Shaun And Ed On Phineas and Ferb
By: T'Bonz on Aug 18

New Ships Coming From Official Starships Collection

Trek Stars Take On Ice Bucket Challenge

Retro Review: Profit and Lace
By: Michelle on Aug 16

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old April 4 2012, 09:27 PM   #31
superdeluxe
Captain

Re: What if a 'Mass Effect' TV series were made?

Skywalker wrote: View Post
superdeluxe wrote: View Post
Skywalker wrote: View Post
Anything before the First Contact War (i.e. the Rachni Wars and the Krogan Rebellions) would be immediately out because that all took place before humanity arrived on the galactic stage. Even the First Contact War wouldn't make for a terribly good basis for a TV series because it wasn't so much a war as it was a brief scuffle that only lasted a couple of months. The First Contact War could work as the subject of a telemovie or miniseries, though.
Not really sure you could have a Mass effect universe tv series, unless you want
Yeah, but you're ignoring the 30-odd years before all of that just to make your point. There's plenty of time in which to set a TV series.
I wasn't really ignoring it, I just making I guess a assumption that any series would be after the 'final' piece in Mass effect, I suppose you could have it happen before ME1.

Star Trek 250+ million or Bust!
superdeluxe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 5 2012, 06:21 AM   #32
-Brett-
Rear Admiral

All the bad press ME3 generated will probably kill the movie, (although I never for a moment believed that it would see the light of day anyway) and certainly any hypothetical TV show. What studio would touch something with all this baggage? None would be my guess.

That said, if by some fluke someone went for it, the best way to sell it would probably be to play up the exploration side of it, rather than the warfare. Humanity reaching for the stars, and all that. The Reapers can, as they did in the game series, come later.

Last edited by -Brett-; April 5 2012 at 06:51 AM.
-Brett- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 5 2012, 09:17 AM   #33
Yevetha
Commodore

Can the ending be retconned in any way, shape or form?
Yevetha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 5 2012, 09:23 AM   #34
Deckerd
Fleet Arse

There isn't enough original plot material in the games to make a TV show.
Old April 5 2012, 09:57 AM   #35
clint g
Admiral

Yevetha wrote: View Post
Not only is it possible, it probably will.
Old April 5 2012, 10:07 AM   #36
Reverend
Rear Admiral

Wait and see. There's a slight chance the game itself will be officially retconned. But as it stands, I'd say no. The endings are all very definite and far reaching. To make any substantive difference the whole thing would have to be redone.

Deckerd wrote: View Post
You know, I thought that about 'The Walking Dead' but they some how managed to squeeze a dozen or so episodes out of, what? Five or six comic book issues? I think they could get a good 3 season out of it. Whether it's three seasons of twenty odd episodes or three seasons of a dozen episodes depends on how they'd want to plot the story.

Hypothetically-depending on the tone and pace they choose for the show-if they were to do a direct adaptation then the Eden Prime mission could take up a whole episode. The Cerberus plot--starting with Banes and ending with Kahoku's death--could be strung throughout the first season, setting up their larger role later on. New cast members will be introduced gradually like on 'Farscape', with Liara being the last major one at about the fourth or fifth episode. And obviously Ilos and the battle of the Citadel would be the season finale...making Shepard's death the season two premier.

It's all academic of course since it'd never be done this way and I agree that the movie has little chance of being made (though not because of the "bad press") and even less chance of being any good.
Reverend is online now   Reply With Quote
Old April 5 2012, 10:12 AM   #37
Deckerd
Fleet Arse

Having avoided all the spoilers I seem to have avoided the bad press too. I fail to see the ending of one of a suite of 3 games (and counting) has any effect on the viability (or not) of making a crossover movie. All the whining about the end of ME3 didn't stop people going out and buying it like all the others.
Old April 5 2012, 02:20 PM   #38
PsychoPere
Vice Admiral

All the whining about the end of ME3 didn't stop people going out and buying it like all the others.
In its first twenty-four hours, the game sold at least 890,000 copies in North America; in its first four days, it had shipped 3.5 million copies. The "whining" (i.e., legitimate criticism) about the ending didn't start until people had finished the game, obviously.

The criticism does seem to have had an effect - the game's sales dropped 79.2% globally in its second week, and 51% from that number in its third week. By its second week, the Microsoft Store had put the Xbox 360 version on sale (and it still is); and Wal-Mart Canada put both console versions on sale at $29.83; and so on.

In short: Asserting that the "whining" didn't have an effect on its sales numbers is inaccurate and misrepresents a simple fact - no one knew what the ending was before it had already sold most of the copies that it has sold in the month it has been out.
PsychoPere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 5 2012, 02:56 PM   #39
Deckerd
Fleet Arse

How can you say that unless you compare it with the sales of the first two games?
Old April 5 2012, 03:55 PM   #40
TheGodBen
Rear Admiral

Temis the Vorta wrote: View Post
So from what I gather we have is: outer space
Yup.

warfare,
The trailers focus on the combat and warfare angle of the stories because that's what appeals to your average young male gamer, but a good deal of time in the game, perhaps even the majority, is spent in conversations with hundreds of different characters. That's why Mass Effect 1 is so fondly remembered by gamers even though the combat parts were rather awkward. So there is warfare in the games, but it's only one element of them.

two sides fighting
More than two. You have the Council races (Asari, Salarian, Turian, Human, Volus, Elcor, Hanar, and others), the Terminus Systems (various factions that are independent of Council control), the Krogan, the Batarians, the Quarians, the Geth, the Collectors, and the quasi-terrorist Cerberus organisation. Oh, and the Reapers.

- why are they fighting?
Expansion, dominance, freedom, survival, old racial hatreds... the usual reasons.

Why are the Reapers trying to extinguish all advanced organic life? That's the big question that hangs over the series and it's only answered in the final moments, and when you find out you'll probably wish you hadn't.

Hyperspace05 wrote: View Post
Yeah, I haven't played Mass Effect... But I have seen most trailers, and read about it. And I fail to see why it proclaimed as such a great Sci-Fi universe.
Because it's like all the popular sci-fi universe rolled into one. Star Trek, Star Wars, Babylon 5, Battlestar Galactica, Firefly, and more are all inspirations for various elements of the universe. If you like one or all of those franchises, you'll probably like Mass Effect. It may not be particularly original, but it's a lot of fun and very atmospheric.

Don't judge the games by the trailers, by their nature they focus on the shallowest elements of the games. For example, ME3 was marketed as a game about taking Earth back, but in a 30-40 hour game you actually only spend about 2 of those on Earth. You probably spend more time on Tuchanka (the Krogan homeworld) than you do on Earth, but they didn't market the game that way because the average Call of Duty player doesn't know what a Tuchanka is.

Temis the Vorta wrote: View Post
How do you change the soulless suit's mind in 20 seconds or less?
"Starring Martin Sheen as the chain-smoking and seemingly all-powerful leader of a morally ambiguous mercenary organisation, and Yvonne Strahovski in a skin-tight catsuit."
Old April 5 2012, 03:57 PM   #41
superdeluxe
Captain

Yes it can, which is the glory of the video game medium

Old April 5 2012, 03:58 PM   #42
TrueBlueMug
Ensign

View TrueBlueMug's Twitter Profile

Getting back topic a bit, I tend to think that the idea of Mass Effect movie is going to be disaster. Three 40+ hour video games don't scream 2.5 hour movie adaptations, unless it was a very long series movies.

A tv series, on the other hand, really could work well. The material really suits long form storytelling. In any event, the way Game of Thrones has been handled by HBO is definitely the way to go. The question is whether or not a network could handle the budget for such a show and the answer is probably no... unfortunately.
Old April 5 2012, 03:59 PM   #43
superdeluxe
Captain

-Brett- wrote: View Post
Humanity reaching for the stars, and all that. The Reapers can, as they did in the game series, come later.
Would viewers get invested in a series where they know

Old April 5 2012, 04:00 PM   #44
superdeluxe
Captain

I believe there is enough background info, that you can expand it into something more

Old April 5 2012, 05:29 PM   #45
Trubinator
Rear Admiral

I think the Mass Effect series would be better served as a miniseries. But as other posters have noted the budget would be astronomical.