Trek Ice Cube Maker and Shot Glasses
By: T'Bonz on Aug 25

City on the Edge of Forever #3 Preview

TV Alert: Shatner TNG Documentary

Forbes Cast In Powers
By: T'Bonz on Aug 22

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Sports and Fitness

Sports and Fitness It's football, not soccer.

Old October 19 2012, 02:40 AM   #991
SmoothieX
Vice Admiral

Re: MLB Discussion - 2012 Season

Guillotine2Hell wrote: View Post
SmoothieX wrote: View Post
The official postseason bat of the New York Yankees.

That's awesome, lol

I was pulling for them. But you gotta call it like you see it. I had a lot of fun hanging around sports bars in the Bronx when I was in college there and they were winning all those titles. I was kinda hoping to relive the experience all these years later, even though I am a Mets fan it was still a lot of fun.

The train line down the street would take me right to the stadium (albeit a long ride) so I wouldn't even need to worry about driving home after.

Oh well, onto football now...let's go Patriots, de-feet the Jets. I went to a few Jets-Pats games when I lived in the Boston area. I was at 45-3 in the freezing cold (the fact that I sometimes worked in the field in New England winters meant I had plenty of toasty gear to wear, as opposed to the idiots who showed up in nothing but a sweatshirt and no hat and gloves), and then at the surprise dickpunch of a playoff loss the next month.
SmoothieX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 19 2012, 03:41 AM   #992
Saito S
Fleet Captain

Send a message via AIM to Saito S

Timby wrote: View Post

Edit: Holy shit, no matter what happens in the NL, the World Series will have two sub-90-win teams in it. I love baseball.
Mrah? The Giants went 94-68 this year.

Granted, their chances of getting to the Series aren't looking so hot at the moment, but that's beside the point.
Saito S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 19 2012, 09:12 PM   #993
Mr. Laser Beam
Fleet Admiral

View Mr. Laser Beam's Twitter Profile

I got nothing against the Tigers here. They did not suck, but Yankees did, end of story.... And perhaps if they win the WS, it might provide a much needed boost for the Detroit economy.

Also, on a completely unrelated matter: Jason Giambi to interview for Rockies manager?
It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire shakes, the shakes become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion.
Mr. Laser Beam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 19 2012, 09:53 PM   #994
Timby
GIVE ME YOUR FACE

Mr. Laser Beam wrote: View Post
And perhaps if they win the WS, it might provide a much needed boost for the Detroit economy.
Uh, what? Winning the World Series doesn't suddenly equal "money for the local economy." Detroit's economy is what it is, and for a number of reasons.

"Stadium as economic development engine" was debunked ages ago, and I don't see how a victory would drive the economy outside of merchandise sales, which ... still isn't a huge part of the local economy.
Timby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 20 2012, 09:17 AM   #995
SmoothieX
Vice Admiral

^No way man! If the Tigers win, I'm ditching my Honda for a navy blue Chevy with orange seats.
Old October 20 2012, 09:40 AM   #996
Saito S
Fleet Captain

Send a message via AIM to Saito S

Well!

Forget what I said in my previous post about the Giants chances. It seems they're still alive!

I always think a LOT of momentum goes to the come-from-behind team in these situations. The Cardinals looked REALLY good in games 3 and 4, and suddenly the Giants, who had been pushed to the very edge of the cliff, have come roaring back, forcing the series back into their home park with their two best pitchers slated to start the two remaining games.

They are at the very least even with the Cards as far as who has the edge. If the Giants win game 6, I think they'll win game 7 as well.

Granted, this momentum thing doesn't always work out; just look at my poor A's in game 5 of the ALDS after that spectacular 9th inning comeback in game 4. But it worked for the Giants against the Reds, it worked for the Tigers against the Yankees (the way they won game 1 really set the tone for the whole thing), and it also worked for the Angels in the 2002 World Series... against the Giants.

So that's my call for what's left of this series: Giants win both upcoming games in SF.
Saito S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 20 2012, 12:34 PM   #997
Neroon
Mod of balance

^No way man! If the Tigers win, I'm ditching my Honda for a navy blue Chevy with orange seats.
I swear Justin Verlander has sold his soul to the Devil. How else do you explain the way he's pitching this year, leading his team to the World Series, and now that he's dating Kate Upton?
- Proverbs 12:20
Neroon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 20 2012, 06:20 PM   #998
Timby
GIVE ME YOUR FACE

All Saints Mod wrote: View Post
I swear Justin Verlander has sold his soul to the Devil. How else do you explain the way he's pitching this year, leading his team to the World Series, and now that he's dating Kate Upton?
Verlander's been a beast since his second year -- and he actually pitched better last season.
Old October 21 2012, 08:34 AM   #999
SmoothieX
Vice Admiral

As if the Yanks didn't have enough problems, CC Sabathia faces the pitcher's kiss of death.

http://espn.go.com/new-york/mlb/stor...-james-andrews
Old October 21 2012, 05:42 PM   #1000
Mr. Laser Beam
Fleet Admiral

View Mr. Laser Beam's Twitter Profile

^ Oy. Here's hoping it's only an easily cleanable bone spur.

(Whenever you hear the name "James Andrews", look out!)

And in the "Duh" department: Redsox hire John Farrell as manager and give up Mike Aviles to Toronto in return. (No word on who's replacing JF as Jays manager)
It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire shakes, the shakes become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion.
Mr. Laser Beam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 21 2012, 06:05 PM   #1001
Timby
GIVE ME YOUR FACE

The Red Sox are sending Mike Aviles to Toronto as compensation for hiring John Farrell.

God, stupid Red Sox are so much more fun than smart Red Sox. I love the utter madness of trading labor for management. (The Lou Piniella / Randy Winn thing from a few years back was the greatest thing ever.)
Old October 21 2012, 06:38 PM   #1002
Tom Servo
Commodore

The Red Sox are sending Mike Aviles to Toronto as compensation for hiring John Farrell.

God, stupid Red Sox are so much more fun than smart Red Sox. I love the utter madness of trading labor for management. (The Lou Piniella / Randy Winn thing from a few years back was the greatest thing ever.)
Well the Cubs traded for Theo technically, so how is this different? Would you rather have Theo, or (not the) Chris Carpenter?

If Farrell is the guy they think should be the head of this team during its rebuild, then why should someone like Mike Aviles get in the way of that? He's not irreplaceable in any way. You may not like the whole compensation thing, but how can you say they're stupid, if that's how the system works?

If the Red Sox are bad next year, because of the lack of Mike Aviles, then they have bigger problems to worry about.

Member of Red Sox Nation
Tom Servo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 21 2012, 06:58 PM   #1003
Timby
GIVE ME YOUR FACE

Tom Servo wrote: View Post
Well the Cubs traded for Theo technically, so how is this different? Would you rather have Theo, or (not the) Chris Carpenter?
The president of baseball operations has a hell of a lot more impact on the team than the field manager, and it speaks to Cherington's incompetence that the only thing they got for Theo was Chris Carpenter the Lesser.

The manager's impact on a team's wins and losses is hugely overrated (see: Art Howe being fundamentally retarded yet the A's coming out of nowhere in 2002). Generally speaking, a team with shitty players will be bad, and a team with good players will be good. Aviles can swing a bat and field balls, so he is infinitely more useful than a goddamn manager. Considering that the problems with the Red Sox organization go far, far deeper than the guy in the manager's office, and that managers are essentially as fungible as relievers, trading labor for a field manager (one who isn't even that good at most things) is the height of idiocy, and it fills me with glee to see the Red Sox continue this run of ineptitude. I knock on AA quite a bit, but receiving a real, live baseball player for a manager is a nice move on his part.

If the Red Sox are bad next year, because of the lack of Mike Aviles, then they have bigger problems to worry about.
Oh, they've had bigger problems to worry about for a few years, now.

Last edited by Timby; October 21 2012 at 07:10 PM.
Old October 21 2012, 07:18 PM   #1004
Tom Servo
Commodore

The president of baseball operations has a hell of a lot more impact on the team than the field manager. The manager's impact on a team's wins and losses is hugely overrated (see: Art Howe being fundamentally retarded yet the A's coming out of nowhere in 2002). Generally speaking, a team with shitty players will be bad, and a team with good players will be good. Aviles can swing a bat and field balls, so he is infinitely more useful than a goddamn manager. Considering that the problems with the Red Sox organization go far, far deeper than the guy in the manager's office, and that managers are essentially as fungible as relievers, trading labor for a field manager (one who isn't even that good at most things) is the height of idiocy, and it fills me with glee to see the Red Sox continue this run of ineptitude. I knock on AA quite a bit, but receiving a real, live baseball player for a manager is a nice move on his part.

Oh, they've had bigger problems to worry about for a few years, now.
I agree with you about a lot of this actually. I mean I get that Theo was brought in to rebuild the whole organization, not just to manage the team, but if that is the case, shouldn't the Red Sox have gotten an even better compensation package for him?

I also agree that team has been dysfunctional, from Sept 2011, to Theo leaving, and subsequent compensation terms, to Bobby V, to Lucky poking his head into baseball ops. However, can't they get a little credit for beginning to turn it around? They recognized that they weren't going to get better, dumped almost all of the major contracts that had hamstrung them from retooling the roster (with the help of Dodgers front office) to canning Bobby V. And now they were able to go and quickly execute a trade for a guy who many in the organization (even when Theo was there), had ID'd as Tito's successor, and someone who they wanted to have manage. If they had done something outrageous and traded Rubby de LaRosa, Buchholz or any of their top prospects for Farrell, I'd agree with you, but for Mike Freaking Aviles I just can't get upset over that.

Now they're in the position to have a rebuild (with a admittedly weaker roster to start with). They have a manager who they know communicates well with upper management, who knows their goals and philosophy, and they have MASSIVE payroll flexibility. I feel like the line Jonah Hill has in Moneyball sums it up great. "I think it's a good thing that you got Damon off your payroll. I think it opens up all kinds of interesting possibilities." They were in a mess, they somehow were able to hit a massive reset button, and now the challenge is that they need to rebuild this thing correctly.

Member of Red Sox Nation
Tom Servo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 21 2012, 09:28 PM   #1005
Timby
GIVE ME YOUR FACE

I agree with you about a lot of this actually. I mean I get that Theo was brought in to rebuild the whole organization, not just to manage the team, but if that is the case, shouldn't the Red Sox have gotten an even better compensation package for him?
Absolutely, and it speaks to the incompetence of the front office that the return was so pathetic. They somehow got less for Theo than the White Sox did for Ozzie.

However, can't they get a little credit for beginning to turn it around? They recognized that they weren't going to get better, dumped almost all of the major contracts that had hamstrung them from retooling the roster (with the help of Dodgers front office) to canning Bobby V. And now they were able to go and quickly execute a trade for a guy who many in the organization (even when Theo was there), had ID'd as Tito's successor, and someone who they wanted to have manage. If they had done something outrageous and traded Rubby de LaRosa, Buchholz or any of their top prospects for Farrell, I'd agree with you, but for Mike Freaking Aviles I just can't get upset over that.
See, I don't think they're turning it around. While it was good to dump Crawford, I'm not sold on dumping Gonzalez, the Youkilis trade was moronic for several reasons, and they've moved heaven and earth to make roster space for Jose Iglesias, who for all his defensive talent is still the worst hitter in professional baseball. In just twelve months, they've gone from a flawed but competitive team to one that has absolutely no chance of being decent for a number of years to come. Beyond the broken organization, trading for a manager is maybe the dumbest thing any professional baseball club could do (that isn't named "hire Dave Littlefield for anything, ever") and trading an everyday player for one is even more laughable. And David Carpenter is not a good pitcher and was going to be dropped from the 40-man if he wasn't traded. All of this turmoil for a manager who didn't exactly light the world on fire in Toronto and employed some ... "interesting" tactics during games.

In other news, Cashman says he'll listen to offers for A-Rod.

"It's not like I'm going to hang phones up on anybody who wants to make any overtures about anything," Cashman told O'Connor. "You're talking about realistic stuff and unrealistic stuff. I don't think it's realistic at all for us to be moving forward with anything but Alex Rodriguez at third base.

"He's still an above-average third baseman. ... That means despite the contract that we had committed to him, that he's an asset at this stage still. I don't see us doing anything there. I don't anticipate it. If someone wants to make phone calls, we're more than willing to do all that stuff with any of our players, and that's fine. You can run into something that way.
LET THE WILD RUMPUS START