The Next Generation Season Seven Blu-ray Details
By: T'Bonz on Oct 17

CBS Launches Streaming Service

Yelchin In New Indie Thriller

Saldana In The Book of Life

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Welcome to the Trek BBS! > General Trek Discussion

General Trek Discussion Trek TV and cinema subjects not related to any specific series or movie.

Closed Thread

Old April 14 2012, 02:16 AM   #1
trek_futurist
Lieutenant Commander

An important question for the moderators

I have witness several conversations in which the original participants attempted a high minded, intellectual exchange that was pretty much hijacked by people with the intention of dumbing it down. Instead of warning these individuals you chose to close the threads. Why?

Why must those of us who wish to engage in meaningful conversations suffer because of those individuals who deliberately seek to undermine it? Why does your approach to dealing with the matter favor closing good threads instead of dealing with the assailants in such threads?

It makes no sense to me, unless you favor less intellectual conversation and more of the dumbed down variety?

I'm not saying the above is the case, but when you favor closing decent threads instead of dealing with those who are attacking them, it may leave one suspicious of this approach.
Old April 14 2012, 02:30 AM   #2
Count Zero
Decidedly something

Re: An important question for the moderators

There's usually a reason given for why a thread is closed. If you're unhappy with a mod decision, the way to handle it is by PM first. If the issue can't be resolved that way, you can raise the issue in the "Moderator Actions" subforum (but please read the rules in the description of that forum first).
Warnings are only handed out for disruptive behaviour as a last resort, not arbitrarily because a poster has a different opinion or a different approach to things.

As there are no specific examples in your OP it can only be answered in this general manner. Making vague accusations that go very much into the direction of attacking posters, not the posts, isn't helpful for creating a welcoming, discussion-friendly atmosphere. So, I'm closing this thread. Please use the way I described above instead.