Star Trek #35 Preview
By: T'Bonz on Jul 8

New ThinkGeek Trek Apparel
By: T'Bonz on Jul 7

Star Trek Movie Prop Auction

Drexler: NX Engineering Room Construction

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Lounges & General Chat > Miscellaneous

Miscellaneous Discussion of non-Trek topics.

Old November 22 2013, 11:16 PM   #3856
cooleddie74
Fleet Admiral

View cooleddie74's Twitter Profile
Re: The Action Figure and Toy Collecting and Discussion Thread!

It's cardboard? Not even flimsy, cheap plastic? That sucks. That doesn't affect how I feel about the figures themselves because they look amazing, but I was hoping that everything included in the Kirk/Khan set was plastic even if wasn't the highest-quality plastic.

-Captain Jonathan Archer, 2151
cooleddie74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 22 2013, 11:30 PM   #3857
nureintier
Commander

cooleddie74 wrote: View Post
It's cardboard? Not even flimsy, cheap plastic? That sucks. That doesn't affect how I feel about the figures themselves because they look amazing, but I was hoping that everything included in the Kirk/Khan set was plastic even if wasn't the highest-quality plastic.
Yeah, those were my hopes, as well. I was opening it up yesterday (because I open everything) and still hoping what I was seeing were decals or something to put on cheap plastic. But no, the very back wall is just thin crappy cardboard.

Photos I've seen of it elsewhere were VERY misleading, and the back looked like it was 3d. Here it is, though (I put Spock's extra tricorder on Khan so I don't lose it):

The other part of the controls, which Khan is falling down against, are pretty nice as far as these things go (in this price range), and the figures are nice, so I'm still glad I bought it. But I'm considering just removing the cardboard part. It just slides into notches on the back of the plastic bit.

I mean, that is really not a big deal, but I still felt somewhat disappointed and like the cheapness of the cardboard brings down the niceness of the rest of the stuff.

Last edited by nureintier; November 23 2013 at 12:11 AM.
nureintier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 23 2013, 03:02 AM   #3858
cooleddie74
Fleet Admiral

At least it looks like the 1967 engineering consoles and not some loose interpretation of the TOS sets. The original Trek Bridge Playset from the Mego era of the seventies looked almost nothing like the Enterprise bridge, but then a few of the classic alien Mego figures didn't look much like the aliens from the original series, neither.

I like the tricorder Khan's wearing.

Old November 23 2013, 03:13 AM   #3859
nureintier
Commander

Well, I had to do something with the extra tricorder. And now I have all these extra hands and legs, too. ^_^

But yeah, I think my disappointment has to do with the fact that, if you google for this set, there are pictures that look VERY different from that (I know this happens with this sort of thing, but it doesn't stop me from being disappointed). One looks like the back is 3-dimensional, or at the very least, that the image has shadows on the buttons rather than just circles.

But anyway, I'll stop complaining because I do like the figures.
Old November 23 2013, 03:34 AM   #3860
cooleddie74
Fleet Admiral

There've been some Star Wars figure multipacks over the years that give you some tremendous, well-sculpted characters and accessories and even a nice, sturdy plastic platform to stand them on that mimics part of an environment from one of the films, but the backdrop would be artwork or a fuzzy photographic image on pretty thin cardboard stock that you'd have to cut out of the package and slide into a narrow slot along the back of the stand.

Old November 23 2013, 04:44 AM   #3861
OdoWanKenobi
Ring Slinger

^I have one of those. The Force Ghosts pack from way back in POTF2. It annoyed me how shoddy the background is compared to the rest of the set.
Old November 23 2013, 05:02 AM   #3862
cooleddie74
Fleet Admiral

Even the 2003 and 2004 Jedi Council and Geonosian War Room sets had flimsy, clip-out backdrops. The figures, platforms and included accessories were great, but the backdrops weren't much to speak of.

Old November 23 2013, 05:30 AM   #3863
nureintier
Commander

I never bought many SW sets like that, though I have a lot more SW figures than Trek ones.

It's just the contrast between the nice parts and the crappy background that bothers me, yeah.

Still working on adding to my 8"-9" figure collection; this week I have ordered 8" Q, 9" Data, and 8" "City on the Edge of Forever" Spock. (I am trying to get one of every Spock I can find.)

Last edited by nureintier; November 23 2013 at 05:56 AM.
Old November 25 2013, 10:57 PM   #3864
OdoWanKenobi
Ring Slinger

Second to last month of Club Infinite Earths

This month we get an absolutely crucial and iconic villain that I cannot believe it has taken so long to get to. Here's Ra's Al Ghul:

And honestly.....he's a bit of a disappointment. The headsculpt lacks the definition we've seen in other figures from this line, and they've neglected to paint the white streaks at his temples. That's too bad. Such an important character deserved better.

While CIE has one month to go, Club Black Freighter wrapped it up this month with Adrian Veidt, aka Ozymandias:

He looks fantastic. That overlay makes his shoulder articulation worthless, though.

So, here's the complete Watchmen group. There may be a few rough edges in the line, but I'm thrilled to have them all.

It does bother me that Rorschach is the tallest and Doctor Manhattan is the shortest, when that should be switched around.
Old November 25 2013, 11:05 PM   #3865
cooleddie74
Fleet Admiral

Do you know which figure will be the final Club Infinite Earths figure or have they not revealed those details just yet?

Old November 25 2013, 11:07 PM   #3866
OdoWanKenobi
Ring Slinger

Next month's figure is Batzarro, and then that's all she wrote.

They had revealed four figures that were intended for next year's club: 90s Aquaman, Ice, Superboy, and Damian Wayne. Next year's club was cancelled though. Those four figures will be released quarterly on MattyCollector.com. There won't be a club though, so anyone who wants them will have to try their luck on day of sale.
Old November 25 2013, 11:39 PM   #3867
Admiral_Young
Fleet Admiral

View Admiral_Young's Twitter Profile

I ordered Ra's on BTTS. BTTS also has pre-orders now for the War Doctor's Sonic Screwdriver, which according to them looks like it will ship in Jan.

Ignoring the The Last Stand since 2011.
Admiral_Young is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 26 2013, 01:39 AM   #3868
Tom Hendricks
Commodore

View Tom Hendricks's Twitter Profile

I was in Wegman's Supermarket, shopping for Thanksgiving when I stumbled upon these guys. They are 31" tall, I have never seen Action Figures of such stature.

Of course I'm a creationist. I believe man created god.
Tom Hendricks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 26 2013, 02:20 AM   #3869
Unicron
Continuity Spackle

Send a message via ICQ to Unicron

I've seen them at my local TRU, but I'm picky about what I buy. Vader doesn't look too bad though.

Batzarro seems like an odd choice for a final figure.

"My dream is to eat candy and poop emeralds. I'm halfway successful."

Catbert, Evil Director of Human Resources
Unicron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 26 2013, 03:11 AM   #3870
OdoWanKenobi
Ring Slinger

Batzarro wasn't meant to be the last figure. He was revealed before the club for next year failed. Still, many fans are pissed he's being included at all, since there's plenty of far more iconic characters we haven't gotten. The accepted theory seems to be that Batzarro was a figure planned for the cancelled Batman Unlimited retail line, but was pushed into the sub once that got the axe. That's the same thing that happened with Damian.