RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 139,703
Members: 24,833
Currently online: 446
Newest member: PlainSimplGarak

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Lounges & General Chat > Miscellaneous

Miscellaneous Discussion of non-Trek topics.

Old February 19 2014, 03:08 AM   #4396
C.E. Evans
Vice Admiral

Re: The Action Figure and Toy Collecting and Discussion Thread!

And meanwhile all we got from Hasbro's Star Trek line was a couple of Kre-O sets...fantastic.
Old February 19 2014, 03:11 AM   #4397
cooleddie74
Fleet Admiral

View cooleddie74's Twitter Profile

I know. It's pitiful. I know Hasbro's been in some dire creative and business straits lately but you'd think they'd enjoy the idea of marketing some first-class action figures and accessories and taking advantage of the Trek fanbase and another smash movie being in theaters.

They've really dropped the ball by ignoring the Trek license. That company makes some fantastic, beloved product when it sets its mind to it.

-Captain Jonathan Archer, 2151
cooleddie74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 19 2014, 03:41 AM   #4398
OdoWanKenobi
Ring Slinger

At least Diamond Select is putting out some pretty decent figures right now. Though they seem to be more focused on well sculpted almost statues than they are articulated figures like in the Art Asylum days.

Which reminds me, nobody noticed that I switched Spocks in the last comic update? I was kinda worried it would stand out too much, but the Art Asylum one just cannot crouch, while the Diamond one has included crouching legs.
Old February 19 2014, 05:22 AM   #4399
Hound of UIster
Rear Admiral

cooleddie74 wrote: View Post
I know. It's pitiful. I know Hasbro's been in some dire creative and business straits lately but you'd think they'd enjoy the idea of marketing some first-class action figures and accessories and taking advantage of the Trek fanbase and another smash movie being in theaters.

They've really dropped the ball by ignoring the Trek license. That company makes some fantastic, beloved product when it sets its mind to it.
Hasbro has been trying to restructure itself into a multimedia company and slowly abandon toy production. It's the reason why they poured so much of their gold into a channel barely anyone watches. Apparently they prefer Hollywood's gold over our money.
Old February 20 2014, 06:39 AM   #4400
cooleddie74
Fleet Admiral

Disney and Lucasfilm have ordered Hasbro to not produce any more Expanded Universe action figures for the time being. When it's finally decided what does and doesn't continue to qualify as EU canon there'll likely be a return to making non-movie and TV show action figures and other merchandise, but as of right now those among us who wanted to see, say, the 2010 Jaina and Jacen Solo figures rereleased or even remade are just going to have to shell out the dough to get them on the secondary market. Even if Jaina and Jacen appear in the Sequel Trilogy they'll get new figures based on the actors who play them, so the ones based on the books and graphic novels are now passé.

Hopefully the video games won't get decanonized and jettisoned because I'd like to see more characters based on TFU and TOR at some point, but we shouldn't get our hopes up. I guess it was a nice run while it lasted. That's showbiz.

Old February 20 2014, 07:01 AM   #4401
Hound of UIster
Rear Admiral

The question of whether the Solo kids will be decanonized is still open. I think the odds are good they will be retconned.
Old February 20 2014, 07:04 AM   #4402
cooleddie74
Fleet Admiral

True. Who knows what they're going to do. Either way it's going to cost someone $60-$100 for an original Jaina Solo on a cardback.

Mint or not.

Old February 20 2014, 07:25 PM   #4403
Gotham Central
Vice Admiral

View Gotham Central's Twitter Profile

Chris3123 wrote: View Post
Admiral_Young wrote: View Post
@cooleddie...I'm not sure as the pic I saw it looked like a prototype model with unfinished paint job, but it could be.
No, you got it right in your first post. It's definitely the A.

ETA: Click on the image to go to the Diamond Select gallery, which also features the Excelsior.

WAIT!!!!

Why is everyone talking about the Enterprise A in this picture....THERE IS A ST:III PHASER THERE!. No one outside of the collectors market has ever made one of those.

MUST HAVE! I hope that there is an ST III Communicator and Tricorder in the future as well.
And sing along in the age of paranoia

Green Day
Gotham Central is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 20 2014, 09:49 PM   #4404
OdoWanKenobi
Ring Slinger

cooleddie74 wrote: View Post
Disney and Lucasfilm have ordered Hasbro to not produce any more Expanded Universe action figures for the time being. When it's finally decided what does and doesn't continue to qualify as EU canon there'll likely be a return to making non-movie and TV show action figures and other merchandise, but as of right now those among us who wanted to see, say, the 2010 Jaina and Jacen Solo figures rereleased or even remade are just going to have to shell out the dough to get them on the secondary market. Even if Jaina and Jacen appear in the Sequel Trilogy they'll get new figures based on the actors who play them, so the ones based on the books and graphic novels are now passé.

Hopefully the video games won't get decanonized and jettisoned because I'd like to see more characters based on TFU and TOR at some point, but we shouldn't get our hopes up. I guess it was a nice run while it lasted. That's showbiz.
Well that's disheartening. I can maybe understand Post-ROTJ stuff, but any other era shouldn't be a problem. At least the silver lining is that in the same announcement, they said there will be a de-emphasis on prequel characters with the Original Trilogy and Rebels taking the priority. I'm out of the 3 3/4" game anyways, and going exclusively to the 6" Black Series for the future anyways. These are the Star Wars figures I've always dreamed of. Now if I could just find a freaking Fett....oh sorry didn't mean to go on about that again.
Old February 21 2014, 01:45 AM   #4405
AstroSmurf
Vice Admiral

You still don't have a Boba Fett? We need to do something about that.

I just received an email telling me that my order of the third wave of the six-inch Black series has finally shipped... two months late. Entertainment Earth sells them in four piece case so they are including duplicate with this wave. I am crossing my fingers that they dump doing Han and go with another Stormtrooper. It won't happen but I can at least wish for it. They will be here on Tuesday.

“Every life is a pile of good things and bad things. The bad things don’t always spoil the good things and make them unimportant.” ~ The Doctor
AstroSmurf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 21 2014, 01:46 AM   #4406
cooleddie74
Fleet Admiral

Finally found the new Mara Jade (at last!) and also picked up the brand new Mission Series 2-packs in the "Lava Vader" packaging. Now the only 3.75" Black Series figure I don't have is Darth Plagueis, but I think I have a lead on one. I might be able to get him for not much more than retail.

Other than that, the pegs and shelves were pretty dull and uneventful. Just a lot of the same-old, same-old.

Old February 21 2014, 02:23 AM   #4407
OdoWanKenobi
Ring Slinger

AstroSmurf wrote: View Post
You still don't have a Boba Fett? We need to do something about that.
Nope. By this point I'm almost convinced he doesn't actually exist, and Hasbro along with the entire collecting community have banded together to play a massive joke on me.
Old February 21 2014, 02:27 AM   #4408
cooleddie74
Fleet Admiral

He's out there, but he's just so in-demand and popular that it takes the dumbest luck and best timing to get one's hands on him (that, or connections). It doesn't help they're not carrying him forward into Wave 3 and have decided to ship more Hans instead, so the secondary market and scalpers are going to continue to commit highway robbery selling copies of him for ridiculous prices.

I hope it changes. I'd be happy for ya if you came in here one day and posted you'd finally found him. Shortpacking this figure and then not shipping him in the next wave assortment was just a bad decision and helps keep the scalpers happy, nobody else.

Old February 21 2014, 02:29 AM   #4409
OdoWanKenobi
Ring Slinger

Well, Hasbro did say they were aware of the difficulty in finding him, and have considered a future case of two Fetts and two Stormtroopers. That would be fantastic!
Old February 21 2014, 02:31 AM   #4410
cooleddie74
Fleet Admiral

Hopefully it'll go beyond consideration and become official. I'd be so stoked! That new Stormtrooper is gonna be beyond popular, even moreso than the Sandtrooper.