Star Trek #35 Preview
By: T'Bonz on Jul 8

New ThinkGeek Trek Apparel
By: T'Bonz on Jul 7

Star Trek Movie Prop Auction

Drexler: NX Engineering Room Construction

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > TV & Media

TV & Media Non-Trek television, movies, books, music, etc.

Old August 21 2012, 07:29 AM   #496
Ghost Bones
Captain

Re: General Pro Wrestling News and Discussion Thread Part Deux!

scnj wrote: View Post
I don't understand why Punk is being pushed as a heel. After putting down that misogynistic oxygen thief he couldn't be any more of a face in my eyes.
Who?

That, in my opinion, was the best episode of Raw for a very long time.
Old August 21 2012, 07:37 AM   #497
Admiral_Young
Fleet Admiral

View Admiral_Young's Twitter Profile

I turned it off after watching tout and Summer Slam weekend activity updates. This three hour format is going to kill WWE. Sigh.

Ignoring the The Last Stand since 2011.
Admiral_Young is online now   Reply With Quote
Old August 21 2012, 02:21 PM   #498
scnj
Captain

Ghost Bones wrote: View Post
scnj wrote: View Post
I don't understand why Punk is being pushed as a heel. After putting down that misogynistic oxygen thief he couldn't be any more of a face in my eyes.
Who?
Jerry Lawler.
scnj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 21 2012, 04:55 PM   #499
Ghost Bones
Captain

Ah, right. Yeah, I'd gladly kick him in the head all day long.
Old August 21 2012, 09:23 PM   #500
Mr Silver
Rear Admiral

I wonder if the real plan is to turn Punk into a "John Cena" type character who polarises the audience? WWE is certainly failing to turn the guy heel.

But then again, that's what happens when you resort to classic, stale and predictable heel-turn booking. Speaking of predictable and stale, whenever a tag-team match comes on, I go off and do something else, because the constant use of the same tired formula is rotting my brain:

- Face team in control.
- Heel team capitalises. (Usually cuts to adverts when match is a TV match)
- Face in peril, lots of heel team tagging in and out.
- Face in peril builds momentum, only to get caught just as he is about to tag his partner.
- Face gets the hot tag, partner cleans house on both members of heel team.
- A few momentum switches between heel and face teams.
- Either the face team takes the win or the heel team does.

Anybody who thinks that formula is still good has absolutely no right to call themselves a wrestling fan.
Mr Silver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 21 2012, 09:45 PM   #501
Satyrquaze
Vice Admiral

Ghost Bones wrote: View Post
Ah, right. Yeah, I'd gladly kick him in the head all day long.
Yes, but you're a heel. That makes it okay.

All kidding aside, I'd also gladly kick Lawler's mysogynist head in all day as well. You can set your watch by the frequecy in which he fills the air with blatantly sexist comments. And he's the face color commentator- which by some stretch of the imagination means he should be held accountable for what he says in the PG Era.

If WWE is future endeavoring guys for making analogies to Kobe Bryant being unstoppable when attempting rape, shouldn't Vince or Trips or someone tell Lawler to sell the impression that mysognyny is A-OK when it comes to the WWE's target audience?

True, I miss the days when Lawler would blurt out "Puppies!" every third word during Divas matches, but if we're going to be PG, lets not make fat jokes about Vickie unless we're also going to make them about Big Show, Brodus Clay, or Mark Henry.

Huh, I wonder why Lawler wouldn't want to do that...
Old August 21 2012, 10:08 PM   #502
Admiral_Young
Fleet Admiral

Lawler is ridiculous on commentary now. He's a shadow of his former self. I've been watching old clips from the Attitude era and that Lawler is hilarious. I miss that Lawler.

I think they're failing to turn Punk heel...because it is clear that the fans (I know I include myself in this) don't want a heel turn from Punk right now. They've done and abandoned so many things with Punk since the is he leaving story line now that it's sort of ridiculous. Are they attempting to do the authority story line with AJ now? It's all confusing because again...there's been a lack of consistency in any story line or program they're doing right now. They're starting to create apathy IMHO.

Micheal Cole is ridiculous as well, the continued flipping from heel to neutral. He does this all the time now.

I guess Jericho is now written off television. As we've discussed before I believe he did state that he is not contracted beyond Summer Slam.

Last edited by Admiral_Young; August 21 2012 at 11:45 PM.
Old August 22 2012, 12:22 AM   #503
scnj
Captain

Jericho's tour with Fozzy starts Friday. As for Michael Cole, I think he's good, but only when he has someone who works as hard as he does. There's an interview with Lawler where he says that JR would insist on him showing up early to run through the program, but he doesn't bother any more, he just tuns up for show time and wings it. He doesn't care any more and it shows in everything from his stupid comments to his tired delivery.

Cole is much better opposite someone like Josh Matthews, but Matthews doesn't have the personality to carry the 'A-show'. Personally, I'd like to see JBL or Paul Heyman make a return to commentary, or William Regal to be promoted from NXT or wherever they have him. Someone who still cares about the industry and can weigh in on the match with some actual insight.

The other thing they should do is blur the lines. A heel/face commentary team doesn't work when there are faces acting like heels (Sheamus) and heels who are over as faces (Daniel Bryan, CM Punk). I'm not suggesting they go back to play by play/colour, but maybe letting the commentators call things as they see it, and maybe root for the superstars they want to root for regardless of allegiance so we get a more balanced commentary.
Old August 22 2012, 12:27 AM   #504
Mr Silver
Rear Admiral

Instead of people chanting "Kobe Bryant", I'd rather they chanted "Vote for Linda" clap-clap-clap- clap clap. We might finally see the end of the crap caused by her senate campaign as she further distances herself from the company.
Old August 22 2012, 05:26 AM   #505
Ghost Bones
Captain

More self-promotion I'm afraid:
http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1...rs-shoot-promo

It's something I wanted to write for a while, and now's the perfect time. About Punk's character and that. Something I never really saw anyone else saying.
Old August 22 2012, 06:35 AM   #506
Sheep
Vice Admiral

Admiral M wrote: View Post
I wonder if the real plan is to turn Punk into a "John Cena" type character who polarises the audience? WWE is certainly failing to turn the guy heel.
I'm convinced the WWE had Punk kick Lawler in the head to turn him into a full heel, dropping any pretense that we were going to see him turn in a slow burn or that he might be a tweener. The WWE WILL make Punk the mustache-twirling heel in this feud because anything else would threaten Cena and his merchandise selling, make a wish giving persona. We certainly can't have any ambiguity about who the face is when someone's facing Cena--Cena must always be the biggest face on the roster. Look at all the ways the WWE tried to weaken the Rock leading up to Wrestlemania--thankfully the fans weren't buying into that crap.

Related...

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1...e-have-a-point

No idea how accurate this report is but that segment did seem a bit off in that Punk didn't get a chance to reply to Cena's comments before turning his attention back to Lawler. If it's true, I actually feel bad for Cena who apparently doesn't want to play the mega babyface anymore--can't really blame him as he's had this same boring persona for years now. I don't think he needs a full heel turn but even having him show some edge and not always being the chuckling superhero against his opponents would be an improvement.

Last edited by Sheep; August 22 2012 at 02:48 PM. Reason: EDIT: Added BR report about Cena possibly going off script at the end of Raw.
Sheep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 22 2012, 03:59 PM   #507
scnj
Captain

At this point, I'd be happy to see a return to the doctor of thuganomics. Yeah, it's really dumb and kind of lame, but at least it's a character. Right now he's just so vanilla.

Last edited by scnj; August 22 2012 at 04:17 PM.
Old August 22 2012, 09:02 PM   #508
Mr Silver
Rear Admiral

Sometimes I question myself why I continue to watch WWE, I usually arrive at the conclusion that when it's good, it's VERY good.

I was saying to Ghost Bones the other day that WWE creative seems to have a heavy presence of those religious nutters who spend all week talking about god and "being saved" and that kind of stuff and then go and watch simulated violence at the weekends. I say this because of very "black and white", "good and evil", booking practises - it's very rare that you come across a character in the middle ground.

All heels much cheat or play dirty nowadays, there is no "I'm actually out to prove that I'm the better wrestler and I'll do it fair and square, no matter how much the audience hates me" type characters kicking around.
Old August 22 2012, 10:04 PM   #509
Admiral_Young
Fleet Admiral

The frustrating part is that it hasn't been "very good" in a long time. It's had some great moments, but for the most part it has been mediocre. It most certainly has not been must see.

The middle ground character is what CM Punk has been all about for the past year. Even right now in the midst of this supposed heel turn, he's neutral (until the Lawler kick in the head) only demanding respect. I thought the segment with Cena hit it on the nail. He's been seeking respect since last July and aside from the fans still hasn't got yet (at least if you wanna look at it from character perspective). Also this is his second WWE Title reign. The first didn't go so well after WWE pushed Del Rio to the moon and it back fired on them. I'd say out of the opponents that Punk have faced only Jericho and Bryan have been any good. Now we're suddenly back to Cena. WWE's lack of depth in their WWE Title picture is sorely lacking, if we're already back to Cena.

I have a feeling that Admiral M is going to be proven right and Cena will take the title from Punk by year's end. We will have Rock Vs Cena 2.0 at Royal Rumble (even though I'd be much more interested in Punk Vs Rock).

Old August 22 2012, 11:30 PM   #510
Ghost Bones
Captain

This one's about Ziggler and why he should wait a bit to cash in.
http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1...ey-in-the-bank