RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 139,657
Members: 24,813
Currently online: 515
Newest member: SB118_Pavlova

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Sports and Fitness

Sports and Fitness It's football, not soccer.

Old May 20 2012, 05:41 PM   #166
Timby
GIVE ME YOUR FACE

Re: MLB Discussion - 2012 Season

Ar-Pharazon wrote: View Post
^ Yeah, the idea of Chip Carey being the color man was so much more exciting than Chip Carey being the color man.
Chip was play-by-play. Steve Stone was the color man.
Timby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 21 2012, 03:49 AM   #167
Ar-Pharazon
Rear Admiral

Huh. I must be confused about those roles.

I thought the color man did the BSing and the play by play man called more of the technical stuff.
Ar-Pharazon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 21 2012, 07:19 PM   #168
Tom Hendricks
Commodore

View Tom Hendricks's Twitter Profile

You are correct, I can't say who is or was the broadcast people for the Cubs. I have my own to deal with, Gary Cohen probably one of the better Play by Play guys. Ron Darling, great color man who adds much insight to the game and Keith Hernandez who had trouble stringing two sentences together and can't make a cogent point.

Ar-Pharazon wrote: View Post
Huh. I must be confused about those roles.

I thought the color man did the BSing and the play by play man called more of the technical stuff.

Of course I'm a creationist. I believe man created god.
Tom Hendricks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 24 2012, 01:59 AM   #169
Mr. Laser Beam
Fleet Admiral

View Mr. Laser Beam's Twitter Profile

I don't think John Sterling has ever been more annoying as he has been tonight. (I am blacked out from watching the game live, because the Royals are involved and I live in their territory. So it's radio-only tonight.) Some snippets of Sterlingisms from tonight's game:

- "Something short of Grand-ish"

- TWO instances of "An A-bomb from A-Rod"

- Probably the first baseball announcer I've ever heard who used the expression "béte noire", although not two minutes later he followed it up with "Bless their pea-pickin' little hearts"

- "The bases are bulging with Bombers".
It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire shakes, the shakes become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion.
Mr. Laser Beam is online now   Reply With Quote
Old May 24 2012, 05:47 PM   #170
Tom Hendricks
Commodore

I listen to a lot of broadcasts from around the league and John Sterling is the last of the showmen. I know he annoys a lot of people, I can only take him in short dosages. However, he is really fun to listen to when he is on his game. I will take him anytime over the travesty that is the television booth for the Yankees. With their ever changing lineup, I don't know who is worse, Ken Singleton or Michael Kay. Then the parade of ex-yankees who swing by the booth to be the color guy. While they are all better then Keith Hernandez, its still not great to listen to.

Mr. Laser Beam wrote: View Post
I don't think John Sterling has ever been more annoying as he has been tonight. (I am blacked out from watching the game live, because the Royals are involved and I live in their territory. So it's radio-only tonight.) Some snippets of Sterlingisms from tonight's game:

- "Something short of Grand-ish"

- TWO instances of "An A-bomb from A-Rod"

- Probably the first baseball announcer I've ever heard who used the expression "béte noire", although not two minutes later he followed it up with "Bless their pea-pickin' little hearts"

- "The bases are bulging with Bombers".

Old May 24 2012, 08:28 PM   #171
Mr. Laser Beam
Fleet Admiral

Tom Hendricks wrote: View Post
With their ever changing lineup, I don't know who is worse, Ken Singleton or Michael Kay. Then the parade of ex-yankees who swing by the booth to be the color guy. While they are all better then Keith Hernandez, its still not great to listen to.
I like the Yankees TV guys. I don't understand why people hate Michael Kay so much - it's not like he's an insufferable jackass like, say, Hawk Harrelson. Kay's not afraid to point out when the Yanks do something wrong. And he's not a homer - sure, he yells "See ya!" just a little bit louder if the Yanks hit a home run than if the other team does, but he doesn't openly insult the opposition, again like Hawk does.

Ken Singleton? Meh. He's not bad, but I like MK better. As for the color guys: Al Leiter really needs to switch to decaf.
It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire shakes, the shakes become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion.
Old May 24 2012, 08:35 PM   #172
Tom Hendricks
Commodore

Its not his calling, its more his attitude I don't like. I in no way think he is a homer, I agree with you on that whole heartily. I don't even hate him, just don't prefer to listen to him. I actually like to watch baseball with the sound off, like if you were at a game.

Tom Hendricks wrote: View Post
With their ever changing lineup, I don't know who is worse, Ken Singleton or Michael Kay. Then the parade of ex-yankees who swing by the booth to be the color guy. While they are all better then Keith Hernandez, its still not great to listen to.
I like the Yankees TV guys. I don't understand why people hate Michael Kay so much - it's not like he's an insufferable jackass like, say, Hawk Harrelson. Kay's not afraid to point out when the Yanks do something wrong. And he's not a homer - sure, he yells "See ya!" just a little bit louder if the Yanks hit a home run than if the other team does, but he doesn't openly insult the opposition, again like Hawk does.

Ken Singleton? Meh. He's not bad, but I like MK better. As for the color guys: Al Leiter really needs to switch to decaf.

Old May 27 2012, 03:14 AM   #173
Tom Hendricks
Commodore

I have been watching Bryce Harper and the Nats games since he came up and I must say, he is super fun to watch. He still looks like he's a jerk, but he plays real hard and in the right way. I can only imagine if he keeps this up, in 3 or 4 years he will be insufferably.

Old May 27 2012, 03:56 AM   #174
Mr. Laser Beam
Fleet Admiral

So what exactly the hell happened in the 9th inning in Boston on Friday night?
Old May 27 2012, 04:01 AM   #175
Alidar Jarok
Everything in moderation but moderation

In game? Could you be a bit more specific?
Old May 27 2012, 04:08 AM   #176
Mr. Laser Beam
Fleet Admiral

The little dust-up that happened when Morales hit Luke Scott with a pitch. I had the impression that there was more to it than that. Bobby V thought it was the coaches' fault. And it did appear that most of the brouhaha on the field was at least 'fed' by them. Is there some bad blood that I'm not aware of?
Old May 27 2012, 08:27 PM   #177
Tom Hendricks
Commodore

At the last moment, I decided to goto the Mets game. R.A. Dickey was pitching, good game with the Mets up 2-0 in the 7th when I left. However the reason I'm posting this is his choice of music when he bats. His song is the theme song from Game of Thrones. just put a smile on my face.

Old May 27 2012, 10:37 PM   #178
Mr. Laser Beam
Fleet Admiral

^ I like R.A. He may be the best pitcher the Mets have right now.

And he's had an interesting life. Have you read his book?
Old May 28 2012, 02:49 PM   #179
Tom Hendricks
Commodore

I agree, at 7-1 he has been great for us this year. I haven't read his book, I have it on my iPad ready to go. Its a few books away and I want to read Ron Darlings book first, so I will probably make it a double header and read R.A.'s after Ron's.

^ I like R.A. He may be the best pitcher the Mets have right now.

And he's had an interesting life. Have you read his book?

Old May 29 2012, 04:38 AM   #180
SmoothieX
Vice Admiral

R.A. is an interesting character. He's found a niche with the Mets, and I'd read his book sometime.

Santana will be their top pitcher once he fully recovers from the shoulder stuff, but could they score some fucking runs for the guy?!?

Their rotation is surprisingly decent. An ace with Santana, couple old farts off the scrap heap in Dickey and Batista, and young guys like Niese and Gee. Too bad Pelfrey got hurt.

As a team, they are playing pretty good ball with a lot of homegrown, unknown talent. Nickeas, Duda, Davis, Murphy, Parnell, Nieuwenheis (sp?), etc...
SmoothieX is offline   Reply With Quote