Two New Starships Collection Releases
By: T'Bonz on Jul 17

Giacchino Tour Arrives In North America
By: T'Bonz on Jul 17

IDW Publishing October Star Trek Comics
By: T'Bonz on Jul 16

Cho As Romantic Lead
By: T'Bonz on Jul 16

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > TV & Media

TV & Media Non-Trek television, movies, books, music, etc.

Old September 11 2012, 07:57 AM   #616
Admiral_Young
Fleet Admiral

View Admiral_Young's Twitter Profile
Re: General Pro Wrestling News and Discussion Thread Part Deux!

Michael Cole is a pretty nice person in real life as reported in the other thread, he has actually despised his heel/pseudo heel role these past couple of years (also goes to show how damn good he has been at selling that role if this is the case). You could tell that tonight. I'm still surprised he didn't break down.

Ignoring the The Last Stand since 2011.
Admiral_Young is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 11 2012, 08:06 AM   #617
Mr Silver
Rear Admiral

I missed Raw last night and didn't catch up with the Lawler story until this morning (it's just coming up to 8am over here). It does sound like a heart related incident, but whatever the case, I really hope that Lawler doesn't plan on getting back in the ring, if this indeed turns out to be heart related. He has nothing else left to prove as a wrestler, having cemented himself as arguably the greatest southern territorial wrestler of all time and one of the greatest of all time overall.

When I first read the reports, I immediately began to think of Mitsuharu Misawa who fell into cardiac arrest in a match (Misawa had wrestled much longer than he should have from a physical point of view, having elected to stay on to help raise the profile of his his promotion - Pro Wrestling NOAH and to build new stars) and died following attempts to resuscitate him.

From what everyone is saying, Michael Cole handled things brilliantly, despite being emotionally rocked, a true testament to his professionalism. I hope King gets well soon and also sensibly reflects upon this recent incident objectively in regards to his level of physical performance in the future.
Mr Silver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 11 2012, 08:10 AM   #618
Admiral_Young
Fleet Admiral

Cole was classy tonight. The incident rightfully overshadowed otherwise the best Raw in a while. So much so that I pretty much watched all of it for the first time in the three hour format.

Old September 11 2012, 01:50 PM   #619
Icemizer
Fleet Captain

Cole did a great job last night kudos to him in all respects. Now might be a real good time to bring JBL back and just let Jerry retire to his throne in Memphis. JBL can take over the classic heal color spot and let Cole move into the face announcer role.
Icemizer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 11 2012, 03:10 PM   #620
DigificWriter
Rear Admiral

I wasn't aware that anything was amiss until Cole addressed the situation following the conclusion of the ADR/Tyson Kidd match and its aftermath. I don't know exactly how much physical time had passed since the incident happened, but it had to have been at least 5 minutes, if not longer.

"Ze director's cut is ze film you saw in ze theater."
DigificWriter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 11 2012, 07:30 PM   #621
Caligula
Vice Admiral

DigificWriter wrote: View Post
For anyone who truly follows wrestling/sports entertainment, it's easy to tell what is or is not scripted, and this was as real as real can be.
I wouldn't call it easy, at least not always. They've burned us many times with stunts that looked like they could be real, and with them hyping the heck out of the social media aspect of the show these days, it's hard not to question it. This would be just the sort of attention-getting story (tasteless or not) that would get their Twitter feed blazing.

That having been said, I hadn't seen the part of the show when Lawler fell ill and had to be taken to the hospital. Had I seen it beforehand, I would have recognized immediately that it was a real-life happening. I have since seen the video of the Kane & Daniel Bryan vs. the Prime Time Players match. The way they consciously did NOT film that section of the arena throughout the entire thing proved that it was real. That, plus Cole's demeanor throughout the rest of the show (he's not THAT good of an actor) and the terminology he used to assure the viewers at home that what they were watching wasn't a stunt.
Caligula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 11 2012, 09:37 PM   #622
DigificWriter
Rear Admiral

^ The lines do get blurred sometimes and fans do get fooled, but if something is storyline, they'll usually show it happening on camera, which is a good indicator of whether or not what we're seeing is kayfabe or not.

"Ze director's cut is ze film you saw in ze theater."
DigificWriter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 12 2012, 01:45 PM   #623
Mr Silver
Rear Admiral

Now that's it been confirmed that Jerry Lawler did indeed have a heart attack, I sincerely hope that he never steps back into the ring again. And I really hope that he abstains from wrestling by choice and not because this incident kills him.

It's still early days and there has been talk of the possibility of brain damage because of the time it took to resuscitate Lawler. The reality of the situation is, that had this heart attack occurred when Lawler wasn't at Raw, (where EMT's and doctors are present) they may not have been able to resuscitate him.

Ric Flair isn't exactly being very fucking helpful. Yes, Lawler believed he was apparently in good health, but Ric Flair shouldn't be advocating that 60+ years old men should still be wrestling. The adage that "Age is just a number" cannot possibly apply to something as physically strenuous as professional wrestling.
Old September 13 2012, 02:37 PM   #624
Ghost Bones
Captain

I've always loved Cole. It's silly seeing people suddenly deciding they like him after this, as if they believed it's all been real. Marks eh.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1...fi-and-r-truth

My latest, this time about the tag team championship match on Sunday.
Old September 14 2012, 02:39 AM   #625
Mr Silver
Rear Admiral

Jerry Lawler appears to be out of the woods. Great stuff, in fact he's tweeted a pic from hospital in which he is looking really good.
Old September 14 2012, 02:39 PM   #626
Admiral_Young
Fleet Admiral

That is great news about Lawler.

Jim Ross talks about WWE'13.

http://pwtorch.com/artman2/publish/q...le_65159.shtml

Old September 16 2012, 02:26 PM   #627
Mr Silver
Rear Admiral

Night of Champions predictions

- Zack Ryder will win the pre-show Battle Royale (He's the crowd favourite choice and the most progressive one, considering that another match with Santino will do nothing for Cesaro.)

- Antonio Cesaro will defeat Zack Ryder to retain the United States Championship (I want Cesaro to ditch the US title and bring back the European title, since it's more in keeping with his gimmick. Also, the US title shouldn't exist in WWE. The Intercontinental title accounts for the entire Americas, being a fusion of two titles - the WWF North American and WWF South American. Therefore, the Intercontinental covers the US as well as Canada and South America.)

- The Miz will defeat Sin Cara, Rey Mysterio and Cody Rhodes to retain the Intercontinental Championship (This has potential to be one of the matches of the night. Miz is back on a hot streak following one of the biggest demotions in WWE history. Mysterio and Sin Cara are also hot, following long periods of inactivity due to injury. Rhodes is bouncing between lukewarm and hot, but he's still doing enough to be perceived as a serious upper mid card/main event talent)

- Randy Orton will defeat Dolph Ziggler (Orton is one of few, if not the only wellness policy violator to retain their top card position following return from suspension, despite the fact that Ziggler going over clean, in the occasions prior to this match, would have served to elevate Ziggler and take nothing away from Orton)

- Sheamus will defeat Alberto Del Rio to retain the World Heavyweight Championship (Del Rio is in serious need of a series of big time victories, otherwise he faces the grave potential of being stuck in WWE upper mid carder territory)

- Dolph Ziggler will defeat Sheamus to win the World Heavyweight Championship (Sheamus hasn't really gone anywhere as WHC. Don't get me wrong, it's not strictly down to the way his character is booked, it's also due to the WHC being redundant)

- Layla will defeat Kaitlyn to retain the Divas Championship

- Kane and Daniel Bryan will defeat R Truth and Kofi Kingston to win the WWE Tag Team Championship (so begins Kane's 1000th reign as a tag champion)

- CM Punk will defeat John Cena to retain the WWE Championship (Cena will still get booed, regardless of whether he's in his hometown or not)
Old September 17 2012, 08:20 AM   #628
Caligula
Vice Admiral

^Almost a flawless prediction there, AdmiralM!
Caligula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 17 2012, 11:34 AM   #629
Admiral_Young
Fleet Admiral

I actually forgot that there was a WWE PPV last night. John Cena injured his ankle last night in his match against CM Punk. From the sounds of it, doesn't sound serious.

http://pwtorch.com/artman2/publish/q...le_65263.shtml

Last edited by Admiral_Young; September 17 2012 at 11:45 AM.
Old September 17 2012, 01:48 PM   #630
Icemizer
Fleet Captain

A pretty "meh" PPV last night with the exception of the last match. JBL started bad but picked up steam as he got back into the swing of things. The finish of the last match was just poor booking. Heyman at ring side gave the story nothing although his looks during the match were priceless.
Icemizer is offline   Reply With Quote