Kirk’s Well Wishes To Kirk
By: T'Bonz on Apr 15

Quinto In New Starz Series
By: T'Bonz on Apr 15

Star Trek: Horizon Film
By: T'Bonz on Apr 14

Star Trek: Fleet Captains Game Expansion
By: T'Bonz on Apr 14

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old April 10 2012, 12:13 AM   #91
Admiral_Young
Fleet Admiral

View Admiral_Young's Twitter Profile
Re: Avengers Vs. X-Men -- Speculation, Spoilers, and Discussion

The writing for trade technique was really apparent, I thought in Matt Fraction's horrendous and now pretty much pointless "Fear Its Self" book. Every single issue of that book felt like it was "trade ready" already.

Ignoring the The Last Stand since 2011.
Admiral_Young is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 12 2012, 01:44 AM   #92
Turtletrekker
Vice Admiral

Despite being labeled an AvX crossover, New Avengers 24 doesn't really have much to do with AvX. It's a Luke and Jessica story using AvX as a frame. I was hoping for a little expansion on Storm's reaction to the situation as seen in the preview, but there is none. As I said in the other thread, I buy NA anyway, and like Luke and Jessica, so I don't feel gipped by the story, but if you're buying it for the AvX connection, you may be disappointed.

Last edited by Turtletrekker; April 12 2012 at 02:48 AM.
Turtletrekker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 12 2012, 01:47 AM   #93
Hound of UIster
Rear Admiral

Luke Cage = Bendis Insert.
Hound of UIster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 12 2012, 01:48 AM   #94
Saga
Rear Admiral

Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Saga Send a message via Yahoo to Saga

Turtletrekker wrote: View Post
Despite being labeled an AvX crossover, New Avengers 24 doesn't really have much to do with AvX. It's a Luke and Jessica story using AvX as a frame. I was hoping for a little expansion on Storm's reaction to the situation as seen in the preview, but there is none. As I said in the other thread, I buy NA anyway and like Luke and Jessica, so I don't feel gipped by the story, but if you're buying it for the AvX connection, you may be disappointed.
yeah, i have no interest in Luke and Jessica and was expecting some AvX story. i assume Storm's allegiance will be addressed in a future issue of Uncanny X-Men...maybe.
Old April 12 2012, 02:21 AM   #95
M'rk, son of Mogh
Rear Admiral

Admiral_Young wrote: View Post
While I'm excited for "Spider-Men" in June, I'm wary over how he is going to write 616 Peter. It's probably going to be the same as he writes him in Avengers, which is as comedic fodder. I agree with House of UIster he is too rooted now to change or evolve as a writer.
I think Bendis writes him like that mostly to just give him a larger identity so he doesn't get lost in the crowd.

I bet without the group to distract from the show, his 616 Peter will work. (Could be wrong, but that's simply my thoughts)
M'rk, son of Mogh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 13 2012, 05:16 AM   #96
Turtletrekker
Vice Admiral

Preview for AvX 2 and next week's AvX crossovers... Funny how Storm just shows up out of the blue on Utopia. Wasn't she just in New York when the Avengers were planning this thing? Did she beat the heli-carrier west by riding winds? No advance warning to Cyclops? Nothing from Storm to Cyclops saying that she knew this was coming? WTF?

Last edited by Turtletrekker; April 13 2012 at 05:49 AM.
Old April 13 2012, 11:39 PM   #97
ReadyAndWilling
Fleet Captain

does anyone have a list of the big marvel events from the past few years?

An obsessive Science-Fiction Geek at heart with a touch of Muscle Nerd on top.
ReadyAndWilling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 13 2012, 11:48 PM   #98
Hound of UIster
Rear Admiral

Secret War
Avengers DisAssembled
House of M
Civil War
World War Hulk
Secret Invasion
Messiah Complex
Dark Reign
Utopia
Siege
Fear Itself
Second Coming
Schism
Old April 14 2012, 03:44 AM   #99
Admiral_Young
Fleet Admiral

Storm's abrupt arrival doesn't surprise me at all. As fast as she left the strategy meeting, is as fast as she arrives to Utopia lol.

Old April 18 2012, 05:05 AM   #100
Turtletrekker
Vice Admiral

Here is a non-spoiler advance review of AvX 2.
Old April 18 2012, 03:04 PM   #101
Allyn Gibson
Vice Admiral

View Allyn Gibson's Twitter Profile Send a message via AIM to Allyn Gibson Send a message via Yahoo to Allyn Gibson

Issue #2 is out today.
• As the opening shot is fired, the Avengers storm the beach of Utopia, and the Phoenix draws ever nearer to Earth!
• But which side will Wolverine fight on?
• And what choice will Hope make that will change the direction and scope of the conflict dramatically?
Some thoughts.

Jason Aaron scripts this. After liking his work on AVX #0, I'm not impressed with his work here. The dialogue, what little of it there is, is fine. It's the caption boxes that are annoying; I find them pretentious rather than portentious.

Cyclops continues to come off badly in this, and the way the situation develops it's very hard to see the X-Men in general in anything but a poor light.

It's difficult to say whether or not the book works on its own. I was entertained by it, but in a "Oh, you've got to be kidding me" sort of way. The last page really opens up the scope of the series, and I'm curious to see where that plotline goes. For the rest, sixteen pages of "Saving Private Ryan on Utopia's Beach," it's meh.

allyngibson.net
Allyn Gibson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 18 2012, 06:35 PM   #102
Hound of UIster
Rear Admiral

I wonder if JRJR has a drug problem otherwise, he might want to think about another profession.
Old April 18 2012, 10:07 PM   #103
Admiral_Young
Fleet Admiral

Scott pretty much is the villain in this event. Not due to actions perse, but because as others have explained already due to his philosophical stance and unwillingness to budge on Hope. He has become a desperate man leading a desperate people. Remember that teaser image Marvel release almost a year ago now of him wearing Magneto's costume? That turned out to be very symbolic and more true than any of us would suspected as Erik himself asked Scott in the first issue "You sound like I me Scott".

I have yet to read the issue, but interested to know that the X-Men roster roll call in the front has now expanded to include all of Scott's team on Utopia, and has Logan and Storm in the middle. I suspect with Jason Aaron writing this issue that it will be better than the opener.

Old April 19 2012, 12:36 AM   #104
DarthPipes
Rear Admiral

Issue #2 was much better. The action was great and made up for Aaron's embarrassing, groan-inducing writing. Those dialogue captions were just embarrassing.
DarthPipes is online now   Reply With Quote
Old April 19 2012, 01:25 AM   #105
Turtletrekker
Vice Admiral

Admiral_Young wrote: View Post
Scott pretty much is the villain in this event.
And how are the actions of Captain America and the Avengers any more acemptable than Scott's?

Put yourself in Scott's shoes for a minute. Joe Government knocks on your door and basically says, "Hello, even though she has done nothing to deserve it, we're here to take your grand-daughter (son/daughter/grandson/wife/husband/parents/whatever) away from you and into our custody because of something she hasn't done yet but might do, based on the opinion of a psychopath who holds a massive grudge against you"? Don't tell me that you wouldn't be pissed. That you wouldn't resist in some way. Stuff like this is why so many right-wing gun-nuts so revere the 2nd Amendment, to protect yourself and yours in case the government comes after it.

Personally, I'm not seeing anything but villains on either side here. If Cap didn't want a fight, he shouldn't have brought 20 Avengers to watch his back. Wolverine, in particular, is being a monumental ass.

Last edited by Turtletrekker; April 19 2012 at 02:54 AM.