Trek Ice Cube Maker and Shot Glasses
By: T'Bonz on Aug 25

City on the Edge of Forever #3 Preview

TV Alert: Shatner TNG Documentary

Forbes Cast In Powers
By: T'Bonz on Aug 22

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Lounges & General Chat > Miscellaneous

Miscellaneous Discussion of non-Trek topics.

Old June 7 2012, 05:28 PM   #631
cooleddie74
Fleet Admiral

View cooleddie74's Twitter Profile
Re: The Action Figure and Toy Collecting and Discussion Thread!

I missed the Snowspeeder, and prices for it on eBay are just ridiculous. But I do have the Landspeeder from A NEW HOPE in a Vintage Collection box and it is just magnificent.

-Captain Jonathan Archer, 2151
cooleddie74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 8 2012, 02:51 AM   #632
Admiral_Young
Fleet Admiral

View Admiral_Young's Twitter Profile

I just saw that Warner Bros have announced Mattel as a partner for "Man of Steel". I suppose this means they'll be handling the action figure line next year which excites me.

Ignoring the The Last Stand since 2011.
Admiral_Young is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 8 2012, 03:52 AM   #633
OdoWanKenobi
Ring Slinger

Mattel has the DC license. That includes any DC movies. In all likelihood we'll get a kiddie line that is absolutely atrocious, and a Movie Masters line meant for collectors. Seeing as the Dark Knight Rises line has given us Alfred, is it too much to hope that the Man of Steel line might give us Lois Lane, or any of Superman's other non-powered supporting cast?
Old June 8 2012, 05:48 AM   #634
cooleddie74
Fleet Admiral

If the Man of Steel toy line resembles the actual movie---at least from the early vibes I'm getting from it---then it might be pretty bad. But that's another thread altogether and I won't go there.

Anyways, more and very positive news from the STAR WARS toy universe! Toys 'R' Us computers are now listing in their systems a Vintage Collection Millennium Falcon to appear sometime in the near future! Kmart gets an AT-ST Scout Walker in a classic-looking box while TRU appears now to be getting a pair of JEDI-themed vehicles(Endor AT-AT and Speeder Bike) as well as a repackaged Millennium Falcon! Will it be a repack of the best "BMF" to date...the 2007-08 Legacy Collection ship with a plethora of electronic and other goodies that no previous Falcon toy had? Only time will tell, but just imagine how ultra-amazing and fun it would be to see the best Falcon of all time in a retro-looking Vintage Collection box!

Old June 8 2012, 05:54 AM   #635
Admiral_Young
Fleet Admiral

I'm excited for "Man of Steel". A lot of fans are still hesitant because Zack Snyder is directing it, but I've heard good things and that he's scaling back his own approach and going for more traditional filming. I knew that Matty had the DC license but it was nice to hear the confirmation. I wonder if they'll be unveiling their plans at SDCC next month?

I wish I could get excited about Star Wars stuff. I do have an Anakin Skywalker and Ahsoka Tano from "Clone Wars" though. Those are the only ones I've bought in years.

Old June 8 2012, 06:04 AM   #636
cooleddie74
Fleet Admiral

^
I hope you're right about MAN OF STEEL. I sincerely do. It's just that in my particular circle of friends who are fans of Superman and know about the new film there's an almost universal feeling that the movie is going to be unsuccessful and might take too different or radical a new direction. A couple are excited and have no qualms, but after the complete reboot that leaves the Brandon Routh film out in the cold and seeing Superman's new outfit I'm not terribly impressed. But we'll see. It might kick ass and I hope so.

As per the STAR WARS stuff, in some ways I kind of envy you. You've been out of circulation for years so you don't have to put up with the recent problems and controversies within the Hasbro toy lines, which have all been voiced here in this thread ad nauseam. I love collecting the stuff, but right now is the worst time to be a SW toy collector since the modern toy line began in 1995. Things are an unfocused mess at the moment with a lot of product either supremely disappointing or not even making it to store shelves or both. You've saved yourself an ulcer.

Old June 8 2012, 06:14 AM   #637
Admiral_Young
Fleet Admiral

^ Yeah it seems to me...that Hasbro is just pumping out stuff without giving much of a care to the quality or being mindful of the fans needs or wants in their products. Unless I'm missing something, which is possible. That's my take on it though. I wanna get stuff...but it just doesn't impress me enough to invest lol.

Old June 8 2012, 06:32 AM   #638
cooleddie74
Fleet Admiral

When Hasbro takes ten-year-old figures that had problems and flaws when they were NEW and lazily repackages them that's bad enough. But they also take most or even all of the original accessories away from that figure and then have the cojones to charge twice as much!

Take the Movie Heroes(Wave 1) Darth Vader from this past January's Episode I 3-D promotion. A 2002 action figure based on THE EMPIRE STRIKES BACK but with inaccurate body armor that comes from the original film instead. Add to that a terrible plastic cape that pops off the body when you as much breathe on it and it wasn't the best Vader in the world to begin with in spite of its (for the time) really excellent detailing and sculpting.

But the original 2002 figure cost just $4.99 and came with a fun section of the Bespin Cloud City walkway where Vader cuts off Luke's right hand. The 2012 repack takes away everything the original figure had except Vader's lightsaber and is sold for $8.96-$9.99 depending on which chain you shop. That's four to five dollars more for less than half of what you got ten years ago. It's pathetic, but that's just one of the things that's been happening to the Hasbro lines lately. It's as if Hasbro is thinking "Star Wars has no more new movies coming out and the live-action TV show is still several years away...so why really bother with a lot of the merchandise? Just repack and ship anything you find lying around. We'll save loads of money. The toy geeks will buy it all anyways. It's a win-win for us!"

Even the Clone Wars animated line is suffering right now. There are just 19 single carded action figures planned for the entire year. 19. That's it. And 17 have already been released. Even the new STAR WARS television adventures aren't getting proper respect and attention from Hasbro. At times it seems like they've just stopped caring and the fans and collectors have noticed. The company's on a lot of collector shit lists right now. It limits good product and makes too much mediocre product...and can't get a lot of either one to retail.

Old June 8 2012, 07:58 AM   #639
Admiral_Young
Fleet Admiral

I noticed the lack of Clone Wars line...I saw I think an updated Ahsoka on Big Bad a while ago (the one I have is the original figure that came with Rotta the Hutt from the movie) but that's about it.

Old June 8 2012, 08:08 AM   #640
cooleddie74
Fleet Admiral

The new 2012 Ahsoka comes with the underwater Scuba Gear she wore in one or two episodes of the series. She's also very hard to find because the second and third waves of the year are so poorly distributed at the moment.

Here she is:

Old June 8 2012, 08:13 AM   #641
Admiral_Young
Fleet Admiral

That's the new one I saw. I think the pre-order was sold out by the time I got around to it lol. The head sculpt is amazing detail. Too bad the lightsabers are shoddy (I know they're only an accessory, but still )

Old June 8 2012, 08:15 AM   #642
cooleddie74
Fleet Admiral

The lightsabers and accessories are suffering this year. Hasbro doesn't even bother to paint details on some of them. The company's really gotten miserly with some of their cost cutting and it's carried over into the articulation on the new CLONE WARS figures. Most wrist, knee and ankle joints have completely disappeared and a lot of collectors are miffed.

Old June 8 2012, 10:34 AM   #643
cooleddie74
Fleet Admiral

2012 Waves Three, Four and Five of the Vintage Collection...all in one convenient photograph.

All of the first ten have been either moderately or extremely difficult to find in retail stores here in the United States. The five along the bottom row(Wave 5/Grand Moff Tarkin) aren't even officially out yet except for online retailers and specialty shops, but once they hit the big retail chains they'll probably be just as hard to find as Waves 3 and 4, if not moreso. Distribution right now is as bad as it's ever been with few if any signs of improvement and nobody seems to be listening.

If you collect and happen to see any of these fifteen figures in the wild...get them. Because you just never know if you're ever gonna see them again outside of overpriced auctions on eBay. It's a shame figures this great looking and well made have to be so hard to find in the richest and most toy-crazed country in the world, but the market is just very dysfunctional and frustrating right now. A whole lot of folks are simply throwing up their hands and giving up.

Old June 8 2012, 10:40 AM   #644
Shazam!
Rear Admiral

Went a bit crazy and purchased the Search For Luke Battle Pack w/Han Solo, Hoth Rebel and Tauntaun, the Vintage Landspeeder and Luke's Tauntaun.

All for the princely sum of £50.99 thanks to a sale at Firebox.com. Free shipping too.
Shazam! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 8 2012, 10:47 AM   #645
cooleddie74
Fleet Admiral

^
I own all of those except the Search for Luke Skywalker set. My local Target didn't get too many of them in stock. I decided to wait for a holiday markdown sale towards the end of last year, but the ones they had were all gone before the sale went into effect. I've never seen any more of them except on eBay, and they want upwards of $50-$70 for one of them. That's a bit too pricey no matter how neat the packaging and figures are.

Congrats on the score! That's not bad...fifty pounds for all three items isn't too shabby. The Landspeeder alone can go on eBay for as much as $60 all by itself.