IDW Publishing January Comics
By: T'Bonz on Oct 20

Retro Review: Chrysalis
By: Michelle on Oct 18

The Next Generation Season Seven Blu-ray Details
By: T'Bonz on Oct 17

CBS Launches Streaming Service
By: T'Bonz on Oct 17

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Lounges & General Chat > Miscellaneous

Miscellaneous Discussion of non-Trek topics.

Old February 15 2014, 01:54 AM   #4321
Ghouleddie74
Fleet Admiral

Location: The Halloween System in the Warped Sector of the Demented Quadrant
View Ghouleddie74's Twitter Profile
Re: The Action Figure and Toy Collecting and Discussion Thread!

Coverage of Toy Fair begins tomorrow. I'm so stoked. The collecting sites are going to light up like a forest of Christmas trees and I can't wait for all the feedback.
Old February 15 2014, 03:45 AM   #4322
Hound of UIster
Rear Admiral

First pics of Windblade, the transformer designed from an online fan poll asking what the fans wanted. Apparently the results were a red, female jetformer. Good chance of a Slipstream remold from this toy. Also the first pics of the rumored LEADER class Jetfire. Can't wait for Megatron.

Edit: Apparently the Generations Legends line (Shrapnel/Swerve/Tailgate/Cosmos) was cancelled.
Old February 15 2014, 04:10 AM   #4323
OdoWanKenobi
Ring Slinger

I'm not saying this as a criticism, but Windblade looks to me like something that should be battling the Power Rangers.

Here's a short and sweet Crossover update. Seriously guys, I need a title and am open to suggestions:

Old February 15 2014, 07:53 AM   #4324
Admiral_Young
Fleet Admiral

View Admiral_Young's Twitter Profile

Oh boy...they're not going to like what comes next!

Also @OdoWan Nightwing does indeed looked tweaked/altered. I don't know why. It's different from the first one that was showed, that one is supposed to come out in May, this might be a variant for some reason. Hopefully we'll get an explanation on the weekend.

Ignoring the The Last Stand since 2011.
Admiral_Young is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 15 2014, 07:56 AM   #4325
I Am The Walrus
Rear Admiral

Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to I Am The Walrus Send a message via Yahoo to I Am The Walrus

Hound of UIster wrote: View Post

First pics of Windblade, the transformer designed from an online fan poll asking what the fans wanted. Apparently the results were a red, female jetformer. Good chance of a Slipstream remold from this toy. Also the first pics of the rumored LEADER class Jetfire. Can't wait for Megatron.

Edit: Apparently the Generations Legends line (Shrapnel/Swerve/Tailgate/Cosmos) was cancelled.
man, i can't believe that line was canceled. i was so looking forward to getting Swerve and Cosmos.

as for Windblade...i have no problem with the character. sure, a robot geisha is dumb...but its not the most absurd thing in TF history. i think the toy looks cool.
I Am The Walrus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 15 2014, 09:33 AM   #4326
Chris3123
Vice Admiral

The Back to the Future ReAction figures have been revealed:

I've been waiting forever for BTTF figures, and when we finally get some they're just crappy looking retro-style ones.

ETA: And here's the Buffy and Mal Reynolds figures:

Interestingly it looks more like Kristy Swanson's Buffy than SMG's.

I'm sorry, but that face is the complete opposite of badass.

More Firefly figures and others in the line can be seen here.

Last edited by Chris3123; February 15 2014 at 09:44 AM.
Chris3123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 15 2014, 09:55 AM   #4327
Admiral_Young
Fleet Admiral

View Admiral_Young's Twitter Profile

Wow...those are kind of underwhelming, but I guess since they're waiting for final approval these are prototypes, I hope so because the likenesses aren't there including with the BTTF figures.

Ignoring the The Last Stand since 2011.
Admiral_Young is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 15 2014, 10:48 AM   #4328
Roshi's bone
Vice Admiral

Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Roshi's bone

Am I to understand that Hasbro is going to release Gen 1 Soundwave with the cassettes???

I bought Gen 1 Starscream a couple of years ago and was disappointed they didn't release other Gen 1 Transformers.

Jack Beauregard: "You shine like the door of a whorehouse!"
Nobody: "I like folks to see me."
Roshi's bone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 15 2014, 03:03 PM   #4329
OdoWanKenobi
Ring Slinger

Buffy looks like Anna Nicole Smith.

I really don't get these. Why do people want to pay modern prices for intentionally shitty action figures? These are awful! If you saw a company putting these out unironically, you would be furious! Toy sculpting has come ridiculously far in the decades since figures like this were made. When does pandering to misplaced nostalgia hit its breaking point? How can someone be nostalgic for action figures of shows that didn't exist when action figures were this terrible? It's as if toy companies have realized "Oh, we can make the cheapest, crappiest figures possible, but we'll still sell a bunch of them if we call them retro." I guess at least these are at least new figures, which makes them a step up from Playmates re-releasing the same god-damn twenty-five year old Ninja Turtles figures and charging $14.99 for them.
Old February 15 2014, 03:25 PM   #4330
C.E. Evans
Vice Admiral

OdoWanKenobi wrote: View Post
Buffy looks like Anna Nicole Smith.

I really don't get these. Why do people want to pay modern prices for intentionally shitty action figures? These are awful! If you saw a company putting these out unironically, you would be furious! Toy sculpting has come ridiculously far in the decades since figures like this were made.
I actually think they were better in the decade these figures would have been made (I'm thinking of lines like The Black Hole, Battlestar Galactica, the Gil Gerard Buck Rogers, etc).

The bodies for these new ReAction figures are okay as far as retro goes, but the heads seem a bit too large to me.
Old February 15 2014, 04:04 PM   #4331
Hound of UIster
Rear Admiral

Mutenroshi wrote: View Post
Am I to understand that Hasbro is going to release Gen 1 Soundwave with the cassettes???

I bought Gen 1 Starscream a couple of years ago and was disappointed they didn't release other Gen 1 Transformers.
No the Masterpiece Soundwave is going to be re-released.
Old February 15 2014, 05:49 PM   #4332
Chris3123
Vice Admiral

Bif Bang Pow! is making 3.75" The Big Bang Theory action figures.

link with pics

The image quality isn't too good, but from what I can see the likenesses look OK. We'll get a better look once the Toy Fair starts.
Chris3123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 15 2014, 07:44 PM   #4333
Ghouleddie74
Fleet Admiral

I don't expect much from those retro movie and TV action figures because they're supposed to mimic the limited articulation and sculpting of action figures that were released in the seventies and eighties (and in some cases the nineties), so they don't bother me. For what they are they're fun and nice and I get what the company's doing here. The George McFly has a nice resemblance to Crispin Glover, at least in the eyes and eyebrows.

Had these been in stores when I was about ten or eleven years old I'd probably have gone wild for some of 'em. I know I and at least one other guy on this board wouldn't mind seeing a Jewel Staite figure from Firefly. Even if she's a little plastic train wreck with only a faint resemblance to the real Jewel at least she'd have a figure.
Old February 15 2014, 08:02 PM   #4334
OdoWanKenobi
Ring Slinger

Hasbro just announced deluxe figures for the 6" Black Series! First out of the gate are a Scout Trooper with Speeder Bike and Jabba the Hutt! Rock on!

Also announced for wave four of the 6" figures are Chewbacca, Episode II Clone Trooper, ROTJ Vader (with two piece removable helmet), Jedi Luke (with interchangeable open or closed shirt flap) and a new Sandtrooper variant (probably just different pauldron color, but no pics yet.)
Old February 15 2014, 08:05 PM   #4335
Ghouleddie74
Fleet Admiral

Sweet! I'd actually heard about these being possibilities a few months back thanks to the guys on the collecting sites, but it's great to know they're actually confirmed and not just strong rumors.

They also just confirmed a 6" Black Series Vader with removable helmet (ROTJ), Chewbacca and a Jedi Luke in his black outfit.