Star Trek #35 Preview
By: T'Bonz on Jul 8

New ThinkGeek Trek Apparel
By: T'Bonz on Jul 7

Star Trek Movie Prop Auction

Drexler: NX Engineering Room Construction

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Misc. Star Trek > Future of Trek

Future of Trek Discussion of future Trek projects.

Old July 19 2012, 03:43 AM   #121
Herkimer Jitty
Rear Admiral

Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Herkimer Jitty
Re: Exploring a darker theme in a future star trek series

Let's see

TOS

Kirk - Scarred by massacre on Tarsus IV. Ambivalent relationship w/ father.
Spock - Tense relationship with father. More daddy issues. Terrible television here so far.
McCoy - Shut off his father's life support in an act of mercy, days before a cure for his boneitis is found. Haunts him to this day.

TNG

Picard - Jean Luc, y u no maek wine like all other Picards? Son, I am disappoint
Riker - His dad's a dick
Worf - His dad's dead. And framed as a traitor.
Troi - Dead dad. Sad. Issues.
Data & Lore - I don't even have to explain this. Daddy issues.

I could go on.
Old July 19 2012, 03:50 AM   #122
BillJ
Admiral

View BillJ's Twitter Profile

Herkimer Jitty wrote: View Post
Let's see

TOS

Spock - Tense relationship with father. More daddy issues. Terrible television here so far.
McCoy - Shut off his father's life support in an act of mercy, days before a cure for his boneitis is found. Haunts him to this day.

I could go on.
Actually, Spock was the only one with family issues that we know of in TOS.
Old July 19 2012, 07:39 AM   #123
T'Girl
Vice Admiral

Kirk ... Ambivalent relationship w/ father.
During TOS, we never hear word one about either of Kirk's parents.

McCoy - Shut off his father's life support ...
I thought Sybok made all that up, and pushed it into McCoy mind in order to manipulate him.

I could go on.
(sob)
T'Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 20 2012, 04:47 PM   #124
RandyS
Vice Admiral

View RandyS's Twitter Profile

The Overlord wrote: View Post
RandyS wrote: View Post
The Overlord wrote: View Post

What are you talking about? many of people are saying this is the best era of television ever, at least in terms cable content.

The late 70s didn't quality programing like the Wire, Game of Thrones, Breaking Bad, Mad Men and many other shows found on cable. Television is vastly superior now to what it was in the late 70s.
I disagree. Everything is Daddy issues, and angst, angst, angst.

I'm sick of it.
I think most viewers and TV critics disagree with your assessment. I would say, the Wire is better then TV shows in the 70s.
Well, I can't offer an opinion on that show since I've never seen it, but I will say that one show I've watched recently that offered the kind of storytelling balance I like was Smallville. That had the daddy issues and angst that the kids today think is "deep" while at the same time it knew how to have fun.

Of course, it went overboard on the rock music, but that's another subject entirely.
RandyS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 20 2012, 04:50 PM   #125
RandyS
Vice Admiral

View RandyS's Twitter Profile

Let's see

TOS

I don't remember this. What episode was it?
RandyS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 23 2012, 02:16 AM   #126
The Castellan
Commodore

Send a message via Yahoo to The Castellan

Hell, no!

Every other series made out there, from Star Wars, to Battlestar, to even Doctor Who is dark and gritty already.

Just because we live in post 9-11 world, does not mean I want it crammed down my throat.

I like Trek because it shown man had actually gotten better, actually grew up and petty thing we fight over now is gone.
The meaning of the apocalypse is the opposite of what most people think. It does not mean the end of the world; it means the revealing of hidden secrets and the beginning of a heaven on earth. The apocalypse is starting now.
The Castellan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 23 2012, 03:04 AM   #127
BillJ
Admiral

View BillJ's Twitter Profile

The Castellan wrote: View Post
I like Trek because it shown man had actually gotten better, actually grew up and petty thing we fight over now is gone.
Old July 24 2012, 10:39 PM   #128
Lynx
Rear Admiral

Hell, no!

Every other series made out there, from Star Wars, to Battlestar, to even Doctor Who is dark and gritty already.

Just because we live in post 9-11 world, does not mean I want it crammed down my throat.

I totally agree!

If the SF-series of today are a mirror of the society and times we live in, then I'm really worried.

Welcome to visit the Kes Website at: http://lynx677.byethost12.com
Lynx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 7 2012, 06:53 PM   #129
Hartzilla2007
Vice Admiral

Hell, no!

Star Trek only looks bright and happy because during TOS no one ever thought about the fact that they could die or be horribly tortured or be made a plaything of a godlike alien at any moment of the day and there wasn't a damned thing they could do about it, frankly I'm surprised most of the people in TOS were still sane.

Anything after that was just the trek-verse becoming boring as everyone held on to the whole utopia thing.

Personally I think Star Trek should go back to the days wen the universe was exciting and dangerous and take it a little more seriously when the darker things happen, while also having some fun occasionally.
Hartzilla2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 7 2012, 08:00 PM   #130
Temis the Vorta
Fleet Admiral

Even in supposedly dark DS9 the characters were emotional Gumbys, just like TOS.

Ziyal is cruelly murdered? Thats okay, lets have a Klingon wedding with plenty of hijinx! Odo helped the enemy? whatever, we forgive him and reinstate him as chief of security. Sisko advises the Bajorans against the interests of the Federation? Starfleet doesnt even notice. There's a terrible war going on, and the future of the Federation nags in the balance? That doesn't stop the station's officers from becoming obsessed with a holosuite baseball tournament.
Temis the Vorta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 11 2012, 01:03 PM   #131
EmoBorg
Captain

If we get Dick Cheney to guest star in a future star trek tv series., will that make it dark ?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Z9R57maGvc
EmoBorg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 13 2012, 04:27 PM   #132
Sindatur
Rear Admiral

EmoBorg wrote: View Post
If we get Dick Cheney to guest star in a future star trek tv series., will that make it dark ?
You can't put Darth Cheney in a Star Trek property. Darth Cheney is obviously a Star Wars character

Where are we going? And why are we in this Handbasket?
Sindatur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 14 2012, 09:27 PM   #133
T'Girl
Vice Admiral

EmoBorg wrote: View Post
I would love to see Dick Cheney on Star Trek, some kind of guest spot, or a recurring role (he's retired, he has the time).

Mr Cheney could play the wise and experienced commander in chief of Starfleet, the kind of Admiral who has his people backs, but can send them into harms way to save civilization from the evil that exists in the galaxy.

Maybe his daughter Mary and new daughter-in-law Heather could be the first gay married Captain and First Officer in command of a Starship, really is about time.

But Star Trek: Cheney might have too much wonder and hopefulness for a "DARK TREK."

T'Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 15 2012, 12:28 AM   #134
R. Star
Rear Admiral

I could see Cheney playing an elder Jellico who's supreme dictator of the Federation.
Old August 16 2012, 10:06 AM   #135
The Castellan
Commodore

Send a message via Yahoo to The Castellan

Hartzilla2007 wrote: View Post
Hell, no!

Star Trek only looks bright and happy because during TOS no one ever thought about the fact that they could die or be horribly tortured or be made a plaything of a godlike alien at any moment of the day and there wasn't a damned thing they could do about it, frankly I'm surprised most of the people in TOS were still sane.

Anything after that was just the trek-verse becoming boring as everyone held on to the whole utopia thing.

Personally I think Star Trek should go back to the days wen the universe was exciting and dangerous and take it a little more seriously when the darker things happen, while also having some fun occasionally.
The folks in TOS knew, from the beginning that, as Kirk said, "Risk IS the business." Dwelling on when and how one's going to get killing while serving on board a statship would be a vain occupation. Same with TNG. The first 2 or 3 years of TNG showed how unsafe and dangerous space could be, and everyone on the Enterprise knew that, they just are not the paranoid, panic mongering people you see on stuff like...say, Doctor Who....the English public in the new series panic at anything beyond the mundane, the Daleks would be doing them a favor by wiping them out.

And regarding Utopia, whatever they have going in that world, socially, economically and politcally, sure's a hell of a lot better than what we got, and if given a chance, I'd go there, and flip this world off.
The meaning of the apocalypse is the opposite of what most people think. It does not mean the end of the world; it means the revealing of hidden secrets and the beginning of a heaven on earth. The apocalypse is starting now.
The Castellan is offline   Reply With Quote