Sci-Fried To Release New Album
By: T'Bonz on Jul 28

Star Trek/Planet of the Apes Crossover

Star Trek into Darkness Soundtrack

Horse 1, Shatner 0

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Lounges & General Chat > Miscellaneous

Miscellaneous Discussion of non-Trek topics.

Old August 23 2013, 12:47 AM   #3511
C.E. Evans
Vice Admiral

Re: The Action Figure and Toy Collecting and Discussion Thread!

Praetor_Shinzon wrote: View Post
they should bring over Gundam Build Fighters. it looks to be skewed towards younger kids.
Yeah, I do think Gundam Build Fighters is the series that could really bring back a resurgence of the property to the U.S. mainstream (and more importantly to retail store shelves, IMO).
i still think if they put Unicorn on Adult Swim and had some of the toys/models in stores Gundam would bounce back.
That could work if Adult Swim still wasn't so skittish about Gundam and could acquire the show--or any Gundam series--on the cheap.
Old August 23 2013, 02:18 AM   #3512
cooleddie74
Fleet Admiral

View cooleddie74's Twitter Profile

Out of curiosity, has anybody here ordered the Amazon-exclusive Slave I and already received it? There've been many reports of the gorgeous retro Vintage Collection box showing up mashed and bent in all sorts of ways. Requesting Gift Packaging supposedly cuts back on the chances of crushed and damaged product, but Amazon's long had a reputation of shipping damaged Star Wars toy packaging.

-Captain Jonathan Archer, 2151
cooleddie74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 27 2013, 03:30 AM   #3513
Hound of UIster
Rear Admiral

C.E. Evans wrote: View Post
they should bring over Gundam Build Fighters. it looks to be skewed towards younger kids.
Yeah, I do think Gundam Build Fighters is the series that could really bring back a resurgence of the property to the U.S. mainstream (and more importantly to retail store shelves, IMO).
After AGE I don't think you can trust Bandai to do anything right.
Hound of UIster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 27 2013, 04:00 AM   #3514
cooleddie74
Fleet Admiral

I now have all four of the 6” Black Series characters and all eight of the 3.75” figures. The 6” Sandtrooper is by far the greatest of all 12.

Old August 27 2013, 04:17 AM   #3515
OdoWanKenobi
Ring Slinger

Hell yeah. I've been contemplating picking up a second. I'm glad to see that the series is getting pretty easy to find. Every Wal-Mart and Target in the area is stocking them.
Old August 27 2013, 04:23 AM   #3516
cooleddie74
Fleet Admiral

Best 6”: Sandtrooper
Best 3.75”: Arena Padme

Old August 27 2013, 09:34 PM   #3517
Redfern
Commodore

I'm not a member of any "social media" sites like FaceBook, Twitter, etc., so I haven't read the exchanges first hand, but transcripts (which can, admittedly, be misinterpreted) and second hand accounts (which are even less reliable) suggest that the Character Options 1/13th scale Doctor Who line is winding down.

The release of Rory Williams signaled the end of "new series" figures at 5.5 inches. This was known for a while. But now that Ace (from the 7th Doctor's era) has been released and the "Pyramids of Mars: Priory Set" has just reached some US specialty retailers, the only "new" sets related to the "classic" series to be released will be "The Daemons" set with a redressed Brigadier and the Master in ceremonial robes and a "Claws of Axos" that contains a "humanoid" Axon and variants upon Jo Grant and a third version of the Brig'.

Supposedly, mind you "supposedly" after that no new molds will be developed for totally new figures. If the line is not completely halted outright, the most we'll get are repaints.

When Alistar Dewar, the project manager in charge of the DW line, was asked if a 5.5 inch version of Peter Capaldi's Doctor will be made, he stated it looks VERY doubtful. Such a figure, regardless of scale would likely be more than a year off, anyway. We won't see his outfit until December 25th at the earliest, but more likely, the character might not don his final ensemble until the next series starts recording and aired in mid 2014. Then there's the development time to sculpt the prototypes, engineer the joints, design the molds, and so on. It'll probably be the holiday season of '14 before it would be ready, regardless of size.

Naturely, a lot of fans are upset. Several iconic "monsters" never reached production such as the original three eyed Silurians from Jon Pertwee's second serial or the Yeti which featured a few times during Troughton's years. The line had just started releasing "classic" era companions such as Peri, Leela, Jo Grant, the Brig' and now Ace, but in this year of the 50th anniversary, collectors had hoped the first "TARDIS team", Susan, Barbara and Ian would have debuted. Sarah Jane seemed an obvious choice as well as Jamie the Highlander. Now, it looks like they'll never reach production.

Am I bitter? disappointed a bit, naturally, but not bitter. It's a near miracle we got ALL the existing Doctors. Dewar had hoped the "classics" could have been sold in the "high street" shops (major chain businesses) but shortly after the initial wave debuted which contained Doctors 4, 5 and 6 as well as some assorted "monsters", Woolworths, the biggest client, went bankrupt and closed all its stores. The "classics" would have "died", but deals were struck with Forbidden Planet in the UK and Underground Toys in the US to commission additional waves and distribute them to the specialty shops. As a result, we eventually got a window box collection of all 11 Doctors, William Hartnell through Matt Smith. Once that set reached the stores, everything since then has been gravy. In contrast, DaPol released a McCoy, a Baker (without his iconic scarf) and a Pertwee before the line folded. Had that deal not been negotiated with UT and FP, we would have only gotten Tom, Peter and Colin. So in that regard, I'm very grateful for what we did get.

Forgive my rambling. The core of my post is that the 13th scale line is definitely slowing. It's not officially cancelled, but Character Options will no longer be devoting the kind of resources as it used to do. When it can no longer maintain any profit margin from repaints and repackaging of existing figures, it will likely end.

I know the focus of this thread is aimed towards Star Wars figures, but I suspect a few DW collectors skim it every so often.

Sincerely,

Bill

Freighter Tails: the Misadventures of Mzzkiti
Redfern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 27 2013, 11:20 PM   #3518
OdoWanKenobi
Ring Slinger

That's a shame. I have the 11 Doctors set, and I quite like it. Too bad I'll never be able to add Capaldi to that lineup.

Also, this thread is in no way primarily aimed towards Star Wars. I just happens that the most prolific posters in it happen to collect Star Wars. I like to post about my DC stuff all the time, along with any other collectibles I acquire. We welcome any and all collectors of any lines here. It's always fun to see stuff that I don't collect, or don't even know about.
Old August 28 2013, 01:06 AM   #3519
Redfern
Commodore

Great to know you have the 11 Doctors Set. So far, it has been the only way one could get the 8th Doctor, Paul McGann. Fortunately, that figure will be re-released (hopefully soon) as part of a Doctor/Dalek 2-pack (as well as the other Doctors). Each Doctor is paired with a Dalek particular to that specific Doctor's era. I bet you're wondering, "But we never saw any Daleks cross paths with McGann in his single outing." In the case of the 8Th, they will draw upon one of the comic adventures published within the Doctor Who Magazine, a colony of Daleks founded by ones imbued with the "human factor" gained during "Evil of the Daleks". As such, this McGann figure will have a paint scheme to match the comic art.

Plus, fans in the US will finally get a "Special Weapons" Dalek which had been previously exclusive only to Forbidden Planet in the UK. This version will have a sound chip. No doubt it will be that resounding blast and boom since it didn't talk, but there are rumors that the insane giggles of Dalek Caan may be added as an "Easter egg" since the novelization suggested these gunner Daleks went mad from the radiation of their weapons. Again, that's just rumor at the moment, but I like the idea.

But these examples simply illustrate the current game plan, existing figures merely tweaked and released again.

Sincerely,

Bill

Old August 28 2013, 01:13 AM   #3520
OdoWanKenobi
Ring Slinger

How do make a Dalek with a soundchip and not have it say "EXTERMINATE"?
Old August 28 2013, 01:31 AM   #3521
Saga
Rear Admiral

Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Saga Send a message via Yahoo to Saga

Redfern wrote: View Post
I know the focus of this thread is aimed towards Star Wars figures, but I suspect a few DW collectors skim it every so often.
Sincerely,

Bill
heh, sometimes i do think this should be called 'the OCD Star Wars collector thread'.
Saga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 28 2013, 01:58 AM   #3522
Redfern
Commodore

That does seem bizarre, doesn't it?

Who knows, maybe they'll encode an "Exterminate!" anyway, even though we as the audience never witnessed the SWD talk on camera. Personally, it won't bother me either way. I just want that distinctive "casing" to add to my collection.

Actually, my favorites outside the Doctors themselves and the original "Flight Action" TARDIS with the illuminated windows and signs, is Davros. I figured I would have to "settle" for just the Julian Bleach version from "The Stolen Earth". So I was thrilled when CO announced the release of a Terry Molloy "Resurrection..." version. Because I knew to recoup the development costs a Michael Wisher "Genesis..." variant would eventually be announced, too. What I did NOT expect was the David Gooderson "Destiny..." version (a deeper "wash' to the face details) and another Molloy with a shot off hand "Revelation..." tweak. That irked some fans, but I was in hog heaven! Later, we also got Davros in the Emperor casing from 'Remembrance...". The only one CO "skipped" was the Great Healer "decoy". Since that would have required a whole "desk" arrangement that couldn't be reused for something else (unless they just "made up" something), I can understand why CO didn't bother with that one.

Oh, I partially take that back. One other item that blew me away was the 18 inch tall "voice command" Dalek! That is the next best thing to owning a life sized prop! Here's an irony. Remember how the science elite praised Davros for having perfected "voice control" of his travel machine in "Genesis...", a process that seemingly only he could design? Yet, here's a "toy" that responds much the same way!

Sincerely,

Bill

Old August 28 2013, 03:30 AM   #3523
cooleddie74
Fleet Admiral

Sincerely,

Bill
heh, sometimes i do think this should be called 'the OCD Star Wars collector thread'.
Hey, now. I resemble that remark.

Old August 28 2013, 03:34 AM   #3524
Saga
Rear Admiral

Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Saga Send a message via Yahoo to Saga

cooleddie74 wrote: View Post
Sincerely,

Bill
Hey, now. I resemble that remark.
Saga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 28 2013, 05:51 AM   #3525
OdoWanKenobi
Ring Slinger

Yeesh. Part of me is glad that DC Universe is now dead. It means I can leave the freaking collecting community for it. It is just toxic. Everyone throwing blame at everyone else, and saying that the sub failed because they didn't make the specific figures on their wishlist, and that Mattel are a bunch of jerks for running a business and not going ahead with a line when there isn't a minimum amount of interest.