Sci-Fried To Release New Album
By: T'Bonz on Jul 28

Star Trek/Planet of the Apes Crossover

Star Trek into Darkness Soundtrack

Horse 1, Shatner 0

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Misc. Star Trek > Trek Gaming

Trek Gaming Program Complete - Enter When Ready.

Old June 16 2014, 12:05 PM   #1
martok2112
Commander

Star Trek games of old...

Sometimes I miss my SNES. Star Trek Starfleet Academy was actually pretty fun on that old console. It even had some hidden scenarios such as Kirk defeating the Kobayashi Maru...and it was taken straight from the novel that had been written years before. One of my old friends and I enjoyed playing the two-player, split screen battle mode. I also enjoyed the ST:TMP photon torpedo sounds (the best sound effect rendered in the game). Phasers sounded more like a low-bitrate version of a gun going off. Romulan plasma torpedoes sounded like the V'ger plasma weapons, but, it was also a low-rate sample that didn't last but a split second.

The PC version of Starfleet Academy is pretty fun as well...and obviously looks light years better than the SNES version. I hadn't really invested a lot of time in that game though. I'm sure I still have it, and I need to see if it will run on my current rigs.

Another game that I still have, but haven't visited in a while is Star Trek Bridge Commander. It had a nice selection of ships, and had MANY mods released for it, especially in the form of ships that didn't make the initial roster, (and even some other sci-fi franchise entries like the Battlestar Galactica, or some stuff from Star Wars) but I haven't worked up the courage to try and figure out how to make a mod work for a PC game.

Elite Force and Elite Force II were also quite fun. I don't think I have my PS2 copy of EF anymore...but somewhere, lying around I have EFII.

So...anyone else have some old faves they'd like to wax nostalgic on?
martok2112 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 16 2014, 03:52 PM   #2
King Daniel Into Darkness
Admiral

Re: Star Trek games of old...

Tobias Richter's unofficial Star Trek game for the Amiga was fantastic fun. I spent many, many, many hours playing that growing up.

Star Wreck on the ZX Spectrum was a text adventure with very primitive graphics which I explored, mapped and played endlessly. Even a decade or so past the publisher's closure, I sent off for the cheat sheet and got it. But, even though I finished the game, I still don't know what (if anything) the drugs do except transport you to another dimension where you can't get back or do anything.
Old June 16 2014, 06:31 PM   #3
Melakon
Vice Admiral

The granddaddy of all Star Trek games must be those early ASCII text games where the universe is an 8x8 grid, and you're clearing each sector of Klingons. Earliest version I came across was written in BASIC in the old Creative Computing magazine in the late 70s or early 80s. Lots of games seemed to borrow the concept, including a version for the Atari 800/400 home computers called Star Raiders.
Old June 16 2014, 07:27 PM   #4
martok2112
Commander

Good memories, folks.

i definitely remember the old, grid based "Star Trek". And I used to love playing Star Raiders!
Old June 16 2014, 10:28 PM   #5
Corran Horn
Vice Admiral

I loved 25th Anniversary and Judgment Rights. A Final Unity was a great one, too, in that same vein.

Starfleet Command I thought was just ok. I liked Birth of the Federation more than most.

Armada was fun, I thought. Away Team looked like fun but it was so repetitive - you should just run around phasering everybody you saw in some levels.

Dominion Wars I didn't like - I thought the controls were confusing. Elite Force and Elite Force II were great Trek takes on the FPS genre.

I have Legacy but it was buggy so I barely played it. One of these days...
Old June 16 2014, 10:49 PM   #6
Melakon
Vice Admiral

martok2112 wrote: View Post
And I used to love playing Star Raiders!
I always had the Star Wars soundtrack album running on the phonograph while playing.
Old June 17 2014, 08:24 AM   #7
Count
Lieutenant

WinTrek for Windows 3.11, and netrek.
Count is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 17 2014, 01:12 PM   #8
martok2112
Commander

Melakon wrote: View Post
martok2112 wrote: View Post
And I used to love playing Star Raiders!
I always had the Star Wars soundtrack album running on the phonograph while playing.
Me too....ha ha ha ha!!!!!
Old June 17 2014, 02:38 PM   #9
Shikarnov
Rear Admiral

I used to love the space fights in the 25th Anniversary game for PC.

Last edited by Shikarnov; June 17 2014 at 02:57 PM.
Shikarnov is online now   Reply With Quote
Old June 17 2014, 04:56 PM   #10
martok2112
Commander

Shikarnov wrote: View Post
Which looked to be the forerunner to how Starfleet Academy would play.
Old June 20 2014, 02:17 PM   #11
Viper78
Lieutenant Commander

Armada 1&2 along with Bridge commander were by far my favourite Star Trek games. I still have them although for some reason Armada 2 refuses to install on my Window's 7 pc.
Old June 21 2014, 04:21 AM   #12
Corran Horn
Vice Admiral

I liked how with my monitor you could turn up the brightness and see cloaked ships.
Old June 21 2014, 04:44 AM   #13
martok2112
Commander

Corran Horn wrote: View Post
I liked how with my monitor you could turn up the brightness and see cloaked ships.
Ha ha ha..wouldn't it be funny if Kirk did that in Star Trek?

-----
The crew of the Enterprise sat tense, each attentive to their tasks as all hell broke loose around them, but, when possible, focused on the main viewer, wondering when General Chang would strike next. His bird of prey was an exception to the rule of "ships cannot fire when cloaked." Chang was doing a terrifying job of tearing the Enterprise apart with his hidden torpedo attacks.

Spock, as always, was deep in thought....searching his logical mind for answers out of perilous situations. Finally, he spoke up.

"The shimmer," he said quietly.

Kirk turned around, looking both hopeful and expectant toward his science officer.

"The shimmer, Captain," Spock repeated. "I remember you told me that you and Mr. Sulu had spotted a cloaked ship on the view screen by its shimmer when you came to rescue me from Genesis."

Kirk turned around, grinning as he looked back at the main viewer. And something else was different at that time, he mused. And then, it just hit him.

"Chekov," he called out, "turn up the brightness on the main viewer!"

----------------------

Old June 21 2014, 08:19 PM   #14
publiusr
Commodore

Perhaps the oldest
http://www.arcade-history.com/?n=sta...detail&id=3943
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Computer_Space

I doo seem to remember line drawings of Klingon and FJ ships in profile that got larger.
publiusr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 21 2014, 10:15 PM   #15
martok2112
Commander

I remember the Sega arcade game of Star Trek where you fought Klingon battlecruisers, and ultimately, Nomad. That was a vector graphics title. There was another Star Trek game, similar to the arcade version released for the old Vectrex stand alone console....it was the first self-contained console that had its own screen and controller...and everything was done in vector graphics.....for those who might not know what vector graphics are/was...think the old arcade game "Asteroids".