New Funko Trek Figure
By: T'Bonz on Jul 21

Saldana As A Role Model

San Diego Comic-Con Trek Fan Guide

Cumberbatch As Turing

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old April 17 2012, 12:32 AM   #16
Admiral James Kirk
Writer

Re: Terminator: Reboot

Takeru wrote: View Post
Admiral James Kirk wrote: View Post
Patrick is his mother's son as far as looks go. I'm about as scared of Patrick as I am any other skinny douche I pass on the street every day.
In other words, he'd be perfect for the part. The Terminator should look like someone who's not dangerous at all, if I were Skynet I would create a model that looks like a 12 year old sad orphan.
If you were Skynet and creating a terminator then that would be the smart thing to do. However if you were a director casting the lead villain in a movie that wouldn't be so smart.

Don't get me wrong a terminator who isn't built like a Sherman tank isn't a bad idea, since they are infiltrator units. However you still have to cast somebody intimidating in the part.

James Cameron originally cast Lance Henricksen. Henricksen with his odd, lined features and creepy eyes would have been extremely intimidating as a Terminator. Patrick Schwarzenegger on the other hand is about as scary as your proverbial 12 year old orphan.

However the OP's suggestion for Kyle Reese, Ryan Gosling would be a better choice for the Terminator role. He's small and plain featured but as his performance in the film All Good Things proved, he can be chilling. Even deadly. He's a perfect choice if you're casting a little guy as a Terminator.
Admiral James Kirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 17 2012, 01:06 AM   #17
Mr. Adventure
Admiral

RoJoHen wrote: View Post
Mr. Adventure wrote: View Post
I'd drop the vaporizer thing personally. And we aren't all on Facebook or am I the only one left?
I'd wager that you are in the minority, or at least in the minority within the age group that a new Terminator movie would be aimed at.
I'll be safe from the Terminator because he won't be able to find a Yellow Pages to find me and my dentures.

I really do need to get on Facebook someday but there's so many creepy stories with it I'm not in a super hurry.
Mr. Adventure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 17 2012, 02:52 AM   #18
Mr. Laser Beam
Fleet Admiral

View Mr. Laser Beam's Twitter Profile

Scrawny71 wrote: View Post
Mr. Laser Beam wrote: View Post
Essentially, every Terminator film was a reboot.

The first film was a closed loop. Subsequent ones, including the TV series, always rebooted it. There's not a consistent one in the bunch.

Kind of like Highlander.
Well, at least the Terminator franchise always had an excuse (or a halfway credible pseudo-excuse).
Being one of the few who prefers the Future Coda ending of T2, I maintain that Skynet's constant use of time travel will eventually result in its own extinction. They will end up removing themselves from history.
Old April 17 2012, 03:21 AM   #19
Caliburn24
Commodore

Terminator: Salvation, and TSCC, despite their flaws, understood that you can't just keep having machines disguised as humans hunting Sarah or John Connor. That gets stale really fast. Rebooting the franchise to retell that original story and make it "sexier" might do all right in terms of box office, but it is creatively a dead end.

The Terminator story I want is the one that picks up after Rise of the Machines where John Connor emerges from his bunker to form the resistance and the Future War begins. Salvation sort of did this, but was poorly executed and just didn't feel "right" somehow.
Caliburn24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 17 2012, 03:22 AM   #20
RoJoHen
Awesome

Caliburn24 wrote: View Post
The Terminator story I want is the one that picks up after Rise of the Machines where John Connor emerges from his bunker to form the resistance and the Future War begins. Salvation sort of did this, but was poorly executed and just didn't feel "right" somehow.
I still haven't seen Salvation, but I agree. T3, though a flawed movie in its own right, had the perfect setup for a sequel.
Old April 17 2012, 03:25 AM   #21
Trekker4747
Fleet Admiral

StarTrek1701 wrote: View Post
Patrick Schwarzennegger as The Terminator.

Patrick is his mother's son as far as looks go. I'm about as scared of Patrick as I am any other skinny douche I pass on the street every day.
He looks about is scary is Edward Cullen.
Old April 17 2012, 03:33 AM   #22
Admiral James Kirk
Writer

Trekker4747 wrote: View Post
Patrick Schwarzennegger as The Terminator.

Thank you!
Old April 17 2012, 05:01 AM   #23
Guy Gardener
Fleet Admiral

You know how when a woman is so beautiful that right at that moment you don't care if she's got herpes and admits it outright as she's taking her clothes off, and getting down on her hands and knees?

That's what Eddy's got, but he eats you until you're dead.

Troy Yingst. My Life as Liz
Guy Gardener is online now   Reply With Quote
Old April 17 2012, 05:53 AM   #24
Mr. Laser Beam
Fleet Admiral

^ Eddy's in the space-time continuum.
Old April 17 2012, 06:43 AM   #25
StarTrek1701
Fleet Captain

Thank you!
Because everyone wants "gritty" and "realiistc", I was aiming for that, plus it'd bring the masses to the theaters. "Oh look, the son of the original Terminator is the new Terminator!". Given that Cameron actually wanted an obscure unscary looking fella to be a Terminator, this would be going back to the roots so to speak. The Terminator shouldn't scare you, he should be non-imposing who could sneak up on you then snap your neck or stab you. Sort of like the T-1000 as depicted by Robert Patrick.
StarTrek1701 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 17 2012, 06:47 AM   #26
Mr. Laser Beam
Fleet Admiral

Didn't the novels explain why the T800 looks like Arnold?
Old April 17 2012, 07:04 AM   #27
StarTrek1701
Fleet Captain

Mr. Laser Beam wrote: View Post
Didn't the novels explain why the T800 looks like Arnold?
Think they did, but most aftermarket novels are like glorified fanfictions at best. I was more comparing it to a real-world scenario thing.
Old April 17 2012, 07:04 AM   #28
Admiral James Kirk
Writer

Thank you!
Because everyone wants "gritty" and "realiistc", I was aiming for that, plus it'd bring the masses to the theaters. "Oh look, the son of the original Terminator is the new Terminator!". Given that Cameron actually wanted an obscure unscary looking fella to be a Terminator, this would be going back to the roots so to speak. The Terminator shouldn't scare you, he should be non-imposing who could sneak up on you then snap your neck or stab you. Sort of like the T-1000 as depicted by Robert Patrick.
In reality a Terminator shouldn't scare you. In a sci-fi action thriller if the Terminator doesn't scare you then you really screwed up.
Old April 17 2012, 07:06 AM   #29
StarTrek1701
Fleet Captain

In reality a Terminator shouldn't scare you. In a sci-fi action thriller if the Terminator doesn't scare you then you really screwed up.
Oh I can certainly understand where you are getting at, but then again Robert Patrick scared the hell outta me too!
Old April 17 2012, 07:41 AM   #30
Admiral James Kirk
Writer

Really? Of the three Terminators I only found Arnold frightening. Though if you take TSCC into account I thought Garret Dillahunt was quite intimidating as Cromartie. But he too was a big guy. What can I say? I'm a big guy and I'm not frightened by smaller men.