Retro Review: Shadows and Symbols
By: Michelle on Sep 27

Meyer: Revitalizing Star Trek
By: T'Bonz on Sep 26

Trek Costumes To Be Auctioned
By: T'Bonz on Sep 25

Hulu Snaps up Abrams-Produced Drama
By: T'Bonz on Sep 25

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Sports and Fitness

Sports and Fitness It's football, not soccer.

Old September 9 2012, 09:38 PM   #1
James Wright
Commodore

NASCAR

I noticed there's no NASCAR thread here, how does NASCAR stack up against others sports in terms of popularity?
With the chase for the Sprint Cup about to start who do you think will win it?

James
Old September 10 2012, 07:24 PM   #2
Danny99
Vice Admiral

Re: NASCAR

NASCAR is often overlooked on this board, as it is primarily a North American sport, with zero following in the rest of the world.

But here in a house where between it's members, Johnson, Gordon, Kenseth, Hamlin, and Keselowski have fans; the chase should be interesting.
Old September 10 2012, 07:51 PM   #3
MacLeod
Admiral

^As Danny said outside of the US it has little following. F1 tends to be king in many countries in terms of TV audiance (for Motor sports)
On the continent of wild endeavour in the mountains of solace and solitude there stood the citadel of the time lords, the oldest and most mighty race in the universe looking down on the galaxies below sworn never to interfere only to watch.
MacLeod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 11 2012, 01:41 PM   #4
Gil T.Azell
Rear Admiral

As long as one of those Felon Motor Sports teams (AKA HMS) doesn't win I'll be fine with it.
Old September 12 2012, 03:56 AM   #5
Briquettes
Rear Admiral

I used to be a *huge* NASCAR fan, but these days I find it really hard to get into it. Pretty much everything that has happened over the last decade has rubbed me the wrong way (The Chase, the COT, cutting back on road courses and short tracks and replacing them with cookie-cutter 1.5 mile D-Ovals, start and park teams, etc.) I still watch a lot of the races, but I doubt I could name half the drivers in the field.

I'll likely watch all of the Chase races, but as long as Jimmie effing Johnson doesn't win another cup I'll be happy.
Briquettes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 13 2012, 08:54 AM   #6
SmoothieX
Vice Admiral

Even in the US, it's a very regional thing. I live in the Northeast and no one gives a shit.
SmoothieX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 13 2012, 11:45 AM   #7
C.E. Evans
Vice Admiral

I'll watch NASCAR whenever it's on, but I generally just have it playing on the TV in the background while doing other stuff. Whether I'll watch to see who wins depends on how well my favorite drivers (Jeff Gordon and Dale Jr.) are doing in the final laps and whether they have a chance of winning (I like Tony Stewart too, but if Jimmie Johnson is the lead towards the end, I'm more likely to change the channel).
Old September 15 2012, 09:32 AM   #8
SmoothieX
Vice Admiral

I'm sure it has to be exciting to see a race or take part in one, but it translates poorly to TV. Kinda like tennis. I enjoy playing it, very badly I might add, and it good exercise, but unless it's the final of a grand slam event, I don't give a hoot about watching it.
SmoothieX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 24 2012, 03:39 AM   #9
Danny99
Vice Admiral

Okay, so explain the "Sprint Girl" to me. She stands in the background of the driver winning being interviewed, looking incredibly awkward (I've even see one shuffle around to make sure she was in the shot). They are dressed in the Sprint firesuit, which makes them look so bulky that it takes away 90% of any attractiveness factor. And as for advertising, I think Sprint is said 6,000 times throughout the broadcast, hell, the championship trophy is the "Sprint Cup!"
Old September 24 2012, 06:04 PM   #10
Briquettes
Rear Admiral

From what I understand, the Sprint Girls do PR stuff at the track, interact with fans as sort of a Sprint mascot, send out informational stuff using social media, and host featurettes that are posted to nascar.com.

I agree that it's stupid to have them stand behind the drivers in victory lane, but NASCAR is full of that stuff. It makes about as much sense as an obviously exhausted and dehydrated driver taking a big drink of coke as soon as they get out of the car.
Old September 29 2012, 06:52 AM   #11
Gil T.Azell
Rear Admiral

R.I.P. Chris Economaki
Chris Economaki dies at 91
Old October 9 2012, 01:40 AM   #12
Gil T.Azell
Rear Admiral

The Incident

Post race Interview

"..Finely tuned athlete"- Got to love his sense of humor!
At least he maned up and took the blame.

At least Tony practices what he preaches!
From May...
Old October 9 2012, 10:32 PM   #13
Briquettes
Rear Admiral

Both the drivers and the media appear to be under the impression that fans like pack racing at Daytona and Talladega because it leads to wrecks. That's only a part of it. People like pack racing at those tracks because it seems like the only time of the year where these guys actually race each other. The rest of the time they just play follow the leader and whoever makes it to the end without running out of gas wins. It's boring. I don't know the solution to the plate tracks, but I'd like to see the cars run smaller engines that wouldn't need to be restricted. Sure it would cost a lot of money, but it already takes 20 million bucks to run the cup schedule. What's another couple hundred thousand?
Old October 18 2012, 08:17 AM   #14
Drago-Kazov
Fleet Captain

My only exposure to Nascar was the movie: The Dale Earnhard Story.

It was some good old fashioned redneck fun.
Drago-Kazov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 19 2012, 04:55 AM   #15
Gil T.Azell
Rear Admiral

Congratulations to Brad Keselowski and Team Penske on winning the 2012 NASCAR Sprint Cup Series Championship.

Now thats a beer!

Last edited by Gil T.Azell; November 19 2012 at 07:23 AM.
Gil T.Azell is offline   Reply With Quote