Cumberbatch As Turing
By: T'Bonz on Jul 21

Retro Review: In the Pale Moonlight
By: Michelle on Jul 19

Trek Beach Towel
By: T'Bonz on Jul 18

Two New Starships Collection Releases
By: T'Bonz on Jul 17

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Sports and Fitness

Sports and Fitness It's football, not soccer.

Old October 25 2012, 07:01 AM   #1036
RevDMV
Rear Admiral

Re: MLB Discussion - 2012 Season

That was so odd...

Loved the Panda-monium
Old October 25 2012, 08:53 AM   #1037
Flux Capacitor
Rear Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Flux Capacitor

SmoothieX wrote: View Post
This World Series is boring as anything so far.
As has been any World Series that didn't feature the Giants for me...yet you don't see me complaining about it.

Mr. Laser Beam wrote: View Post
I think Tim McCarver hit a new low tonight. After the crowd had been chanting "Barry...Barry..." (as in, Zito, and everyone knew this), guess who ol' Tim suggested it was? Manilow.

Even Joe Buck was floored...
Yeah, the guy needs to throw in the towel..and as far as Buck goes, he sucks too. Even after Verlander got spanked and was gone they were still kissing his ass.

RevDMV wrote: View Post
That was so odd...

Loved the Panda-monium
The lack of torture was quite strange...but I could get used to it.
Old October 25 2012, 11:33 AM   #1038
SmoothieX
Vice Admiral

As has been any World Series that didn't feature the Giants for me...yet you don't see me complaining about it.
I'm all for casually watching the Series, but I just prefer something a little more suspenseful than 8-1.
SmoothieX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 25 2012, 11:41 AM   #1039
Flux Capacitor
Rear Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Flux Capacitor

Final score was 8-3 if that helps at all. Besides, we Giants fans have gone through enough torture these past few years with these tight games and the seemingly never ending elimination games that a blowout was much appreciated.
Old October 25 2012, 02:10 PM   #1040
Mr. Laser Beam
Fleet Admiral

View Mr. Laser Beam's Twitter Profile

Flux Capacitor wrote: View Post
Yeah, the guy needs to throw in the towel..and as far as Buck goes, he sucks too. Even after Verlander got spanked and was gone they were still kissing his ass.
Verlander really needed to be taken down a peg. I was getting a bit cheesed off at constantly being reminded about how perfect he was and how the Tigers can't lose when he's on the mound and how Game 1 was supposed to be a Tiger blowout and all that bullshit.
Old October 25 2012, 03:53 PM   #1041
Tom Servo
Commodore

Flux Capacitor wrote: View Post
Verlander really needed to be taken down a peg. I was getting a bit cheesed off at constantly being reminded about how perfect he was and how the Tigers can't lose when he's on the mound and how Game 1 was supposed to be a Tiger blowout and all that bullshit.
He really doesn't though. He is arguably the best pitcher in the game, and the most exciting to watch. Watching him dominate the Yankees was quite a treat.

Give credit to the Giants hitters. He doesn't make a lot of mistakes, and he was just a bit off last night. When he made a mistake, they made him pay for it.

Member of Red Sox Nation
Tom Servo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 26 2012, 12:47 AM   #1042
Saito S
Fleet Captain

Send a message via AIM to Saito S

I agree with Tom. Everyone has an off night, I don't see why it's such a big deal. Verlander is undoubtedly a great pitcher and from what I have seen, seems like a decent guy as MLB players go. I don't see why he needs to be taken down a peg simply because announcers and analysts keep talking about him. It's not like it's his fault.

I also think people easily fall into double-standards when it comes to stuff like this. Laser Beam, if Verlander was a Yankees pitcher, and the world series was New York vs. SF, and everything else about his performance + how much the commentators yak about him was the same... I don't think you'd be complaining. This is true of a lot of people.

And a big blowout like this isn't what I wanted either (I'm more of an A's fan than a Giants fan, so with this series, I'm wanting to see good games more than I'm wanting to see the Giants win; I completely understand the sentiment of an SF fan, though, and if it were the A's, I'd be hollering and cheering for any and every kind of victory ), but I still enjoy watching the games. I do think things will tighten up going forward; the Tigers have received a rather startling wake-up call, and they'll need to quickly shake off any lingering sluggishness from their time off. Fister has been quite good in the postseason as well, and Bumgarner not so much, so that bodes well for them. Then again, Barry Zito outpitched Justin Verlander to the tune of 5-1, so who the hell knows what'll happen next.

Musings and randomness
My solitary Trek fic
Saito S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 26 2012, 05:20 AM   #1043
RevDMV
Rear Admiral

Vintage Madbum, it's hard to believe this guy is only 23. Two gems pitched in two different World Series.
Old October 26 2012, 05:47 AM   #1044
Saito S
Fleet Captain

Now that's more like it!

Good, close game. Even later on, with the 2-0 lead, the Tigers were still in it. Excellent pitching all around, though of course San Francisco's was ultimately better. And Romo is one of those guys that's always just... fun to watch.

It'll be interesting to see how things unfold in Detroit. I don't think the Giants can quite muster two road wins in a row and sweep this thing, but they definitely have all the momentum at the moment. Generally speaking, I would say that Detroit has the edge in starting pitching, and that the middle of their lineup is more dangerous... but that hasn't really been borne out so far. San Francisco definitely has the better bullpen, or at least, the more stable bullpen. Still, I doubt the Tigers will continue to struggle to quite this degree back in Detroit. Bring on game 3!

Musings and randomness
My solitary Trek fic
Old October 26 2012, 02:29 PM   #1045
Starbreaker
Fleet Admiral

View Starbreaker's Twitter Profile

Verlander really needed to be taken down a peg.
He's one of the best pitchers in the game. He's not out there guaranteeing championships though, he's just doing his job.
Starbreaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 26 2012, 09:33 PM   #1046
Mr. Laser Beam
Fleet Admiral

Glad that Doug Fister is okay after being hit in the head like that. Dude didn't even flinch!
Old October 26 2012, 11:09 PM   #1047
Saito S
Fleet Captain

Glad that Doug Fister is okay after being hit in the head like that. Dude didn't even flinch!
And that is why, whenever I'd play baseball with friends or whatever, I was never very good at fielding unless I was in the outfield. I had trouble not flinching whenever a ball came my way with any kind of decent speed.

I can't even imagine taking a ball off the noggin like that and then just... continuing to pitch. And he pitched quite well, too, the only problem was that Bumgarner was even better.

Musings and randomness
My solitary Trek fic
Old October 26 2012, 11:27 PM   #1048
RevDMV
Rear Admiral

He's very lucky, looks like it deflected away and he didn't take a direct blow.

I'm always worried about my little league kids, they're awful close up and by the time they get to 12 or so the ball comes off the bat pretty quick.
Old October 27 2012, 01:45 AM   #1049
Mr. Laser Beam
Fleet Admiral

Bryan Stow was at Game 2 in SF. His recovery is proceeding. Linky
Old October 27 2012, 07:12 PM   #1050
RevDMV
Rear Admiral

One of local stations had some video of him arriving at the park, still in a wheelchair sadly, but he looked aware and good.