Star Trek Seekers Cover Art
By: T'Bonz on Aug 27

Fan Film Axanar Kickstarter Success
By: T'Bonz on Aug 27

Two New Starship Collection Ships
By: T'Bonz on Aug 26

Trek Actor Wins Emmy
By: T'Bonz on Aug 26

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Welcome to the Trek BBS! > General Trek Discussion

General Trek Discussion Trek TV and cinema subjects not related to any specific series or movie.

Closed Thread

Old May 29 2012, 01:47 PM   #136
Admiral Bear
Captain

Re: Star Trek London - All 5 captains to be there!

danellis wrote: View Post
That's unfair. Leprosy is a disease, people understand this and, to a degree, allow for it. Being a StarTrek fan is far less acceptable.

dJE
Old May 29 2012, 03:47 PM   #137
AxelFoley
Commander

Admiral Bear wrote: View Post
AxelFoley wrote: View Post
Question for you, Admiral Bear: Are you a member of the official William Shatner forum?
I think I might've signed up there years ago, but it's not a forum or site I've been to for a very long time. Having seen him at close quarters, Shatner's not someone I care for very much.
I see. Reason I asked is because when Shatner was announced for LFCC 2010 there was a member there who tried to cool all the excitement down, warning us about Showmasters lying about guests being signed for their events etc.
Old May 29 2012, 04:10 PM   #138
Admiral Bear
Captain

AxelFoley wrote: View Post
I see. Reason I asked is because when Shatner was announced for LFCC 2010 there was a member there who tried to cool all the excitement down, warning us about Showmasters lying about guests being signed for their events etc.
We all know that's something they do. It's been proven beyond all reasonable doubt at least four times, and strongly suspected on many, many more occasions. I know enough about Joiner not to believe anything he says unless you can verify it independently.

It continues to be disturbing just how many of the "big" guests at every single one of Joiner's events drop like flies the week before the event takes place. This has been happening for years. Just look at Klepto coming up this weekend. Greatest Show in the Galaxy had about 86 guests a few weeks ago, and as far as I know, at least all the big guests, Trek, Torchwood, Doctor Who, Christopher Lambert etc turned up. Rather puts Shamasters to shame.
Old May 29 2012, 06:13 PM   #139
Sagart
Fleet Captain

This thread is like Groundhog Day.
Old May 29 2012, 06:43 PM   #140
Rarewolf
Rear Admiral

Admiral Bear wrote: View Post
It continues to be disturbing just how many of the "big" guests at every single one of Joiner's events drop like flies the week before the event takes place. This has been happening for years. Just look at Klepto coming up this weekend. Greatest Show in the Galaxy had about 86 guests a few weeks ago, and as far as I know, at least all the big guests, Trek, Torchwood, Doctor Who, Christopher Lambert etc turned up. Rather puts Shamasters to shame.
Nope, Daphne Ashbrook pulled out (and the news broke third hand), ruining a perfect Doctor Who TVM group photoshoot, but at least GS were prepared to offer a full refund. Unlike this weekend where a Five Doctors photo just becomes 4 Doctors if one doesn't make it.

Cancellations always happen. The amount of people who are disappointed that their favourite actors find jobs acting where they can surprises me.

However, there's an amended development which you might like to add to your cause of greivinces.

If a guest is moved from one event to another its not a cancellation

'Photoshoot tickets will still be valid for LFCC (you don't need to swap them, simply use the CMK tickets at LFCC). If you are not attending LFCC and would like a refund please return the tickets to (edited) or alternatively bring them to the organisers booth at Collectormania'

Now the thing is Collectomania is a free show (mainly because it used to be in a shopping centre, couldn't police the crowds!) whereas the later is not. So that means if you had paid for a photo ticket you could use at a free event, due to the organisers choice to move them to the next event (rather than next free event) you now have to pay more to use the same ticket at the 2nd event. Or if you you have to pay postage if you can't decide by the time the first event on!

So I dunno, sounds slightly dodgy to me. You are inconvienced, but you have to pay to resolve it.

Anyway, I am paying a flying visit to Collectomania this weekend. I wasn't (got another event in London on the Sunday) but trainfare wise not much more to sidestep to Milton Keynes for a few hours first. Which is odd considering the geography!
Old May 29 2012, 07:56 PM   #141
Admiral Bear
Captain

Sorry, forgot Daphne Ashbrook. I suppose she was one of the bigger-ish guests.

Over at Shamasters, "rescheduled" is the new cancellation. Joiner tried this little stunt the other year with a load of Klepto cancellations moving across to LFCC. If memory serves, most of them were then cancelled properly a week or so before LFCC.

As usual he's desperate not to give refunds. Debit/credit card chargeback is clearly the way to go here for anyone needing a refund regardless of whether they're going to LFCC or not.
Old May 29 2012, 08:06 PM   #142
Sagart
Fleet Captain

Just for a change of pace on here ( and let's face it, it's a long time to October), would anyone like to share their best ST Con experiences?
Old May 29 2012, 10:36 PM   #143
AxelFoley
Commander

Naming it a "Guest reschedule" annoys me a little bit, since they make it sound as if it's just a minor inconvenience, when it's disastrous for so many of us. Not all people can choose to meet the rescheduled guests at LFCC instead of Collectormania.
Old May 31 2012, 05:53 PM   #144
Admiral Bear
Captain

On a slightly related aside, Treble Ace Events, they of the much maligned Greatest Show in the Galaxy, appear to have gone bust according to rumours on Twitter.

The Twitter pages for the event and that of Mark Ambler have also been taken down.

The only remaining question is how much money this unsavoury mob owes to how many people.
Old May 31 2012, 07:10 PM   #145
Rarewolf
Rear Admiral

Not the least surprised, as the saying goes if something is too good to be true, it usually is. As I said most people I know who went had only minor complaints, mainly because they were getting such good deals.

The worst thing is Jason will paint himself the hero even more.
Old May 31 2012, 09:02 PM   #146
Admiral Bear
Captain

Rarewolf wrote: View Post
Not the least surprised, as the saying goes if something is too good to be true, it usually is. As I said most people I know who went had only minor complaints, mainly because they were getting such good deals.

The worst thing is Jason will paint himself the hero even more.
One of the elephant in the room questions for me was always if Ambler was legitimate, why hadn't Joiner spent months trying to put him out of business?

I suspected Joiner either knew or suspected what a few of us had thought for ages.

Ambler was either an incompetent nutjob or a typical conman. History will decide. I had him down as a fraudster from minute one. The evidence was all there.

Last edited by Admiral Bear; May 31 2012 at 09:14 PM.
Old May 31 2012, 09:43 PM   #147
kehlan
Cadet

you should be very careful about making false accusations. As of today, Treble Ace are still registered as active on the companies register. It is also slanderous/libellous to call the organiser a con man.
I was at Treble Ace, they allowed us to run a stall there for Macmillan Cancer support and were a great group to work with. In no way do you have any grounds to accuse them of anything illegal and I strongly suggest you retract that accuation.
Jason Joiner could learn a heck of a lot from their attitude! ITs also noteworthy that he is spreading rumours about them, of course he has NO reason at all to want them to fail, does he? He really loves having competition. His track record speaks for itself. If you choose to believe him then thats your problem.
Old May 31 2012, 10:10 PM   #148
Admiral Bear
Captain

kehlan wrote: View Post
you should be very careful about making false accusations. As of today, Treble Ace are still registered as active on the companies register. It is also slanderous/libellous to call the organiser a con man.
I was at Treble Ace, they allowed us to run a stall there for Macmillan Cancer support and were a great group to work with. In no way do you have any grounds to accuse them of anything illegal and I strongly suggest you retract that accuation.
Erm. .do you have any idea of what happened there on Sunday from the moment the doors opened? I don't think you do. It was called advertising fraud with a big F. I suggest you look on the GSITG Facebook page at some of the comments threatening Treble Ace with Trading Standards (while the page is still there that is.)

Of course Joiner spreads rumours to try and put people out of business, although rumours are preferable to actually poaching other organisers guests after contracts have been signed. The one thing even I have to give him credit for is his ability to actually remain (just about and most of the time) on the right side of being legal.

And it's one the guests from GSITG who tweeted this morning that TA had gone bust. Joiner's nowhere to be seen on this one.

I suggest you be careful about who you defend, especially as you've associated a large national cancer charity with an event, the organiser of which appears to have run off with quite a lot of people's money.
Old May 31 2012, 11:13 PM   #149
kehlan
Cadet

What advertising fraud? would you like to back up your accusations? I was there both days, running a fundraising stall, I didnt see any trouble, nor did anyone else I spoke to on the day. We raised almost £400 for our charity, so please dont try to accuse me of anything.
I am defending no-one, but in this country you are innocent until proven guilty. I do not know if the event was a financial success or not (and as of an hour or so ago, they were still listed as active on the companies register, which is usually pretty up to date.) but I heard nothing about any fraud nor did I hear any visitors to the show say anything bad about it so quite what you are talking about happening on sunday I do not know. ... the general consensus was that there was a mess up with the queuing system on the saturday and I beleive there was a problem with the card machines. That is hardly the same as the fraud you are accusing them of. If any crime has been committed, I assume the police will be involved and will investigate. You should not be judging them on rumours spread by the competition, who incidentally got thrown out of the event for snooping round private areas. The only evidence of fraud that I have seen is your acusations on this forum and I'm just pointing out that you should be very careful about accusing people of criminal activity without evidence to back up your claims.
Edited to add that Ive just been and had a look at their facebook page, apart from the odd comment beginning to appear spreading the rumours theyve gone bust, I cant see anything negative on there, just lots of people sayaing how much they enjoyed it... maybe there is more than one facebook page?
Old June 1 2012, 07:59 PM   #150
kehlan
Cadet

Admiral Bear, Ive been thinking about this since last night and would really like to know what did happen on the sunday, because I was there before the doors opened and was still there after the public had left, and I didnt see what happened, if anything. Nobody I know was aware of any problems either, to the point where its like you and I are talking about completely different events.
I chatted with the general public on the day and heard nothing but good things said, apart from some complaints about queues and cash points the day before. I know all the other charity groups who attended and none of them are aware of any trouble, nor were the dealers I chatted to as I know some of them. At the end of the event, I was chatting with some of the guests, including John Barrowman, Colm Meany and Chase Masterson to name just a few... they all seemed to be in a good mood, if a little tired, and enjoying the event... John Barrowman even contacted us afterwards to ask if he could have the photos we took of him with chase Masterson for his website. (We said yes, of course)
The organisers also seemed to be in a good mood at the end of the event and looking forward to the next one. I dont know if they made enough money, and I dont know if they really have gone bust, although the companies websites indicates not.
there has been nothing on the Treble Ace facebook page about trading standards, just loads of comments about what a good time everyone had. I understand someone tweeted that they went bust. As I said, I dont know if its true, but I'm hoping its wrong. Certainly I have seen no evidence of the fraud you allege took place. I do think you should be very careful about spreading things like that. If they are true then your posts could have an affect on any resulting court case and if false you could be done for slander/libel and will have to live with the fact you falsely smeared someone's good name... and for what? Do you want Treble Ace to fold? The only person who benefits if this is true is Joiner. If this event is a genuine success it is a massive threat to him and he is well aware of this. You have a choice... to wait and see what happens or spread rumours based on gossip.
Closed Thread