RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 147,717
Posts: 5,842,390
Members: 26,183
Currently online: 413
Newest member: dean 1960


Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.


Go Back   The Trek BBS > Misc. Star Trek > Trek Literature

Trek Literature "...Good words. That's where ideas begin."

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old June 11 2012, 04:45 AM   #301
Violet.Phoenix
Commander
 
Violet.Phoenix's Avatar
 
Location: A distant corner of the Zeta Quadrant...
Re: Star Trek Voyager: The Eternal Tide by Kirsten Beyer

I think that when it comes to killing off major players in a series it really depends on the series itself and the overarcing story within it. It's true that Janeway's purpose was to get her crew home, something that was driven across through the entirety of Voyager.

That being said, I have previously stated that I did not like her death in the novel "Before Dishonor". Some believe it to be heroic; I disagree. I do want Janeway back, but others do not. There is no universal truth in this because we are all stating our opinions, some of which clearly differ. If Janeway comes back, I will be very pleased. If not, I can live with the fact that Kirsten Beyer will continue to write great Voyager stories with the rest of the crew, who have been touched by Janeway and how she lead them home.
__________________
"It's never easy, but if we turn our backs on our principles we stop being human." - Kathryn Janeway, "Equinox Part 1".
Violet.Phoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 11 2012, 01:18 PM   #302
rfmcdpei
Captain
 
rfmcdpei's Avatar
 
Location: Toronto, Ontario, Canada
View rfmcdpei's Twitter Profile
Re: Star Trek Voyager: The Eternal Tide by Kirsten Beyer

Violet.Phoenix wrote: View Post
I think that when it comes to killing off major players in a series it really depends on the series itself and the overarcing story within it. It's true that Janeway's purpose was to get her crew home, something that was driven across through the entirety of Voyager.

That being said, I have previously stated that I did not like her death in the novel "Before Dishonor". Some believe it to be heroic; I disagree. I do want Janeway back, but others do not. There is no universal truth in this because we are all stating our opinions, some of which clearly differ. If Janeway comes back, I will be very pleased. If not, I can live with the fact that Kirsten Beyer will continue to write great Voyager stories with the rest of the crew, who have been touched by Janeway and how she lead them home.
There were a lot of problems involved with the execution of Before Dishonor, characterization flaws included. It did seem credible on the face of it, given Janeway's propensity to take risks with the Borg.
rfmcdpei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 11 2012, 01:28 PM   #303
Relayer1
Rear Admiral
 
Relayer1's Avatar
 
Location: The Black Country, England
Re: Star Trek Voyager: The Eternal Tide by Kirsten Beyer

I have never liked Janeway much and don't really miss her, but as I'd like Data to return, I can't complain about people wanting her back.

I wouldn't be upset if is done well...
__________________
Soon oh soon the light, Pass within and soothe this endless night, And wait here for you, Our reason to be here...
Relayer1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 11 2012, 02:47 PM   #304
Shon T'Hara
Lieutenant Commander
 
Shon T'Hara's Avatar
 
Re: Star Trek Voyager: The Eternal Tide by Kirsten Beyer

I hate Janeway and even I want to see her come back.

So she can die again.

Tuvix -- Never forget!
__________________
My blog | Goodreads
What will the producers of Star Trek: Voyager do now that Tupac is dead?
-Lucy A. Snyder
Shon T'Hara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 11 2012, 03:30 PM   #305
zarkon
Captain
 
zarkon's Avatar
 
Re: Star Trek Voyager: The Eternal Tide by Kirsten Beyer

I often wonder what was worse - the personal murder of tuvix or the impersonal destruction of an entire timelines worth of people that she didn't even give much thought too.

the mass murder I guess.
__________________
In defeat, malice. In victory, revenge.
zarkon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 11 2012, 04:36 PM   #306
MatthiasRussell
Fleet Captain
 
MatthiasRussell's Avatar
 
Location: Seattle
Re: Star Trek Voyager: The Eternal Tide by Kirsten Beyer

rfmcdpei wrote: View Post
It did seem credible on the face of it, given Janeway's propensity to take risks with the Borg.
True. Janeway was assimilated twice in the series. Part of Before Dishonor was the Q trying to teach Janeway some humility- that she wasn't indestructible or able to be in control of all situations.

I don't know how anyone can consider Janeway's death heroic. Her death was brought on by her own arrogance and pride. Her assimilation, which was the result of her unwillingness to listen to the Q, resulted in the loss of many lives, ships, and Pluto!!!
__________________
"Can anyone remember when we used to be explorers?"
MatthiasRussell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 11 2012, 07:20 PM   #307
Forevertj
Ensign
 
Re: Star Trek Voyager: The Eternal Tide by Kirsten Beyer

Sci wrote: View Post
Forevertj, I strongly disagree with you, for reasons Christopher has already outlined. But wherever we stand on this issue, I just want to wish you a speedy and complete recovery!

I called the Doctor and was told that he saw the X-rays and that my sternum had swelling. I don't know what an obvious "knot" in one place has to do with overall swelling of the complete sternum, but I was told not to worry and to come back in two weeks if it doesn't go away or shrink.

I honestly don't remember it happening. That is why it scared me. It feels like solid rock (bone in this case) not a mass of anything else. I was told in two weeks he would order a cat scan if it didn't go away. So since he didn't order it immediately, that is a good sign.

So since I might live (joking) I am here to argue!!!


Forevertj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 11 2012, 07:21 PM   #308
Forevertj
Ensign
 
Re: Star Trek Voyager: The Eternal Tide by Kirsten Beyer

zarkon wrote: View Post
Forevertj wrote: View Post
I was hoping I could make a statement and that would be it. I am not here to argue. I don't have the energy or desire to argue. We are fans. If you don't like what a fan says, ignore them, but don't challenge them. This is a fan forum, not a debate forum.
...it's a forum

the clue is in the name


I know that. I just don't want to argue.

I hope the story doesn't offend anyone: Meaning, make them not want to read any more.
Forevertj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 11 2012, 07:29 PM   #309
Forevertj
Ensign
 
Re: Star Trek Voyager: The Eternal Tide by Kirsten Beyer

Relayer1 wrote: View Post
Forevertj wrote: View Post
I was hoping I could make a statement and that would be it. I am not here to argue. I don't have the energy or desire to argue. We are fans. If you don't like what a fan says, ignore them, but don't challenge them. This is a fan forum, not a debate forum.
You are quite entitled to your opinion. No one can say you are wrong for wanting Janeway back - that is how you feel, but it is JUST YOUR OPINION.

This is a forum for discussion - not a space that you can justy make a statement and leave it, people will have DIFFERENT opinions. If you say something, you have to be prepared to support it...

The thing is, I don't challenge anyone's opinion. I simply expected the same in return. I never do that kind of thing. It's pointless to argue on a forum. I let people say what they want to and if they don't agree, I move on. what good would it do for me to challenge them? It's not like they are going to say, "Gee, TJ, you are right, I am sorry". That's not going to happen, so why bother?


I think the problem is that just because you can voice your opinion it doesn't mean that you can be hassled over it. I love Star Trek. Gene would not like to see fans arguing over it. I know he wouldn't. He wanted the future to be free of all the bad things humans do. I would imagine hostile internet arguments would be another thing he would to do away with.


Remember, just because you don't feel you are hassling someone, doesn't mean that someone is not feeling hassled. That's why I never argue. I respect you all. Why wouldn't I?

Forevertj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 11 2012, 07:31 PM   #310
captcalhoun
Admiral
 
Location: everywhere
Re: Star Trek Voyager: The Eternal Tide by Kirsten Beyer

try not to multi-post. the mods don't appreciate it.
captcalhoun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 11 2012, 07:34 PM   #311
Forevertj
Ensign
 
Re: Star Trek Voyager: The Eternal Tide by Kirsten Beyer

captcalhoun wrote: View Post
try not to multi-post. the mods don't appreciate it.

How can I respond to seperate post without quoting them? Did I do something other than that? Ok, I will leave this thread then. I am sorry.

How else do you respond to more than one person?

Last edited by Forevertj; June 11 2012 at 07:36 PM. Reason: forgot to say something
Forevertj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 11 2012, 07:45 PM   #312
Defcon
Rear Admiral
 
Defcon's Avatar
 
Location: Germany
View Defcon's Twitter Profile
Re: Star Trek Voyager: The Eternal Tide by Kirsten Beyer

Beside the Quote button is a multiquote button. With that you can "collect" multiple quotes you want to respond to.
Defcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 11 2012, 07:53 PM   #313
rfmcdpei
Captain
 
rfmcdpei's Avatar
 
Location: Toronto, Ontario, Canada
View rfmcdpei's Twitter Profile
Re: Star Trek Voyager: The Eternal Tide by Kirsten Beyer

Forevertj wrote: View Post
Sci wrote: View Post
Forevertj, I strongly disagree with you, for reasons Christopher has already outlined. But wherever we stand on this issue, I just want to wish you a speedy and complete recovery!
I called the Doctor and was told that he saw the X-rays and that my sternum had swelling. I don't know what an obvious "knot" in one place has to do with overall swelling of the complete sternum, but I was told not to worry and to come back in two weeks if it doesn't go away or shrink.

I honestly don't remember it happening. That is why it scared me. It feels like solid rock (bone in this case) not a mass of anything else. I was told in two weeks he would order a cat scan if it didn't go away. So since he didn't order it immediately, that is a good sign.

So since I might live (joking) I am here to argue!!!

Yay!
rfmcdpei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 11 2012, 08:16 PM   #314
Relayer1
Rear Admiral
 
Relayer1's Avatar
 
Location: The Black Country, England
Re: Star Trek Voyager: The Eternal Tide by Kirsten Beyer

Forevertj wrote: View Post
Relayer1 wrote: View Post
Forevertj wrote: View Post
I was hoping I could make a statement and that would be it. I am not here to argue. I don't have the energy or desire to argue. We are fans. If you don't like what a fan says, ignore them, but don't challenge them. This is a fan forum, not a debate forum.
You are quite entitled to your opinion. No one can say you are wrong for wanting Janeway back - that is how you feel, but it is JUST YOUR OPINION.

This is a forum for discussion - not a space that you can justy make a statement and leave it, people will have DIFFERENT opinions. If you say something, you have to be prepared to support it...

The thing is, I don't challenge anyone's opinion. I simply expected the same in return. I never do that kind of thing. It's pointless to argue on a forum. I let people say what they want to and if they don't agree, I move on. what good would it do for me to challenge them? It's not like they are going to say, "Gee, TJ, you are right, I am sorry". That's not going to happen, so why bother?


I think the problem is that just because you can voice your opinion it doesn't mean that you can be hassled over it. I love Star Trek. Gene would not like to see fans arguing over it. I know he wouldn't. He wanted the future to be free of all the bad things humans do. I would imagine hostile internet arguments would be another thing he would to do away with.


Remember, just because you don't feel you are hassling someone, doesn't mean that someone is not feeling hassled. That's why I never argue. I respect you all. Why wouldn't I?

You're very non confrontational - I like that 'live and let live' approach. I'm just not used to it on the internet !

There's a lot of what I'd call 'banter' and most of it is good natured. Pretty much any post can be a starting point - for instance your comment about Gene - I respect what he started, but firmly believe Trek got better when he was sidelined - DS9 wouldn't have happened at all without the character conflict he avoided so carefully.

I will, however, try not to 'bite' when you post, after all, I think you're probably a better human being than I am...

__________________
Soon oh soon the light, Pass within and soothe this endless night, And wait here for you, Our reason to be here...
Relayer1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 12 2012, 03:19 AM   #315
Violet.Phoenix
Commander
 
Violet.Phoenix's Avatar
 
Location: A distant corner of the Zeta Quadrant...
Re: Star Trek Voyager: The Eternal Tide by Kirsten Beyer

rfmcdpei wrote: View Post
Violet.Phoenix wrote: View Post
I think that when it comes to killing off major players in a series it really depends on the series itself and the overarcing story within it. It's true that Janeway's purpose was to get her crew home, something that was driven across through the entirety of Voyager.

That being said, I have previously stated that I did not like her death in the novel "Before Dishonor". Some believe it to be heroic; I disagree. I do want Janeway back, but others do not. There is no universal truth in this because we are all stating our opinions, some of which clearly differ. If Janeway comes back, I will be very pleased. If not, I can live with the fact that Kirsten Beyer will continue to write great Voyager stories with the rest of the crew, who have been touched by Janeway and how she lead them home.
There were a lot of problems involved with the execution of Before Dishonor, characterization flaws included. It did seem credible on the face of it, given Janeway's propensity to take risks with the Borg.
I will agree that some of the characterizations didn't feel quite right, and personally I felt like it was just too much all in one book. Along with that, there were some scientific things that irked me because of how implausible they seemed.

I'll admit that it does seem credible for Janeway's risk-taking to come back and bite her in the ass, but being turned into the Borg Queen? Nuh uh.

Shon T'Hara wrote: View Post
I hate Janeway and even I want to see her come back.

So she can die again.

Tuvix -- Never forget!
Come on, dying once is more than enough in my books.

MatthiasRussell wrote: View Post
rfmcdpei wrote: View Post
It did seem credible on the face of it, given Janeway's propensity to take risks with the Borg.
True. Janeway was assimilated twice in the series. Part of Before Dishonor was the Q trying to teach Janeway some humility- that she wasn't indestructible or able to be in control of all situations.

I don't know how anyone can consider Janeway's death heroic. Her death was brought on by her own arrogance and pride. Her assimilation, which was the result of her unwillingness to listen to the Q, resulted in the loss of many lives, ships, and Pluto!!!
Technically Janeway was only assimilated once, as the second time was her future self being assimilated in "Endgame". Yes, Janeway did have a bit of a superiority complex, but think about where she was and the circumstances she was in; she had to be assertive and determined. She wasn't going to be able to settle everything by a game of 3-D chess for pete's sake!

I do not consider Janeway's death heroic at all. I can see how some people might consider it as such, but to me she had lost so much of herself in asimilation that there was almost nothing left to sacrifice. She was turned into the very thing that she despised and swore to protect the Federation against, how is that heroic?

That being said, I do not hold Janeway responsible for what happened after her assmilation; that was the action of the Borg Collective using her knowledge to break through the Federation's stronghold. Janeway was not in control of anything after her assmilation; she was a prisoner in her own mind being held there by the consciousness of the Borg Queen while they used all that she was to try and destroy the Federation.
__________________
"It's never easy, but if we turn our backs on our principles we stop being human." - Kathryn Janeway, "Equinox Part 1".
Violet.Phoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT +1. The time now is 05:19 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
FireFox 2+ or Internet Explorer 7+ highly recommended.