Hulu Snaps up Abrams-Produced Drama
By: T'Bonz on Sep 25

Abrams To Receive Award
By: T'Bonz on Sep 24

Trek 3 Casting Rumor Reactions
By: T'Bonz on Sep 24

Trek Comics Sneak Peek
By: T'Bonz on Sep 23

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Lounges & General Chat > Miscellaneous

Miscellaneous Discussion of non-Trek topics.

Old May 22 2012, 04:12 PM   #466
Kira's Mummy
Fleet Admiral

View Kira's Mummy's Twitter Profile
Re: The Action Figure and Toy Collecting and Discussion Thread!

Oh, if I were rich I'd buy all of the Hot Toys Avengers, but I'm not. Maybe I'll ask Mom and Dad for Hawkeye for Christmas.
Old May 22 2012, 06:00 PM   #467
Ghouleddie74
Fleet Admiral

Location: The Halloween System in the Warped Sector of the Demented Quadrant
View Ghouleddie74's Twitter Profile

OdoWan says that you can finance purchases of Hot Toys collectibles. That's the only way some collectors can even afford to get any of them. I suppose you could always look into that option and see if it's something practical and affordable for you? I know if I bite the bullet and buy some Hot Toys that that's the route I'm most likely to take. Buying these things outright and in one fell swoop would be a bit too pricey given the hobby I already have.
Old May 22 2012, 10:20 PM   #468
Rainbow Dash
Osmotic Knowledge

Send a message via ICQ to Rainbow Dash Send a message via AIM to Rainbow Dash Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Rainbow Dash Send a message via Yahoo to Rainbow Dash

Finally got my 2" figures I ordered last week!

I feel they're about as accurate as it gets (though now I wish Hot Toys would make them ). There are some anomalies (Rarity's two tone hair color, Applejack's double ponytail), but the cutie marks look right, the colors look right, they look like the show characters (save for Fluttershy, damn you Hasbro!), and I'm rather pleased with them overall. Some pictures below, for your edification.

For comparison, my McDs versions:

A little closer, though the camera's bad at focusing when I don't use the flash (it was bright enough, trust me):

A little sharper as I pull out a bit:

And these were the other ponies that came in the set:

[back row, L to R] Beachberry, Gardenia Glow, Peachy Pie
[front row, L to R] Sky Wishes, Sweetsong, Coconut Cream

I think they're adorable, and the detail is very well done on these micro figurines.
Brony Kingdom
Rainbow Dash is online now   Reply With Quote
Old May 22 2012, 10:23 PM   #469
Ghouleddie74
Fleet Admiral

Me wanty too!

Congrats, J! That collection is so freaking awesome, and, I might add, super cute and pretty! You must be loving them to death!
Old May 22 2012, 10:28 PM   #470
Rainbow Dash
Osmotic Knowledge

Send a message via ICQ to Rainbow Dash Send a message via AIM to Rainbow Dash Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Rainbow Dash Send a message via Yahoo to Rainbow Dash

cooleddie74 wrote: View Post

Me wanty too!

Congrats, J! That collection is so freaking awesome, and, I might add, super cute and pretty! You must be loving them to death!
I do! They did most righteous justice to my beloved Rainbow Dash.
Out of the new ponies, I think Coconut Cream is my favorite, though I just adore the name "Skywishes".

I will love them, and squeeze them, and name them 'George'.

If you're interested, Toys R Us still has them for $19.99. I don't know how long that will last, since I've seen people selling them for $5 a piece on ebay.
Brony Kingdom
Rainbow Dash is online now   Reply With Quote
Old May 22 2012, 10:32 PM   #471
Ghouleddie74
Fleet Admiral

I'm definitely looking into it! Thanks for the heads up on the special price! $19.99 beats several times that! I hope it's still in effect!
Old May 22 2012, 10:42 PM   #472
OdoWanKenobi
Ring Slinger

cooleddie74 wrote: View Post
OdoWan says that you can finance purchases of Hot Toys collectibles. That's the only way some collectors can even afford to get any of them. I suppose you could always look into that option and see if it's something practical and affordable for you? I know if I bite the bullet and buy some Hot Toys that that's the route I'm most likely to take. Buying these things outright and in one fell swoop would be a bit too pricey given the hobby I already have.
Indeed. Sideshow Collectibles is Hot Toys US distribution partner. On the Sideshow site is the option to pay in installments for almost every item that they offer. You can even choose the number of payments. Just note that if you don't jump on a preorder right away, that you may have to pay in fewer installments, or wait several months longer to get your figure.
Old May 23 2012, 12:05 AM   #473
Chemahkuu
Vice Admiral

Send a message via Yahoo to Chemahkuu

Awesome toys J
Chemahkuu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 23 2012, 12:10 AM   #474
Ghouleddie74
Fleet Admiral

Thanks for the clarifications on the Hot Toys ordering process, OdoWan! Hopefully this will help at least one person in this thread if they are looking into buying their product.

On another note, here's a brand new loose group shot of the three figures in the controversial Bespin Battle Pack in the Hasbro STAR WARS line. I must confess I don't dislike this multipack as much as I used to in part because a few recent photos and reviews of the set(as yet unreleased) make it seem somewhat better than first impressions would lead a collector to believe.

But, as with anything like this, the final judgment will be when I actually get my hands on this set to see for myself. It might still suck. I might end up buying it. Who knows. But its stock is ever so slightly on the rise at the moment.

Luke's sun-yellow hair still looks kinda stupid, but I'm warming a little to the rest of the figure.
Old May 23 2012, 12:41 AM   #475
OdoWanKenobi
Ring Slinger

Nope. Still don't like it. I could almost believe that Boba is a POTF2 figure.
Old May 23 2012, 12:48 AM   #476
Ghouleddie74
Fleet Admiral

The articulation sucks donkey gonads. That much is certain. 5 points each? What is this, 1979?!?

But as the official release of this set gets closer I guess I'm just trying like hell to be as open-minded as possible even though it can be hard. Luke's hair is just a cheesy throwback to 1980 and his articulation matches. Right now Boba is actually my favorite of the three in this Battle Pack, but I'm under no illusions he's anything really special. I guess part of me is just glad it's the first all-new Boba Fett sculpt in four years even if it has less articulation than a Hershey bar. His paint apps and detailing look pretty good for what collectors are considering a second- or even third-rate action figure, but that's about the extent of it.

Am I wrong or wicked for actually preferring that this Boba doesn't have a removable helmet for once? It seems almost every Boba Fett in the past five years or so has had a removable helmet with very, very few exceptions. That said, this figure as well as Vader are gonna have to look pretty good in person for me to bite on this set.
Old May 23 2012, 12:59 AM   #477
OdoWanKenobi
Ring Slinger

I just don't see how they can improve on the Evolutions Boba. That's a perfect figure, and one of my absolute favorite Star Wars figures ever.
Old May 23 2012, 01:03 AM   #478
Ghouleddie74
Fleet Admiral

That's the one that was repacked for the Vintage Collection VC09 Boba Fett in late 2010. I agree. Best Boba Fett ever.

With this Battle Pack one, though, I don't think their aim is to match or top anything they've done previously. I think they just wanted to make a low-articulation, well-painted play toy for kids and adult collectors who aren't necessarily as picky or particular about what they end up buying. For Hasbro it's a win-win I guess. They save plenty of tooling money by giving each figure only five POA and if even some or half of these Battle Packs sell they're still making fat cash.
Old May 23 2012, 11:26 PM   #479
Ghouleddie74
Fleet Admiral

Oh, hey! Breaking news for all the people on the boards who do collect STAR WARS action figures!

The discount chain Tuesday Morning is currently selling mid-to-late 2011 Vintage Collection figures at all their stores for just $4.99 before tax, including the once difficult-to-find "REVENGE OF THE JEDI" variant cardback figures from August of 2011. These figures include the sought-after Slave Leia, Wicket the Ewok as well as the excellent TIE Fighter Pilot army builder, and some customers are writing in to the collector sites reporting that the even harder-to-find Bespin Han Solo/Barriss Offee wave from a little earlier last year has shown up as well, with the Expanded Universe ARC Trooper Commander(Captain Fordo) being found in at least one store.

If you have a Tuesday Morning store in your area, give it a look-see and check out the inventory. For just $4.99 a pop it's hard to turn down excellent Vintage Collection figures even if you already have them.
Old May 24 2012, 12:14 AM   #480
OdoWanKenobi
Ring Slinger

I have never heard of Tuesday Morning, but apparently I have one about an hour away from me. I guess I have to check it out.