Retro Review: Shadows and Symbols
By: Michelle on Sep 27

Meyer: Revitalizing Star Trek
By: T'Bonz on Sep 26

Trek Costumes To Be Auctioned
By: T'Bonz on Sep 25

Hulu Snaps up Abrams-Produced Drama
By: T'Bonz on Sep 25

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Sports and Fitness

Sports and Fitness It's football, not soccer.

Old April 19 2012, 03:55 PM   #76
SJSharksfan39
Admiral

View SJSharksfan39's Twitter Profile
Re: MLB Discussion - 2012 Season

Last night's Giants game was one of the best baseball games I've seen since Game 5 of the 2010 World Series. Both Lee and Cain were just dealing out there and an 11 inning game lasted less than 3 hours. If this was Red Sox/Yankees, that probably would have lasted like 5 hours, but this game last night was fast. I'm glad the Giants got the late run to win it, but that was baseball at it's finest.

Last edited by SJSharksfan39; April 20 2012 at 12:17 AM.
SJSharksfan39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 19 2012, 08:35 PM   #77
Tom Hendricks
Commodore

View Tom Hendricks's Twitter Profile

I was watching it on my iPad, one of the best games ever played. It's games like this that makes me love baseball so much.

tomalak301 wrote: View Post
Last night's Giants game was one of the best baseball games I've seen since Game 5 of the 2010 World Series. Both Lee and Cain were just dealing out there and an 11 inning game lasted less than 2 hours. If this was Red Sox/Yankees, that probably would have lasted like 5 hours, but this game last night was fast. I'm glad the Giants got the late run to win it, but that was baseball at it's finest.

Of course I'm a creationist. I believe man created god.
Tom Hendricks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 19 2012, 08:54 PM   #78
Scout101
Admiral

The Sox and Yankees take a lot of crap for long games (and it's true, especially when playing each other), but i don't get the problem. Gets kinda old after a few hours, I guess, but aren't they doing EXACTLY what they should be? why have a bullpen if you won't use the pitchers to get the best possible matchups?

Granted, some of the delay is nonsense, but that's true of most games. The REAL reason why they take so long is that both teams go in with the same philosophy: Make the pitcher WORK. they are both in the top of the league every year in Pitches per Plate Appearance. they don't usually swing at the first pitch, more counts go full, they'll foul off a ton of pitches. Boring, but exactly what you should be doing. Better chance of getting *your* pitch to hit, and worst case, it chases the starting pitcher from the game earlier, which means you expose the crappier guys in the bullpen. If the starter stays to the 8th, and then you get the closer, that sucks. Chase him with a high pitch count by the 4th or 5th, and you're getting way crappier guys to hit off of, and better chance to win.

Again, boring to watch sometimes, but also exactly what they should be doing. When BOTH teams do it, it does take a while, though. Without it, you don't get things like the epic at-bat by Kevin Millar in 2004 ALCS, though, which led to a walk eventually, which led to the Dave Roberts steal, the huge comeback, and the 2004 World Series win.

Hell, that's how Youkilis was featured in MoneyBall as the Greek God of Walks (not Greek), right?

Has the attention span gone down so far that if you don't see a HR on the first pitch, you should just weakly ground out and get it over with so someone else can try for a HR?

When the pitchers are on fire, it's gonna be a short game no matter what. if both offenses are good, and work the pitchcounts, it's gonna be longer. No shit that pitching to 30 guys a game is faster than if 55 guys get an at-bat...

NL games are usually shorter anyway, as you've got (generally) some of the better pitchers, and weaker (on average) lineups. And you've got basically automatic outs in the pitcher spot every time through the order. That's a couple times a game that it's a quick out either through crappy hitting or an intentional sac bunt on the first or second pitch. not a shocker that it takes longer to get David Ortiz out 3 times than it does to get Cain out when he's holding a bat...
Perhaps, if I am very lucky, the feeble efforts of my lifetime will someday be noticed and maybe, in some small way, they will be acknowledged as the greatest works of genius ever created by man. ~Jack Handey
STO: @JScout33
Scout101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 19 2012, 09:04 PM   #79
George Steinbrenner
Fleet Admiral

View George Steinbrenner's Twitter Profile

^ Most of the time it's only jackasses like Joe West who complain about how long Redsox/Yankee games get.
It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire shakes, the shakes become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion.
George Steinbrenner is online now   Reply With Quote
Old April 21 2012, 01:08 PM   #80
Scout101
Admiral

Last minute decision, but ended up at Fenway for the 100th Anniversary celebration. Was very cool.

Other than Buchholz giving up 5 solo HRs and blowing the game after.

Still awesome to have been there. Had a little over 200 former players walk out onto the field one at a time, all kinds of eras represented. And had 4 living Hall of Famers (Pesky, Doerr, Yaz, and Rice) all there. Vaughn, Nomar, Pedro, Millar, had all sorts of cool people to see
Perhaps, if I am very lucky, the feeble efforts of my lifetime will someday be noticed and maybe, in some small way, they will be acknowledged as the greatest works of genius ever created by man. ~Jack Handey
STO: @JScout33
Scout101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 21 2012, 01:19 PM   #81
Jar Jar Binks
Admiral

^ I hate you. I didn't even get to see the celebration on TV.

I'm really glad Bobby Doerr was able to make it there. I wasn't sure if he'd show up, since he lives in Oregon.
Jar Jar Binks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 21 2012, 04:11 PM   #82
Kirby
Rear Admiral

View Kirby's Twitter Profile

I would have loved to be in the meeting where they were deciding how much to stuff to put into that thing.
It's almost like they made a brainstorming list of different possibilities and then gave it to the contractor who instead of making a phone call just put them all on there.
I thought the Brewer's slide thing was a little silly, but this just blows that away by several hundred degrees.
Old April 21 2012, 04:18 PM   #83
Timby
GIVE ME YOUR FACE

The Cubs are 3 - 11, and the team's slugging percentage is ... wait for it ... .319.

I knew it was going to be a long season, but, holy shit. Holy holy holy shit.
Timby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 21 2012, 04:46 PM   #84
SmoothieX
Vice Admiral

^
SmoothieX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 21 2012, 05:17 PM   #85
Timby
GIVE ME YOUR FACE

That's probably the best post / avatar combination I've seen in a long while.
Old April 21 2012, 05:17 PM   #86
Tom Hendricks
Commodore

View Tom Hendricks's Twitter Profile

I was able to watch the opening celebration on my iPad. I can't tell you how much I love going up to Fenway and watching games there. My best friend is a huge Red Sox fan and we usually go every summer up and catch a few games over a weekend. Its one of my most cherish things to do, we have had this tradition for almost 10 years now.

Scout101 wrote: View Post
Last minute decision, but ended up at Fenway for the 100th Anniversary celebration. Was very cool.

Other than Buchholz giving up 5 solo HRs and blowing the game after.

Still awesome to have been there. Had a little over 200 former players walk out onto the field one at a time, all kinds of eras represented. And had 4 living Hall of Famers (Pesky, Doerr, Yaz, and Rice) all there. Vaughn, Nomar, Pedro, Millar, had all sorts of cool people to see

Of course I'm a creationist. I believe man created god.
Tom Hendricks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 21 2012, 05:34 PM   #87
Ar-Pharazon
Rear Admiral

Timby wrote: View Post
The Cubs are 3 - 11, and the team's slugging percentage is ... wait for it ... .319.

Plus Dempster potentially going on the DL, or at least missing a start or two, with his 1.33 ERA.

Wood already on the DL (huge surprise there).

And, like last year, mostly getting a lot of hits but not putting them together for runs.

I wonder, with all the BS about contending "this year", how they'll explain this off after a while. "oh, we always said we were rebuilding".
Ar-Pharazon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old April 21 2012, 05:48 PM   #88
Timby
GIVE ME YOUR FACE

Ar-Pharazon wrote: View Post

Plus Dempster potentially going on the DL, or at least missing a start or two, with his 1.33 ERA.

And, like last year, mostly getting a lot of hits but not putting them together for runs.

I wonder, with all the BS about contending "this year", how they'll explain this off after a while. "oh, we always said we were rebuilding".
Dempster was put on the DL about an hour ago. Word is that to clear a roster spot, Marlon ".070 batting average" Byrd may be on his way to Boston, since he wasn't in today's lineup.

Wood to the DL doesn't shock me, because while his velocity has been at or near career-best, his location has been horrific, and it's clear that something isn't right with his shoulder.
Old April 21 2012, 05:56 PM   #89
SmoothieX
Vice Admiral

That's probably the best post / avatar combination I've seen in a long while.
The avatar guy is definitely on top of this game so far this season.
SmoothieX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 21 2012, 07:01 PM   #90
Ar-Pharazon
Rear Admiral

Ar-Pharazon wrote: View Post

Dempster was put on the DL about an hour ago. Word is that to clear a roster spot, Marlon ".070 batting average" Byrd may be on his way to Boston, since he wasn't in today's lineup.

Wood to the DL doesn't shock me, because while his velocity has been at or near career-best, his location has been horrific, and it's clear that something isn't right with his shoulder.
What do they think they'll get for Byrd? Still, it could free up a spot for, what, Jackson to play every day?
Ar-Pharazon is online now   Reply With Quote