Pegg/Wright Trilogy In The Works
By: T'Bonz on Aug 20

Star Trek: The Compendium Rebate Details
By: T'Bonz on Aug 20

Gold Key Archives Volume 2
By: T'Bonz on Aug 19

Takei Documentary Wins Award
By: T'Bonz on Aug 19

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > TV & Media

TV & Media Non-Trek television, movies, books, music, etc.

Old June 12 2012, 11:04 PM   #211
Admiral_Young
Fleet Admiral

View Admiral_Young's Twitter Profile
Re: General Pro Wrestling News and Discussion Thread Part Deux!

Actually, I've been wondering if Linda's campaign has been the reason why things have been so tame for the last several months? Safe booking. Erratic story telling and inconsistent programs? Maybe this will change after the election is over with?

Ignoring the The Last Stand since 2011.
Admiral_Young is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 12 2012, 11:58 PM   #212
Mr Silver
Rear Admiral

Admiral_Young wrote: View Post
Actually, I've been wondering if Linda's campaign has been the reason why things have been so tame for the last several months? Safe booking. Erratic story telling and inconsistent programs? Maybe this will change after the election is over with?
Nope, Jack shit changed following Linda's last campaign. If anything I think the big WWE cleaning job that coincided with Linda announcing that she was running for senate was done at that point to add brownie points to Linda's campaign. The clean up had been coming for a long time.

Vince and Linda spent tens of millions of dollars on the last campaign which very likely had some financial ramifications for WWE. This time WWE are safer because the PG era has provided a decent amount of revenue, which makes you wonder if the plan was always for Linda to have at least two cracks at the world of politics.
Mr Silver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 13 2012, 02:00 AM   #213
barnaclelapse
Commodore

Send a message via AIM to barnaclelapse

One run was more than enough for my stomach.
barnaclelapse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 14 2012, 09:54 AM   #214
Admiral_Young
Fleet Admiral

I didn't even know such a thing was going on right now.

http://pwtorch.com/artman2/publish/q...le_62387.shtml

Old June 16 2012, 06:37 AM   #215
Mr Silver
Rear Admiral

Can't say I'm really THAT interested in No Way Out, but nonetheless:

Brodus Clay to defeat David Otunga
Layla to defeat Beth Phoenix
Santino to defeat Ricardo Rodriguez
Sheamus to defeat Dolph Ziggler
Ryback to defeat 2 Jobbers
Christian to defeat Cody Rhodes
CM Punk to defeat Kane and Daniel Bryan
John Cena to defeat Big Show
Old June 16 2012, 09:49 AM   #216
StarTrek1701
Fleet Captain

Sheep wrote: View Post
The chances of a return to Attitude era style writing/antics or anything similar are non-existent with Linda running for Senate again. They're not going to do anything to show the WWE in a controversial light that would give her opponents soundbyte fodder. Even Vince seemed oddly subdued last night.
And that's what's killing the WWE in the first place. They should realize their product is what the fans want, not political bullshit. Maybe in the near future Levesque and his wife might return the WWE to the late 90's glory. One can still hope.
StarTrek1701 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 16 2012, 04:59 PM   #217
Admiral_Young
Fleet Admiral

No Way Out sounds like it's going to be one of the most disappointing PPV's of the year with the card they have. My picks echo Admiral M's except I think Ortunga/Clay will end in a DQ. They'll play up Clay's leg there after the attack on Smackdown. I wouldn't be totally surprised to see Big Show beat John Cena...Big Johnny could interfere in the match somehow. I can see them dragging out this program. Punk will retain. So will Christian. I wonder if Brock will make an appearance? Probably not.

Old June 16 2012, 06:25 PM   #218
Sheep
Vice Admiral

Admiral M wrote: View Post
Can't say I'm really THAT interested in No Way Out, but nonetheless:

Brodus Clay to defeat David Otunga
Layla to defeat Beth Phoenix
Santino to defeat Ricardo Rodriguez
Sheamus to defeat Dolph Ziggler
Ryback to defeat 2 Jobbers
Christian to defeat Cody Rhodes
CM Punk to defeat Kane and Daniel Bryan
John Cena to defeat Big Show
I agree with all of these except for the last two.

I'm fully convinced the WWE is going to do something completely unexpected to finish the Punk/Bryan/Kane match. I have no clue what that is but I'll be very surprised if the match ends cleanly with Punk or Bryan pinning Kane which, let's face it, are the only ways this match ends cleanly.

For Cena/Show, I have Big Show defeating Cena with interference from Ace. Cena will do his usual routine of being "fired" for half an episode before he comes back at the very end of Monday's Raw. I haven't been keeping up too closely with spoilers so I have no idea if Vince will appear at No Way Out but I'm venturing that he'll appear on Raw to deal with the aftermath instead.
Old June 16 2012, 06:35 PM   #219
Admiral_Young
Fleet Admiral

Punk seems like a no brainer. With the WWE Title redesign on the horizon, and WWE showing no confidence in anyone else right now, I think we're going to have a nice long run with Punk as champion, which is just fine by me. I think he's the most over face champion we've had in a very long time.

Last edited by Admiral_Young; June 16 2012 at 07:01 PM.
Old June 16 2012, 06:55 PM   #220
Sheep
Vice Admiral

Admiral_Young wrote: View Post
With the WWE Tittle redesign on the horizon, and WWE showing no confidence in anyone else right now
Let's not forget Sheamus who continues to be over-pushed down our throats for some reason. I instinctively reach to change the channel every time that pasty, no-selling idiot appears on my screen.

And we all know Vince has a gigantic boner for Ryback, who's somehow already managed to become stale with the endless stream of 150 lb. jobbers he's squashed two-at-a-time.
Old June 16 2012, 07:03 PM   #221
Admiral_Young
Fleet Admiral

I shouldn't say they have no confidence. Bryan and Sheamus are on the radar, and I wouldn't really mind if Daniel Bryan took the strap off Punk, I just don't think that is going to happen for a while. I don't see Punk dropping the title until later this year, if at all. He's surpassed Mike's streak for longest current title reign now...so as long as fans are still invested in him, I think creative will keep the strap on him. I suspect Triple H is behind Sheamus' recent push.

Old June 16 2012, 08:03 PM   #222
Mr Silver
Rear Admiral

I find it hard not to mentally apply Hornswoggle's music whenever Sheamus wins a match. The guy went from being an ass kicker who made WWECW exciting during his brief tenure on the brand to becoming one of the fastest WWE Champions of all time (defeating Cena nonetheless) and after a prolonged stale period WWE repackages him as this happy go lucky face who finishes his opponents by doing a dancing kick into them. It's hard to take his serious promos seriously when he goofs around so much.

As for Ryback, I'm convinced things went down like this:

Vince: I'm concerned about the big guy/normal guy ratio, get me the biggest possible guy you can find that we have under contract.
Smithers: That would be Ryan Braddock sir, one of your FCW/NXT farm talents and cannon fodder for John Cena during the Nexus storyline.
Vince: Right, we're going to go with Ryback which was something he used to be known by as it's a mononym and it makes it easier for us to apply prefixes. I want the seamstresses to find him a spandex one piece that is a couple of sizes too small so we can stress how awesome this guy's physique is. We're going to put him on a undefeated streak where he will utterly dominate and seldom speak
Creative Goon: Vince, WCW already did that with Goldberg and you kn... (cut off)
Vince: Shuuuuuttuuup! This guy is bigger, stronger and unknown, we can do whatever we like with him and the fans will have to buy into it, we'll have him squash two of the smallest local guys we can find each week and we'll have him do a Samoan drop with a bit of theatrics as a finish - simple and something we can perhaps call the "Muscle Buster" to capitalise on his physique
Creative Goon 2: But Vince, the muscle buster isn't how you describe, it's actually a.. (cut off)
Vince: Yooooouuuu'rrrrreee Firrrrrreeeeeed!
Creative Goon: Damn and he was only two days away from retirement...
Old June 16 2012, 09:32 PM   #223
Admiral_Young
Fleet Admiral

Stephanie should be involved in that conversation since she's head of creative, but otherwise that probably was close I saw somewhere that Goldberg was asked about Crimson calling him out on Impact last week. He replied "Crimson who?" He was also asked about Rybeck...I don't think he cares one iota.

I'm amazed that fans accepted and embraced face Sheamus so much. He was such a dominate and hated heel, then boom after he was in the dog house in 2010 and some of 2011, they repackage him as a face and he's well embraced by the fandom. I've even marked out a bit for him here and there. The attempted record thing notwithstanding. But then of course they did the same thing with Orton and others.

Old June 17 2012, 02:20 AM   #224
CaptainWacky
Rear Admiral

Anyone else think No Way Out will end with Vince screwing Cena and helping Big Show win? Even though that would make no fucking sense?
Old June 17 2012, 02:46 AM   #225
Admiral_Young
Fleet Admiral

The way things have been going lately...that would not be surprising.