RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 139,709
Members: 24,833
Currently online: 471
Newest member: kamkaran

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > TV & Media

TV & Media Non-Trek television, movies, books, music, etc.

Old April 1 2012, 04:03 AM   #1
Aldo
Admiral

Question about Netflix and gaming consoles.

When I lived with my roommate this last year he had Netflix on his 360. He was able to use his subscription and put Netflix on my 360 as well.

Now that I'm living with my folks, I'm planning on getting Netflix for myself. My question is, can I allow my folks to have Netflix on their Wii? Or did it only work before because we both had Xbox's?
Old April 1 2012, 04:09 AM   #2
Brikar99
Rear Admiral

Re: Question about Netflix and gaming consoles.

I think your Netflix account can be tied to a certain number of devices. I don't know how many, but you should just be able to log into your account on their Wii.
Old April 1 2012, 04:12 AM   #3
Gary Mitchell
Admiral

I watch Netflix on my Blu Ray player, my PS3, my pc, my laptop and my Android tablet so I assume that if you are in the same house your parents will be able to use it on their Wii.
Old April 1 2012, 04:49 AM   #4
Kelso
Vice Admiral

View Kelso's Twitter Profile

I have friends who share a password and only use one account, despite not living in the same house. You can log into your account from anywhere... or anyone with your password can. I don't condone this, of course. Netflix offers a fantastic service at a very reasonable price. I see no reason to rip them off.

But logging in from one house with multiple devices is fine.
Kelso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 1 2012, 05:20 AM   #5
Timby
GIVE ME YOUR FACE

Kelso wrote: View Post
One quick note, though -- you can only be logged into one account from one device at a time. You can't be watching on an Xbox in the living room while someone else is watching on a laptop in the bedroom, so on and so forth. But, yes, Netflix is available on just about every device under the sun: We use it on Xbox, Wii, iPad, phones and laptops.
Timby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 1 2012, 06:49 AM   #6
brian577
Captain

The number of devices you can use simultaneously is tied to the number discs you rent with the service I believe. If you have streaming only or single disc it's one device 2 discs 2 devices and so on. I have a two disc service and my family regular uses two devices at the same time.
brian577 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 1 2012, 08:26 AM   #7
Aldo
Admiral

brian577 wrote: View Post
The number of devices you can use simultaneously is tied to the number discs you rent with the service I believe. If you have streaming only or single disc it's one device 2 discs 2 devices and so on. I have a two disc service and my family regular uses two devices at the same time.
My roommate only payed for streaming and I remember at least one instance where he was watching Netflix in the living room on his Xbox and I was watching Netflix in my room on my Xbox.
Old April 1 2012, 09:13 AM   #8
RoJoHen
Awesome

If you have a Netflix account with Instant Streaming, you can watch it on any Netflix-ready device. All you have to do is log in.
Old April 1 2012, 02:03 PM   #9
Starbreaker
Fleet Admiral

View Starbreaker's Twitter Profile

Timby wrote: View Post
Kelso wrote: View Post
One quick note, though -- you can only be logged into one account from one device at a time. You can't be watching on an Xbox in the living room while someone else is watching on a laptop in the bedroom, so on and so forth. But, yes, Netflix is available on just about every device under the sun: We use it on Xbox, Wii, iPad, phones and laptops.
I only have the streaming service and it's constantly running on two devices at once. It might just be that you can't access it from two IP addresses at once.
Old April 1 2012, 07:38 PM   #10
bigdaddy
Vice Admiral

brian577 wrote: View Post
That makes zero sense.

People don't have both the DVDs and the streaming, a lot have one or another. So what happens when you only stream?
Old April 1 2012, 09:41 PM   #11
RoJoHen
Awesome

Streaming service has absolutely nothing to do with the number of discs you get.
Old April 1 2012, 10:28 PM   #12
Starbreaker
Fleet Admiral

It actually is according to their FAQ
Can I watch movies instantly on more than one PC or Netflix-ready device?
A:
Some membership plans allow you to watch simultaneously on more than one personal computer or Netflix-ready device. If you are on the Unlimited Streaming plan, the Unlimited Streaming + 1 DVD out-at-a-time plan or a limited streaming plan, you may watch only one device at a time.
If you are on the Unlimited Streaming + 2 DVDs out-at-a-time plan, you may watch on up to two devices at a time. Members on the Unlimited Streaming + 3 DVDs out-at-a-time plan may watch on up to three devices at a time. The maximum is four devices at a time -- available for members on the Unlimited Streaming + 4-or greater DVDs out-at-a-time plan.
Although, I just have unlimited streaming and it's not limiting me to a device number yet. I think I've had 3 going at once.
Old April 1 2012, 11:22 PM   #13
Aldo
Admiral

That's good, I guess I could have just went to the Netflix page. I guess I assumed it was limited to the same type of console, like if I had a subscription on a 360 only other 360's could play it. But thinking about it, that doesn't really make sense in the long run.
Old April 2 2012, 12:07 AM   #14
Snaploud
Admiral

I'm on a steaming-only account, and I've never had a problem running netflix streaming on my roku and a computer at the same time.
Snaploud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 2 2012, 01:06 AM   #15
Starbreaker
Fleet Admiral

Netflix also updated their number of streaming devices per account recently to 50. I don't know who in the world could use 50 devices unless you were unlawfully sharing.