USS Vengeance And More Starship Collection Ships
By: T'Bonz on Sep 19

Trek 3 To Being Shooting Next Year
By: T'Bonz on Sep 19

Trek Messenger Bag
By: T'Bonz on Sep 18

Star Trek Live In Concert In Australia
By: T'Bonz on Sep 18

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek TV Series > Voyager

Voyager There's coffee in this forum!

Old June 6 2013, 05:56 AM   #796
teacake
Admiral

Location: Militant Janeway True Path Devotees Compound. With Sehlats.
Re: My first voyage with Voyager

What are you implying about Janeway there?

"Damnit Spock. God damnit!" Kirk ST:V
■ ■ ■
Janeway does Melbourne
teacake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 6 2013, 06:00 AM   #797
Captain Kathryn
Commodore

Location: In Star Trek / Doctor Who fantasy land aka New Jersey
Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Captain Kathryn

teacake wrote: View Post
What are you implying about Janeway there?
I only ever imply good things about Janeway.

She put TrekLit Chakotay into Rubber Tree heaven and there shall be no more angst or crying! If there is, I refuse to read it! lol

Speaking of TrekLit, I just finished Mosaic (I don't know why it took me so long to read it.) I enjoyed it. Now when I re-watch episodes I notice some subtle references to it here and there.
Old June 17 2013, 01:48 AM   #798
Qutluch
Commander

teacake wrote: View Post
How pissed off would the J/C'ers be if the fake J and C actually got it on, waking up in bed next to each other, the whole deal and then it was the fake ones!!! Quite a troll.
That was what I was routing for!
Old June 17 2013, 01:48 AM   #799
Qutluch
Commander

Equinox parts 1 & 2

A thought provoking episode.

Voyager comes across another Star Fleet vessel, the Equinox, a smaller ship more suitable for learning and exploration then long term survival. It turns out that both ships were sent to the Delta quadrant by the Caretakers. While the two ships are working together to there were a lot of clues that something odd was happening with the other crew. One of the equinox crew women hinted to Chakotay that she wanted to stay with them, and the Captain Ransome asked Janeway is she ever broke the Prime Directive. He let her answer first, and it seemed liked he was holding something back when he agreed that he had not broken it either. Also, Ransome's crew called him by his first name. their ship has lost all protocol and decorum. On a more humorous note, BLT? Someone actually got away with calling B'Ellana BLT!? Boyfriend or not, I do not believe it, she would have beat him.

At one point, the two Captains kind of come to heads, but in a very mild way. Janeway tells Ransome that they may need to abandon his ship. He tells her that he will go back with his crew. At this point, Janeway quotes protocol that allows her control of the situation, making her lead Captain. He does not look happy, but acquiesces.

Janeway becomes suspicious and starts an investigation. She finds that Ransome has been mass murdering a species in order to take their bodies and convert them into energy that makes their ship faster. He is mass killing an alien species to get home faster. When Janeway confronts him he cites a protocol that says something like they can do whatever necessary; at all costs to get their crew home. Is he in his rights of the protocol? Are there limits to the protocol?

This brings a major issue to light? If this is indeed a protocol how far can they take it? When is it okay to cross the lines of morality? Surely mass murder cannot be acceptable! The two Captains are on opposite sides of the morality issue. Janeway is very moral, but is she too cautious? (Should she have taken Qs offer)? Where is the line between protecting your crew and maintaining your integrity?

In the second half Janeway is on a wild pursuit of the Equinox. Janeway even begins to lose cite of her morality in order to capture Ransome. Chakotay does his best to keep her in check, but he gets removed from duty. While negotiating with the aliens being killed she even agrees to give Equinox to the aliens to be killed.

Ransome begins to see the error of his ways and he wishes to surrender to Janeway, but his crew puts him in the brig. He overrides them, and helps Janeway beam his crew to Voyager, with the exception of the mutineers and Ransome who stayed behind to get his ship away from Voyager before it blew up.

Janeway reinstates Chakotay, and strips the Equinox crew of all rank and put them to work. Janeway and Chakotay kind of make up. She hints that she went too far.

Favorite part: I love it that Neelix is having a potluck to aid with crew moral. I always tell people that food solves everything! My real favorite part was when the doctor and 7 make up. I like them as a duo. The doc lost his ethical program, and became doctor Hyde. He hurt 7, but she forgave him and suggested new security measures and a tune up to his voice.

I like that there was a second story line that looked at morality issues with the doc when he lost his ethical sub routine. He was programmed to be immoral. Is there an argument that after several years of obeying an immoral Captain that members of his crew were programmed to be immoral? I tend to think not, but I can see the argument being made. After all, Ransome was able to see the error in his actions in the end.

Last edited by Qutluch; June 17 2013 at 03:17 AM.
Qutluch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 17 2013, 09:38 AM   #800
R. Star
Rear Admiral

The funny thing about Equinox is... flash back to Year of Hell, when -her- ship was beat up and they were desperate. She was acting borderline insane at times, acting rashly to the detriment of the ship, threatening to delete the doctor and so forth. Suppose she ran into those space slugs there, would she have hesitated to use them? I don't think so.

Heck, her whole condemning of Ransom and his crew was a case of the pot calling the kettle black. At one point she was basically saying, "I'm going to kill you if you don't betray your captain to me and help me hunt him down and kill him... because he's betrayed our high moral values!" Riiiiiight... even wooden prop Chakotay calls her on how nuts this is and has to stop her from executing the guy... and gets relieved for doing the right thing.
Old June 17 2013, 08:24 PM   #801
Shatnertage
Rear Admiral

View Shatnertage's Twitter Profile

It's not quite Tywin Lannister sending the king of Westeros to bed without his supper, but Janeway sending Chakotay to his room was pretty awesome.

I really like this episode too--like "Tuvix," there's no easy answer here. I like that Janeway's principles have consequences, and that it's not just an episode with an anvilicious Aesop like, "hatred is bad."

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nlOTRxt-dIw
Shatnertage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 18 2013, 01:17 AM   #802
Qutluch
Commander

This is awesome! Best opener ever. This is why I love Star Trek. Also, another reason the Doctor is in the running for my favorite character.

http://video.search.yahoo.com/video/...3A+Voyager+-+T

Last edited by Qutluch; June 18 2013 at 01:47 AM.
Qutluch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 18 2013, 01:25 AM   #803
R. Star
Rear Admiral

Qutluch wrote: View Post
This is awesome! Best opener ever. This is why I love Star Trek. Also, another reason the Doctor is in the running for my favorite character.

http://video.search.yahoo.com/video/...3A+Voyager+-+T

I absolutely
Ah! One of my favorite episodes!
Old June 18 2013, 01:48 AM   #804
Qutluch
Commander

Shatnertage wrote: View Post
It's not quite Tywin Lannister sending the king of Westeros to bed without his supper, but Janeway sending Chakotay to his room was pretty awesome.

I really like this episode too--like "Tuvix," there's no easy answer here. I like that Janeway's principles have consequences, and that it's not just an episode with an anvilicious Aesop like, "hatred is bad."
If Chakotay decided to fight back we may have seen Tywin Lannister on the privy.
Old June 18 2013, 01:49 AM   #805
Shatnertage
Rear Admiral

View Shatnertage's Twitter Profile

Went ahead and watched it, huh?

I love the look on Janeway's face! Even Chakotay looks engaged. Everyone did a great job in that one. My favorite 5 minutes of Trek.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nlOTRxt-dIw
Shatnertage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 18 2013, 04:17 AM   #806
Qutluch
Commander

I love the look on Janeway's face! Even Chakotay looks engaged. Everyone did a great job in that one. My favorite 5 minutes of Trek.
Just the teaser. Couldn't resist. I have been humming the opera all night now. I cannot wait to watch that 5 minutes again!
Old June 18 2013, 04:34 AM   #807
R. Star
Rear Admiral

Qutluch wrote: View Post

Just the teaser. Couldn't resist. I have been humming the opera all night now. I cannot wait to watch that 5 minutes again!
Tinker Tenor Doctor Spy is a great, hilarious episode. It... gets better.
Old June 30 2013, 06:03 PM   #808
Qutluch
Commander

Survival instinct

Seven runs into more ex drones, unfortunately she is responsible for another neural link between the three drones from a time when they were stranded on an inland. The episode kind of revisits Seven's past, and the role she played with the other three. In the end, seven authorizes the doctor to separate their neural link even though they will die within a month.

This was an okay episode. We learn a little about Seven, and Naoimi is as cute as ever. I did like the part where Tuvok seemed disgruntled with the amount of people on the ship.
Old June 30 2013, 06:50 PM   #809
JanewayRulz!
Vice Admiral

I loved it when Naomi is trying to lead Seven through the crowded hallway, and Seven simply raises her voice to say "STAND ASIDE!". Its like Charleton Heston in "The 10 Commandments" all over again.
Old June 30 2013, 09:48 PM   #810
teya
Vice Admiral

"Survival Instinct" is one of my favorite episodes.

I particularly love the scene between Seven and Chakotay--one of Beltran's best in the entire series--where he talks her through "survival vs living." Rather than cram a personal vision of what it means to be human down Seven's throat (as Janeway and the Doctor have a tendency to do), or mock her (as Paris sometimes does) or simply get pissed off at her (Torres), he talks her through the problem, and lets her come to her own decision.

Too bad we didn't see more of that interaction...