Old April 20 2012, 11:11 PM   #16
Sector 7
Rear Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Sector 7
Re: 53 Reasons Why We Need a New Star Trek TV Series

Bry_Sinclair wrote: View Post
The time to make a statement about a gay character on Trek passed long ago. When one is included, it shouldn't be used to define the character (it shouldn't appear in any press releases, etc), but just be one small facet of who they are. So that when he/she has a same sex partner, it is done so in a non-hyped manner. Its just a person engaging in a healthy, happy relationship.
I agree, Bry_Sinclair, Trek lost out on being cutting edge in relation to gay people long ago.

NOTE: While it's always nice to be quoted, I did not write the article. I enjoyed it and reprinted it here.
Old April 20 2012, 11:16 PM   #17
Methos
First Officer: USS Aventine

View Methos's Twitter Profile Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Methos Send a message via Yahoo to Methos

Sector 7 wrote: View Post
Finally a Star Trek show about crime scenes and lawyers?
CSI: Starfleet?

SCIS (Starfleet Criminal Investigative Service)?

M
Old April 20 2012, 11:24 PM   #18
Methos
First Officer: USS Aventine

View Methos's Twitter Profile Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Methos Send a message via Yahoo to Methos

T'Girl wrote: View Post
There has been some conjecture (some by me) that the reason we don't see gays in Star Trek is because they are in some way being "suppressed" by the Federation's overall society. Think America sixty years ago. So having a Captain who make the decision to be openly gay would be one way of introducing gays into the Star Trek world.

The story line could mirror the historical gay coming out that actually occurred in our society, but set in the Star Trek universe, a on going B-story, or C-story that is one aspect of the series, but not the only subject of the series.

The Captain could meet with acceptance from some, but rejection, resistance and condemnation from other in Starfleet and the Federation on general. And even those aboard his (her) own ship.

This would be an alternative to suddenly showing gays and saying oh yeah "they" were alway here, and alway accepted.

The Federation is all inclusive, please don't ask too many questions.

I really don't see this as a viable way for them to bring homosexual relationships onto the screen... Starfleet obviously doesn't have a problem with mixed race / species relationships... as evidenced by the amount of half whatever characters around... and it's perfectly logical to assume that there are aliens in the Trek universe who have more than one sex... male, female, whatever else... i'm sure at one point it was said the Andorian's had 4 sexes... so limiting relationships to male / female wouldn't really work for an organisation like Starfleet...

I'd rather just have it included and passed as just part of the character... doesn't need to be any big fuss about it or anything, in 300 years or so, i damn well hope we're over homophobia and ignorance... if not then i really hope the first alien culture we come into contact with, blows the hell out of this planet for it's continued stupidity

M
Old April 20 2012, 11:38 PM   #19
Temis the Vorta
Fleet Admiral

TiberiusMaximus wrote: View Post
He spelled Khan wrong.

Just sayin'.
He failed the test. Warsie spy in our midst.
Temis the Vorta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 21 2012, 02:09 AM   #20
Sector 7
Rear Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Sector 7

Temis the Vorta wrote: View Post
He spelled Khan wrong.

Just sayin'.
Old April 21 2012, 03:00 AM   #21
TiberiusMaximus
Fleet Captain

Location: A ship, a living ship, full of strange alien lifeforms.

He spelled Khan wrong.

Just sayin'.
Prepare the airlock.
"Quite possibly, the five Jem'Hadar could turn Data into a collection of four spasming limbs, one helpless torso, and one head that shouts insults at them like the Black Knight from the Monty Python sketch." -Timo Saloniemi
TiberiusMaximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 21 2012, 03:18 AM   #22
Admiral Buzzkill
The Legend

Anji wrote: View Post
But we need a new Star Trek series to critique our culture and make us examine what we have become. And that will force us to become something better.
No television series has ever done anything even approaching this.
Admiral Buzzkill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 21 2012, 07:19 AM   #23
tafkats
Vice Admiral

Gary7 wrote: View Post
There's only really one good reason why we need another Star Trek series:

Because there are plenty of fans just waiting for one, sufficient to produce ample viewer turnout.
However, you have to remember that it's not just about revenue and profit in a vacuum ... it's about opportunity cost.

A network might be able to make money running a new Star Trek series, but with the number of hours in the day being finite, they'd have an opportunity cost problem if something else would have brought in more.
Old April 21 2012, 11:29 AM   #24
T'Girl
Vice Admiral

My Name Is Legion wrote: View Post
Anji wrote: View Post
But we need a new Star Trek series to critique our culture and make us examine what we have become. And that will force us to become something better.
No television series has ever done anything even approaching this.
Force us to become better? No never. But a mere television show can be a platform for criticism and examination of our culture (and other cultures), and science fiction - with it's aliens and monsters - can be very good at this.

Buffy the Vampire Slayer was (initially) about the difficulty of teenagers in the environment of High School, and not actually about real monsters, it dealt with the matter through metaphors.

Star Trek through the years has been used for social commentary and also advocacy, sometimes with hit or miss results.

Gene Roddenberry created the prime directive as a statement about America's involvement in the Vietnam War. But some of his efforts in that direction backfired, A Private Little War comes off a more of a endorsement of American involvement, rather than a advocacy for withdrawal.

T'Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 22 2012, 08:32 PM   #25
Temis the Vorta
Fleet Admiral

He spelled Khan wrong.

Just sayin'.
Prepare the airlock.
You're up, Jon.
Temis the Vorta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 22 2012, 08:49 PM   #26
CaptainMatt
Fleet Captain

Hey what is this? Can't Star Trek and Star Wars fans get along? Whatever happened to the concept of IDIC?
CaptainMatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 22 2012, 09:25 PM   #27
gazomg
Commander

What would a new trek series offer......?

We had the ship boldly going out in adventure on most accasions, enterprise covered the early period, DS9 the stationary show, dont think a mirror universe series would be any good as its only ok for an odd episode.
We had voyager doing the lost elsewhere scenario, the movied covered time travel along with numerous episodes of trek, so what exactly would the premise be for a new trek series. ?

Would i like a new trek ? of course but it would have to ne right or risk diluting everything else
gazomg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 24 2012, 12:52 AM   #28
GSnail
Lieutenant Commander

I think it's a silly idea to think the WHOLE ENTIRE FRANCHISE will be 'diluted' or somehow messed up by a new series if it's a flop. New material can only enrich the universe.
There are tons of possible angles to explore the star trek universe. Things like, what's going on on Earth, a show set in the academy, or what people do all day in a world where they don't need money. Not everyone works in space do they?
Maybe follow a colony. Maybe follow an alien colony. An alien ship? Enemies of the Federation?
The 25th century, when they finally leave the galaxy?
GSnail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 24 2012, 01:06 AM   #29
GemHaters
Captain

I only need one reason. Because a world without Star Trek is not a world I want to be a part of. When I was just a child I'd stay up late just to watch The Next Generation, and now we have nothing but this blaspheme that JJ Abrams is pumping out...It's not right. I don't care what other people say about a "watered down series". I refuse to hear anything negative anyone has to say about it.

17. At this point there should be an entire channel dedicated to Star Trek. Channel 780 should be all Star Trek, all the time.
^This. My life would seriously be complete if that ever happened.
GemHaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 24 2012, 02:52 AM   #30
Brolan
Commodore

I always chuckle when I hear people talking about "too much Trek". Apparently too much is bad for Trek but good for CSI, Law & Order, and NCIS.
Brolan is offline   Reply With Quote