RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 141,346
Posts: 5,502,465
Members: 25,119
Currently online: 649
Newest member: mahler

TrekToday headlines

IDW Publishing March 2015 Comics
By: T'Bonz on Dec 17

Paramount Star Trek 3 Expectations
By: T'Bonz on Dec 17

Star Trek #39 Sneak Peek
By: T'Bonz on Dec 16

Star Trek 3 Potential Director Shortlist
By: T'Bonz on Dec 16

Official Starships Collection Update
By: T'Bonz on Dec 15

Retro Review: Prodigal Daughter
By: Michelle on Dec 13

Sindicate Lager To Debut In The US Next Week
By: T'Bonz on Dec 12

Rumor Mill: Saldana Gives Birth
By: T'Bonz on Dec 12

New Line of Anovos Enterprise Uniforms
By: T'Bonz on Dec 11

Frakes: Sign Me Up!
By: T'Bonz on Dec 11


Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.


Go Back   The Trek BBS > Welcome to the Trek BBS! > General Trek Discussion

General Trek Discussion Trek TV and cinema subjects not related to any specific series or movie.

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old April 16 2012, 07:21 PM   #31
nacelle
Lieutenant Commander
 
Location: Voyager in the UK!
Re: Star Trek London - All 5 captains to be there!

Admiral Bear wrote: View Post
nacelle wrote: View Post
Oh dear this is disappointing. It looks like the event is being run by showmasters. After encountering a very rude steward at kleptomania a couple of years back i swore i would never attend another one of there events again. That wasnt the first time either!
You probably came across the fat, sweaty, foul mouthed, lying idiot who ran it. Everyone at Shamasters is rotten and unpleasant to the core, I'm afraid. And that goes for many of the people who crew its events.
Actually it was a young girl. She spouted a lot of what sounded like jealous crap to me. I was in starfleet uniform and talked to the two klingons quite a bit. (Martok and Gowron!) She was very rude to me. I would have had a go at her but i wasnt sure if the two klingons would be able to hear me. So i just looked down at her and walked off.
nacelle is offline  
Old April 16 2012, 07:25 PM   #32
gazomg
Captain
 
gazomg's Avatar
 
Location: The Peoples Republic of Cork
Re: Star Trek London - All 5 captains to be there!

Admiral Bear wrote: View Post

If you go on the Shamasters forum, half the questions are being answered with "don't know", and if you say it's too expensive or mention Warp 10, your posts get deleted.
since I am relatively new , what is this warp 10 you refer to ?
gazomg is offline  
Old April 16 2012, 07:33 PM   #33
MacLeod
Admiral
 
Location: Great Britain
Re: Star Trek London - All 5 captains to be there!

I'm gussing it was a convention or signing event.
__________________
On the continent of wild endeavour in the mountains of solace and solitude there stood the citadel of the time lords, the oldest and most mighty race in the universe looking down on the galaxies below sworn never to interfere only to watch.
MacLeod is offline  
Old April 16 2012, 07:40 PM   #34
Admiral Bear
Captain
 
Admiral Bear's Avatar
 
Location: Permanent away mission with the fairies
Re: Star Trek London - All 5 captains to be there!

Jim Gamma wrote: View Post
Has anyone tried writing to CBS advising them about Showmasters and their history, and requesting assurance that this isn't a scam on Showmasters' part? I doubt CBS would want to be involved with it if SMs' history is really this patchy, it would really damage them!
Despite the fact that I doubt CBS would care, I'll say this. On the assumption that Creation were asked but declined to organise this event due to it's obvious unprofitability, CBS were left in a difficult position. For whatever reasons, desperate to run this event, they probably didn't want to use Shamasters for obvious reasons, so found Media 10, a company with no sci-fi convention experience. Media 10 have said "Ooooh ooooh! CBS want to give us tonnes of money for running an event we have no idea about! We'll take it! "

As irony would have it, Media 10 have now passed the whole organisation of the event to Shamasters! Now, what exact responsibility Shamasters have for this event is up for debate. The actual show administration seems to have been given to them, but I don't know about the guests. Joiner is well known for repeatedly lying about his guest announcements, but I doubt unless Media 10 and CBS had got the 5 Captains nailed down contracturally, that today's email would've gone out.

Somewhere there's a massive leak of information between Media 10 and Shamasters. I heard about the 5 Captains appearing at this event about 2 months ago.
Admiral Bear is offline  
Old April 16 2012, 07:57 PM   #35
Jim Gamma
Rear Admiral
 
Jim Gamma's Avatar
 
Location: London
Send a message via ICQ to Jim Gamma
Re: Star Trek London - All 5 captains to be there!

Why would CBS not care? It's their reputation on the line, if they get involved in something that turns out to be a scam, not to mention that if it's widely known that CBS sanctioned a sham event, people are less likely to attend other events they're involved in, so they get less money.

In any case - Excel don't have data on events past September on their website but you could always try emailing them to get confirmation it's actually there. These centres all love promoting their events!
__________________
My LJ
TrekBBS LJ community
(AKA Jim Gamma)
Jim Gamma is offline  
Old April 16 2012, 07:58 PM   #36
Sagart
Fleet Captain
 
Location: Northern Ireland
Re: Star Trek London - All 5 captains to be there!

All 5 Trek Captains have appeared at Showmasters events in the past, as have many other Trek guests so I guess they know what they're getting into. I was speaking to Patrick Stewart's agent after one such show and he said Patrick enjoyed his day. I have attended many SM events over the years and while I have encountered a couple of staff members and crew who could be taught how to deal politely with the public, many others have be nice and helpful. While those on here speaking negatively about them may be doing so out of their own bad experiences, I've always had a good time at their shows and have met many stars because of them from Bill, Patrick, Avery and the rest to the likes of John Hurt, Burt Reynolds, Nathan Fillion and Elijah Wood. I just feel it's always good to have a few different view points to consider.
__________________
Carpenter from Nazareth, seeks joiners.
Sagart is offline  
Old April 16 2012, 07:58 PM   #37
Admiral Bear
Captain
 
Admiral Bear's Avatar
 
Location: Permanent away mission with the fairies
Re: Star Trek London - All 5 captains to be there!

gazomg wrote: View Post
Admiral Bear wrote: View Post

If you go on the Shamasters forum, half the questions are being answered with "don't know", and if you say it's too expensive or mention Warp 10, your posts get deleted.
since I am relatively new , what is this warp 10 you refer to ?
It was a weekend Star Trek event run (I say run it's loosest form as the event never happened) by Shamasters. It was first advertised in April 2010 to be held in Sept 2010. Diana Muldaur and Jennifer Lien were immediately announced. Between then and early August when the event was cancelled, no further guests were announced, and no further information was given by Shamasters to the people who'd bought tickets, nor were their questions on the Shamasters forum replied to. Shamasters essentially shut up shop for 5 months. When the event was cancelled, what I can only call a torrent of bullshit was fed to ticket holders about why the event was cancelled. Read it. It's classic.

Anyway, the event was moved forward to Sept 2011, and the emotional thumbscrews were put on anyone who wanted a ticket refund. Read in to that what you like. Despite only having sold a handful of tickets, it's widely thought Joiner didn't have the money to give back as he'd used it on his signing events or on paying off his rather large debts. Shamasters is £100K in debt according to its 2011 accounts.

For nearly the following year, no more guest announcements other than Eddie Paskey, and no response to pages of questions and plaintive requests from ticket holders for information on the event. Then I think it was June last year, the plug was pulled on it again. It took so long for Joiner to announce that it was cancelled for a second time, Eddie Paskey was actually having to tell people. It was rumoured that Joiner had been overheard telling people at Klepto a few weeks before that Warp 10 had been cancelled again, but that he wouldn't say so officially because he didn't have any money for refunds until after he'd run LFCC.

Welcome to the world of Shamasters. There but for the grace of God, go I.
Admiral Bear is offline  
Old April 16 2012, 08:04 PM   #38
Admiral Bear
Captain
 
Admiral Bear's Avatar
 
Location: Permanent away mission with the fairies
Re: Star Trek London - All 5 captains to be there!

Sagart wrote: View Post
All 5 Trek Captains have appeared at Showmasters events in the past, as have many other Trek guests so I guess they know what they're getting into. I was speaking to Patrick Stewart's agent after one such show and he said Patrick enjoyed his day. I have attended many SM events over the years and while I have encountered a couple of staff members and crew who could be taught how to deal politely with the public, many others have be nice and helpful. While those on here speaking negatively about them may be doing so out of their own bad experiences, I've always had a good time at their shows and have met many stars because of them from Bill, Patrick, Avery and the rest to the likes of John Hurt, Burt Reynolds, Nathan Fillion and Elijah Wood. I just feel it's always good to have a few different view points to consider.

I'm afraid we don't worship at the altar of Joiner on this board.
Admiral Bear is offline  
Old April 16 2012, 08:06 PM   #39
gazomg
Captain
 
gazomg's Avatar
 
Location: The Peoples Republic of Cork
Re: Star Trek London - All 5 captains to be there!

thanks admiral bear...........

Again this is all new to me, but a couple more questions.
Are shamasters British ? and have no connection with those that run conventions elsewhere like in the USA.
I suspect the set up in the states is run a lot more professionally then ?
gazomg is offline  
Old April 16 2012, 08:11 PM   #40
Sagart
Fleet Captain
 
Location: Northern Ireland
Re: Star Trek London - All 5 captains to be there!

Admiral Bear wrote: View Post
Sagart wrote: View Post
All 5 Trek Captains have appeared at Showmasters events in the past, as have many other Trek guests so I guess they know what they're getting into. I was speaking to Patrick Stewart's agent after one such show and he said Patrick enjoyed his day. I have attended many SM events over the years and while I have encountered a couple of staff members and crew who could be taught how to deal politely with the public, many others have be nice and helpful. While those on here speaking negatively about them may be doing so out of their own bad experiences, I've always had a good time at their shows and have met many stars because of them from Bill, Patrick, Avery and the rest to the likes of John Hurt, Burt Reynolds, Nathan Fillion and Elijah Wood. I just feel it's always good to have a few different view points to consider.

I'm afraid we don't worship at the altar of Joiner on this board.
Neither do I but I don't spew hate filled vitriol about him either as you've done on other sites. I know you don't like acknowledging that others have opinions Bear, but we do. So play nice; this isn't the Red Carpet Forum.
__________________
Carpenter from Nazareth, seeks joiners.
Sagart is offline  
Old April 16 2012, 08:13 PM   #41
Admiral Bear
Captain
 
Admiral Bear's Avatar
 
Location: Permanent away mission with the fairies
Re: Star Trek London - All 5 captains to be there!

Jim Gamma wrote: View Post
Why would CBS not care? It's their reputation on the line, if they get involved in something that turns out to be a scam, not to mention that if it's widely known that CBS sanctioned a sham event, people are less likely to attend other events they're involved in, so they get less money.

In any case - Excel don't have data on events past September on their website but you could always try emailing them to get confirmation it's actually there. These centres all love promoting their events!
It won't be a scam. It's just that Shamasters have a history of pissing on anyone who tries to work with them. I suggest you email the organisers of Fedcon in Germany about their experiences of working with Jason Joiner. Fedcon went public with what had happened and made Joiner look very poor indeed. You won't get any response from him if you ask him. It's not something he or Shamasters like to be reminded about. He also dumped on Universal (yes, that big Hollywood film company) and made up a load of rubbish to try and make them look bad over some sort of Serenity trailer screening at LFCC that he'd been trumpeting and of course never happened.

My worry is that Joiner will bale out of ST London about August because he doesn't like being told what to do, leaving Media 10 in the lurch. Hundreds of tickets sold, no show organisation etc etc.
Admiral Bear is offline  
Old April 16 2012, 08:19 PM   #42
Jim Gamma
Rear Admiral
 
Jim Gamma's Avatar
 
Location: London
Send a message via ICQ to Jim Gamma
Re: Star Trek London - All 5 captains to be there!

Gazing: it's SHOWmasters, not shamasters. I think it looks awfully like the good ursine Admiral just has a bee in his bonnet about them - hence the ridiculous gimmicky name.

Adm Bear, the post you quoted was hardly worshipping at Joiner's altar - indeed the author points out that not all SM staff were that polite.

I'm currently typing on a phone so trying to be brief, but I really think if you are worried you should contact CBS rather than trusting a random person on a forum (I include myself in that description) to tell you whether it's a scam or not. For all we know, the admiral is a disgruntled ex-employee. Would very much like links to REPURABLE sites with info Proving what he's saying but I doubt we'll get that - a quick google search on warp 10 convention gives precious little.
__________________
My LJ
TrekBBS LJ community
(AKA Jim Gamma)
Jim Gamma is offline  
Old April 16 2012, 08:21 PM   #43
Admiral Bear
Captain
 
Admiral Bear's Avatar
 
Location: Permanent away mission with the fairies
Re: Star Trek London - All 5 captains to be there!

Sagart wrote: View Post
Neither do I but I don't spew hate filled vitriol about him either as you've done on other sites. I know you don't like acknowledging that others have opinions Bear, but we do. So play nice; this isn't the Red Carpet Forum.
I have no problem with other people's opinions. I have a problem with people who continually defend liars and cheats, and then stamp on people who tell the truth.

Go back to Red Carpet, or should I call it the Shamasters Forum MkII, run by that two faced little Oirish puppet who's got Joiner's hand stuck up his backside. You do know that Joiner's on the phone to him every 5 minutes to get anything he doesn't like removed? And you think you have freedom of speech on there.

Jog on.
Admiral Bear is offline  
Old April 16 2012, 08:28 PM   #44
Admiral Bear
Captain
 
Admiral Bear's Avatar
 
Location: Permanent away mission with the fairies
Re: Star Trek London - All 5 captains to be there!

Jim Gamma wrote: View Post
For all we know, the admiral is a disgruntled ex-employee. Would very much like links to REPURABLE sites with info Proving what he's saying but I doubt we'll get that - a quick google search on warp 10 convention gives precious little.
Thankfully I'm not an ex-employee, disgruntled or otherwise.

Here's Warp 10 fourm thread.

http://showmastersonline.com/forums/...?showforum=222
Admiral Bear is offline  
Old April 16 2012, 08:31 PM   #45
Jim Gamma
Rear Admiral
 
Jim Gamma's Avatar
 
Location: London
Send a message via ICQ to Jim Gamma
Re: Star Trek London - All 5 captains to be there!

Even so, you'd think there'd be references to it elsewhere…
__________________
My LJ
TrekBBS LJ community
(AKA Jim Gamma)
Jim Gamma is offline  
Closed Thread

Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT +1. The time now is 11:33 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
FireFox 2+ or Internet Explorer 7+ highly recommended.