Sci-Fried To Release New Album
By: T'Bonz on Jul 28

Star Trek/Planet of the Apes Crossover

Star Trek into Darkness Soundtrack

Horse 1, Shatner 0

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > TV & Media

TV & Media Non-Trek television, movies, books, music, etc.

Old June 17 2012, 04:34 AM   #31
Gil T.Azell
Rear Admiral

Re: RUSH: Clockwork Angels

Judge for your self.
Old June 17 2012, 07:37 AM   #32
Flying Spaghetti Monster
Vice Admiral

That is a fantastic song. It rocks to holy heaven, sure, but it also features a well-written chorus that is sun with conviction that is so unique to Rush's style. It is in the chorus that elevates this song from a fantastic rock song top one that is special.
Old June 18 2012, 12:57 AM   #33
Putting the F-U Back in FUN!

Flying Spaghetti Monster wrote: View Post
That is a fantastic song. It rocks to holy heaven, sure, but it also features a well-written chorus that is sun with conviction that is so unique to Rush's style. It is in the chorus that elevates this song from a fantastic rock song top one that is special.
I love that one.

You can definitely hear a Signals sound there in the breaks.

The title track is awesome too.

In fact, I think there's only 2 misses on the album, and the other ten are very good - some of their best.

“There is a cult of ignorance in the United States...The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge'.” - Isaac Asimov
1001001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 18 2012, 01:39 AM   #34
Flying Spaghetti Monster
Vice Admiral

Halo Effect has grown on me, it's like Resist. Not great, but a welcome ballad. It's the second BU2B that does nothing for me.
Old June 18 2012, 03:16 PM   #35
Starscream2112
Ensign

BU2B2 is just there to move the story along. So I am fine with it.

Last edited by Starscream2112; June 18 2012 at 10:00 PM.
Starscream2112 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 18 2012, 03:53 PM   #36

Yeah, BU2B2 is not even really a song. It's a transition. I just skip it.

The only other song that doesn't do much for me is Wish Them Well.

There is so much to absorb here. I find something new everyday. Today, I'm really enjoying the title track.

Are any of you seeing the tour?
“There is a cult of ignorance in the United States...The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge'.” - Isaac Asimov
Old June 18 2012, 07:48 PM   #37
marillion
Vice Admiral

View marillion's Twitter Profile

I've been out of town and out of touch with wildfires.. I am ashamed to admit I forgot this was coming out so soon... Off to the record store with me!!!
Old June 18 2012, 10:02 PM   #38
Starscream2112
Ensign

1001001 wrote: View Post

I have tickets for the Dallas show.
Starscream2112 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 18 2012, 10:30 PM   #39

marillion wrote: View Post
I've been out of town and out of touch with wildfires.. I am ashamed to admit I forgot this was coming out so soon... Off to the record store with me!!!
Good man. It must have been a tough few weeks for you guys. Let us know what you think.

Starscream2112 wrote: View Post
1001001 wrote: View Post

I have tickets for the Dallas show.
Excellent! Have fun.

Old June 18 2012, 11:45 PM   #40
Flying Spaghetti Monster
Vice Admiral

I happen to like Wish them Well, in the tradition of songs like 'Carve Away the Stone.' It could certainly have a bit more teeth, though.

Carnies is cool, but it doesn't take the carnival motif as far or as well as say Mr. Bungle's first album (think 'Carousel')

The best thing about "The Wreckers' is how close it is in style to the Rush stuff from the mid to late eighties.. people that just want to rock might be intrigued by this song and they might give tunes like "Mission' and "Grand Designs."

The only bad thing about "The Wreckers" is the producer's fault. Lifeson starts playing an awesome solo just after the fade at the end starts. I always find it a shame when Lifeson or other guitarists have an awesome solo at the end that has to fade out (like Dream Theater's "Take the Time") but the consolation is that the solo starts before the producer has his hands on the dials that will face it out. The producer started lowering the volume before Lifeson starts his solo. what a shame.

"Seven Cities of Gold" is an expansive track, but it's so good I almost wish it was nine minutes and not seven.
Old June 19 2012, 12:08 AM   #41

Seven Cities of Gold is awesome.

I like The Wreckers too.

What do you think of The Garden? On a Rush board I frequent, that is actually winning a current poll of favorites off the album.
Old June 19 2012, 12:22 AM   #42
Flying Spaghetti Monster
Vice Admiral

I like "The Garden' a lot. It's very good... though for me it doesn't quite flow as naturally or as brilliantly as similar songs like "Available Light" 9well just so you know, I am a huge Presto fan. If you remember on the rush Tour forum I opened up a whole thread on Anagram and why the lyrics to that were brilliant. it was called Anagram line-by-line) When i hear the Garden in the car it really works, but there are a few times when the lines don't quite flow from the music. still an excellent song, in the tradition of many Rush closers that I like.

Not my favorite. My favorites are "The Anarchists' 'BU2B' and"Seven cities"
Old June 19 2012, 12:33 AM   #43

I like "The Garden' a lot. It's very good... though for me it doesn't quite flow as naturally or as brilliantly as similar songs like "Available Light" 9well just so you know, I am a huge Presto fan. If you remember on the rush Tour forum I opened up a whole thread on Anagram and why the lyrics to that were brilliant. it was called Anagram line-by-line) When i hear the Garden in the car it really works, but there are a few times when the lines don't quite flow from the music. still an excellent song, in the tradition of many Rush closers that I like.

Not my favorite. My favorites are "The Anarchists' 'BU2B' and"Seven cities"
I'm a big Presto fan too. I was very happy when they added the title song to the setlist last tour.

You were on the Rush Tour Forum? Did I know that?

LOL. What a clusterfuck that turned out to be!

When I found out the Admin was deleting my private messages to try and stop "the story" from getting out, that was it for me.

Although I hear it's back up and running again.
Old June 19 2012, 01:14 AM   #44
Flying Spaghetti Monster
Vice Admiral

I tried logging in but couldn't remember my password. Recovering it is a pain. It's easier to break into NORAD than to have a membership there. I was both Malnar and CameraEye
Old June 19 2012, 01:24 AM   #45

I tried logging in but couldn't remember my password. Recovering it is a pain. It's easier to break into NORAD than to have a membership there. I was both Malnar and CameraEye
Yes, I remember Malnar. And I do remember the Anagram thread now. Takes my old brain a minute to catch up.

I don't know if they saved the profiles from the old board or not.

I post on The Rush Forum now. Pretty big and busy. Always something going on.