RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 139,650
Members: 24,810
Currently online: 577
Newest member: Damix

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Lounges & General Chat > Miscellaneous

Miscellaneous Discussion of non-Trek topics.

Old July 14 2012, 10:55 PM   #856
Saga
Rear Admiral

Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Saga Send a message via Yahoo to Saga
Re: The Action Figure and Toy Collecting and Discussion Thread!

OdoWanKenobi wrote: View Post
Yeah, absolutely no way I'll be buying it either. I'm just enthused that it exists.

I did see the Marvel Legends, and frankly, they pissed me off. Half the figures in the wave are complete reuse. Mystique is especially bad. Black Widow's torso, Madame Hydra's head. That head was horrible in the first place. Why the heck would they reuse it? Doom is a straight up rerelease of the Ronan wave figure. Deadpool is a repaint/rerelease, too, but that one doesn't bother me as much. Absolutely nobody could find those two-packs when the figure came out. Also, what the hell is up with the Mini BAFs? That flies right in the face of the concept.

On the bright side, though, the rest of the figures really look great. I can't wait for Neo-Classic Iron Man, or the chance to finally own that Deadpool.

I really wish Hasbro would cut it out with the running changes being a whole different character. That makes them very hard to find, and perilous to buy online, which with Hasbro's horrible distribution, is usually the only option.
yeah, i know what you mean. i was thinking that 'new' Doom looked exactly like the one from the FF wave. i'm looking forward to getting Hyperion, Sentry, Red She-Hulk and Dani Moonstar. i'll get classic colors Deadpool if i can find him. the rest...i dunno.
Old July 15 2012, 01:57 AM   #857
OdoWanKenobi
Ring Slinger

Was messing around a bit and made this:

I thought it was cool enough to share. It's the Wal-Mart exclusive Gordon. He's not part of the main waves, but he still comes with a BAF piece in the form of the shattered batsignal cover. Blake will come with the normal cover piece. Awesome idea using this exclusive figure as a way to give us an alternate display piece. Serious props to Mattel for this idea.
Old July 15 2012, 02:12 AM   #858
thestrangequark
Vice Admiral

Hey guys. I don't collect action figures so I know nothing about them. I want to do a craft project for some friends and family for Christmas, and I'll need some Trek figures. Could anyone advise me on buying the figures? I'd like either OS or TNG main character action figures, and possibly ships. But the thing is, I want mini ones -- like around 1/4 the size of a standard figure. I don't mind if they're used or damaged, and I'm looking for something pretty cheap. Anyone have any ideas?

View my art!
thestrangequark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 15 2012, 02:30 AM   #859
OdoWanKenobi
Ring Slinger

Best thing I can think of is Minimates. They're kinda close to Lego figures, but there's plenty of Star Trek ones. Thing is, though, they're intended for collectors, so they aren't necessarily cheap for what you get. They're the only Star Trek figures that size that I know of, though.
Try here and see if any catch your fancy
Old July 15 2012, 02:32 AM   #860
thestrangequark
Vice Admiral

^Those are really cute, but not really what I had in mind and a bit above the price I wanted to spend. I'll keep them in mind though if I can't find anything that suits the project better. Thanks for helping!

View my art!
Old July 15 2012, 02:35 AM   #861
OdoWanKenobi
Ring Slinger

Oh well. To the best of my knowledge, there's never been any kind of Star Trek figure line in the scale you're wanting. I just took a look on Amazon, though, and there's plenty of the minimates at much better prices than the site I linked before. Some of the two packs are only running a few dollars there. That's what I get for just going with the first link.
EDIT: I just remembered, there was a 3 3/4 inch line from the recent movie. Those have gotten more expensive since then, though, despite being dreadful figures.
Old July 15 2012, 02:36 AM   #862
thestrangequark
Vice Admiral

^Oh, that would be much better, and I get free shipping on Amazon. I think I'll keep looking around, and if anyone has more suggestions that'd be great, but those might just do!

View my art!
Old July 15 2012, 02:38 AM   #863
Gep Malakai
Vice Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Gep Malakai Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Gep Malakai

thestrangequark wrote: View Post
But the thing is, I want mini ones -- like around 1/4 the size of a standard figure. I don't mind if they're used or damaged, and I'm looking for something pretty cheap. Anyone have any ideas?
How small do you need them? Trek figures have ranges from 3" to 12" over the years, so there's no real "standard size". The smallest I'm aware of were the old Galoob TNG figures from the first season, which were about 3". They're pretty tiny. Here's a Tasha Yar on ebay, for example.
Old July 15 2012, 02:46 AM   #864
J. Allen
Science Is Magic™

Send a message via ICQ to J. Allen Send a message via AIM to J. Allen Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to J. Allen Send a message via Yahoo to J. Allen

cooleddie74 wrote: View Post
J. Allen wrote: View Post
That child is filled to the brim with malevolence. I can tell.

He does have a "Village of the Damned" vibe going, doesn't he?
It's almost as if he's saying "I shall have my revenge, Sirs!"
Brony Kingdom
J. Allen is online now   Reply With Quote
Old July 15 2012, 02:51 AM   #865
thestrangequark
Vice Admiral

Gep Malakai wrote: View Post
But the thing is, I want mini ones -- like around 1/4 the size of a standard figure. I don't mind if they're used or damaged, and I'm looking for something pretty cheap. Anyone have any ideas?
How small do you need them? Trek figures have ranges from 3" to 12" over the years, so there's no real "standard size". The smallest I'm aware of were the old Galoob TNG figures from the first season, which were about 3". They're pretty tiny. Here's a Tasha Yar on ebay, for example.
See, I know nothing about figures! I just assumed standard size was about three inches, because that's the size of the ones I had when I was a kid. And I think they were from that series! I am actually looking for something more like an inch and a half -- like little army man size. I thought of getting model paint and painting army men to look like Trek characters.

View my art!
Old July 15 2012, 02:57 AM   #866
Gep Malakai
Vice Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Gep Malakai Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Gep Malakai

See, I know nothing about figures! I just assumed standard size was about three inches, because that's the size of the ones I had when I was a kid. And I think they were from that series! I am actually looking for something more like an inch and a half -- like little army man size. I thought of getting model paint and painting army men to look like Trek characters.
Try these: Micro Machines Innerspace Playsets. They're tiny playsets with itty-bitty figures accompanying them. They don't have articulation, but if you're okay with that, they might work. I think they're, like, a half inch tall or something. Pretty tiny.

Then again, for the price you might be better with your painting idea. There's only two characters per playset, so you'd have to buy a bunch to get the whole crew.
Old July 15 2012, 03:07 AM   #867
thestrangequark
Vice Admiral

That is EXACTLY what I want! Thank you!

View my art!
Old July 15 2012, 03:16 AM   #868
Gep Malakai
Vice Admiral

*tips hat*
Old July 15 2012, 05:19 PM   #869
Gotham Central
Vice Admiral

View Gotham Central's Twitter Profile

Ok...I think I'm going to break down, splurge and get me a couple of Hot Toys figures. I'm thinking of getting both of the Captains America on offer: https://www.sideshowtoy.com/?page_id...arnmore_901386

and

http://www.sideshowtoy.com/?page_id=4489&sku=901855

Or I might ditch the Avengers Captain America for a Dark Knight Rises Batman/Bruce Wayne

http://www.sideshowtoy.com/?page_id=4489&sku=901896

My one concern is that I tend to be one of those guys that never takes things out of the box. Therefore the true greatness of these figures might be lost on me.
And sing along in the age of paranoia

Green Day
Gotham Central is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 15 2012, 05:22 PM   #870
cooleddie74
Fleet Admiral

View cooleddie74's Twitter Profile

OdoWanKenobi wrote: View Post
Was messing around a bit and made this:

I thought it was cool enough to share. It's the Wal-Mart exclusive Gordon. He's not part of the main waves, but he still comes with a BAF piece in the form of the shattered batsignal cover. Blake will come with the normal cover piece. Awesome idea using this exclusive figure as a way to give us an alternate display piece. Serious props to Mattel for this idea.
I really like it, man! That's so awesome looking! Good work!

-Captain Jonathan Archer, 2151
cooleddie74 is offline   Reply With Quote