Retro Review: Shadows and Symbols
By: Michelle on Sep 27

Meyer: Revitalizing Star Trek
By: T'Bonz on Sep 26

Trek Costumes To Be Auctioned
By: T'Bonz on Sep 25

Hulu Snaps up Abrams-Produced Drama
By: T'Bonz on Sep 25

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Lounges & General Chat > Miscellaneous

Miscellaneous Discussion of non-Trek topics.

Old May 18 2012, 11:20 PM   #436
Captain Craig
Vice Admiral

Re: The Action Figure and Toy Collecting and Discussion Thread!

I haven't contributed to this thread in some time. Got some new Omnibus books in and in doing so filled this bookshelf up with essentially all Marvel product. Thus matching the all Marvel figs on it. Shelf contains a mix of the Hasbro Marvel 3.75", Mighty Muggs, Hero Squad and Monogram figurines. I have the Disney store figurines as well for Avengers but haven't decided what to do with them.

Captain Craig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 18 2012, 11:30 PM   #437
OdoWanKenobi
Ring Slinger

What do you do when you want to read the books?
Old May 18 2012, 11:50 PM   #438
Captain Craig
Vice Admiral

OdoWanKenobi wrote: View Post
What do you do when you want to read the books?
Since they are on stands it's easy enough to move 3-4 to get one out. Those Omnibus editions are so big it takes me awhile to get through one. So, it's not like I'm having to rearrange all the time. You may not be able to tell but about 7 of those Omnibus haven't even had the shrink wrap removed. I'm actually reading an Essential(Werewolf by Night) right now. I keep those on another shelf. I've read all the smaller TPB's.

Since Omnibus editions tend to to out of print I get the ones I want(cause they are on sell 40-50% the first few months at various sites) and worry about reading them later, time permitting.
I got into them late and the Frank Miller Daredevils, Uncanny X-Men vol.1 and FF(silver age) vol2 are all OOP and run about twice retail on ebay. Normal retail can be $75-125USD if your not familiar with them. It's on oversized format that recolors and touches up the originals. Closest comparison is like going VHS to BluRay, especially on the Silver Age and Bronze Age material.
Captain Craig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 19 2012, 01:01 AM   #439
Ghouleddie74
Fleet Admiral

Location: The Halloween System in the Warped Sector of the Demented Quadrant
View Ghouleddie74's Twitter Profile

Great collection of figures, Captain Craig! Some really nice and impressive stuff there...and neatly arranged too!

There are new Twitter photos from Star Wars Weekends(SWW) 2012 down in Orlando, FL hitting the Web...new Disney-themed STAR WARS product is on display featuring Disney characters as well as Muppets as classic STAR WARS characters. Here are three new Muppet action figures...
Scooter as Lando Calrissian, Link Heartthrob in Carbonite and Animal as Boba Fett. I don't collect the Muppet STAR WARS line but these look really, really fun.

Old May 19 2012, 04:06 AM   #440
Kira's Mummy
Fleet Admiral

View Kira's Mummy's Twitter Profile

^OMG, want!
Old May 19 2012, 04:26 AM   #441
Ghouleddie74
Fleet Admiral

They are cute, aren't they? Disney's also put out figures of Dr. Bunsen Honeydew and Beaker as R2-D2 and C-3PO. The Disneyworld folks have cranked out a nice handful of Muppet and Disney cartoon STAR WARS characters in the last few years. As I said I don't collect them and I don't own any, but they've been rather tempting more than once. Being the STAR WARS nut I am it can be very hard to say no to certain collectibles.

Here's a video of the Bunsen and Beaker figures:

And here's Sam the Eagle as Obi-Wan and Gonzo as Darth Vader! Camilla the Chicken is a Stormtrooper.

Old May 19 2012, 04:31 AM   #442
OdoWanKenobi
Ring Slinger

I love Star Wars. I love the Muppets.

Why the heck do I not own any of these?
Old May 19 2012, 04:33 AM   #443
Ghouleddie74
Fleet Admiral

And here's an amusing, very short little video of some of the other figures in the series! Kermit is Luke, Fozzie is Chewbacca, one of the Henson Rats is Yoda and Piggy is Princess Leia.

This stuff does my geeky heart good.

Old May 19 2012, 04:35 AM   #444
OdoWanKenobi
Ring Slinger

That's it. Cost be damned. I must have them! I must have them all!
Old May 19 2012, 04:40 AM   #445
Ghouleddie74
Fleet Admiral

^
Between the Pony obsession and the Muppet STAR WARS stuff the TrekBBS is going to end up bankrupting you. You realize that, don't you? We've contributed to your downfall.

Can't blame you though. These Muppets are things I've deliberately passed on and sort of regretted. I might have to look into picking at least some of these up online. I don't know how many sets there are but there can't be too many floating around.
Old May 19 2012, 04:47 AM   #446
OdoWanKenobi
Ring Slinger

I'm not actually buying any ponies, right now. I have the Mcdonald's ones, and that's it. I'm not going to buy the crappy inaccurate stuff that Hasbro puts out.

By the way, Ponies and Muppet Star Wars are going to bankrupt me? Have you not seen the Hot Toys Avengers I've been posting?
Old May 19 2012, 04:53 AM   #447
Ghouleddie74
Fleet Admiral

By the way, Ponies and Muppet Star Wars are going to bankrupt me? Have you not seen the Hot Toys Avengers I've been posting?
Good point.

Man, isn't being a toy collector both the coolest and the most frustrating hobby there is? There's always something new and cool you have to get and it can cost an arm and a leg...but once you get it you feel so, so much better. When I read stories of people paying seventy or eighty dollars for one Darth Malgus action figure on eBay I cringe and roll my eyes, but who knows...maybe that person can afford to spend close to a Ben Franklin on one action figure and it brings them lots of joy and satisfaction. More power to them. It must be nice to drop four Andrew Jacksons plus shipping on one 4" action figure and not bat an eye.

Great Hot Toys collection, BTW. I'm sure I've already said it, but it bears reiterating. Damn fine stash you've got there. I hope you can score at least a few of the Muppets!
Old May 19 2012, 04:59 AM   #448
OdoWanKenobi
Ring Slinger

I've paid more than that for Hot Toys stuff, but that's a whole different thing than paying that much for a 4" figure. I would never ever ever do that. I have a rule. Anything that was mass market, no matter how difficult to find, I will never pay more than $30 for.
Old May 19 2012, 05:03 AM   #449
Ghouleddie74
Fleet Admiral

I've paid more than that for Hot Toys stuff, but that's a whole different thing than paying that much for a 4" figure. I would never ever ever do that. I have a rule. Anything that was mass market, no matter how difficult to find, I will never pay more than $30 for.
Don't blame you. Now, if it were, say an original 12-Back 1978 Death Squad Commander, Jawa or Han Solo? Yes. An original, still-carded action figure from the late seventies that's in pretty good condition is worth eighty bucks because more often than not you're gonna have a pay a LOT more than that for one of those gems. I've seen 12-Backs in good or even excellent shape go from several hundred all the way up to several thousand dollars. A 12-Back Jawa with a vinyl cape almost always runs at least $2,000-$2,500 and that's on a good and cheap day! At auctions they've gone for much more than that!
Old May 19 2012, 05:06 AM   #450
OdoWanKenobi
Ring Slinger

Well, yeah, obviously vintage Star Wars figures are going to be an exception. I'm not collecting those, though. I like quality. Those are old, outdated, and hold no nostalgic feelings for me since they were all made before I was born. No offense, of course.

Sideshow really does make it a lot easier to afford Hot Toys stuff, though. With their flexpay option, I can pay $50.00 a month instead of dropping the $200 all at once. I'm flexing every single one of these Avengers, because this is actually a collection that is damn important to me. It will take a year at least for all of them to come out, but it will make for one incredibly impressive display. After that, I'm probably done with Hot Toys for a long time. Ok, not true. There's still Star Wars, even if they haven't shown anything beyond Luke. It makes me almost kinda happy that DCUC is dead, Marvel Legends are MIA, and I can't find the Star Wars figures I want for the life of me. It's easier to afford this.