Retro Review: Chrysalis
By: Michelle on Oct 18

The Next Generation Season Seven Blu-ray Details
By: T'Bonz on Oct 17

CBS Launches Streaming Service

Yelchin In New Indie Thriller

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Lounges & General Chat > Miscellaneous

Miscellaneous Discussion of non-Trek topics.

Old February 17 2014, 08:36 PM   #4381
OdoWanKenobi
Ring Slinger

Re: The Action Figure and Toy Collecting and Discussion Thread!

Thanks. I'm sure more people on the board than just the ones that frequent this thread would find it interesting. I just haven't been sure if I should go post it in the pic thread too, or something.

And with that, we finally have our final hero introduced. I wouldn't dare add any more. This cast is getting cumbersome as is. That's part of why I decided they had to be split up into two groups.
Old February 17 2014, 08:44 PM   #4382
Ghouleddie74
Fleet Admiral

Location: The Halloween System in the Warped Sector of the Demented Quadrant
View Ghouleddie74's Twitter Profile

Thor was a good choice. Thor or Iron Man. Some Tony Stark sarcasm and hijinks would also have been fun to watch unfold, but I guess since you already introduced Loki into the storyline this makes more sense.
Old February 17 2014, 11:56 PM   #4383
OdoWanKenobi
Ring Slinger

Well, one things that's been essential with character selection for me is that it be conceivable that they have some reason to be on another planet. Iron Man may have joined the Guardians of the Galaxy in the comics, but in the MCU he's still pretty earth bound. Plus, I just don't have enough confidence in my writing skill to do Downey Stark justice.
Old February 18 2014, 03:31 AM   #4384
Undead
Continuity Spackle

Send a message via ICQ to Undead

Gep Malakai wrote: View Post
Unicron wrote: View Post
I kind of wish there was a rear view of Jetfire. I like a lot of the design elements, but it's harder to judge how his jet pack kibble looks from the front given the way it sticks out.

Big ol' gallery here.
Thanks - I actually stumbled on that last night and realized I could have just googled it. I'm definitely interested in the figure, although I think the earlier Generations mold has plenty of strong points by itself. I think it does a nice job blending elements of both the original toy and the animation model, whereas this one seems to lean closer to the original Macross design (not a bad thing by itself). Someone made the comment that they didn't like having a fake canopy on the chest, but by itself that's not a huge turnoff to me.

"If you think you're brave enough to walk the path of honor, then follow me into the dragon's den."

Knight Exemplar
Undead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 18 2014, 07:22 AM   #4385
Admiral_Young
Fleet Admiral

View Admiral_Young's Twitter Profile

Another awesome installment @OdoWan

Diamond Select finally revealed their Enterprise-A!! I've been waiting for this for awhile now, I'll try and post a decent pic if I find one.

Ignoring the The Last Stand since 2011.
Admiral_Young is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 18 2014, 07:28 AM   #4386
Ghouleddie74
Fleet Admiral

The refitted NCC-1701 from the first three movies, I take it?
Old February 18 2014, 07:34 AM   #4387
Gep Malakai
Vice Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Gep Malakai Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Gep Malakai

C.E. Evans wrote: View Post
Pretty much everywhere I've gone that's featured the topic has mentioned an out of court settlement was reached, but that the details of the settlement are private.
http://generalsjoes.com/2013/10/10/h...usive-jetfire/

http://www.tomopop.com/harmony-gold-...ed-32374.phtml

http://www.tfw2005.com/transformers-...lement-178579/

The OOC settlement could be monetary or just a legal agreement between the two parties.
I dunno – that part about a settlement sounds like an assumption being made by those authors. (A possibly accurate assumption, but still.) As TFWiki put it:

TFWiki wrote:
Subsequently, an order was filed on September 23rd, 2013, to dismiss the case with predjudice, implying that Harmony Gold and Hasbro have reached a settlement. Although confirmation of a settlement, much less details, have not been revealed, the fact that the case was dismissed with predjudice means that Harmony Gold cannot sue over the Jetfire issue again. By early October, the set was made available on Hasbro Toy Shop, though the set sold out quickly.
Maybe a settlement is the only way to get a case dismissed with prejudice (for all I know. Which is not much), but it still sounds like guesswork.

I prefer to think the court dismissed it because Harmony Gold is full of crap.

I kind of wish there was a rear view of Jetfire. I like a lot of the design elements, but it's harder to judge how his jet pack kibble looks from the front given the way it sticks out.

Big ol' gallery here.
Thanks - I actually stumbled on that last night and realized I could have just googled it. I'm definitely interested in the figure, although I think the earlier Generations mold has plenty of strong points by itself. I think it does a nice job blending elements of both the original toy and the animation model, whereas this one seems to lean closer to the original Macross design (not a bad thing by itself). Someone made the comment that they didn't like having a fake canopy on the chest, but by itself that's not a huge turnoff to me.
I'm torn myself – I like the look for the figure, but the fact that it's got virtually all the plane parts in the backpack, no electronics, and that the new Leader-class toys are reportedly the same size as the much-smaller Ultra figures from five years ago while still at a Leader-class pricepoint ($45) gives me pause. I'd pay $30 for it in a heartbeat, but not close to $50.
Old February 18 2014, 07:57 AM   #4388
Admiral_Young
Fleet Admiral

View Admiral_Young's Twitter Profile

@cooleddie...I'm not sure as the pic I saw it looked like a prototype model with unfinished paint job, but it could be.

Ignoring the The Last Stand since 2011.
Admiral_Young is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 18 2014, 02:31 PM   #4389
C.E. Evans
Vice Admiral

C.E. Evans wrote: View Post
Pretty much everywhere I've gone that's featured the topic has mentioned an out of court settlement was reached, but that the details of the settlement are private.
http://generalsjoes.com/2013/10/10/h...usive-jetfire/

http://www.tomopop.com/harmony-gold-...ed-32374.phtml

http://www.tfw2005.com/transformers-...lement-178579/

The OOC settlement could be monetary or just a legal agreement between the two parties.
I dunno – that part about a settlement sounds like an assumption being made by those authors. (A possibly accurate assumption, but still.)
It's not really an assumption at all. It's just that the two sides did reach an agreement of some kind, and that's really all a settlement is.
As TFWiki put it:

TFWiki wrote:
Subsequently, an order was filed on September 23rd, 2013, to dismiss the case with predjudice, implying that Harmony Gold and Hasbro have reached a settlement. Although confirmation of a settlement, much less details, have not been revealed, the fact that the case was dismissed with predjudice means that Harmony Gold cannot sue over the Jetfire issue again.
There truly would have to be a OOC settlement by the two parties to have the case dismissed before it really went anywhere. As I actually said earlier, the terms of settlement are private, and it's likely a part of the agreement between the two parties to keep it that way.
Maybe a settlement is the only way to get a case dismissed with prejudice (for all I know. Which is not much), but it still sounds like guesswork.
It's not guesswork at all. Stuff like this isn't all that uncommon for two sides in a legal dispute (be it corporate, small claims, or divorce) to work things out privately between them and then have the case dismissed before it could potentially get ugly.
I prefer to think the court dismissed it because Harmony Gold is full of crap.
It wasn't the court that dismissed it, but rather both Harmony and Hasbro filing a motion together to have it dismissed.
http://www.tomopop.com/photo-m.phtml...32374#prevnext

We'll never really know why they agreed to have it dismissed, but one could make a safe assumption that both decided it wouldn't be in either of their best interests to continue with it or that it wasn't necessary anymore after they came to terms.
Old February 18 2014, 09:50 PM   #4390
OdoWanKenobi
Ring Slinger

NECA has announced that they have done what was once thought impossible: acquiring the rights to Sigourney Weaver's likeness. Yes! They'll be releasing an Alien and Aliens version that we'll see at SDCC. I'm glad the power loader they showed at Toyfair won't have to remain empty!

Also, Funko announced that the Rocketeer will be part of the Legacy line!

Holy crap, I'm in nerd heaven.
Old February 18 2014, 10:08 PM   #4391
Ghouleddie74
Fleet Admiral

I'd love to see Funko do an entire line of characters from the View Askewniverse, not just Jay and Silent Bob. Imagine it: Dante, Randal, Becky, Veronica, Caitlin, Willam Black (both Scott Mosier and Ethan Suplee), Brodie, Elias, Holden McNeil, Banky, Azrael, Rufus....the list goes on and on and on thanks to Kevin Smith's fertile and warped mind.

I doubt they'd ever do more than the "Greatest Hits" and most recognizable characters, but it'd still be pretty sweet to see a Michael Rooker Funko holding a bag of chocolate covered pretzels.
Old February 19 2014, 12:50 AM   #4392
Chris3123
Vice Admiral

Admiral_Young wrote: View Post
@cooleddie...I'm not sure as the pic I saw it looked like a prototype model with unfinished paint job, but it could be.
No, you got it right in your first post. It's definitely the A.

ETA: Click on the image to go to the Diamond Select gallery, which also features the Excelsior.

Chris3123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 19 2014, 12:57 AM   #4393
Ghouleddie74
Fleet Admiral

That Enterprise looks stunning. I might have to pick up a couple of these ships sooner or later. There's a classic TOS Enterprise, I take it? If so and she doesn't cost a fortune she'd be my first purchase.
Old February 19 2014, 01:30 AM   #4394
Chris3123
Vice Admiral

cooleddie74 wrote: View Post
That Enterprise looks stunning. I might have to pick up a couple of these ships sooner or later. There's a classic TOS Enterprise, I take it?
There's 7! In addition to the original release, there has also been variants based on "The Cage", "Where No Man Has Gone Before", "Mirror, Mirror", and the HD remastering, as well as a more expensive cutaway version and a 300 piece limited edition gold version. Art Asylum/Diamond Select just loves to make variants. It's a way to relatively cheaply put out a "new" product. Every other Enterprise except for the C from "Yesterday's Enterprise" has been released, and every one of those except for the A have had more than one version released.

See here for the complete list of ships in their Starship Legends line

I myself have the TWOK Enterprise and the D.

If so and she doesn't cost a fortune she'd be my first purchase.
I did a quick search and found the HD version at Think Geek for only $45. Here's a review of that particular version.
Chris3123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 19 2014, 02:58 AM   #4395
Ghouleddie74
Fleet Admiral

Glorious!