USS Bowman

Discussion in 'Fan Art' started by DredZed, Apr 5, 2012.

1. DredZed

DredZed Lieutenant Junior Grade Red Shirt

Since several people expressed interest in this ship from my last thread about my movie era Romulan Warbird, I figured I'd make a separate thread just for this.

Early sketch image:

[​IMG]

Upper saucer detail:

[​IMG]

And here's an angled shot, and some orthos, with the mostly fleshed out saucer (other than the Bridge and lower sections, as well as windows), and the rest still in early sketch form:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And lastly, some recent work I've been getting done on the warp nacelles:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Obviously, it shares a lot of design elements of the Constitution Refit, but is a bit more compact and "sporty". Here's a quick scale study to illustrate the relative sizes:

[​IMG]

Please let me know what you think, any comments or suggestions for improvement are always welcome. This is my first serious attempt at doing a Starfleet ship, so I'm learning a lot as I go.

2. sojourner

sojourner Admiral In Memoriam

Nice design. A simple take on the Constitution form without trying to over think it.

Watch out on the lower bit of the primary hull, build it up too much and it will block the main dish.

3. Patrickivan

Patrickivan Fleet Captain Newbie

I don't know- I think the design philosophy borrows too much from Voyager...

From an unbiased POV, it looks fine none-the-less. I do agree with Sojourner, however LOS dishes and Star Trek seem to be less then synonymous with one another. heh

4. Starship

Starship Captain Captain

I like her! :techman: Go ahead!

5. SPEKTRE76

SPEKTRE76 Lieutenant Junior Grade Red Shirt

Looking good man, I'm working on a star ship myself. It's going to take some minimal design cues from the F-22 Raptor much like Lamborghini's Siesto Elemento.

6. publiusr

publiusr Admiral Admiral

Very aggressive. A starfleet K'Teremny

7. DredZed

Thanks for the comments guys. I haven't gotten much done, getting married in just over two weeks, so that's taking up a lot of my time obviously, lol.

Here's the latest:

[​IMG]

Like I said, not a whole lot done, got the front on the nacelles, but still have to cut out the Bussard collector areas and add in the front grilles and such. I'm pretty happy with the overall look of the whole thing coming together.

I agree that it does seem to have a bit of a Voyager feel to the general shape and size choices, but the funny thing is I never (consiously) thought of that as I was working on coming up with the design. I just liked the idea of a more compact ship, that could be focused on more speed and maneuverability without having to worry as much about being a Jack-of-all-Trades like the Constitution always seemed to be.

This would be the sort of ship that would be patrolling along the borders, keeping an eye out for problems (hence the Romulan ship I'm working on in my other thread to go along with it). She'd be big and strong enough to deal with anything that might come along, but didn't have to be the best at everything, and could skip out in a hurry if the need arose.

And as for the lower saucer, I've been concerned about that myself, but if I absolutely have to I could bring the lower saucer in a little bit more to fit in the lower dome and such down there. I'll be seeing how that works out soon.

8. B.J.

B.J. Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Nice design! :techman: It's kind of similar to a design I did years ago (USS Leonov), right down to the relative size and even the step in the upper saucer surface. (I'm not accusing you of stealing anything, just saying that great minds think alike! :D ) I remember having the same issue with the lower saucer, but my solution was to come up with a unique (for TOS era) dish design, which you can see in the link above.

9. publiusr

publiusr Admiral Admiral

10. Kaiser

Kaiser Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

11. DredZed

A little more work done on the warp nacelles:

[​IMG]

And now I feel like I have to step up my game to live up to the thread number, lol.

12. Kaiser

Nice Nacelles this design is coming along well :) :techman:

13. DredZed

Tweaked the front end of the bussard collectors:

[​IMG]

Removed the protruding ridge from the "Inlet Flow Sensor" as it's marked on the TMP blueprints of the refit Constitution. So that helped to streamline that bit down a little.

I also tried my hand at adding in some detailing inside the bussard grille, not that it would normally be visible at all, but here it is:

[​IMG]

14. DredZed

Taking a break from the nacelles for a bit, to work on the details around the rim of the saucer. Just added the windows:

[​IMG]

15. Bernard Guignard

Bernard Guignard Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

looking very nice

16. DredZed

Haven't had too much time to work on this lately, but I managed to get a tiny bit more done. Here's the main gangway hatch on the port side of the saucer:

[​IMG]

In this one, one of the cutouts in the step on the upper saucer can be seen clearly too, showing off the sensor cluster inside.

Probably won't have too much time to work on this over the next few weeks, getting married on Friday. But if I manage to get anything else done I'll make sure to put it up.

17. Blip

Blip Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Congratulations! Hope you have an awesome day. :)

18. Kaiser

Congrats on getting Married :) :techman:

19. publiusr

publiusr Admiral Admiral

I love the cut-outs. Nice to see new life breathed into the refit with original work.

Having this evolve into STO's Excalibur might be interesting....

20. E-DUB

E-DUB Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

To Blip, RE: your sig line. Actually either usage is correct. The meaning of "I couldn't care" less is self explanatory, while "I could care less" is taken to mean: "While it is theoretically possible that I could care less, it is extremely unlikely".