Sci-Fried To Release New Album
By: T'Bonz on Jul 28

Star Trek/Planet of the Apes Crossover

Star Trek into Darkness Soundtrack

Horse 1, Shatner 0

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

View Poll Results: What did you think of Cabin in the Woods?
Excellent 44 55.70%
Good 26 32.91%
So-so 7 8.86%
Poor 1 1.27%
Lousy 1 1.27%
Voters: 79. You may not vote on this poll

Old April 17 2012, 06:42 PM   #31
ManOnTheWave
Rear Admiral

Re: Cabin in the Woods - Grading, Discussion, Spoilers

Good, though I was leaning towards So So. It was funny, and I enjoyed the visual references to Friday the 13th, Evil Dead, and Hellraiser, etc. I was hoping it would be even funnier and more clever, but as it is, it's still more interesting than, oh, every horror film I've seen in years.
Old April 21 2012, 02:17 AM   #32
chardman
Vice Admiral

View chardman's Twitter Profile

So, I feel we've finally seen the main branch of Wolfram and Hart, and damned if Josh Lyman wasn't the office manager. Who knew?

Loved the inevitable appearance of the mer-man and Whitford's reaction to it.
Old April 22 2012, 12:06 AM   #33
Trekker4747
Fleet Admiral

Just got back from seeing this a little while ago and I really enjoyed it and was surprised about it as the "men behind the scenes" aspect I did not know about. Kristen Connolly is certainly a looker I'm going to keep my eyes on down the road. The movie was good fun, Hensworth did a good job as well and the movie is certainly filled with Joss Whedon-isms, tropes and sharp writing.

I really liked the slide-puzzle crypt of monsters, especially the Hellraiser-like monster, and I knew the aquaman monster would show up sooner or later.

Good movie, really enjoyed it and, hell, I'd like to see more-done. (And yeah, supposedly, the world ends at the end of this movie but I'm sure that can written-away. )

SPOILERS: I'm not coding it for ease of reading:

Ethros wrote: View Post
So the five archetypes are needed for the "ritual", the jock, whore, scholar, fool, and the virgin. But actually most of them weren't really like that, and thus were manipulated into being so. For example Chris Hemsworth's character was actually a pretty smart guy who started acting jockish, and the same for his girlfriend who wasn't normally that slutty.
My criticism would be that aside from about a 30 seconds scene at the start we don't really see any of them NOT in those roles anyway. The first time we see the Whore she's already gone blonde, the Jock is already throwing a football around in his first scene... so I just thought that aspect could have worked better.
I think the idea was that the subjects only needed to "fill the roles" not actually be those people which is why drugs and other mind-altering stuff was used to manipulate them into the roles. So long as while they're at the cabin and they satisfy the parts the god(s) would be pleased enough to allow the ritual to work.

The movie's meta-ness in that regard was clever especially the one with the virgin being allowed to survive or die so long as she was the last one in the process. What I found odd is that the movie suggested that the marijuana use of "the fool" negated the mind-altering/manipulative drugs they were using. Which... You'd think they would've have thought of that considering this ritual has been done for such a long time and not once they've encountered a pot-smoker?
Old April 22 2012, 02:44 AM   #34
davejames
Vice Admiral

Well today's pot IS considered to be a lot stronger than back in the day. Or so I've heard...
davejames is online now   Reply With Quote
Old April 22 2012, 05:29 AM   #35
Brikar99
Rear Admiral

Trekker4747 wrote: View Post
What I found odd is that the movie suggested that the marijuana use of "the fool" negated the mind-altering/manipulative drugs they were using. Which... You'd think they would've have thought of that considering this ritual has been done for such a long time and not once they've encountered a pot-smoker?
I saw it a second time tonight. Amy Acker's character has a line that I'd missed the first time. She says that her team was supposed to swap out the stoner's pot with their own, but they "missed a batch."
Old April 22 2012, 11:29 AM   #36
Trekker4747
Fleet Admiral

Ah, okay, I missed that. I liked the guy's telescoping bong disguised as a coffee mug.
Old April 22 2012, 10:44 PM   #37
IndyJones
Vice Admiral

DarthTom wrote: View Post
Argus Skyhawk wrote: View Post
So what do you think of Cabin in the Woods?
I liked it myself. And there a lot of unexpected surprises. My ownly criticism is does Bradley Whitford know how to play any other character except for Josh Lyman form the West Wing?
You obviously never watched The Good Guys.
Travel's fatal to prejudice, bigotry, narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things can't be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's life.
IndyJones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 23 2012, 03:08 AM   #38
od0_ital
Admiral

Send a message via Yahoo to od0_ital

Seen it twice now, still awesome the second time, and I noticed more stuff, too.

Will probably see it again, if a friend of mine is free to get to it next week.
Old April 23 2012, 05:46 AM   #39
Brikar99
Rear Admiral

Trekker4747 wrote: View Post
Ah, okay, I missed that. I liked the guy's telescoping bong disguised as a coffee mug.
That thing was incredible. I want it, and not even to use as a bong... just cuz it's so awesome.

The crowd in the theater was howling over it, too. This movie got great responses both times I went.
Old April 23 2012, 05:51 PM   #40
Bob The Skutter
Service Droid

View Bob The Skutter's Twitter Profile

I've now seen it three times. First time it seemed to go down well, second time it seemed my friend and I were the only ones enjoying it and I heard people complaining about how shit it was on leaving. Third time people seemed to love it again. So seems to be a bit of a marmite film.
Old April 23 2012, 08:15 PM   #41
Admiral2
Vice Admiral

IndyJones wrote: View Post
DarthTom wrote: View Post
Argus Skyhawk wrote: View Post
So what do you think of Cabin in the Woods?
I liked it myself. And there a lot of unexpected surprises. My ownly criticism is does Bradley Whitford know how to play any other character except for Josh Lyman form the West Wing?
You obviously never watched The Good Guys.

That actually goes to the point. The Good Guys sucked. ("It's an orange gun!!")

-Tom Clancy
Admiral2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 23 2012, 09:35 PM   #42
Ayelbourne
Fleet Captain

Much better than Hunger Games.

Mainly because CitW had an extremely satisfying payoff, which was totally MIA on THG.

I watched it for the whedonesque and that's exactly what i got.
Ayelbourne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 1 2012, 01:01 PM   #43
Saul
Rear Admiral

Wasn't going to watch it until I heard a lot of talk about it. Kept myself spoiler free and decided to check it out. T'was a fun movie to watch. Not great but it gave me a few good laughs, in particular the Japan ghost since I love J-Horror. A good film for Horror geeks and it makes me want to check out some old school horror films for the hell of it.
Old May 1 2012, 04:17 PM   #44
Derishton
Vice Admiral

Brikar99 wrote: View Post

I saw it a second time tonight. Amy Acker's character has a line that I'd missed the first time. She says that her team was supposed to swap out the stoner's pot with their own, but they "missed a batch."
This is one of a few moments that look like a very subtle insinuation that somebody was sabotaging the ritual at every opportunity: the delayed explosion is another. I found another aspect interesting: as someone says above, the blood in the ritual was not the blood of the victims. The whole ritual reveals the artificiality of religious ceremony, and only at the end does it confirm that the artificiality is not just in the connection between the event and "belief", but in purpose. Jesus doesn't love nor does he want you for a sunbeam. The gods are just infinitely stronger than us. Classic Whedon, in a good way.
Old May 1 2012, 05:41 PM   #45
Ethros
Vice Admiral

Yeah what was the deal with the delayed explosion? They made big deal of declaring they never got the orders through, just wondered was that about?
Ethros is offline   Reply With Quote