Shatner In Haven
By: T'Bonz on Nov 24

Retro Review: Covenant
By: Michelle on Nov 22

Two Official Starships Collection Previews
By: T'Bonz on Nov 21

Saldana: Women Issues In Hollywood
By: T'Bonz on Nov 21

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Sports and Fitness

Sports and Fitness It's football, not soccer.

Old September 27 2012, 09:00 PM   #796
Timby
GIVE ME YOUR FACE

Re: MLB Discussion - 2012 Season

Holy shit, the Indians fired Manny Acta, apparently because he didn't heal Grady Sizemore, fix Ubaldo's mechanics, remove Justin Masterson's platoon split, use Jedi mind tricks to propel Casey Kotchman, Johnny Damon and Shelley Duncan to league-average production or personally drive Derek Lowe to the Fountain of Youth.

Cleveland ... y'all are morons.
Timby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 27 2012, 09:12 PM   #797
Mr. Laser Beam
Fleet Admiral

View Mr. Laser Beam's Twitter Profile

Tom Hendricks wrote: View Post
That was no hit, should have been ruled an error.
How do you figure?

And on a lighter note, R.A. Dickey gets his 20th win!
It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire shakes, the shakes become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion.
Mr. Laser Beam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 27 2012, 09:34 PM   #798
Starbreaker
Fleet Admiral

View Starbreaker's Twitter Profile

Acta could be a good fit in Miami if they'll let a white guy coach.
Starbreaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 27 2012, 11:17 PM   #799
Timby
GIVE ME YOUR FACE

Mr. Laser Beam wrote: View Post
Groovy. Pitchers' win / loss records are completely and utterly meaningless.
Timby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 28 2012, 12:36 AM   #800
SmoothieX
Vice Admiral

Tom Hendricks wrote: View Post
That was no hit, should have been ruled an error.
How do you figure?

In a completely lost season otherwise, that was something I was rooting for.
SmoothieX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 28 2012, 11:50 AM   #801
Scout101
Admiral

Entertaining that they can have both a 20-game winner AND only 72 wins on the season, though. Means everyone that wasn't Dickey was completely awful. At least he can say it wasn't his fault

Is kinda funny that despite how epic the Red Sox collapse has been, and how that's portrayed, there are still 6 teams worse (some MUCH worse), and even the Mets are only 3 games better. Lot of teams in a race to mediocrity here.
Perhaps, if I am very lucky, the feeble efforts of my lifetime will someday be noticed and maybe, in some small way, they will be acknowledged as the greatest works of genius ever created by man. ~Jack Handey
STO: @JScout33
Scout101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 28 2012, 11:58 AM   #802
SmoothieX
Vice Admiral

Yeah, 28% of the team's wins isn't bad. He could probably have 2-3 more wins if the offense didn't disappear after the all-star break and the bullpen didn't go through that 6 week phase where they couldn't hold a lead if the other team stopped swinging.

I'm watching from a distance at this point, but I lived in New England for years and still thumb through the Boston papers. About the Red Sox, last year was all about the collapse. This year the attention seems to be infighting and finger pointing and the fact they already more or less blew up the team.
Old September 28 2012, 07:21 PM   #803
Scout101
Admiral

Yeah, kinda hard to get emotional about it this year (last year being great and then shitting the bed, getting mad was easy). They set a record for being hurt, so you were just kinda treading water until the guys got back. Then they did, but failed to pick up steam. Already kinda numb at that point, though. And then Bobby constantly starting shit with his mouth, and the in-fighting. Then they blew up the team (staggering amount of money off the books, great fresh start that you almost never get), so you just kinda go into 'have fun and watch the kids play' mode, and don't care about the outcome.

As long as they can Bobby next Friday, and then swing a couple trades in the off-season, they're on their way back to being decent. Over-paid/under-performing stars are mostly gone, and HAS to be less horrible injury luck. Manager that isn't throwing team under the bus, and a couple trades for younger stars about to get expensive (this is the opportunity provided by the trades, you can go grab, say, a Justin Upton, and just absorb the salary no problem).

Don't think that, aside from pink hats, people are really upset by what's going on. Decent fans should recognize the opportunity to retool and get back to winning. On the outside, looks worse, and just traded away the stars.

guess we'll see.
Perhaps, if I am very lucky, the feeble efforts of my lifetime will someday be noticed and maybe, in some small way, they will be acknowledged as the greatest works of genius ever created by man. ~Jack Handey
Old September 28 2012, 07:50 PM   #804
Use of Time
Commodore

Scout101 wrote: View Post
Yeah, kinda hard to get emotional about it this year (last year being great and then shitting the bed, getting mad was easy). They set a record for being hurt, so you were just kinda treading water until the guys got back. Then they did, but failed to pick up steam. Already kinda numb at that point, though. And then Bobby constantly starting shit with his mouth, and the in-fighting. Then they blew up the team (staggering amount of money off the books, great fresh start that you almost never get), so you just kinda go into 'have fun and watch the kids play' mode, and don't care about the outcome.

As long as they can Bobby next Friday, and then swing a couple trades in the off-season, they're on their way back to being decent. Over-paid/under-performing stars are mostly gone, and HAS to be less horrible injury luck. Manager that isn't throwing team under the bus, and a couple trades for younger stars about to get expensive (this is the opportunity provided by the trades, you can go grab, say, a Justin Upton, and just absorb the salary no problem).

Don't think that, aside from pink hats, people are really upset by what's going on. Decent fans should recognize the opportunity to retool and get back to winning. On the outside, looks worse, and just traded away the stars.

guess we'll see.
There's something to be said for watching your favorite sports team without any expectations. As an analogy, I remember a couple of years ago when Tony Romo went down for the season in his fourth game. It became a lot less stressful watching Jon Kitna take the helm when you pretty much knew the season was fucked. My best hope watching games was just to knock off a few good teams every now and then. I became a lot less vested in the games emotionally. The same for my Braves during the later part of the 06-09 era. You pretty much just root for individual players to have a good night and try to spot some emerging talent that can help you farther down the road.

That being said I expect the Sox to jump back into the mix easily next year. They will no doubt be big off season spenders with the amazing dump they took on the Dodgers. How they got them to eat all those contracts is mind boggling especially considering they will most likely miss the post season.
Old September 28 2012, 07:53 PM   #805
Scout101
Admiral

Think they were hoping to avoid that 2nd part

I don't think there's a ton available on the Free Agent market this year, which is going to make the trade market very interesting. Boston has the money to take on expensive contracts, and has a bunch of prospects that, while not tops in the system, are all squeezing for spots on the 40-man roster, so clearing the logjam there may be a benefit as well. Definitely going to be interesting.
Old September 29 2012, 02:38 AM   #806
Mr. Laser Beam
Fleet Admiral

Homer Bailey no-hitter!
It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire shakes, the shakes become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion.
Old September 29 2012, 04:53 AM   #807
SmoothieX
Vice Admiral

There's something to be said for watching your favorite sports team without any expectations. As an analogy, I remember a couple of years ago when Tony Romo went down for the season in his fourth game. It became a lot less stressful watching Jon Kitna take the helm when you pretty much knew the season was fucked. My best hope watching games was just to knock off a few good teams every now and then. I became a lot less vested in the games emotionally. The same for my Braves during the later part of the 06-09 era. You pretty much just root for individual players to have a good night and try to spot some emerging talent that can help you farther down the road.
Kinda like the way the Pats got guillotined 7 minutes into the 2008 season after shitting it in the last minute of the Super Bowl the previous year. No expectations, just something to watch on Sunday afternoons. At lest I didn't get teased for 4 games.

Watching the Mets this year has been similar to what you are getting at. After a few years of organizational incompetence and ineptitude, they have some promising young players. You can see them being good in a couple years with some further development and a good signing or two. But honestly, in the second half, other than a Dickey start, it's just moving pictures to entertain me during dinner.
Old September 29 2012, 11:41 AM   #808
Kronos
Admiral

Homer Bailey no-hitter!
Bailey has three complete games in his career. All are against the Pirates - one a shutout and now the no-no.

They should sign him
Old September 30 2012, 05:48 PM   #809
Danny99
Vice Admiral

Went the Blue Jays and Yankees game yesterday and while it was a good game, I have to say the experience was sorely lacking.

Not only did Downtown Toronto traffic make it an hour just to get across town, once you get to the game, too many fans make it a horrible experience. It's Jr. Jay's Saturday, a day devoted to kids, and there are fans flipping the bird in the stands and on the jumbo-tron and usually horrible language with kids with earshot. I know it's a free country, but seriously.

And seriously, 16.75 for a hot dog, popcorn, and a bottle of water? 6.75 for an ice cream cone? Lucky I didn't have one of those $11 beers.

Plus, there were probably more Yankee fans in the stands than Jays fans.
Old September 30 2012, 05:51 PM   #810
Mr. Laser Beam
Fleet Admiral

Danny99 wrote: View Post
too many fans make it a horrible experience. It's Jr. Jay's Saturday, a day devoted to kids, and there are fans flipping the bird in the stands and on the jumbo-tron and usually horrible language with kids with earshot.
In Toronto? Really? I thought Canadians were supposed to be exceedingly polite.

I'd expect language like that in places like Philly, and in fact I witnessed that very thing. But not in Toronto...