Drexler: NX Engineering Room Construction
By: T'Bonz on Jul 7

New Trek Home Fashions
By: T'Bonz on Jul 4

Star Trek Pop-Ups Book Preview
By: T'Bonz on Jul 3

Cho: More On Selfie
By: T'Bonz on Jul 3

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > TV & Media

TV & Media Non-Trek television, movies, books, music, etc.

Old August 13 2012, 11:28 PM   #451
Mr Silver
Rear Admiral

Re: General Pro Wrestling News and Discussion Thread Part Deux!

^ Actually, Hulk Hogan was quite the talented technician before the WWF got a hold of him. If in doubt:

In this match, he works a very solid mat based style that is very much at the level with what one would expect from a top NJPW heavyweight. At the end of the day, the WWF was willing to pay Hogan ludicrous amounts of money to do the same basic routine, 200+ days a year for nearly a decade.
Mr Silver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 14 2012, 12:32 AM   #452
Satyrquaze
Vice Admiral

Well, yes. He was quite good before he was relevant. The relevancy window can be quite the fickle bitch as Hogan should have figured out in 1998.
Old August 14 2012, 12:43 AM   #453
Mr Silver
Rear Admiral

One of the biggest problems with guys like Hogan is their muscle mass, which works against them. Sure, they look ripped and "larger than life", but their conditioning suffers, meaning shorter matches or paced matches (not like paced matches between well conditioned wrestlers that are paced to add an idea of competition and equal matching) that leave plenty of time for restholds.

In that video, Hulk Hogan is showing the signs of diminished conditioning due to his increasing muscle mass. It was most evident when he got to the WWF though. In my opinion, the gold standard of wrestling physiques is the Lou Thesz style (think the lean figure of Randy Orton combined with healthy full body muscle development). Thesz's conditioning was second to none in his heyday.
Old August 14 2012, 05:33 AM   #454
Sheep
Vice Admiral

Satyrquaze wrote: View Post
Ghost Bones wrote: View Post
It's just a shame Miz isn't Y2J in the ring.
I've seen guys who are far worse in the ring who have been pushed to the moon.
To be fair I don't think Khali was pushed to the moon, as big of a waste of roster space as he may be.

As for tonight's Raw, I HATED how they made Shawn look like a completely helpless little bitch. This is Shawn Michaels, for fuck's sake, not some helpless manager or valet. We get it--Brock is a big, bad dude. You can get that point across without completely burying an icon who can still work a better match than 75% of the roster. It's simply not believable that Shawn would practically shit himself like he did tonight at the mere possibility of Brock tapping him on the shoulder.

I did rather enjoy the Punk/Bryan/Cena/Show four way even if Cena was completely outclassed trying to imitate Punk--that knee in the corner was a joke. The Jericho/Ziggler/Miz three way was also pretty good.

I also find it a bit odd that Santino/Cesaro is relegated to the pre-PPV YouTube match considering how few other matches there are. What are they going to pull out of their asses to fill up the three hours? That Jersey Shore idiot pretending to be a DJ?
Old August 14 2012, 05:38 AM   #455
Admiral_Young
Fleet Admiral

View Admiral_Young's Twitter Profile

So they're using Shawn again in the Trips/Brock feud? That seems kind of lame. I'm kind of surprised they didn't use him in Trips feud against Kevin Nash.

It would appear that they're continuing to use Santino's matches to push and promote their youtube deal as I mentioned before. Just as UFC has matches on Facebook, this is what WWE has decided to do.

Ignoring the The Last Stand since 2011.

Last edited by Admiral_Young; August 14 2012 at 08:43 AM.
Admiral_Young is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 14 2012, 04:56 PM   #456
Icemizer
Fleet Captain

Have we placed some odds on how long the three hour deal will last? Once MNF starts I can see a huge drop off in the numbers from hour one to hour two unless they start having a match run through that time, and I'm not talking Sin Cara and Tensai.
I am starting to enjoy Ryback a bit but only from a comedy perspective. His arm flapping has to be, without a doubt, one of the worst things I have ever seen. Makes the Bushwackers arm swinging look legendary. FEED. ME. MORE! ok I like that part but when will they. When will they have someone else run out after one of his matches and try to take him on? Still waiting.
Icemizer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 14 2012, 05:27 PM   #457
Sheep
Vice Admiral

Aside from 1001 which was inexplicably bad (maybe due to the fire?), I've actually been enjoying the three hour Raws even if I don't agree with all the booking or angles. Then again I also skip commercials so it doesn't wind up being three hours long.

Yeah, Ryberg is a huge waste of time. This is 2012 and a huge unbeatable monster who grunts and beats up an endless stream of jobbers who weigh 130 lbs. when wet isn't going to cut it. Ever.
Old August 14 2012, 11:55 PM   #458
Mr Silver
Rear Admiral

I wonder if WWE has some kind of chart in the creative room which they use to group wrestlers relative to the kind of push they are receiving? That's a thought, imagine a circle with a "bullseye", an inner ring and an outer ring. The Bullseye would have it's own seperate inner ring in which the golden names such as John Cena and Triple H are placed. And of course, some names wouldn't even make it into the circle, they'd be messily placed on the outside so with that in mind:

Inner Bullseye (golden zone)

John Cena
Triple H
The Undertaker
The Rock
Brock Lesnar

Outer Bullseye

CM Punk
Randy Orton
Sheamus
Alberto Del Rio
Daniel Bryan
Chris Jericho
Big Show

Inner Ring

AJ
Dolph Ziggler
Cody Rhodes
Kane
Damien Sandow
The Miz
Wade Barrett
Ryback
Rey Mysterio
Brodus Clay

Outer Ring

Antonio Cesaro
Santino Marella
Primo
Epico
Sin Cara
Kofi Kingston
R Truth
Titus O'Neil
Darren Young
Christian
Layla
Kelly Kelly
Beth Phoenix
Eve Torres
Heath Slater

Outside The Circle

Alex Riley
Camacho
Curt Hawkins
Drew Mcintyre
Ezekiel Jackson
Hunico
Justin Gabriel
Rosa Mendes
Ted Dibiase
Kaitlyn
JTG
Johnny Curtis
Mason Ryan
Michael McGillicutty
Tensai
Tyson Kidd
Tyler Reks
Jack Swagger
Trent Barretta
Yoshi Tatsu
Zack Ryder
Alicia Fox
Natalya
Tamina Snuka

Last edited by Mr Silver; August 15 2012 at 11:51 AM.
Old August 15 2012, 12:02 AM   #459
Mr Silver
Rear Admiral

If something like this does exist, maybe WWE should make it public? Instead of the Power 25, they could have this and then fans could decide for themselves if WWE was worth watching that week based upon the position of their favourite superstars in the eyes of the creative team.

I am now also perplexed as the absolutely abysmal Tout segments. Last night was awful, I swear that the people who had their Tout's shown only do it so they can get on TV. How the fuck can any adult just "go along" like that with the WWE storylines as if they were real? Even hardcore fans of soap operas and dramas talk about it in such a way that they know that it's not real (praising the quality of the actors, etc).

Why can't they just pose questions like "Who do you think will win?" or "Who would you like to see as the next WWE Champion?" But no, instead it's stuff like "Do you think that Booker T made the right decision in calling off the Summerslam match?" EVERYBODY knows that it's going to go ahead regardless, yet some people are still treating it as if it's reality.

It's insanity!
Old August 15 2012, 04:23 AM   #460
Admiral_Young
Fleet Admiral

Vince has shown that he doesn't really care what we think of the product, and if he does he only makes moderate adjustments occasionally to "appease us". I told you guys that Zack Ryder would be a fad, and that his US Title reign would be a flash in the pan. To be that interactive with us would be extremely ambitious in this point of time for the WWE and I don't see that happening any time soon. They think they know what we want, but it's rare that they actually know. Punk's promos on this are right on the money. I'd be happy with a change from the safe booking, but I have waited long enough for this to change, which is why I've gone back to not watching again, because I know it won't.

Old August 15 2012, 06:51 PM   #461
Mr Silver
Rear Admiral

Summerfest!

Brock Lesnar to defeat Triple H
CM Punk to retain the WWE Championship against John Cena and The Big Show
Dolph Ziggler to cash in and defeat Sheamus for the World Heavyweight Championship
Sheamus to retain the World Heavyweight Championship against Alberto Del Rio
Chris Jericho to defeat Dolph Ziggler
The Miz to retain the Intercontinental Championship against Rey Mysterio
Titus O'Neil and Darren Young to defeat R Truth and Kofi Kingston for the Tag Team titles
Daniel Bryan to defeat Kane
Santino Marella to retain the United States Championship against Antonio Cesaro

- CM Punk will probably complete the heel transition at Summerslam or in the next couple of Raw's following the PPV.
- John Cena will probably remain in the WWE Championship picture.
- Dolph Ziggler, Sheamus and Alberto Del Rio will feud over the WHC, if Ziggler cashes in.
- I could see Brock Lesnar turning face at the PPV.
- Santino Marella will probably lose the US title to Antonio Cesaro at one of the Raw's following Summerslam.
- Chris Jericho is leaving and not returning until sometime around the new year.
- I don't expect the Prime Time Players' tag title reign to last long.
- Ryback will probably make an appearance at the PPV, possibly against Jinder Mahal.
- Miz and Rey will probably continue their feud for at least one more PPV.
- I could see Brock Lesnar starting a program with Randy Orton (if the Viper turns heel) or Undertaker (if he feels that he can do an additional PPV appearance along with WM). It's likely that such a program would be held off until Wrestlemania though.

Thoughts?
Old August 15 2012, 10:28 PM   #462
Satyrquaze
Vice Admiral

^Indeed, The Summerfest!

I agree with many of your points...
  • CM Punk to retain, probably through heelish/tweener means.
  • Brock to defeat Triple H. Because, he can't be the scary monster heel if he keeps losing (see: Kane).
  • Chris Jericho to defeat Dolph Ziggler. Because too much has been made of Jericho's losing streak.
  • Sheamus to retain cleanly.
  • Dolph Ziggler to cash in the MitB contract and win the WHC.
  • Miz to retain the IC Championship.
  • Kofi and Truth to retain.
  • Kane to defeat Daniel Bryan. I make this prediction being very high on Bryan, and not giving two shits about Kane.
  • Antonio Cesaro (who?) to defeat Santino Marella for the US Championship.
Old August 16 2012, 02:58 AM   #463
Sheep
Vice Admiral

Satyrquaze wrote: View Post
[*]Antonio Cesaro (who?) to defeat Santino Marella for the US Championship.[/LIST]
Claudio Castagnoli pre-WWE. He actually looked pretty impressive against Christian in last week's Smackdown:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=znn5rCW6Xn0
Old August 16 2012, 04:24 AM   #464
Satyrquaze
Vice Admiral

^yeah, I have to admit, he's got skills.
Old August 16 2012, 08:10 AM   #465
Admiral_Young
Fleet Admiral

I pretty much concur with your guys picks for once. LOL.