Greenwood Cast In Truth
By: T'Bonz on Oct 28

Cumberbatch In Talks For Strange
By: T'Bonz on Oct 28

Two New Trek Bobble Heads
By: T'Bonz on Oct 27

Meaney On Playing Historical Figure Durant
By: T'Bonz on Oct 27

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > TV & Media

TV & Media Non-Trek television, movies, books, music, etc.

Old July 31 2012, 05:05 PM   #391
Satyrquaze
Vice Admiral

Re: General Pro Wrestling News and Discussion Thread Part Deux!

Sorry, I guess I just have the impression that if TNA can do it well, then WWE can do it better. The Women's division is one of the few areas where that theory is proven incorrect.
Old July 31 2012, 05:23 PM   #392
Mr Silver
Rear Admiral

Satyrquaze wrote: View Post
Sorry, I guess I just have the impression that if TNA can do it well, then WWE can do it better. The Women's division is one of the few areas where that theory is proven incorrect.
WWE could have the best women's wrestling in the world if they wanted to. They have the means, resources and the connections to do so (and in rapidly too), but they simply have no interest in pushing female wrestling as a dominant part of their product.

Would there be a market for it, if WWE were to allocate a two hour TV show solely for female wrestling each week, quadruple their female perfomers and book female PPV matches (particularly your feud-ending/Wrestlemania moment/long awaited encounter style matches) as being just as serious and intense as those of their male counterparts?

Perhaps not right away, given the familiarity of the WWE product and WWE's inability to stick with something with a lot of things unless they are a runaway success.
Mr Silver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 31 2012, 06:06 PM   #393
Sheep
Vice Admiral

Admiral_Young wrote: View Post
Tout has to be about the dumbest segment ever. It irritates me more than the trending updates all night long. I think I'm going to back to not watching for a while again.
Haven't seen last night's Raw yet. Please tell me they didn't expand the Tout segments beyond the ~1 minute they devoted to it the past few weeks--even at that short length those things were appallingly awful.
Old July 31 2012, 07:40 PM   #394
Mr Silver
Rear Admiral

^ Well, one of the reasons WWE has added an extra hour to Raw is so they can expand their social networking media content. That includes things like Tout (which is appallingly awful like you say) and voting for matches via Twitter.

Interestingly enough, the choices given for the Sheamus vs. Daniel Bryan match last night were a Street Fight a Falls Count Anywhere or a No Holds Barred match - which are all essentially the same thing. Naturally, it was done this way so they could both perform the same things that they had rehearsed with minimal alterations. It would be more beneficial for them to rehearse three very different matches in the week leading up to the event and not just on the day.
Old August 1 2012, 05:19 AM   #395
Admiral_Young
Fleet Admiral

View Admiral_Young's Twitter Profile

Admiral M you forgot how Kelly Kelly was hired...which if true is an amusing story. I believe it was Big Johnny who hired her while flipping through a modelling magazine, but the kicker is that he actually hired the wrong person, not who he was instructed to hire...if the story is true. I can't remember who told it, but I thought man he's an even bigger moron than I thought.

Booker T is the new Smackdown General Manager. I have to say, what I saw of AJ makes me think this will be a great move. Both of them interesting.

Ignoring the The Last Stand since 2011.

Last edited by Admiral_Young; August 1 2012 at 05:31 AM.
Admiral_Young is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 1 2012, 02:12 PM   #396
Satyrquaze
Vice Admiral

Booker T, Noice.
Old August 1 2012, 04:41 PM   #397
Sheep
Vice Admiral

Good choice on Booker T but I'm guessing this means he won't be on the Smackdown announce crew anymore? If so, that kind of sucks.
Old August 1 2012, 04:58 PM   #398
Mr Silver
Rear Admiral

^ They definitely need a colour guy to fill Booker's vacated spot. Sure, Cole fills that role somewhat on Smackdown, but it's not his style and he's so much better suited to play-by-play.

If they can keep him around, I could see Paul Heyman getting the gig.
Old August 2 2012, 02:43 AM   #399
Admiral_Young
Fleet Admiral

Would Heyman tolerate Vince shouting in his ear piece though the entire show? I dunno. He did colour commentary with J.R. during the Alliance story line I believe.

I actually miss Jonathan Coachman. I on occasion when still awake listen to his ESPN radio show that he co-hosts. He's great.

Old August 2 2012, 03:15 AM   #400
Mr Silver
Rear Admiral

Admiral_Young wrote: View Post
Would Heyman tolerate Vince shouting in his ear piece though the entire show? I dunno. He did colour commentary with J.R. during the Alliance story line I believe.
Yes he was the colour commentator from when Jerry Lawler briefly left up until near the end of the Alliance storyline.

In terms of the ear piece shouting thing, apparently the colour guys don't get it as much as the play-by-play guys. I assume you're aware of the talk about how Vince essentially uses Michael Cole as his mouthpiece, not only this but Cole is also the guy that the business team communicate most of their stuff to, or so it would seem, given that Cole spouts 95% of the social media nonsense.

Paul Heyman though would be perfect. WWE knows that he can get guys over and that he's very a much a businessman too (which Vince likes). He's also crisp and articulate in his delivery and has that kind of voice that one associates with a commentator. Furthermore, he's experienced having worked in commentary on numerous occasions in the past and is deeply skilled in playing a character - which WWE loves on their commentary teams. He's also more new school than old school (aka "not Southern" - which WWE has shown a disdain for on numerous occasions, just ask JR) and is very up to date with popular culture and the internet (which WWE has also taken a massive liking to in recent years)

Given Heyman's volatility and the fact that he could easily walk out on such a position with no problem, it stands to reason that Vince and the other Gorilla position occupants would be much more easygoing with him.
Old August 2 2012, 03:35 AM   #401
Admiral_Young
Fleet Admiral

Trying to think of a Lord of the Rings joke comparing Cole to the Mouth of Sauron but can't think of a good one. Yeah I remember reading in the peak of Cole's heel character (when he was really over with the fans and getting tons of heat last year) that he really absolutely hated playing the character and felt bad for all the rotten things he had to do and was actually exhausted and needed a break. Of course he never got one and like John Cena soldiered on. Apparently he's a really nice guy in real life.

Heyman as a colour guy on either show would be awesome IMO. I'd forgot about when Jerry "left" (didn't he quit?) back in I think it was March of 2001.

Old August 2 2012, 08:35 AM   #402
SJSharksfan39
Admiral

View SJSharksfan39's Twitter Profile

I remember when Heymen was the Color guy with JR during the Alliance storyline. I thought he was great and he would be great if he came back. Smackdown kind of needs that heel guy (I don't think Cole is it anymore since he's calmed down quite a bit) to make their announce team a little better than it has been. Either that or just that "It" star, which Heyman is.
Old August 4 2012, 08:16 PM   #403
Mr Silver
Rear Admiral

I've been thinking about WWE's latest craze - Tout,

It seems that although WWE's presence on Twitter and Facebook is as strong as any entertainment giant, they are looking for something that they can absolutely dominate with, so with that in mind they partnered with Tout.

What puzzles me is the huge potential for failure that comes with partnering with a social media Z-lister like Tout. Let's face it, Tout is no match for Twitter and Facebook in the social media market. Twitter takes the crown for micro posting and virals (trends for example), whereas Facebook dominates everything else and is the undisputed king of the social networking media market. WWE must be aware of the potential to lose money, which is why I'm surprised that they haven't taken a more active partnership with Twitter and Facebook.

It was announced today that TNA became the first entertainment company to stream live to Twitter, that's got to enrage WWE surely, that their closest alternative has beaten them to the punch. Surely this is a sign of WWE's focus on Tout above all other social networking media outlets?
Old August 4 2012, 09:38 PM   #404
Admiral_Young
Fleet Admiral

It's very possible part of the deal with Tout was so that Tout could use WWE's own social media awareness to promote Tout. I certainly didn't know what the hell it was before WWE started using it in segments for filler. It's also possible that a deal with twitter or facebook would be too much for Vince (I know unlikely but possible). They have the deal in place with youtube and did the US Title match a couple months ago on Youtube...but I think they need to be more like UFC and use this medium more. Don't get me started on their official superstar facebook pages. Like I said a couple weeks ago...trying to watch Raw spoiler free and being on facebook at the same time is near impossible LOL with the amount of constant updates they do ON ALL their pages!!! LOL.

Old August 5 2012, 09:23 PM   #405
Mr Silver
Rear Admiral

WWE could essentially kill several birds with one stone - the stone being Triple H's talent department. Here's how:

WWE sends out scouts to several colleges throughout the USA (maybe even abroad if they are willing) to look at athletes who are finishing their collegiate sporting career. The scouts will have clear guidelines what to look at (however WWE is feeling really, one day it might be well toned, movie star types like Alberto Del Rio - the other day it might be back to the generic 6,4+/240lbs+ of muscle types).

Anyway, once the scouts have singled out several candidates, they will report back to WWE's upper echelon who will then choose the candidates who they feel have the most potential. Each of the candidates (who will have expressed prior interest in becoming a WWE wrestler) will be called up to meet upper management, who will then single out those who most fit their "idea" of a WWE superstar. Ideally, each of the picks should have some background in performing arts or at least display an aptitude for it.

With the new signings, WWE will open up a new developmental location that not only contains the best wrestling teachers they can find, but also the best drama tutors and voice coaches, etc that they can find. At the same time, WWE will announce plans for a reality show where the new signings will be shown receiving their wrestling training, etc (much more in depth than Tough Enough) over a several months long period. There won't be a winner in the traditional sense since WWE has signed each of the individuals with the intention that they will all go on to become WWE superstars. Rather, the "grand prize" will be a decent beginning push (non-kayfabe prize) and a shot at one of the titles (kayfabe prize).

The contestants will be encouraged to attract fans through Twitter, Tout and Facebook and the social networking media will play a big part in the show also. In order to realistically train to a high level, the show will have to run for 6 months at least with weekly episodes (so the contestants can train as normal during the week, just like the FCW talent).

So with all that put into play,

*WWE could exponentionally increase their social networking media presence.
*Create a run away hit for their network that brings together reality, insider content, wrestlig and drama.
*Create several new talents that each have a background in athletics and collegiate sports, have received extensive training in acting and public speaking along with their training in wrestling and who have developed a character via the show before even being called up to the main roster.