IDW Publishing January Comics
By: T'Bonz on Oct 20

Retro Review: Chrysalis
By: Michelle on Oct 18

The Next Generation Season Seven Blu-ray Details
By: T'Bonz on Oct 17

CBS Launches Streaming Service
By: T'Bonz on Oct 17

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Lounges & General Chat > Miscellaneous

Miscellaneous Discussion of non-Trek topics.

Old April 24 2012, 02:24 AM   #211
OdoWanKenobi
Ring Slinger

Re: The Action Figure and Toy Collecting and Discussion Thread!

W...w....why?

Why even freaking bother? I already have a perfect ESB Boba, Luke, and Vader. Why bother making immeasurably worse versions? Those almost look like they would be right at home in POTF2.
Old April 24 2012, 02:33 AM   #212
C.E. Evans
Vice Admiral

^^^
Looks like they were trying to do something that harkened back to the Kenner days, but didn't go all the way back there.

I actually have (and probably always will have) a soft spot for the Kenner era. Sure, they were geared more for rough and tumble play than for anything else, but they were meant for kids back then. Lots of articulation and character likeness wasn't a important as them being able to fit inside any vehicle or inside a kid's hand.
Old April 24 2012, 02:44 AM   #213
Ghouleddie74
Fleet Admiral

Location: The Halloween System in the Warped Sector of the Demented Quadrant
View Ghouleddie74's Twitter Profile

There are an abundance of theories in the collecting community that this Battle Pack and---to a less obvious and glaring extent--- the Duel on Naboo Pack I posted a pic of earlier are aimed more at kids and less demanding and picky collectors. Hasbro has been cutting back on articulation throughout virtually the entire line outside the premium Vintage Collection and this set is just the most glaring and obnoxious example of Hasbro's shortcuts in tooling and sculpting in a down market. The Luke is just a complete mess. In 1995 or 1996 that would have been a figure that hit stratospheric heights of popularity because nobody would have ever seen a 3-3/4" Luke Skywalker with that close of a resemblance to Mark Hamill, even if the hair was the completely wrong color and hearkened back to the more cartoony styles of the classic Vintage era(1978-85). But in 2012 that sun-yellow hair and only five points of articulation aren't going to fly with most people and I foresee this Battle Pack(and perhaps even the Naboo one, even though it is exponentially superior to this one in most respects) rotting on shelves until it's marked down to $5 or $6. Maybe some kids who aren't familiar with the progression and evolution of the modern line might go for these throwback clunkers just to have figures of famous, classic characters to play with, but most adults won't bite unless they can get it for dirt cheap or they just absolutely have to have one of everything.

Here's a better look at the Luke from this Battle Pack. I'm not impressed. Not in the least. There are too many things wrong with this figure to even bother reciting right now. I think it speaks for itself.

Last edited by Ghouleddie74; April 24 2012 at 02:59 AM.
Ghouleddie74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 24 2012, 03:30 AM   #214
C.E. Evans
Vice Admiral

I think it looks cool. Kinda retro, kinda not.
Old April 24 2012, 03:53 AM   #215
Ghouleddie74
Fleet Admiral

The face is okay...as I said if this were 1995 or 1996 people would be going ape for the facial likeness. Once you get past the face, the rest of him...meh. Let's just say compared to any of the Vintage Collection Lukes released since the fall of 2010 that this thing is a definite time machine throwback to an earlier epoch in toymaking. Even compared to practically any of the Lukes made and released since at least 2006's The Saga Collection this one is a real clunker. Five points of articulation is even less than the 1995 Luke Skywalker with the broad, muscular shoulders and beefy, steroid-looking body...this one even lacks a waist joint! Just neck, shoulder and hip joints and that's all she wrote. Poseability is close to nil. The message boards on the collector sites are very, very disillusioned about this Luke and most of the other figures in the Bespin and Naboo Battle Packs. For every one positive comment you see, oh, eight or nine negative ones...the noticeable regression in articulation and realism isn't going over well at all.
Old April 24 2012, 08:42 PM   #216
captcalhoun
Admiral

Hasbro's cutting articulation on the Joes for the Retaliation line too, particularly vehicle drivers where (in a pretty true comment) they say poseability's not such a big deal since the figure sits in the vehicle most of the time.

of course, they could simply tool a new head (or two) and slap them on redeco'd bodies of pre-existing figures or pre-existing parts and frankenstein new figures together, like they've done before.

makes me so glad i only collect ARAH stuff from the good old days, all i have to deal with is finding stuff in good condition and cheap on fleabay.
captcalhoun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 24 2012, 10:26 PM   #217
OdoWanKenobi
Ring Slinger

If they start cutting articulation in Marvel Legends, there's going to the be people marching with pitchforks. The articulation is one of the biggest selling points of the line.
Old April 24 2012, 11:21 PM   #218
Undead
Continuity Spackle

Send a message via ICQ to Undead

cooleddie74 wrote: View Post

Is that essentially a whole lightsaber colored blue and mounted on Luke's hilt? Cause that's sort of what that bulge looks like.

"If you think you're brave enough to walk the path of honor, then follow me into the dragon's den."

Knight Exemplar
Undead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 25 2012, 12:43 AM   #219
Ghouleddie74
Fleet Admiral

^
Frankly, I would not be surprised in the least if the cost and corner-cutting at the Big H led to that kind of thing happening. We're already seeing one character's accessories being shamelessly recycled with another character even if it has no business or place being with that figure. Gluing one unpainted lightsaber to part of another one hasn't happened before...maybe it's just the prototype or "beauty shot" figure in that photo that has that kind of saber. Not all accessories seen in publicity shots wind up being the final ones that show up in the retail packaging, but seeing how the new Battle Packs and Clone Wars figures are devolving in both articulation and some of their gear I won't be surprised in the least if the final Luke saber does end up being a crappy mishmash of different saber parts.
Old April 25 2012, 01:04 AM   #220
Undead
Continuity Spackle

Hopefully we won't give them any ideas, at the very least. Have you ever been over to the huge SW site that has all the toy and product information, and pretty much has every bit of info you'd ever want to know on that subject? They have some very interesting finds, particularly some of the foreign figures and prototypes that never made it the production level (or were heavily altered by that point, in some cases).

"If you think you're brave enough to walk the path of honor, then follow me into the dragon's den."

Knight Exemplar
Old April 25 2012, 01:08 AM   #221
Ghouleddie74
Fleet Admiral

Which site is that...I got to a whole lot of them. Maybe I've seen it in all my travels across the Web looking for collecting sites. Do you remember anything about the site's name?
Old April 25 2012, 01:18 AM   #222
Undead
Continuity Spackle

It's been around a while, so it's certainly possible that you've seen it before. It's the Star Wars Collector's Archive, and it has a lot of cool stuff to look at. One of my personal favorites is a Hoth vehicle that was never produced, but apparently made it pretty far into the design phase. I love all the cloned Hans.

Knight Exemplar
Old April 25 2012, 01:24 AM   #223
Ghouleddie74
Fleet Admiral

I'll Google that and go check it out. Maybe I've seen the site before and just completely forgotten. Thanks.

If you're into STAR WARS collectibles two of the greatest sites out there are Galactichunter.com and JediTempleArchives.com. I actually post on JTA as Darth Eddie as part of the collector community and just yesterday we made note of the tenth anniversary of the release of the 2002 Saga / Attack of the Clones toy and collectible lines. JTA has what are probably the best and most comprehensive figure, ship and vehicle reviews of any site on the Internet hands down. Galactichunter is also an incredible site with a terrific photo archive and daily reviews of random figures dating from the launch of the modern STAR WARS era in 1995 up to the present. Check 'em out if you're not already aware of them. There's also Rebelscum.com, Yakface.com, BanthaSkull.com...the list goes on forever.
Old April 25 2012, 01:43 AM   #224
OdoWanKenobi
Ring Slinger

Gah, as if Evezan wasn't going to be hard enough to find as it is, now there's a paint variant?
Old April 25 2012, 01:46 AM   #225
Undead
Continuity Spackle

Some of the foreign and/or bootleg figures are very amusing, like the mutant Yoda of Hungary. Lots of kids would undoubtedly have loved this toy as well, had it been produced.

Knight Exemplar